The Running Thread - 2018

For anyone wondering how your summer running conditions compare with others, have a look at this map. The map below explains the multiple treadmill, late evening and very early runs for me. lol

Opressive_95F-1200x927.jpg

You see that teeny tiny part of Alabama on the Georgia line that is in the red? That's where I live. :rotfl2:

For anyone wondering how your summer running conditions compare with others, have a look at this map. The map below explains the multiple treadmill, late evening and very early runs for me. lol

I know MA is in the purple which makes it not seem too bad, but it has been brutal for those of us not used to this oppressive humidity. Bring on Fall

My immediate area is oppressively hot 24-7 this time of year, forget 12-6pm! But what keeps driving me to the treadmill is the lightning. 2 more months...

Conversation I'm having with a running friend discussing figuring out paces.

Me- So should I run a neighborhood 5k and base the next few months of training on that result?

Him - Just run by feel. Run til you feel like you're going to puke and then dial it back a bit so you don't puke.

Me- Solid advice. lol

ATTQOTD:

I have run marathon weekend 3 times.
W&D once in 2016 when they moved it to a day time run.
Avengers run in DL last November was a very disappointing course.
The spectators cheering
Running into AK during the marathon is energizing because it marks halfway.
Entering the boardwalk area marks getting close to the end.
In 2017 during the marathon my sister and I shared a beer in world showcase as we ran through. Rundisney even captured it in a photo.:yay:

Dislikes: narrow paths, loop around areas.
During the half I don’t enjoy the road stretch at mile 9/10. It is long and boring.

ATTQOTD: There's just something very special about running through Disneyland in the very early morning especially when the park is essentially empty aside from the runners. So quiet and peaceful.

I also love running by Paradise Bay in California Adventure with the World of Color fountains going and Carsland is fun.

Angels Stadium is always awesome to run through and the cosplay mile in Garden Grove during the Star Wars Half always provided a nice boost and caused my Star Wars geek to grin from ear to ear and then some.

Disney World: Seeing the Osborne Lights with just runners in 2012 was great. A stark contrast from the wall to wall mass humanity the night before. I also got to experience Animal Kingdom at night that way long before they actually opened the park at night.

I've never run through the Magic Kingdom. That changes come January. I love running through Epcot in general.

I hope to some day run through Star Wars Galaxy's Edge.

SWDS 5K: Fave: 1. and 2. PHOTO OPS!!!
Hate: the price - which is why I skipped it this year :(
SWDS 10K: Fave: 1. the 501st in DHS - soooo many amazing photo ops! 2. EP. :)
Hate: NOTHING!
SWDS Half: Fave: 1. 501st stops again! 2. The "battle" effects on Bear Island Rd.
Hate: Not a single thing!
Dark Side in general has so much going for it. I especially love running through World Showcase with all the Star Wars music playing over the sound system.

Oh man, this question got my emotions flowing... and I apologize in advance for so much Disneyland Race talk.
No need to apologize for Disneyland race talk. Without Disneyland, there is no Walt Disney World. If Disneyland had failed, there would be no runDisney.

Then running through Angel's Stadium was SO MUCH FUN!
I've talked to people who have ran the Coast to Coast and think Angels Stadium was the best part of runDisney races. I've certainly never experienced anything like it at any Walt Disney World race. I can't really fully describe what it feels like to run through Angels Stadium that very first time with all the people in the crowd cheering for you. Running by as the little kids high five you and/or call out your name or shirt ranks as such as amazing experience. As a little boy I dreamed of playing major league baseball and that gave me a tiny taste of what that might feel like.

With the Full Marathon and Star Wars challenges coming up, there is alot I am looking forward to :) and alot I am dreading :(
I alternate between insane excitement for Dopey and dread about running the marathon. I'll miss Star Wars next year. For a variety of reasons, I may never be able to run a Star Wars race at Disney World again, but I got to do it twice and accomplished the Kessel Run. Hopefully it returns to Disneyland so I can run through Galaxy's Edge.

Am I reading the one box correctly that this is representative of data from 1998 to 2017 ("Hourly ASOS 1998-2017")? So this isn't what we've seen this particular summer but an average over the last 19 years?

Disney World: Seeing the Osborne Lights with just runners in 2012 was great. A stark contrast from the wall to wall mass humanity the night before. I also got to experience Animal Kingdom at night that way long before they actually opened the park at night.

Ooh... I forgot about the Osborne Lights. That really was magical. I ran Wine and Dine the year it was shortened and I think that may also have been the last year it was a night race. I wasn't sure if we were going to get to run through the lights since the race was cut down from a half to around 7 miles. But we turned the corner and saw them and it was amazing.

I'd like to see how that map changes if the date range was narrowed to 2010-Present. It certainly is not representative of what we've had here in the Raleigh, NC area the last few years...

@LSUlakes

August 25 ARC of York Rail Trail 10 Miler Goal <1:32

My legacy race, and my first race longer than a 5k. 6th consecutive year of doing it. 4 of the previous 5 run in 1:32. The other one was 1:40 in stifling heat and humidity. Hoping to see that elusive number better than 1:32. Been trying to get aligned with my very own @DopeyBadger training plan. I think he's got me at 1:31 for this race, which would be a PR. Even the March 10 Miler I ran a few years ago: 1:32.

Whaaaaaaat?!? You're amazing lol. I downloaded a separate interval timer because I didn't know you could do it in runkeeper. Thaaaaank you!!!!!

Does it ding or something after every interval?[/QUOTE

I use this feature for my speed worko
I use this feature for my speed workouts. You can set it by mileage or time and then I also set it to say fast or slow. At the interval change, mine will say "1 mile fast" or "2 min slow". That way I know what I should be doing in case I forget haha.

I was able to set the interval, but it just made my wrist buzz. I need to figure out how to get it to talk to me lol.

Does anyone else find running indoors significantly harder? I run slower and it ...hurts my ankles? I don't feel that pain running outdoors. But ugh. It's been SO hot.

Tracking runs is also more annoying indoors as well.

ATTQOTD: I have done marathon weekend and princess weekend.

5k: Love everything about running through World Showcase in the dark. The only thing I didn’t like about it was that it seemed like it was over so quickly. I don’t consider myself a fast runner but the time just seem to blow by running in there.

10k: World showcase and running around the Epcot hotels. Not a fan of the sharp turn shortly after mile 1 becasue they usually put a character stop there and it just has more people bunched together.

Half: Hands down the magic kingdom! A close second is the TTC. Loathe cone alley and that long stretch past where they typically do the food/gel and water stop. Cone alley bugs me a lot more during the half compared to the full.

Full: Favorites are the magic kingdom and that stretch from entering Hollywood studios on with the victory lap in world showcase. You’ve got people cheering you on from that point on. I don’t hate WWoS (but I don’t like it either). The part I hated the worst was the entrance and exit to WWoS. It’s so jam packed with people and so hard to pass people even if you have the energy to.

I was able to set the interval, but it just made my wrist buzz. I need to figure out how to get it to talk to me lol.

Does anyone else find running indoors significantly harder? I run slower and it ...hurts my ankles? I don't feel that pain running outdoors. But ugh. It's been SO hot.

Tracking runs is also more annoying indoors as well.

By indoors do you mean track or treadmill? I’ve used the treadmill a bazillion times this summer. It felt weird and awkward at first, but i got used to it. I always put it on an incline of 1%. I bought the Garmin Foot Pod to track the treadmill runs otherwise my Garmin tracks me by the motion of my arm swinging or I had to trust the treadmill data. It is amazing to see just how different my pace is compared to what the treadmill says I am doing. It was crazy seeing how different each treadmill at the gym was calibrated too.

By indoors do you mean track or treadmill? I’ve used the treadmill a bazillion times this summer. It felt weird and awkward at first, but i got used to it. I always put it on an incline of 1%. I bought the Garmin Foot Pod to track the treadmill runs otherwise my Garmin tracks me by the motion of my arm swinging or I had to trust the treadmill data. It is amazing to see just how different my pace is compared to what the treadmill says I am doing. It was crazy seeing how different each treadmill at the gym was calibrated too.

Treadmill. I don't have a track here. Maybe I'll try a slight incline. Yeah, the data is definitely off when tracking arm movement. It has me at a 45 min/mile pace for one interval and a 4 minute pace for another. Definitely inaccurate.

I'm ready for the fall!!!!

Conversation I'm having with a running friend discussing figuring out paces.

Me- So should I run a neighborhood 5k and base the next few months of training on that result?

Him - Just run by feel. Run til you feel like you're going to puke and then dial it back a bit so you don't puke.

Me- Solid advice. lol

My friend always says "puke and rally," so there is no dialing back in his mind.

ATTQOTD: I've only done Princess once, and just the half, so I can only answer for that. The most magical moment for me was the second the castle came into view. I also loved making the u-turn in Epcot and coming back around to Spaceship Earth.

I wasn't crazy about a lot of the backstage portions. The roughest time for us (my friend was really struggling) was the stretch of highway up until the last water stop and medical tent.

Ooh... I forgot about the Osborne Lights. That really was magical. I ran Wine and Dine the year it was shortened and I think that may also have been the last year it was a night race. I wasn't sure if we were going to get to run through the lights since the race was cut down from a half to around 7 miles. But we turned the corner and saw them and it was amazing.
Yeah, I spent like 10 minutes just wandering around in the lights and taking pictures and video. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter