The rumors of Splash Mtn being wetter are true

Ummmm yeah after our ride in February we had to go spend $200 on new clothes for our kids who were DRIPPING. Socks to hair. Yuck.

My husband and four year old rode Splash Mountain two weeks ago, they were seated 1st and 2nd in their log, and they got absolutely drenched. I had extra clothes for my son, but no extra shoes. And apparently they only have flip flops in toddler/children sizes (per a CM... can't say I know this for sure). Of course my kiddo hates flip flops and refused to wear them. It was a bummer to cut the day short because of the shoe situation - so lesson learned, I will forever bring extra socks and shoes for my kids now. LOL

After reading this thread, we sat on Tom Sawyer Island and watched the people go down Splash for awhile. Our observations were interesting. People's who front half of the boat was heavier (adults in the front, or just taller/heavier people in front of small children or the like) caused a massive tidal wave at the end of the tunnel after the drop, reaching past the tunnels ceiling. People who had kids or smaller adults seated in the front had little to no splashes. Boats with heavier people in the back seemed to create average sized splashes, like what one might expect. We also noticed occasionally some big splashes back to back and little splashes back to back, so it could also be a randomized ride effect.
Very interesting though. I rode in the back with three kids in the front and three adults behind, and the middle seats were the wettest, while the back two the driest, and the front person only marginally wet.

After reading this thread, we sat on Tom Sawyer Island and watched the people go down Splash for awhile. Our observations were interesting. People's who front half of the boat was heavier (adults in the front, or just taller/heavier people in front of small children or the like) caused a massive tidal wave at the end of the tunnel after the drop, reaching past the tunnels ceiling. People who had kids or smaller adults seated in the front had little to no splashes. Boats with heavier people in the back seemed to create average sized splashes, like what one might expect. We also noticed occasionally some big splashes back to back and little splashes back to back, so it could also be a randomized ride effect.
Very interesting though. I rode in the back with three kids in the front and three adults behind, and the middle seats were the wettest, while the back two the driest, and the front person only marginally wet.

LOL! This made me smile. Good observations! It's like a scientific experiment. Thanks for sharing.

We skipped Splash on our last trip because my husband just isn't as into it as I am and now I'm kind of glad. I actually love it and am a hardcore "NO PONCHO"-type, but these reports of drenchings have me reconsidering that stance.

Love Splash Mountain Rode it last September and it didn't seem to bad. Rode the one in WDW last week and we got drenched. We love it though we go on knowing the possibilities and roll with it. Cant wait to ride it in August again.

Oh my gosh YES! BFF and I were there the first week of March and were SO EXCITED to ride - it was down during our last trip. We had front and 2nd seats and we were soaked TO THE BONE. We rode it on our third day (and warmest, almost 70s) and we were miserable for about 2 hours after. It just felt like we would never get dry. We were staying off site and didn't want to deal with trudging back to the hotel so we just dealt with it. (UW was still damp by the time we got home that night!:rotfl:) Luckily we had enough foresight to take off our socks and shoes and throw them in a bag before, so our feet were ok, but it didn't help the rest of us. We had buckets of waves pouring in just about every turn, and hit a literal wall of water at that dip in the dark midway through. By the time we hit the big drop, we couldn't possibly get any wetter! IME, I always stay more dry at WDW, even comparing front to front, but this recent ride was a whole new level! Just nuts! We planned on riding this over and over - it was a one and done for us.

My twin 16-year-olds rode it Wednesday (March 20) and they were in the "totally soaked" category. They were in the 2nd and 3rd seats, I believe. It was their last ride of the night so that was ok but they were pretty cold by the time they got back to the hotel.

We rode it in May and Oct of last year - we were soaked. Not a spot of me was dry either time, I was wringing my dress when we got out. Rode it just the one time on each trip even though it is our favorite ride. DD would have gone on it more but I was not going to walk around like that all day.

Shoes were not a huge problem since I had planned on flip flops and sport sandals for the days when we did Splash and Grizzly.

Pro tip: If you hold your feet all the way up and to the side, so basically underneath the top of the log, it will save them from gettin drenched!
That is what I did on our last ride, my shoes were the only part of me that was dry. I think it was because I was in the front and I my feet were completely covered by the log.

Just to add a few more data points - we just got back and got drenched 2 of the 3 times we rode it. First ride was my 8 year old daughter in the front, 4 year old behind her and then me. We all got drenched even wearing ponchos. 4 year old was not a fan of getting wet and wouldn’t ride again even though she LOVED space mountain and Big Thunder. Second ride it was just my 8 year old and me and we had the last two seats and barely got wet at all. Third ride we were in the middle and got drenched again. It’s still my favorite ride and now my 8 year old’s favorite ride as well. Definitely prefer the WDW version that is a bit longer and doesn’t get you quite so wet. We just planned around it and knew going in we would head back to GCH afterwards to change clothes and take a break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!