The rumors of Splash Mtn being wetter are true

I wish the raising of the feet trick still worked, lol!

Last time I rode this, I had several huge waves come over the side of the log right into my lap even when not immediately after a drop. Raising my feet did nothing :crazy2:. My log mates actually remained relatively dry compared to me too and laughed at my squeaks and screams of shock (I don't think they realized how soaked I was getting; my mom was horrified how wet I was).

I was so soaked I too was looking for new clothes after a few hours. It was a hot day, but I was just miserable and not drying. Although I was specifically looking for pajamas because I wanted super comfort :rotfl2:

Ended up not finding anything I liked, but switched my socks and that helped me immensely.

I'm another fan of bringing a cheap pair of flip flops for this and GRR. DD thought I was weird for changing into them in the line, but afterward, when her sneakers were soaked and I was changing back into my dry socks and sneakers, she understood. Her shoes were so wet her feet were getting blistered, and she ended up wearing my flip flops for the rest of the afternoon!

The splash-to-drench factor happened after the last refurb in April 2018. But I think the recent rains have increased the water levels on that ride, too. That ride now moves faster and the waves come harder and bigger this winter than I ever remember them being. So for the time being, if we're not wearing full rain gear (rain coat, rain pants, rain boots), we don't ride. And if we are prepared, we ride multiple times in a row because the "drench factor" doesn't matter. I'm just not willing to be soaked to the skin when it's in the 40's or low 50's outside!
No on the rain factor. Disney has absolute control over the amount of water in the ride & the speed with which it moves.

No on the rain factor. Disney has absolute control over the amount of water in the ride & the speed with which it moves.
Then maybe we all had gotten (mentally?) used to the drought levels of water on that ride? Because, as pp have noted, forget getting "splashed" -- it is waves of water washing over the sides now -- think buckets of water being thrown at you, just going around a bend. It really can be quite a shock when you aren't expecting it and the water is very cold!

We got pretty wet on Splash in August, but I found ducking down behind someone taller than me and sitting in the direct middle left me the driest of the boat.

Still had wet undies though, not please lol

Well, at least now I know that I need to bring TWO cheap-o ponchos! One for Splash, one for GRR.

I usually wear flips anyway, even in the winter, so that isn't a problem. BFF and I bring plastic bags to tuck our purses in as she once had water literally pouring out of hers.

Wonder if they'll install those dryer thingies.

Well, at least now I know that I need to bring TWO cheap-o ponchos! One for Splash, one for GRR.

I usually wear flips anyway, even in the winter, so that isn't a problem. BFF and I bring plastic bags to tuck our purses in as she once had water literally pouring out of hers.

Wonder if they'll install those dryer thingies.

Dumb question - do you get substantially wetter at DL than WDW? It seems like the only times I ever got drenched in the past were when I got hit by the water cannon at the beginning. Taking my 4.5 and 9 year old daughters to DL for the first time in a week and now I’m worried about them not enjoying what is my favorite ride. We’re staying at the Grand Californian so maybe we just do Splash before we know we want to head back to the hotel?

Incidentally, I was watching a history of the ride last night on YouTube and they mentioned that they originally had problems with people getting too drenched so they reduced the number of people who could ride in each log and used rafts that were 200 lbs lighter.

Dumb question - do you get substantially wetter at DL than WDW? It seems like the only times I ever got drenched in the past were when I got hit by the water cannon at the beginning. Taking my 4.5 and 9 year old daughters to DL for the first time in a week and now I’m worried about them not enjoying what is my favorite ride. We’re staying at the Grand Californian so maybe we just do Splash before we know we want to head back to the hotel?

Incidentally, I was watching a history of the ride last night on YouTube and they mentioned that they originally had problems with people getting too drenched so they reduced the number of people who could ride in each log and used rafts that were 200 lbs lighter.

I think it's pretty hit or miss. I've been soaked and I've come out completely dry. I haven't been on it since the 2018 refurb.

If you have the 99 cent store where you are, they normally stock packs of cheap ponchos. IIRC they're 4 or 5 to a pack. At that price, they're throwaways. They aren't super huge, but enough to keep a
average adult dry other than one's bum and legs. Your girls will be fine if you have them wear them and tuck them under their bums. Kinda spoils the ride pic, but I'd rather be dry.

Normally we ride GRR right before lunch or end of the day. It's so convenient to the Grand that we just get drenched then head back to the room to change and have lunch or hit the sack. The walk is a bit less convenient from Splash, though.

Last edited:
We rode two times yesterday. In rows 5 and 6 and then 3 and 4 (had our own log on the 2nd run!). Had on big ponchos I had brought from Target. Not the Dollar Store cheap ones. Didn’t get soaked. I think the soak zone is definitely in rows 1 and 2 from what I saw.

I agree with tucking it under your rear end. And if the poncho is big enough to cover most of your legs AND you’re not in the first row, then you probably won’t get drenched.

The drench zone is definitely row 1.

Yep, we didn't even ride it on our last trip a few days ago, which was very sad as I enjoy the ride. The last trip we didn't know about the change and rode it right before a blue bayou reservation. Got drenched and was then freezing throughout lunch.

It was chilly enough outside, I didn't need to spend most of the day soaked.

So much for everything being satisfactual.

Last edited:
I think we will just plan on riding it multiple early while Maxpass is easy to get and then heading to DCA for GRR before going back to our room to change. That is a shame though. Splash is one of my favorites and while getting wet is sometimes fun, it can make for a miserable day in the parks.

This is such a bummer. Splash Mtn is one of my favorite rides. I will probably ride once, with a poncho and flip flops, right before our afternoon break just in case. I hope everyone who's disappointed with the soak factor has emailed Disney to complain. Couldn't they change it back to pre-refurb water levels? Has anyone asked a CM about this? Used to be as long as you avoided row 1 it was generally ok, just a little wet.

If they did do something to increase the 'soak level', I can't imagine what they meant by it. I'm sure there aren't lines of unhappy guests at City Hall complaining loudly "I didn't get wet enough on Splash Mountain, I want a free Fast Pass!!!". And if anyone has overheard someone say that at the exit (barring 100 degree days), I'll eat my Mickey ears!

... Wonder if they'll install those dryer thingies.

There are dryers at GRR. It would be a nice idea to install some at the Splash exit -- it could save on return trips to the hotel.

We are usually in rows 3 and 4 in our own log. I get mostly splashed, some small wave action. DH gets real waves over the sides -- so watch out for your jeans and shoes.

Rephrasing the old joke that "It's Tough to Be a Bug" was designed by Imagineers who hate children, it appears that the Splash refurb was done by Imagineers who hate dry people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter