The Running Thread - 2016

Kirstie101, welcome!

I love when people post pics so I can put some faces with the names.

QOTD: No race photos for me, yet. I look at them but being from the low self esteem club I don't even like looking at myself in the mirror, never mind paying a high price for a bad picture of myself. I just look really fat in my race pics. I'm always ask myself how I can look so heavy if I just ran 6.2-26.2 miles depending on the race. My friend Matt gets awesome pics from his races somehow. I have yet to find a good one of me. But, if I do Goofy in 2018 or if/when I do Boston I might buy some from those races. It is almost a sure thing I would get one crossing the Boston Marathon finish line, if they get one. Or, if I ever get to do MCM or Chicago I might consider those as well.

ATTQOTD: The 10k I ran last weekend had free finish line photos and it was the first time I had seen a picture of myself running. Instead of the glamorous pics I have seen of others running across the finish line I kind of look I am hobbling or shuffling ... and my arms appear to be on the wrong side of my body LOL! So it was definitely a good opportunity to examine my form and try to figure out what I could be doing wrong. I think a video would be even more informative though. So I am definitely going to work on my form and running "poses" for photographers. I am almost definitely going to buy the pics at the Star Wars Light Side half marathon in January because it will be my first half marathon and I can use the Photopass for pics in the parks too so it seems like a good deal.

QOTD: Lets discuss "official race photos". Do you buy them or plan to at any point? Do you look at them to check on your running form? If so, did you see something in them to where you got a video taken on you running to see your form in more detail to try to change it up any? Or do you just look at them and wonder why in the heck am I making such a strange face? Any other type of info you try to gather from them?

I don't care for race photos and I never bother to check them out even if they are free. They are pointless IMO.

However the next rD race I do, I will check them out as they are now linked to your PhotoPass account, correct? And I know the next time I do a rD race it will be part of a BIG family trip (some of them are first-timers!!!). So I know we will get the Memory Maker.

ATYQOTD: I have never bought my pictures from a race. I always check them, but there have never been any I loved enough to purchase them. I run with my phone and take some selfies, and at character stops I give the cast member standing there my phone. I remember checking the marathon foto version of my profile picture (which was taken with my phone) and my picture was better than MarathonFoto's. We do often get memory maker so in the future I will perhaps be getting Disney race photos. I'm curious if those of you that have experience with marathon @ Disney races and now the photo pass photographers at races feel there was any quality difference?

ATTQOTD: I have purchased from my big races. We never have anyone able to take pics of us while we're out there, so I'm stuck purchasing. The only child in my that loves being the center of attention also purposely looks for the photographers. Last year the people running with me cracked up because I would announce it so we could smile. It's how they could use our pic in ads and on the cover of the training manual though.

QOTD: What are some unpleasant smells that you have experienced while out for a run? (Could be a race or training run)

ATTQOTD: In my time running I have come across some smells that I have found to dislike, for example, at times the port-o-let or passing a sewage treatment area (Looking at you WDW). For those who live out in the country, the smell of someone burning trash is also a bit harsh. But the one thing I hate the most, and for the life of me do understand why someone along a race route would do, is the smell of a cigar, followed closely by cigarette smoke. I try to understand the mindset of someone along a marathon route that goes, "Hey... I am going to sit in this chair, drink beer and smoke a big ole cigar... the runners will love it!" Maybe they hate runners and this is an attempt to get back at us for the inconvenience for road closures and traffic.

This week we have the following folks with races:

01 - @roxymama - Christmas Without Cancer 5k (Finish / N/A)
01 - @kirstie101 - Rock 'n Roll San Jose Half Marathon (2:50:00 / N/A)
02 - @derekleigh - Tanger Outlet 5K (NG / N/A)
02 - @Anisum - Wineglass Half Marathon (3:00:00 / N/A)
02 - @DopeyBadger - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon (3:17:49 / N/A)
02 - @IamTrike - Historic Hillsborough Half Marathon (1:45:00 / N/A)
03 - @Flossbolna - Nuremberg City Run 6k (45:00 / N/A)

If you would like to revise your finish time goal, just let me know. Good luck to all the racers this weekend and I hope the weather will be pleasant and the wind be at your back. I do not normally do this, but since he has provided so much help to those of us in this thread, I would like to give a special acknowledgement to @DopeyBadger . From everyone on the forum, thanks for all that you do, and we are all cheering for you!

I also had another odd idea, which may not be for everyone, but here it goes. For races that have a way of tracking you as you cross certain mile markers, if you would like post how one could sign up for text alerts and bib#. It is by no means a requirement, just a little something extra. Or maybe a thread on the strava link could be started since I think everyone name IRL shows up on it...

Last edited:
I definitely don't get the smoking thing along the race route :( I ran a really pretty 8k on country roads by some farms last month but there were a couple portion with farmhouse smells that were not so pleasant. The worst I can remember is running a really hot 5k in June 2015. There was a dumpster that stank. It may have been one of the worst things I've ever smelled. And the race was 2 loops so we had to pass it twice.

I don't care for race photos and I never bother to check them out even if they are free. They are pointless IMO.

However the next rD race I do, I will check them out as they are now linked to your PhotoPass account, correct? And I know the next time I do a rD race it will be part of a BIG family trip (some of them are first-timers!!!). So I know we will get the Memory Maker.
Yes - you know how when PP photographers take a picture of you and they give you the card (or used to before Magic Bands) and then you put the number on the back of the card into PhotoPass? It's like that - you ahve a number related to the race you're running and your bib - add that to your PhotoPass account and voila!

ATYQOTD: I have never bought my pictures from a race. I always check them, but there have never been any I loved enough to purchase them. I run with my phone and take some selfies, and at character stops I give the cast member standing there my phone. I remember checking the marathon foto version of my profile picture (which was taken with my phone) and my picture was better than MarathonFoto's. We do often get memory maker so in the future I will perhaps be getting Disney race photos. I'm curious if those of you that have experience with marathon @ Disney races and now the photo pass photographers at races feel there was any quality difference?
I've only had one experience them so far, at Tink in Disneyland. I thought the photos were MUCH better than what I got from MarathonFoto.
QOTD: What are some unpleasant smells that you have experienced while out for a run? (Could be a race or training run)

ATTQOTD: In my time running I have come across some smells that I have found to dislike, for example, at times the port-o-let or passing a sewage treatment area (Looking at you WDW). For those who live out in the country, the smell of someone burning trash is also a bit harsh. But the one thing I hate the most, and for the life of me do understand why someone along a race route would do, is the smell of a cigar, followed closely by cigarette smoke. I try to understand the mindset of someone along a marathon route that goes, "Hey... I am going to sit in this chair, drink beer and smoke a big ole cigar... the runners will love it!" Maybe they hate runners and this is an attempt to get back at us for the inconvenience for road closures and traffic.
Same - porta-potties, sewage (mostly at WDW), cigarette smoke. I also don't love running really close to cars and smelling car exhaust.

ATTQOTD: Smells that come to mind are people smoking weed, exhaust from buses and sometimes on trash days running by people's trash cans and wondering what dead animal they are tossing.

ATTQOTD: One of my regular routes passes by a waste water treatment plant. Depending upon the time of year, the smell can vary from fairly innocuous to a strong motivation to go much, much faster. The worst, that I've encountered, though was a recent skunk roadkill. Once that smell's in my nose, it just doesn't get out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter