The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Of the Disney races you have run or planning to run, tell us about two of your favorite spots along the course and two spots that you do not like. With W&D, Marathon weekend, and Star Wars weekends all on the horizon, maybe some of our answers can help prepare those who havent run a Disney race can be better prepared for the good and bad of the different races.

My two favorite parts of Disney races no longer exist. #1 was the early morning run through Epcot for the full in January and #2 was the run through the Osborne lights when W&D was a night race. Least favorite has to be the run back to Epcot after going through MK in the January full. It is just so boring.

Speaking of nope@nope.com ... one of my best girlfriends is running the Leadville 100 tomorrow. She's been there "camping" in her car as she acclimates to the elevation, since we live in a REALLY flat part of North Texas and this is what the course looks like:

View attachment 344487
Anyway - if you are so inclined, just send up some good vibes for #Bib789 this weekend!
All I see in that profile is the devil and his horns. I am impressed with anyone who shows up to the start!

I was able to set the interval, but it just made my wrist buzz. I need to figure out how to get it to talk to me lol.

Does anyone else find running indoors significantly harder? I run slower and it ...hurts my ankles? I don't feel that pain running outdoors. But ugh. It's been SO hot.

Tracking runs is also more annoying indoors as well.

I really just can't run at any pace other than super-easy on a treadmill and commit to it. It just seems so hard and somehow even if I watch TV or a movie, there isn't enough distraction to keep me from wanting to take breaks. Much better to run outside, even if it's really hot. This summer I have found the T+D adjustments to be sufficient to keep me from feeling like I'm going to die.

ATTQOTD:
Favs- I've run princess and Wine and Dine. Love the choir at the end of princess. For the Wine and Dine half, I didn't really look at the course beforehand, so I kinda forgot which parks we'd be running through. It was nice to not realize a park was coming until I was about to run through it. Oh, and Boardwalk!

Least fav- that long stretch coming up on Epcot at the end of princess. And whichever part of Wine and Dine made me pull over and dry heave last year. Maybe mile 10? That sucked.

QOTD: Of the Disney races you have run or planning to run, tell us about two of your favorite spots along the course and two spots that you do not like. With W&D, Marathon weekend, and Star Wars weekends all on the horizon, maybe some of our answers can help prepare those who havent run a Disney race can be better prepared for the good and bad of the different races.

ATTQOTD: I've only run the marathon so my answers will pertain to that particular race. The good: Early on in the race, running down main street. Crowds are awesome and the view is magical. My other choice is entering Hollywood Studios. I know once I get there I am nearly done and I am likely to finish the race. Also at that point there are plenty of things to look at to keep my mind off of how uncomfortable I am. Now for the bad: The portion of the course that is a out and back with the u-turn. Making the turn just kills my momentum, its just the worse. My second choice had two options and after much thought it has to go to with the ESPN World Wide of Sports. For starters, it seems to take forever to get through. I think the reason for it is because of how many turns you take while in it and the narrow paths you run on. I do like the little time on the track and the baseball field. It doesnt help that near the end of this section of the course is where one would typically hit the "wall". Once you leave though you feel a little relief as you watch others just about to start what you just finished, until a mile later when you deal with the only challenging hill / overpass of the course. They do make this part fun with the army guy from Toy Story though.

I have only done ToT and the full marathon. Since TOT was my first real race (my POT race had 150 people) I was very overwhelmed. I remember some stuff but I had a lot of stuff going on at home and I was just focused on trying not to get swept. I don't remember much about the course, other than the on and off ramps with those crazy angles that killed my ankles. Those I could have done without.

The full has a lot of likes and dislikes for me. I love the first few miles when you know you are approaching MK. Running down Main Street obviously. Running by the GF (my favorite resort). I like running through AK. WWOS sucks just because it feels like it will never end but I like that it's flat and has real bathrooms, as previously mentioned. I should say, real bathrooms without huge lines. Then I love the last stretch, once you enter HS. You are in the parks, you know you are almost done, and there is stuff to look at.

I am opposed to puking.

:)

Vomiting is my biggest phobia. I run for fun and enjoyment. If I run hard enough to vomit it has taken the enjoyment out for me.

Air Quality.PNG

UuuugggGGGGHHH

We daytripped yesterday and I finally got new shoes...but the smoke that rolled in from the wildfires while I was on my hiatus has persisted. Constant stuffy noses, more frequent headaches, all that fun stuff. Looks like instead of jumping right back in I'll be touring some gyms this week so I can try to set myself up for indoor runs.

QOTD: Have you ever taken a fall during a race or training run? If so describe the injury and let us know if you finished the run, called it a day, needed to take a few days off, ect...

ATTQOTD: I have fallen once before on a training run. It was still dark outside and on a route I run often where the paved pathway curves but everyone just runs through the dirt area. Well I misjudged the location of a tree root and my foot got caught on it causing me to not so gracefully fall. I put my hands out to prevent my face from getting destroyed and as i slid my finger slammed into another root. Luckily only 2-3 people saw, so initially only my pride was hurt. I was only a mile or two into a long run (I think it was 15 miles that day). I get up and start dusting myself off and see what the damage is. I had a nasty bruise on my thigh that was formed from the slide. It actually made a whole in my running shorts and it burned a bit but nothing I could not handle. Then I was dusting off my water bottles and thats when I realized something was not right with my finger. I looked down at it and from the knuckle it was bent sideways. A little moment of panic, but then I started to think about what to do here. I decided I was going to pull it outward and then over to get it straight again. It did not hurt that much, I guess because of the adrenaline. I ran the mile or so back to my truck to call my wife who was going to come out to campus later that day to see if she could bring some tape, so I could tape two fingers together. After that, I thought well theres nothing I can do here that I doctor will do differently so I went ahead and finished then run. Finger bothered me a bit during the run but I made it. Took a few months for it to finally work normal again but for now it works fine. I slow down a lot more now when I run that path when its still dark these days lol.

QOTD: Have you ever taken a fall during a race or training run? If so describe the injury and let us know if you finished the run, called it a day, needed to take a few days off, ect...
ATTQOTD: Yep, in the last few years, I have tripped and fallen 3 times on runs. It's not pretty when it happens. In all three cases I was on a sidewalk in busy areas and looking ahead at distance road conditions and/or traffic and didn't see heaves in the sidewalk. Luckily, I was able to get up and run with just some bruises and scraped up knees and palms but no major damage. As for people seeing me, the first time, I don't think anyone saw me. The second time, a car pulled over to see if I was OK. And the third time I fell in front of a whole group of pedestrians waiting at a light to cross a street. Very embarrassing!!

Last edited:
ATTQOTD:

I've fallen lots during training runs back when I had my unfixed ankle. If I looked it wrong, it seemed like I could fall. One of my better wipe outs was at Disney when I was running around POFQ/POR and tripped on a pine cone. Had to go buy a brace from Fit2Run to survive the rest of the trip and wobbled the rest of the weekend much to the damage to the ankle.

I've taken two falls while running. The first was during a training run after thunderstorms. The path through the park runs next to some elevated softball fields that drain across the pavement. In an ill-fated attempt not to splash through the standing water on the path, I took a step onto the upslope towards the fields. It was predictably muddy and I went right down. My entire right side was covered head to toe in mud. No injury, but I'm sure I looked odd running around half-covered in mud the rest of the training run.

The second was during a trail race this spring. I didn't know what to expect going into it and single track root-filled mountain bike trails certainly were not expected. It was a half marathon and I made it through 12 miles of having to watch every single step to avoid the roots before a fatigue and a lapse of concentration got me. I caught a toe on a root just at the start of a downhill section and rolled most of the way down the slope. I was doubly fortunate in that I only suffered minor elbow scrapes and a bruise to my pride and that no one was around to see it.

ATTQOTD: I've never fallen during a race but I did trip over a cone last year during a 5k and nearly bite it. I was able to save myself, but not without looking like a female version of Kramer and seriously embarrasing myself.

I've only fallen three times. Two were when I hit uneven patches of concrete and fell. Once I was able to fall into the grass and the other time my hands got a little scraped up. The third fall was on ice and got the hands a little scraped as well. I finished all three runs. No falls in races yet.

ATTQOTD: I've only fallen once (although I've stumbled numerous times). It was late December just a week or so before we were leaving for Disney for our first Goofy Challenge. Temps were right above freezing. Roads had been fine but we stepped onto a bridge to run across and it was a thin sheet of ice. Chris and I both hit the deck hard. Luckily neither of us were hurt, just a bit sore for a couple of days. My most interesting near fall was running early one morning down a dark street and stepping in a dead armadillo. YUCK! Those shoes had a good washing after that run!

I've fallen twice during training runs. The first was a long run and I was on a gravel section, just slipped on some loose gravel and face planted. I had some gravel in my knee and hand but I was only about a mile away from finishing anyway so just finished up and went home to get it all cleaned up. The second time was at the beginning of just doing 3 easy miles in my neighborhood. I saw a deer, got distracted and didn't notice the uneven sidewalk, and tripped. I brushed my self off and kept going. I didn't actually think I was hurt until I got home and my husband asked why my capris were ripped and I had blood on my leg! I must have been quite a sight. Thankfully it ended up just being a really deep skin on my knee but nothing too serious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter