The Running Thread - 2018

While we're talking shoes and there are some NB fans here... have any of you tried the NB 1500 v4? I've been using the Vazee Prism 2 for speedwork, but they're going to need to retire soon-ish and they stopped making them. Wondering if the 1500 might be a suitable replacement...

I wore brooks up until they came out with the ghost 8. It just wasn’t the same shoe and didn’t fit my foot properly. They were awfully narrow even in a wide width. I changed to the Glycerin. Well then they changed the Glycerin. The top of my foot wouldn’t fit properly in the shoe. It looked like my foot was trying to squeeze through between the laces. The Ghosts were still too narrow so I ended up in New Balance. Someone posted that the ghost changed again and they added the width back to the toe box. I needed new shoes so I gave them a try and now that’s what I wear again!

Have you (or anyone else) seen or tried the new Glycerine 16s? They redid the toe box and the shoe just looks......my technical term would be....COOLER.

I'm hanging on to my Glycerine 13s a little longer but curious to see if the 16s are an improvement from the last two models.

I usually have two pairs on the go, and track mileage through Garmin & Strava. I used to run in Mizuno Wave Rider (could comfortably get 800km from a pair) but the latest iterations were giving me calf and achilles problems and were retired at 600km. I'm trying Nike Pegasus 35's which are super comfy and don't cause issues, but with only 350km on the clock I have work through the outsole! I just bought a pair of Brooks Ghost 11s, they are feeling pretty good so far.

While we're talking shoes and there are some NB fans here... have any of you tried the NB 1500 v4? I've been using the Vazee Prism 2 for speedwork, but they're going to need to retire soon-ish and they stopped making them. Wondering if the 1500 might be a suitable replacement...

I just started running in my first pair of 1500v4s and 12 miles in I think I like them even better than the 1500v3s (of which I'm on my third pair, one of which also only has about 12 miles on them). I don't know how to compare them to the Vazee Prisms but if you like a very light, low drop shoe then they're worth checking out for sure!

I just started running in my first pair of 1500v4s and 12 miles in I think I like them even better than the 1500v3s (of which I'm on my third pair, one of which also only has about 12 miles on them). I don't know how to compare them to the Vazee Prisms but if you like a very light, low drop shoe then they're worth checking out for sure!
Thanks! Yep, light, low-drop, a touch of stability is exactly what I want.

I find that running on a rubber track and treadmill (as opposed to pavement) significantly increases running shoe longevity. Since a high percentage of my mileage is not on pavement my tipping point seems to be about 550-600 miles.

Current rotation is one set of Brooks Glycerin 14 and one Glycerin 16 for longer training runs, On Cloudsurfer x 2 for speed training and longer races, and On Cloudflash for shorter races.

Have you (or anyone else) seen or tried the new Glycerine 16s? They redid the toe box and the shoe just looks......my technical term would be....COOLER.

I'm hanging on to my Glycerine 13s a little longer but curious to see if the 16s are an improvement from the last two models.

I did not care for the 15s. Tested out the 16s and have been running in them for two months. I think they are a significant improvement.

I can't make up my mind about the 14s. I have one set that I love and one set that isn't so great. One is much softer and the other seems more rigid. They are different color schemes but I can't imagine that makes any difference. Perhaps I have a dud? Unfortunately, I just retired the set that I love.

I am a larger runner (both tall and a bit heavy :) ) and I needed a good stability shoe (best advice I ever had was to get fitted). I have been running in Saucony Guides ever since and have loved them. However, I just switched into a new pair , getting the Saucony Guide ISO and they are a big improvement even over the old shoe. I have always appreciated Saucony having a wide toe box. Makes my running much more comfortable...

I am a larger runner (both tall and a bit heavy :) ) and I needed a good stability shoe (best advice I ever had was to get fitted). I have been running in Saucony Guides ever since and have loved them. However, I just switched into a new pair , getting the Saucony Guide ISO and they are a big improvement even over the old shoe. I have always appreciated Saucony having a wide toe box. Makes my running much more comfortable...

I wore the guides for a while. They weren't for me (I don't need a stability shoe ... how I ended up in one is a bit of a mystery), but I thought it was a good shoe. I've heard a lot of good things about all of the new ISO shoes, so if I ever needed stability shoes again, I'd definitely check out the Guide ISO. I'm very happy to hear that they work well for you.

ATTQOTD: When we delve into these kinds of questions is when I learn the most about y'all and how little I actually might know about running and safety (is that the right term?). When people say they have different shoes for different training days (long run vs speed work) I am always so intrigued by how you even come to what shoe works best for different runs, etc. ANYWAY, I do own multiple pairs of shoes, but this is a new 2018 thing for me. I used to be a one pair runner but I also never trained as hard as I do now, so I have never really had to think about this too much. I aim for anywhere between 400-500 miles a pair before maybe retiring them. If they aren't bothering me, I will just do shorter runs on them. I have a new back up pair ready to go that I might give a few runs in and then wear them for my race in 18 days (!!!). Otherwise, I will buy a new pair of shoes if they are a) on sale and b) super cute.

I second your wondering about this. While I answered this question in general, I feel like a bit of a fake because I'm not even sure which running shoe I am currently using. I know it's a Brooks, but I can't remember for sure which model or version. And they aren't that old...

The Headache Thing: Take CoQ10. I almost never get headaches anymore, unless my sleep has been severely messed up.

The Shoe Thing: My name is Bobby and I have a shoe problem. I buy shoes faster than I retire them, which takes a long time because I have a lot of them, and I keep most in rotation (so long as they don't produce a negative reaction). I would LOVE to be able to get down to that 3 pair rotation, but, again, I have a problem.

I second your wondering about this. While I answered this question in general, I feel like a bit of a fake because I'm not even sure which running shoe I am currently using. I know it's a Brooks, but I can't remember for sure which model or version. And they aren't that old...

For the first like 4 months I wore the Saucony Guides I called them "Glides" because all I knew was that they started with a G and that sounded more like a running shoe. I think the fact that they're on your feet matters more than what they're called :)

With @LSUlakes MIA (probably busy with work or family stuff is my guess :)), I'll jump in with a QOTD.

QOTD: When do you buy new shoes? Do you wait until your old shoes are retired before buying new shoes? Do you buy new shoes before you retire the old ones? Do you just buy shoes when they're on sale whether or not you need them? And if you do buy new shoes before your old ones are retired, do you start using them right away or wait until the old ones are retired?
(For those of you still on your first pair of shoes, feel free to either tell us what you're thinking of doing in the future or just sit back and take in the responses)

I'm only on my second pair of running shoes and this is reminding me that I need to get my training spreadsheet started if only so I can track miles on my shoes (or get around to setting up a Strava account so I can do it on there, one of those things. Or both). I felt the need to buy a new pair of shoes because I had absolutely no idea how many miles I'd put on the old ones (I bought them in 2015, but hadn't been running actively between then and now), and because the tread was starting to get visibly worn and I figured that was a sign. This time around I want to track numbers and keep an eye on how things feel once I hit the distances people commonly cite as the breaking point for when they replace their shoes. I do want to buy the next pair before I retire these ones because I think being able to start a rotation when I'm trying to think about whether they need to be retired will help me compare and be more sure of whether they're feeling worn down. And, too, I plan to buy at least one new pair of shoes every May, since that's when we visit a neighboring city with a running store I like. Otherwise I'll just have to re-order whatever I'm currently wearing or do my own fitting at the general sporting goods store if I find I need them at a different time of year.

And right now I'm on kind of a rotation between new shoes and old ones because I found that the new shoes need more heavily cushioned socks in order to get the kind of fit I prefer. So while I have enough light-cushion Feetures to do an entire week's runs in the old shoes before doing laundry, I have only one pair of the "max cushion" Feetures. I'm half tempted to just wear two pairs of the lightweight socks until next pay period ($15 per pair!!!), but I'm worried it'll backfire and I'll get blisters, so for now I've just been wearing the old shoes whenever the cushier socks aren't clean -- so two of my three runs each week.

But hey. I have a question for anyone who's done a fun run with beer provided (or had beer during a race, period). Did you get nauseous from drinking and running? There's a brewery-sponsored fun run in September with at least one beer station on the course and I want to register, but I also want to have a plan for enjoying both the run and the beer without making myself yarp. It's only 2.53 miles and untimed, and I do intend to run/walk at a pretty easy interval, but considering 3 miles is my current long run it's still a significant distance for me.

:drinking1

I commented to a friend that this must be what non-PC gamers feel like when people start talking about video cards.

But hey. I have a question for anyone who's done a fun run with beer provided (or had beer during a race, period). Did you get nauseous from drinking and running? There's a brewery-sponsored fun run in September with at least one beer station on the course and I want to register, but I also want to have a plan for enjoying both the run and the beer without making myself yarp. It's only 2.53 miles and untimed, and I do intend to run/walk at a pretty easy interval, but considering 3 miles is my current long run it's still a significant distance for me.

I think it depends on how much beer :) There have been several half marathons I've done where supporters have set up an informal beer stop. But really it's like a shot glass amount of beer, not a full serving or anything. I found that it gave me a nice little added push at around mile 10 of a half! So if it's not a ton of beer and you don't have to run that much after the beer stop, I think you'll be fine.

ATTQOTD: I replace mine around 250-300 miles. I think I am a mid-to-forefoot runner and I know I supinate, because I shred through the outersole on the outside half of the forefoot in about that much time while the sole on the heel still looks pristine. I usually just wait until I'm ready to get a new pair and then I buy them and start using them, although in the past I have stocked up on some models when they are on clearance at LeftLane Sports or Running Warehouse.

I am not currently tracking my miles on my speed shoes because I really only wear them to OTF.

In March, I did four 5ks in a row with a little 20 min break between each one. Except the break between the third one and the last one was like 1.5 hours, so I hung out in the beer garden and everyone kept giving me beer tickets. Before I knew it, I was pretty hammered and at the start line. I ran that one second fastest of the four 5ks I did that day. Would I recommend it? Nahhhh. But enjoying a little booze on a course has never done me wrong. I am actually still surprised that I didn't vomit that race. Haha.

I do the Poulsbo Beer Run twice a year, which in its current form is 6 brewery stops on a 4 mile course. I've both run and walked the distance. I think the key to finishing something like that without yarping is to take your time drinking them and be careful with the darker beers. The only stomach problem I've had in that even was because I grabbed a stout for my pre-run beer and they announced my wave was starting in 5 minutes right after I started. Thankfully, I only had to run .25 miles after chugging that beer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter