The 'Planning Backlash'

I am ALREADY there doing other things. It does not cost $100 to see A&E.

You want to compare apples to apples? How do you get to NYC for free? Do you live in the city?

And to compare apples to even more apples, aren't you paying the broker EXTRA to secure those last minute tickets? You aren't paying the regular price for the privilege.
The discussion isn't about price. It is about availability. Anna and Elsa are not available to me the day before I arrive at the Magic Kingdom. At any price. Tickets to Kinky Boots are. Maybe at half price through Tix if I am lucky, and certainly through Stub Hub or Broadway dot com. And I am a $20 train ride from NYC, so the travel cost is irrelevant.

Edit to add.....WDW does have a very expensive VIP tour which will get you front of the line access. Not sure if A&E are included in that, but for the price, I would be shocked if they weren't. So let's not delude ourselves into thinking that WDW doesn't have an expensive back door.

It is interesting that you say it was easier for you. You did one simple action and essentially won a lottery by getting in.

But I wonder if my odds of getting in were any better. We don't have any compelling stories.

*now I am being skeptical*
It seems a subjective system that depends solely on the moods, opinions, and whims of a select group of "judges" would be infinitely more difficult since you lack any control in improving your odds. (Decreasing to less than a half percent in their final year of operation.)

Had they had an objective system--call, attempt to find an available reservation for the date/time you desire, you would have not experienced the same luck. And you would have had to decide if it was important to keep trying or just move on to the next option.

Your odds most likely were many times better for getting into BOG. But again, capacity rules the day.

Your experience with the letter writing was easier because they only required that of you and you succeeded. But for the other 99%, they failed.

I'll give you that and with this particular restaurant you're right...but seriously Im not aware of very many places where one needs to book 6 months in advance to get in. I agree with what Nugov stated a few posts ago...nowhere else would people tolerate this much advance planning. Not for restaurants and certainly not for momentary experiences such as rides.
I could be wrong but if they were doing dining 30 days out, after they've tweaked all their changes to hours etc., and fp's 2 weeks prior imho they would have won over many more I think. There would be far less people annoyed with the inability to make changes (albeit it still couldn't be done on the fly) but most people have firmer plans by then.

Brave parents. Our daughter was 11 when we went to the Louvre and by then she was a real museum hound. I was ready to leave much sooner than she was! But I did pick up a copy of that same book before we left. And in all of this discussion, I find it meaningful to point out that whether one agrees or disagrees with the notion that foreign travel is less complex than Disney travel, if one is a seasoned Disney veteran, it sure makes other travel easier. My daughter had been to WDW in 8 of her 8 years before she went to Italy and 9 of her 11 years before we went to France. And by that time, she understood the value of "rope drop", pre-planning, and passes that allow you to bypass the admission desk. Those "Disney strategies" sure do come in handy when you want to see David, the Sistine Chapel and the Mona Lisa.

Insane British Airways sale direct flight MCO to Gatewick RT. Slightly over $1000 for 3 tickets and we did lap baby the youngest. And when I am that close to Paris, I had to go. And when I am there, I had to do the Louvre.

Also did a bike tour to Versailles using a baby seat and bike trailer.

Wonderful trip!

I travel quite a bit domestically (esp. in the past few years) to a lot of places..... but planning this latest Disney trip has me over the edge,and not in a good way. I agree with OP it is TOO MUCH.:guilty::headache::sad2:
The level of intrusion in our lives to simply plan a Disney trip is unbelievable at this point...the amounts of info that we have to willingly give away just to be assured of a 'reserved' place in a line in 2 months.... The issues (many many reported) of misspelled names, i.d. mixups, computer glitches, etc etc etc along with little bands that track our every move,and every last bit of our entire families info 'linked' in them.... I personally have had nothing but problems from the get-go with my current trip. MDE is the worst thing ever, ME issues complicate things, attaching a non disney hotel stay to a trip is a hassle,linking family members is nothing but pain,different schedules of people coming/going makes it not even possible to navigate...etc etc.:scared1:
:confused3But I plan to visit Universal for a couple of days. the amount of trouble I had planning that? NONE. Took 10 minutes to buy tickets. :confused3
I have a trip planned out west in the upcoming year for a large family group from multiple states- took about 2 hours at my computer to have the entire itinerary booked and ready to roll.everything.:confused3
My trip to Puerto Rico last year? awesome. planning? a few hours,booked, all set!:confused3
:teacher:My point being it is FAR EASIER to travel just about anywhere else now.:teacher:
And Guess what? to all of you who say "well, you may not get a great experience, but you can do some 2nd rate attractions if you don't go along with their program"....really???:confused3:confused3 I thought the ENTIRE reason for booking a disney trip was to experience the 1st Rate things..... but I guess not anymore, now we either have to figure all this out and struggle with it, or get a 2nd rate experience at 1st rate prices????

FPs and restaurant reservations are not required for a WDW trip, you could easily go online and book a trip today, or arrive at any WDW park and buy a day pass, and experience the park. You can also enjoy the 1st rate attractions at WDW without the need for FPs or MBs, if you give some consideration to crowds, days and park hours. But those features allow advance planning to be able to experience the most popular and busiest attractions and restaurants. I can also book a trip to Hawaii, NYC or Paris today, just book a flight and reserve a hotel, but in those locations as well some advance planning, in some cases plenty of advanced planning, would also be needed in order to experience all possible activities and attractions.

The fact is that WDW has gotten much busier and more expensive, so for many people the advance planning is a way of organizing their trip and time to ensure the experiences they are most looking forward to having can be secured in advance and not have to worry about missing those opportunities.

The discussion isn't about price. It is about availability. Anna and Elsa are not available to me the day before I arrive at the Magic Kingdom. At any price. Tickets to Kinky Boots are. Maybe at half price through Tix if I am lucky, and certainly through Stub Hub or Broadway dot com. And I am a $20 train ride from NYC, so the travel cost is irrelevant.

Edit to add.....WDW does have a very expensive VIP tour which will get you front of the line access. Not sure if A&E are included in that, but for the price, I would be shocked if they weren't. So let's not delude ourselves into thinking that WDW doesn't have an expensive back door.

Yes and unfortunately for us I find the cost/value isn't there for just 2 people(the way it is packaged now it's for up to 10). But if we had a larger group I'd be in like flint as the saying goes. I think even if they cut the price in half and made it for up to 5 I'd jump for MK days. No lines, no stress, no worry about fp+,....sounds like heaven...esp if they could get us our bog changes....lol.

Yes, people, another FP+ related cluster......um, discussion. If you don't like the noise, find another thread!

I lifted this from another thread and thought it might be interesting to discuss. No intention to pick on the person who said it, as it's indicative of what a lot of people say in the myriad of FP+ threads.

Yes, I recognize there are many other reasons why people might not like FP+, but there seem to be many people who dislike FP+ because it forces them to plan out their vacation and hold to a schedule.

My first observation on the quote above relates to the amount of planning required to 'visit an amusement park'. I, for one, certainly don't consider a trip to WDW a 'visit to an amusement park'. Sure, for locals it may be, but is it really just that for the majority of the people on these boards?

For me a visit to an amusement park is a day at Six Flags Great Adventure. You go in the morning, drop your $15 to park and $60 or whatever to get in, drop another $100 if you want to procure the ability to not wait in all the long lines, and you go about your day. If I get the FlashPass and buy some cheap food I've invested maybe $250 and 12 hours.

A visit to WDW, for most, is an entirely different animal. You are generally investing a week (maybe more, maybe less), staying in a hotel, buying airfare, possibly driving long distances, eating some nicer meals maybe, swimming in some pools, maybe seeing a show and, yes, attending some of the best, and most crowded, theme parks in the world. A family of four staying a week in cheaper accommodations is going to drop at least $4,000 give or take, but could spend as much as $10,000 or more. Larger families and up go the $$$. Is that just 'a visit to an amusement park'?

To me that is an important question that gets to the heart of the whole planning dilemma debate. Before I go on, yes.....there are those who will go anywhere and wing it. Drive across the U.S. without a plan, backpack across Europe, etc., etc. I applaud those adventurers if that is what works for them. However, I suspect they may be in the minority. For most of the rest of us, investing limited vacation time and precious resources, when you take a non-WDW vacation that cost $5,000 to $10,000 (for many a large % of their disposable income) or more don't you do some research and planning?

Heck, we are fortunate enough to have just booked a trip to Hawaii (Aulani, so not a complete break from Disney ;) ). Between airline miles and vacation club points it won't be too much out of pocket for accommodations and airfare, but a trip like that for a family of 5 from NY is a $12,000 vacation, not including food and excursions/activities. Sure, we will spend a lot of relaxing beach time, but I'm quite certain I will spend a heck of a lot more time researching and planning things we are going to do on the islands, so that we get the most out of a once in a lifetime trip, than I've ever spent making ADRs and FP+ reservations. Wouldn't most people?

Given that many people invest quite a bit in a WDW vacation, many of those trips being 'once in a lifetimes', should WDW be any different? I don't think so, and that's why, for me, I don't get the 'Planning Backlash'. Is it really that onerous, unusual or unreasonable to have to spend a few hours planning and reserving stuff to do for something like that?

When I went recently I planned nothing, never used FP+, never made an ADR…
I rode EVERYTHING I wanted with nary a 2 minute wait…for 9 whole days…I ate in each and EVERY restaurant I wanted on a whim at the last minute WITHOUT a reservation and was seated immediately, including Cali Grill, Ohana, 1900 Park, etc etc…
Whats all the hub bub about?
Here's evidence! Wish I was there now! Burrrrr.

WDW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDjdbRcEHU

I do like not having to run to the fast pass machines anymore. I don't like that only half of my family used MDE so we won't all get FP+ together. Also by choosing my fast passes ahead of time I realize I've been there done that so really cut down on park days.

If solely availability, then you are ignoring the existence of the standby line.
Lack of FP+ is not lack of opportunity.
When a broadway show sells out--you aren't getting in.

You has to compare them as apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

You CAN get in to see A & E day of, end of story. You cannot ignore that while claiming you can get into a Broadway show same day if you pony up extra cash.
So let's not delude ourselves into thinking that once FP+ is filled up, you cannot get in at all. It isn't true.

And we have APs, so admission costs are irrelevant. ;-)
But you were the one who brought up $$$$.

So you know what park you are going to be in.....is it really that much of a mystery to figure out what FP+ to grab?
For DH, DD and I traveling alone, no it isn't.

Add in my parents and my brother/SIL/nephews (1 of whom will be 1 month away from being 6, the other which will be 9 on our next trip), and things get more complicated.

My parents want to spend time with the boys and with DD, and want us all to spend time together.

My brother and SIL tend to split up, my brother taking the 9 y/o to some rides while the 6 y/o goes with SIL to other rides.

DD will only be 3 on the trip, and will *hopefully* be walking by then, but we don't know for sure. She's small for her age, so won't hit many height requirements,but she will ride a lot of the non-height requirement rides. DH and I also want to experience things with our nephews.

Under legacy, this type of trip actually went very smoothly. We'd pick FPs up together if we were all in a group at the time, or separately if we were separated. Those decisions weren't made until we were *in the parks*.

Now we have to decide how to use those FP+s.

Are we going to use them all for headliners/height restricted rides, since those have the longest lines?

If we do that, what do we do with DD's FP+? Do we book FP+ for her for those rides as well, and someone else uses her band in conjunction with RS and then the adult who has to stay behind and watch her gets to ride their RS ride with both nephews and another adult? (For ex, if I stayed behind, I'd then get to ride with DH and my 2 nephews - something I'd really like to do).

Doing that means that we're then doing SB (or trying for 4th FP+) for rides that she can join everyone on - so potentially longer waits than if we used FP+ - do we want to risk longer waits with a toddler? (She's pretty patient as toddlers go, so it would likely be OK)

Since Brother/SIL like to separate, are we all getting the same FP+? Or are we FP+ing different attractions? If we all FP+ different attractions, and DH and I want to ride with the boys as well, how do we make that happen? Do we book FP+s for DD for her rides, and then make at least 1FP+ for a parent/grandparent to go with her?

ETA: And what do we want to FP+, even for the nephews? Older nephew didn't like quite a few height requirement times last time....but he was 6. Do we FP+ something that he may not want to go on? Previously, he'd be *looking* at the attraction and he'd decide. There's a difference between being at the attraction and seeing it and making that decision and making it 2 months before arriving. On the same note...his now 6 y/o brother - will he be scared of the same things older nephew was at that age? Or, since he's more fearless in general, will he be more adventurous than his brother? Again, we'd better be able to gauge that *in the park* than 2 months before when they haven't seen Disney in 2.5 years and don't remember a lot of it.

When do we try to make those FP+ for? General wisdom here is to get them for the afternoon when it's busiest. The boys don't nap, so that could work, but frequently their parents will enforce a "down time" - especially for the youngest. I could see that happening.DD is fighting naps already at 2.5, so will she take naps there or not? last time we did stroller napping, and she was fine..don't know if she'll stroller nap this time. Likely we'll look for timing between 11-1, to make 4th FPs an option at least, but if for some reason things change when we get there, then we're at the mercy of how flexible the FP+ system is. We did not find it to be flexible when we tried to move things for just 3 adults in November 2014, and we're going over the same weekend (Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon) in 2015, so I don't feel like it's smart to count on that flexibility.

Determining all of the above is going to, for MY family, require a lot more pre-planning of *park time* than we have ever done before. There's going to be at least 1 big sit down with all of the families, probably 2. I'm sure some will say "well, you always have to do that when traveling with a big group" - but, quite honestly, we did not have to have more than 1 planning discussion *pre-arrival* for our last trip.

I'm also quite sure there are those who thought about all of the above things before traveling with their extended families as well. For *us* we had a brief talk about expectations, I planned park days/ADRs, and beyond that any discussion of rides and what to do was done *in the parks*.

Bottom line is that, for *us*, anything that involves booking FP+ for this upcoming trip will require more pre-planning of *park time* than we have ever done before.

It absolutely was an obtuse system. We are used to merit based systems where merit is determined by speed. First to the trough. Theirs was a merit based system where merit was determined by subjective factors. Hard to say which is better. For example, you could start calling or clicking at exactly the moment that tickets go on sale for a popular concert and not get a ticket. Even though you were right on time, you failed. So I think it is impossible to determine where the odds are more favorable--timing or subjective merit. One thing is for sure. The reservation system for getting in to El Bulli is probably as much a part of the restaurant achieving legendary status as was the food. So there is a certain P.T. Barnum aspect to all of this.

It certainly is a supply and demand issue.

Timing is known though--it may be luck--but it isn't the feelings and whims of the computer that says--I know you were first, but they were clicking so much harder.

I'll give you that and with this particular restaurant you're right...but seriously Im not aware of very many places where one needs to book 6 months in advance to get in. I agree with what Nugov stated a few posts ago...nowhere else would people tolerate this much advance planning. Not for restaurants and certainly not for momentary experiences such as rides.
I could be wrong but if they were doing dining 30 days out, after they've tweaked all their changes to hours etc., and fp's 2 weeks prior imho they would have won over many more I think. There would be far less people annoyed with the inability to make changes (albeit it still couldn't be done on the fly) but most people have firmer plans by then.

I think there are many places where people tolerate that much planning IF they think that checking so far in advance would be to their advantage.

Like scoring a hotel room FACING the Macy's parade route.

Some might say--"it's just a parade". Others might say--yes, but I would like to see it in person and am only willing to do that in a heated room with an accessible bathroom sitting right there.

No--it isn't dining--but folks have what they will and won't plan months in advance for.

I am ALREADY there doing other things. It does not cost $100 to see A&E.

You want to compare apples to apples? How do you get to NYC for free? Do you live in the city?

And to compare apples to even more apples, aren't you paying the broker EXTRA to secure those last minute tickets? You aren't paying the regular price for the privilege.
You are alos a local, so if you miss something at WDW, you can see it tomorrow, next week, or next month. It's an entirely different experience for people who are coming in for a week. If we miss something, we won't be able to come back tomorrow.

If solely availability, then you are ignoring the existence of the standby line.
Lack of FP+ is not lack of opportunity.
When a broadway show sells out--you aren't getting in.
Not true. Part of the "sold out" is the fact that tickets are in the hands of brokers. You can get in by securing a broker's ticket.

You CAN get in to see A & E day of, end of story.
You are ignoring the "FP+ only" testing. That is being done for a reason. The writing is on the wall. FP+ and MDE are designed to get people out of lines because when people stand in lines they keep their wallets shut. Disney cannot be happy with the fact that there are 4 hours lines to see characters. They can abolish that 4 hour line with one swipe by making A&E FP+ only. And that is why they are testing it.

When I went recently I planned nothing, never used FP+, never made an ADR…
I rode EVERYTHING I wanted with nary a 2 minute wait…for 9 whole days…I ate in each and EVERY restaurant I wanted on a whim at the last minute WITHOUT a reservation and was seated immediately, including Cali Grill, Ohana, 1900 Park, etc etc…
Whats all the hub but about?
Here's evidence! Wish I was there now! Burrrrr.

WDW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDjdbRcEHU

How many in your party? 1....I'm sure this can happen, but it is a crap shoot.

I'd say we spend about 1000 a day when we go to WDW(I'd have to sit and figure all the costs to know for sure) and when I am spending that much money I want a return on my investment(ie...my family to get what they want). There is no other vacation that I go on with my family where the potential to not enjoy what we want is as high as it is in WDW and that is with twice (easily) the planning. I have never, ever experienced anything like it in all my years of planning vacations and honestly the WDW amenities at their resorts are crap IMO for what you pay. It is an overall downgrade to what we would get at any other resort, BUT we (or I should say I, dh hates it) gladly pay it. It still gives me more warm fuzzies than cold pricklies, but my money is slowly going to other things while we are there..ie UNI/IOA is getting more of my time while we are there, I refuse to stay onsite anymore. I also know as much as my kids love WDW, they have just as much fun on all of our other vacations. I don't think WDW will go belly up, but I do think this generation of kids aren't going to have some of the same nostalgia we did visiting the parks. It just isn't the same anymore and IRL, most of my friends and their kids would rather be travelling internationally or Hawaii, skiing etc. When I was a kid theme parks where the only type of travel most of my friends and I did(besides lake houses) and I think this generation of kids are experiencing much more and that is something that could hurt WDW in the future.

We've all been planning resorts and adrs way in advance for years so having to take an additional hour out at the 60 day mark to pick FP+ doesn't seem like a big deal to me :surfweb:.

Agreed 1000%. There was already a heck of a lot of planning involved long before FP+. The amount of planning that FP+ has added is a proverbial "drop in the bucket".

IMO knowing where I have to be at certain times before I even enter the park lets me be more spontaneous the rest of the time I'm there.

***DING DING*** Winner, winner - chicken dinner!!!

Exactly. Assuming a 10-hour park day (although depending on the park and seasson, it could be 12 hours, or even more), having a dinner ADR set and 3 main attractions (which, as some here are pointing out may only be a few minutes long) "reserved", that only occupies at most 3 hours (but more likely 2-2.5 hours) total in your day. That leaves 7 hours or more to be as spontaneous as you want.

You are alos a local, so if you miss something at WDW, you can see it tomorrow, next week, or next month. It's an entirely different experience for people who are coming in for a week. If we miss something, we won't be able to come back tomorrow.

That was not my premise at all if you look at what Jimmy and. I were discussing.

When comparing to a ticket to a show in NYC--there is cost associated with getting there and that was the point. He tried to claim that I still had to buy admission. I said, I am already there. There is no additional cost.

And also--Anna and Elsa remain available for standby. That fact is being conveniently ignored when compared to a show that can and does sell out or requires a lengthy line (depending on luck and timing) to get dicounted tickets.

If one can wait same day to buy tickets in a line--ignoring that the same can be done for A&E invalidates any claims suggested by the comparison in the first place.

But I am not surprised you were not able to understand that. It does not fit your paradigm.

When comparing to a ticket to a show in NYC--there is cost associated with getting there and that was the point. He tried to claim that I still had to buy admission. I said, I am already there. There is no additional cost.
But to make this "apples to apples", you are already in NYC, and going to a show is just one of the things you are going to do when you are there. If A&E is just one thing to do once you've already paid to get to Florida, why isn't going to a show just one thing to do once you've already paid to go to NY?

And also--Anna and Elsa remain available for standby. That fact is being conveniently ignored when compared to a show that can and does sell out or requires a lengthy line (depending on luck and timing) to get dicounted tickets.
There is nothing "convenient" about a three hour line. Let's not kid ourselves here. If a secondary market existed to sell spots to see A&E, it would be the hottest commodity on this board.

That was not my premise at all if you look at what Jimmy and. I were discussing.

If one can wait same day to buy tickets in a line--ignoring that the same can be done for A&E invalidates any claims suggested by the comparison in the first place.

But I am not surprised you were not able to understand that. It does not fit your paradigm.
Your use of big words does not negate the fact that if Anna and Elsa are not available to you on a given day, you can easily scoot over to WDW and see them another day. Most WDW visitors are not so lucky. I don't really think it is fair to compare a local's experiences with an out of towner. Not really apples to apples is it?

Not true. Part of the "sold out" is the fact that tickets are in the hands of brokers. You can get in by securing a broker's ticket.

You are ignoring the "FP+ only" testing. That is being done for a reason. The writing is on the wall. FP+ and MDE are designed to get people out of lines because when people stand in lines they keep their wallets shut. Disney cannot be happy with the fact that there are 4 hours lines to see characters. They can abolish that 4 hour line with one swipe by making A&E FP+ only. And that is why they are testing it.

1. By paying a premium to see a 2 hour show that costs MORE than a single day ticket to Disney. But costs doesn't matter--until it actually does for a proper comparison. I don't find value in waiting until the last minute to pay a legal scalper. Don't care how good the show is. I will plan better and buy my tickets earlier.

2. The FP+ was temporary and a test. But capacity is capacity. When a Broadway show is sold out and a butt is ticketed for every seat, no amount if money will get you in that door to violate fire code. But if it is worth it to you, maybe some kind soul senses you desparation and is willing to sell you a ticket.
Likely--you have paid over $100 for a 2 hour show. It may be worth it to you and that is great. But for the same price, you can have 12 hours of entertainment in a park. And sometimes that is better. There are few shows I want to see--but when I do, I would make them a priority and plan sooner. Funny how that works.

And Anna and Elsa was not 4 hours long when we went. But my 4yo just wanted to ride rides, and so we skipped it. She meant Anna on our cruise and prefers her over Elsa. So it was a BTDT thing.

How many in your party? 1....I'm sure this can happen, but it is a crap shoot.
I don't think WDW will go belly up, but I do think this generation of kids aren't going to have some of the same nostalgia we did visiting the parks. It just isn't the same anymore ...When I was a kid theme parks where the only type of travel most of my friends and I did(besides lake houses) and I think this generation of kids are experiencing much more and that is something that could hurt WDW in the future.

Yes I was being a little snide…I went solo…but it could easily have been a party of four and the results would have been the same…
I have the luxury to go the day after Labor Day. Ghost town! But thats how I like it.
I totally agree that the nostalgic factor of when we were kids is waning as far as the iPhone, instant, short attention span generation goes.
I'm waiting for time travel so I can go labor day 1977 again!
PS Nothing but a severe economic disaster is gonna hurt the $$$ WDW brings in…South American and others will fill the gap..They are making a killing. Heh they even have people convinced that they can pay $15,000 for a week at the Poly DVC bungalows!! DVD gets people to pay up front for 10 years before they see a return..Nuts! And DVC is whats its all about. Ponzi scheme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter