The Running Thread—2023

QOTD: Other than Disney races, what running event is on your bucket list?

Right now, I'm eyeing the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler and possibly the Chicago Marathon.

QOTD: Have you ever paid for a running coach? If so at what part along your running journey did you use one and for how long?

I have since last summer as I was starting my Dopey preparation. It is, by far, the best money that I spend on my running. And as long as I keep coming up with new challenges, I will continue working with him. I know that whatever crazy idea I come up with, he knows how to help me make it happen. Hey, this is a man who runs 100 mile races - whatever I come up, he's done crazier.

He makes sure that I am well-trained and get to the start line as healthy as possible. Most important, he knows ME - he knows what works, what doesn't, what motivates me, where I struggle. That understanding allows me to just do my plan. I rarely have to worry whether something is right for me. And if I do have concerns, we talk them through. Sometimes the plan gets adjusted and sometimes I get the "it's fine, just do it." That level of comfort and trust is invaluable to me as a chronic overthinker.

ATTQOTD: I've also used Billy's plans a couple of times and been very happy with them - good variety in the workouts and the feedback is invaluable.

These days I'm using Jack Daniels' app V.O2, which does have a monthly/yearly cost and generates a plan for you after you input your preferences. It's much more simplified because there aren't nearly as many workouts available from just Daniels, but it's still a better plan than I could likely do myself (or okay, yes I probably could, but this is more convenient).

ATTQOTD:
I have used one of Billy’s plans in the past which I liked. But then Covid hit and there were no races, then I had a baby, and now we are hoping to have another. So right now it’s maintenance mode. Once we are done having kids, I would like to get more serious about running.

ATTQOTD:
I ran several years and training cycles with Fleet Feet. When I started to train for my first half marathon, I joined the local running store’s training program (2014). They provided a training plan and different meetups to run, which helped me have a time and place to get out and run. I ran with them for about a year before Fleet Feet bought them. Then I ran with Fleet Feet until 2020 shut the training programs down. When Fleet Feet came in, they implemented pace groups. That started as I was training for my first marathon. Pace groups were awesome to me. They really helped me slow down, talk and run through the long runs. Who knows if I would still be running without that. Some of the training sessions, I was the mentor/pace leader. My pace through these training programs never changed much. We did have track night, but in general I didn’t really get much faster. At one point, for a few training cycles, I used Billy’s training plans, and that really opened my eyes to how very specified pacing (customized to me) could improve my time. I took an hour off my marathon time in a year (maybe 2)? I still ran with Fleet Feet, but I kind of did my own thing. I just liked seeing and running with my friends. COVID did a number on the training groups - they are back, but most of the people that used to run with Fleet Feet continued to run with their own groups, so when the training groups came back, most of that large group didn’t. I miss seeing everyone at the same starting location every week.
Now I use training plans that come with my Stryd foot pod (free). They are time and effort based, and they work for me. I think I’ve probably plateaued with my speed. I’m getting older, and I really don’t like running fast. I don’t think I’ll try for another fast marathon (not fun for me), but I will probably continue to try and race at least one half a year so I can have a POT.

ETA:
TLDR: I ran with Fleet Feet (great camaraderie) and then used several plans from Billy (great for increasing my speed).

QOTD: I've been working with a running and strength coach for two years. I started working with her because I've been dealing with ITBS for 10 years and finally admitted I needed guidance because I felt I was making progress, and then regressed. I definitely have some adjustments I'd like to my schedule after I do Springtime, because I need a bit of a break after going going going since road races returned.

Boston but only if I qualify and baring injury I'll be crossing that off next month.
Best of luck with Boston, its going to be a awesome day for you! Sharing your bib# for tracking purposes?
I ran with Fleet Feet (great camaraderie)
100% agree with this! I found the most important run with a group is probably the long run, second ... speed work days when doing things like 400 / 800 meter repeats.

ATTQOTD: been using Billy's plans for years quite successfully. Previously I raced without training and then used Hansons for a specific goal time and barely made it. Under Billy, so far I have run 3 marathons and got into Boston in 2 of them (probably could have BQ'd on the Boston course too, but decided to take my time and enjoy it instead). Also PR'd and NYC time qualified on the only half marathon I fully trained with him. I really like that I can tell him my scheduling limitations and goals and he can write a plan around them and he's good with advice about changing plans on the fly. I used to be more proactive about learning about lactate thresholds etc but now I just run what he tells me 😂

I know runners who do regular check ins, specific nutrition/meals, cross training etc with their coaches and enjoy it. Some are ok with virtual coaches and others like in person coaching with a group. Others do great with plans that are floating out there like Pfitz, Hansons, Higdon, Galloway etc.

Attqotd: Haven't used a coach. Have generally found plans that work for me. I have been also part of Club Billy. Since I'm giving up racing, I expect I won't use a coach in the future. One big reason would also be.....I hate the process of trying to find someone. (Ask about the mudroom floor that needs replacing for the last lots of years)

At this point, it would also have to someone who deals with Senior athletes. I am not part of any local running scene, so it would just be too much work.

ATTQOTD: I’ve been using a coach since 2012 and would never train without one. Having someone analyze my workouts and adjust everything as needed to avoid overtraining while simultaneously preparing me for my races is priceless. When I first signed up with a coach, the difference in the quality of the workouts and overall plan she gave me compared to the basic stuff I had been using had an impact immediately. I set PRs in the 10k, half, and full within 6 months. She also trained me through back to back Comrades and an Ironman without a single injury. My current coach is also doing wonders for me, helping me to improve my Ironman time by by almost 90 minutes, set a new half PR, and keep me injury free as I’m getting old.

Finding a good coach and establishing a valuable and functional working relationship does take effort, time and money. If the partnership is successful, it can be worth the return on investment.

Some examples:
I had a coach who saw and told me that I was clenching my teeth when weight lifting and, if doing it during effort, I was probably also doing in my sleep. Was my jaw hurting in the morning? So even though that was not part of the training, he did help my wellness and prevented me from breaking my teeth in the long term.

Conversely, I had coaches who did not know certain specifics of a situation but were willing (at different level) to learn when I brought up a new subject. They became better coaches as a result. It is not a given that anyone will match all of ones needs.

At this point, it would also have to someone who deals with Senior athletes.
Wow, I'm heading for 50 this year, and you're making it sound great! :) Perhaps "specializes in" instead of "deals with"? Are senior runners really so horrible? Just a different set of issues to take into consideration, right? Anyway, I'm hoping you didn't mean that quite as depressingly as I read it.

ATTQOTD: I would like to, but I have no idea where to begin looking to find one. I‘m really relegating myself back to beginner status with the amount of time off/health issues I’ve had over the years, and I don’t belong to a gym because we have a Peloton, a non-Peloton tread, and a lifting cage in our house (which I should use but don’t).

Now that I think about it, not knowing where to begin is a theme in my life at the moment 🤣

Wow, I'm heading for 50 this year, and you're making it sound great! :) Perhaps "specializes in" instead of "deals with"? Are senior runners really so horrible? Just a different set of issues to take into consideration, right? Anyway, I'm hoping you didn't mean that quite as depressingly as I read it.
FWIW I use the phrase “deals with” in the same way, kinda like “works with”. Definitely not meant in a derogatory way. Might be a regional thing? 🤷‍♂️

ATTQOTD: I started using a coach last summer, I was coming off downtime from an injury and needed to get serious about Dopey training (first Dopey/first marathon). My depth of running knowledge is shallow relative to many here and my past runD training was limited to Galloway plans on the website, but if I'm honest I would sometimes be quick to let life or weather get in the way of always sticking to the plan, so probably did those events a bit undertrained. But the injury and Dopey distance had me pretty spooked (and a little lost) so I knew I needed to take a different approach.

Fortunately my wife had been using a coach for Ironman training the last few years and he happened to have a background with sports injuries, so it was a good fit. The fact that there was already some familiarly with him/our family helped a ton.

I quickly realized that I totally thrive on the accountability aspect. It was time to be honest with myself - self accountability was only getting me so far. Having someone a call or text away from asking why I hadn’t done my <enter day of the week> workout is the kind of motivation I needed. (Note he’s not watching every single day, but will check in after awhile if I’ve missed several)

We mainly communicate through texts, which is fine with me. He has all my data and he’ll occasionally send me notes about what he sees, things I’ve been doing well, general encouragement, etc, but since I’m mainly doing this for fun/exercise we don’t spend a lot of time on that part.

As we got deeper into Dopey training distances his nutritional insights were very much appreciated as that’s not something I had ever taken particularly seriously - which I now realize was something I was doing way wrong.

All in all I have found I just really like having “someone” out there that’s keeping tabs on me/my training and is a text away for questions or concerns. Plus I don’t have to “think” about a schedule for the week, I just have to “do” - that works well for me and is worth the $ alone.

At the risk of hyperbole - for me it has been a game changer in staying more consistent with running/being a better runner. It was the kick in the pants I needed.

QOTD: With the official start of Spring this week, I wanted to ask, what is your favorite season of the year to run and why?

ATTQOTD: I'm going to pick Fall. My reason is by the start of fall base miles are done and training for the next big race is starting. It is also the start of college football and starting my run from our family tailgate and running around campus at the early hours of the morning in anticipation of the game is exciting! Just thinking about it makes me miss it and looking forward to doing it again this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter