The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: Olaf is a smart snowman.
8aa468b194b200bfcf79c066c16ccbac.jpeg

Summer. Lake Michigan does a good job of moderating the temperatures for us, I have babysitters available most of the time (yay no school!), and it stays light outside until freaking 11pm. And depending on where I run, I can jump in a lake when I'm done to cool off.

Coaching- no I've never paid for it. I've used a few of Billy's plans recently and I really like them. Before that I just took plans from the internet and tweaked them to my liking. But I've never been a super serious runner.

Favorite season- anything but summer. I hate hate hate summer. If I had to choose, probably winter. I like cold. I like the solitude. I love running when there's snow on the ground (after it's cleared from the running paths I use).

QOTD: With the official start of Spring this week, I wanted to ask, what is your favorite season of the year to run and why?

Definitely fall! After running in the summer heat, the fall temps feel blissful.

Also, the past several years, spring has been so up-and-down with it seeming like we go directly from winter to summer. Fall weather seems a more predictable trajectory.

ATTQOTD: In order of running preference:

1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Summer
4. Winter

I think that fall is generally less temperamental than spring, so it has a slight edge, but they both have the potential for really nice running weather (or really crappy running weather if they feel like it). Summer is too hot, but better that than being too cold. I hate having to wear layers when I'm running, I hate being cold and sweaty at the same time, and I hate being cold period. That's why I've been skipping winter by staying with my parents in Florida the past couple of years 😅

1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Summer
4. Winter

I think that fall is generally less temperamental than spring, so it has a slight edge, but they both have the potential for really nice running weather (or really crappy running weather if they feel like it). Summer is too hot, but better that than being too cold. I hate having to wear layers when I'm running, I hate being cold and sweaty at the same time, and I hate being cold period. That's why I've been skipping winter by staying with my parents in Florida the past couple of years 😅
Same order for me! Summer wins out over winter because there's still a lot of light after work. In winter I'm on the treadmill.
Fall over spring because I actually get Fall weather and all the races are back after a hot summer. Spring before summer because it's not hot yet, and in CO, summer sun is up at 5am, which wakes me up. If I'm working remote that day, I'll get my run done before breakfast, but then I'm ready for a nap over lunch.

ATTQOTD:
Fall-Best temps. 40 degrees with a long sleeve shirt and shorts is just ideal for me. Plus, there's always a ton of races available.
Winter-It's not bad after the first half mile when you get warmed up.
Spring-I feel like we get spring for two weeks, so it's a short window to try to gauge it.
Summer-It's daylight longer. That's the beginning and end of the positives for me.

ATTQOTD: Winter all the way! Our winter is what most of you probably consider fall temps. It rarely gets below freezing. Lots of chilly but not too cold temps perfect for running. Followed by fall. Those first few runs where I can actually wear a shirt are bliss! Spring is practically nonexistent and very unpredictable but it’s loads better than the hellscape that is summer. Summer is also basically half the year here. It sucks.

ATTQOTD(s):

I’ve been absent from the boards for a minute so I’ll provide brief answers for a few of the past questions.

Bucket list races: I don’t know that I feel THAT passionately about any, but NYC and Honolulu would be cool. I also want to do another 70.3 sometime. Maybe Chattanooga.

Running coach: Billy helped me this past cycle. This summer I am paying runfitmama on Instagram to help me with strength and a running base of 4 hours a week (plus RAGBRAI cycling training— I’ll prob add that on my own and just tell her what I’m doing). I mostly just want her help with strength bc I desperately need it.

Seasons: Aesthetically, I love fall, but I think I have a spring disposition. I always feel so much better mentally in the spring compared to the other seasons. I have noticed that May is generally a good month for me. I want to love summer but I struggle with the heat? I don’t know.

ATTQOTD

1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Summer
4. Winter

Same order for me! Summer wins out over winter because there's still a lot of light after work. In winter I'm on the treadmill.
Fall over spring because I actually get Fall weather and all the races are back after a hot summer. Spring before summer because it's not hot yet, and in CO, summer sun is up at 5am, which wakes me up. If I'm working remote that day, I'll get my run done before breakfast, but then I'm ready for a nap over lunch.

Add me to this list, love September, October mornings In New England. It’s also generally ramping up for wine and dine as my ‘A’ race. Spring is nice but not as reliable when it comes to weather. I don’t mind heat but after 30+ years working outside I hate winter.

ATTQOTD: Add me to the list of autumn enthusiasts. After that it would have to be spring, summer, winter, in that order. Summer just manages to stay off the bottom of the list. The heat and humidity can be pretty brutal here, but I get cold easily and hate being cold, so even the relatively mild NC winters are unpleasant for me.

ATTQOTD: Close race between fall and spring for me but add me to team spring. Temps are generally in the perfect range during both seasons, but as others have said, there's something about things coming back to life in the spring that wins out for me. Not great for allergies, but love seeing and smelling the flowers starting to bloom when I run and I am typically more energized to get back into training after MW whereas the fall is when I see the hard weeks of peak training coming over the horizon and start to freak out a bit.

Wow, I'm heading for 50 this year, and you're making it sound great! :) Perhaps "specializes in" instead of "deals with"? Are senior runners really so horrible? Just a different set of issues to take into consideration, right? Anyway, I'm hoping you didn't mean that quite as depressingly as I read it.
Ha! Not at all meant as a bad thing. As @fatmanatee said, I just meant "works with" (I'm now curious what people think "deals with" means!) I am 65 this year....50 is not even close to what I would call Senior.

I'm a pragmatist. I want someone who understand aging bodies and accepts different definitions of "success". It's not about PRing anymore. It's about finding some level of participation that works for me.

I don’t have a favourite season today
but I like that there are very distinctive seasons here. My running routes do not change on a map but everyday is different, it makes running interesting. Also seasons provide for different types and rythmes of training. I would not want to always be during race season, I need the in-between runs.

Do I get tired of snowstorms after a while? Yes! These days I am insulted by a snowflake falling. But a slow run in December looking at the house decorations can be magical. And a great ankle reinforcement exercise.

Do I like moderate Spring temperatures and the bloom? Yes! But the grey sky and the puddles get old after a while.

Do we all write that the heat is too much in Summer? Yes! But I so miss it in February when under a pile of blankets.

Do I admire the gorgeous Fall foliage? Yes! But the days getting shorter are depressing.

Basically, seasons make sure that I live in the moment. Running through all makes me adapt and appreciate what I have got. How many times I said during a training run “There is no way I would have come out if it was not for this run, and I would have missed something?”

Happy today to all!

I like running in everything from hot summer runs to cold snowy winter runs but my favorite is fall. It takes a lot to get me on the treadmill, usually winter rain or a summer storm. 100 degrees and sunny? Run outside. Negative 10 and heavy snow? Run outside. Over 50 and a light rain? Run outside. Dark at 4:00pm? Put on a light and run outside.

ATTQOTD: I’m in West-central Florida… traditional seasons are irrelevant - my favorite “seasons” to run are the handful of days when the temp is above 60, but below 80, humidity sits at a nice 60-70%, it’s sunny with lots of puffy clouds, and a steady, light breeze. Those can happen at any time from about mid-Oct. to early May.

I like running in everything from hot summer runs to cold snowy winter runs but my favorite is fall. It takes a lot to get me on the treadmill, usually winter rain or a summer storm. 100 degrees and sunny? Run outside. Negative 10 and heavy snow? Run outside. Over 50 and a light rain? Run outside. Dark at 4:00pm? Put on a light and run outside.
I tried running in a snowstorm a couple weeks ago and it was really pretty—until the snow started sticking to my glasses 😭😭

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter