The problem we had with Ohana

So just my 2 cents

First the qualifier, My parents opened their first restaurant in 1948, so I was raised in the business. Our last establishment sat 400 people and would feed up to 1800 full course meals a day with a mainly American family menu.

I think for people to sit at a counter service restaurant and linger over a table an extra hour would be rude when people are hovering waiting for a place to sit. But for a restaurant that you are paying a premium price for the ambiance and experience and it is the end of what might have been a long park day and it is a place to gather, talk about the day and maybe plan for the next day? Makes perfect sense, I think the only way you can really expect them to move on at a given time is if the restaurant goes by seating times and I am not talking about ADRs but seating times, a 7 o:clock seating, an 8:30 seating etc.

I would deem it rude if another customer gave me dirty looks or started clearing my table. As management I think it would be possible to ask the party that had already paid if there was anything else they needed or if they (the management ) could put some tables together for you in the lounge to continue the celebration.

But if I am paying the price for a sit down meal I do expect to be able to take my time. We are going to O'hana on the last week on Jan to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and I will ask to please so down the service as we will want to enjoy the moment.

It wasn't their fault (I blame the restaurant management) and they weren't inconvenienced. They were all done and just hanging out.

I am not sure you have a right to blame anyone.

You said yourself that the party was booked for 7:30pm.

Why would you think that you were entitled to arrive at 7 and expect it empty?

DH and I are always amazed at how we can be seated, order, enjoy a great meal/chat etc and be paid up and out well before most of the other tables around us who were ALREADY sitting and eating when we arrived. We don't rush, and we always order dessert and still manage to skedaddle for the next group.

A few years ago, we were ata Benihana type place that we had reserved the "party" section for my cousin's wedding rehearsal dinner. My sister and I showed up at 7pm to decorate and set up for the 7:30 party. We were shocked to find that the restaurant had seated guests in our reserved section! I asked the manager, who snapped at me that basically "too bad...not asking paying guests to get out."

So we waited....and waited...and waited...by 7:20 my sister and I were panicking (the wedding party was about to arrive), so we began cleaning the tables around where the remaining parties were siting. Their were two couples who had paid and were just sipping wine and chatting. We were literally cleaning the table (those long communal ones with the flat top in it) around them while they watched us. We set up centerpieces and place settings, tied balloons to some chairs...one couple finally got the hint and got up and left while the other stared at us quite amused.

The woman of the couple asked us "You guys setting up for a party?" Duh. So I looked at her, looked at my watch and said "Yes...the party starts in 5 minutes when the wedding couple arrives." Then I tied a balloon to her chair. They finally left.

The only way the restaurant would be at fault for this is if you booked the room for 7 PM. If you booked the room for 7:30 then the manager and restaurant was completely right in saying they would not ask paying guests to get out. If you booked the room for 7:30 then it is at 7:30 and not a minute before that you have any right of access to the room. I do event planning for my job and this is something that most establishments abide by. If we need advance time to set up, then that time must be figured into the time we book the room for. So unless you booked the room for 7, then the restaurant was not at fault, nor were the guests at the table. Yes by 7:25 the manager should have asked the guests to move to another spot and had their staff clean that area, but as long as they had that area clear by 7:30 they were in the right.

So if you did book the room for 7 and they still had people and the like in the room, then yep, they were in the wrong entirely. However, if you had the room booked for 7:30 then you showing up a half an hour early to decorate and expecting the room to open and ready for you puts you in the wrong.

I see here on the DIS, several threads of people that get annoyed with waiting for a seat at OHana. I simply do not understand what everyone's problem is with waiting a half hour or so. It is a very popular restaurant, that try's to please as many guests as possible. Yes, they could probably seat better If they took say 10 less ADR's a day, but that is 10 less groups that wanted a meal that won't get it. Yes, people stay too long at their seats after they have eaten, but if you are dining near time for Wishes, you have to expect that. Don't ruin your vacation because you had to wait to get seated. How long did you wait to ride TSM ??? Enjoy the time you are there. I have waited at several restaurants, not just Ohana, and it never bothered me. I eat, enjoy my company, and leave when I am ready to leave I have never felt rushed, because I never am.

I see here on the DIS, several threads of people that get annoyed with waiting for a seat at OHana. I simply do not understand what everyone's problem is with waiting a half hour or so. It is a very popular restaurant, that try's to please as many guests as possible. Yes, they could probably seat better If they took say 10 less ADR's a day, but that is 10 less groups that wanted a meal that won't get it. Yes, people stay too long at their seats after they have eaten, but if you are dining near time for Wishes, you have to expect that. Don't ruin your vacation because you had to wait to get seated. How long did you wait to ride TSM ??? Enjoy the time you are there. I have waited at several restaurants, not just Ohana, and it never bothered me. I eat, enjoy my company, and leave when I am ready to leave I have never felt rushed, because I never am.

Waiting an hour past an ADR time is ridiculous. That should not happen. I would absolutely rather them give out less ADRs to account for people taking longer than not know if I'm going to have to wait an hour after arriving to be seated. Especially so now that Disney is charging people who walk away from ADRs before they are seated.

If they are not able to seat a party within a reasonable window after their ADR time they are giving too many out. It's debatable what reasonable is, but I'm willing to bet for most people it's much less than an hour. We don't book Ohana unless it's close to 5 because of how frequently this restaurant has long waits.

IMHO, there is a HUGE difference between not be rushed during dinner and not leaving after it is over.

When we eat at any restaurant and especially 'Ohana we refuse to be rushed while we are eating. We set our own pace and don't take food when we are not ready.

However, once we are finished eating we pay and leave. There are other guests waiting to eat and they deserve our respect.

I don't care if you are visiting with people you haven't seen in 30 years. You can leave the restaurant and visit somewhere else.

The only way the restaurant would be at fault for this is if you booked the room for 7 PM. If you booked the room for 7:30 then the manager and restaurant was completely right in saying they would not ask paying guests to get out. If you booked the room for 7:30 then it is at 7:30 and not a minute before that you have any right of access to the room. I do event planning for my job and this is something that most establishments abide by. If we need advance time to set up, then that time must be figured into the time we book the room for. So unless you booked the room for 7, then the restaurant was not at fault, nor were the guests at the table. Yes by 7:25 the manager should have asked the guests to move to another spot and had their staff clean that area, but as long as they had that area clear by 7:30 they were in the right.

So if you did book the room for 7 and they still had people and the like in the room, then yep, they were in the wrong entirely. However, if you had the room booked for 7:30 then you showing up a half an hour early to decorate and expecting the room to open and ready for you puts you in the wrong.

The party was to START at 7:30. It was supposed to include set up time 30 minutes prior. If I were a betting woman (which I'm not) I would say that they assumed the people they sat in that section weren't going to stick around as long as they did.

If WDW made all restaurants about the food, rather than the view, there wouldn't be parties camping out. All they need to do is cover the windows at fireworks time. I hear all the horrified gasps from here ;), but I wouldn't have a problem with it. I also know it will never happen.

As for holding a table, I don't think there's anything wrong with a 2 hr.+ meal at a nice restaurant, when you're ordering multiple courses. IMHO, it's definitely rude to hold a table just to talk or watch fireworks, while you nurse a cup a coffee or drink. We have left a window table at Monsieur Paul (then Le Bistro), when we finished our dessert & wine 15 minutes prior to Illuminations. We had time to walk out & watch the show, & couldn't in good conscience hold that table, when we were finished with our meal. For those who want to catch up with table mates, there are places to hang out & talk that don't negatively affect others.

If WDW made all restaurants about the food, rather than the view, there wouldn't be parties camping out. All they need to do is cover the windows at fireworks time. I hear all the horrified gasps from here ;), but I wouldn't have a problem with it. I also know it will never happen.

As for holding a table, I don't think there's anything wrong with a 2 hr.+ meal at a nice restaurant, when you're ordering multiple courses. IMHO, it's definitely rude to hold a table just to talk or watch fireworks, while you nurse a cup a coffee or drink. We have left a window table at Monsieur Paul (then Le Bistro), when we finished our dessert & wine 15 minutes prior to Illuminations. We had time to walk out & watch the show, & couldn't in good conscience hold that table, when we were finished with our meal. For those who want to catch up with table mates, there are places to hang out & talk that don't negatively affect others.

I would have left that table also just to get a better view.

I would have left that table also just to get a better view.

From our table, we would have had an excellent view. We were right by a window facing the lagoon. It was tempting to stay, because we've seen Illuminations so many times from ground level. In the end, we didn't feel right about hogging the table with people waiting.

I disagree 100%! When I go out to dine it is NOT just a function of slamming down a meal as fast as possible and leave. I go there to relax and enjoy the people I'm with. The food is simply part of that experience. If I just wanted the food I'd order our meals to go. I do not enjoy dining at restaurants who choose to rush people through to increase turnover. Not a very enjoyable relaxing dinner and thats what I'm after.

They weren't rushed by anyone. But I would like to know. If my ressie was at 8:10 for one of those tables what time was their ressie? They left around 9:15-9:30. They were most likely there for 3 or more hours. What we saw was people sitting there watching their kids get in and out of their chairs walk around their tables and people watch. Even the host couldn't figure out why these 4 parties were still there. They weren't having a good ol' time where no one wanted to stop conversing they were just literally hanging out. And Ohana has a great lounge area to move your party to for such things. Maybe it was a wishes thing but I don't think they could see much from those tables.

I don't believe in rushing people either but this was not a case of that at all. September when we go back though my ressie will be at 5. And my 6 kids and us adults will be considerate of the next group and still get plenty to eat drink and time together :)

It was a good learning experience so now I know how to plan :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter