The Olympics

DVC~OKW~96

<font color=green>I'm not big on gold as a color.
Is anyone watching?

K.D. Lang was incredible in the Opening Ceremony.

Canadians are incredible people. What a diverse and inclusive country.

The sadness of the young luger. What a terrible thing to happen at any time.

Netherlands wins the men's 5000 speed skating so far...

I very much enjoyed the opening ceremonies.... tomorrow or some point this upcoming week I'll try and head to the downtown core and snap some photos. Apparently it was a madhouse today at the cauldron according to some friends.

The sad death has been in our thoughts. The crash had happened a few minutes before a group of us left to walk to the end of the block to watch the flame run past; when we returned 15 - 20 minutes later the sad news was released that he passed away from the accident. It was definitely a bitter sweet moment.

I can only imagine the chaos there! Exciting, but not so great for those who actually live there and need to get on with daily life.

Will look forward to seeing your photos!

you know... there are some road closures and traffic's heavier == heck at about 3am last night we even noticed the heavier traffic but all in all unless you need to be right down town, in Whistler or the Richmond Oval area it's not all that bad. I have however taken the next 2 weeks off of work 'just in case' it was horrible :lmao: since my office is a block from the Athlete's village. The spirit in the city has grown tremendously since the Olympics have started, even my hubby is really getting into spirit ((we had to stop and buy a Canada Flag for his vehicle yesterday lol)) and we may try and buy some tickets as there are day of event tickets being released every day. Initially we didn't go into the lottery pool to get tickets as we didn't know if we'd full on leave town or not.

I'll definitely post some photos or a link to some photos once I get some -- so far the only official Olympic photos I have is me holding one of the torches bought by someone I know.

I have a theory about traffic though -- I want to go out on the main street when Canada is playing hockey and see how bad it is. ;) I guarantee you that will be the best time to go down town if you need to... :lmao:

Oh no doubt!!! EVERYONE will be watching, either at the stadium or at home, in pubs, ect. ::yes::

I've never been to Vancouver, or the west coast of Canada at all. I'm really hoping to get there one day (soon). :D

You definitely should. I forget sometimes how beautiful it is as I get about my daily routine and how good we have it.

LOL OK I have to say a local Canadian reporter wanted to ask the US VP a question as he is wandering around Whistler -- he was willing to answer a quick question but his press secretary or whomever was seemed mighty ticked off that the VP agreed to talk and even more ticked off that the reporter and the VP were joking about Canadian Women's hockey -- JEEZ take a chill pill woman. Anyways that was off topic but was just shown on tv ;)

Didn't she?! ::yes::

The US VP was a hoot on the one newscast where he and his wife were being interviewed. They were both very excited to be at their first winter games, and she for her first visit to Cananda.

It was nice to see two pols, ok one, :teeth: being excited about something we can all relate to.

OP-If you can get tickets to any Olympic event you should go. My husband and I were in Beijing during the Summer games. I am not a big Summer Olympics fan, I much prefer the Winter games. That said, we came into some tickets and had a blast. We are considering a trip to Russia in 2014, and would gladly go to ANY other Olympics if we happened to be nearby.

Also I must add, I LOVE Quatchi. I had a friend mail me the 8 Canadian McDonalds toys of the mascots they are so cute. I loved the mascots in Beijing, but the Vancouver mascots are even better. :thumbsup2

Canada won gold!!! What that a wicked moment or what?! :worship::worship:

What a great accomplishment, and then to dedicate the gold to his brother, classy guy. ::yes::

Canada won gold!!! What that a wicked moment or what?! :worship::worship:

What a great accomplishment, and then to dedicate the gold to his brother, classy guy. ::yes::

Oh we were so routing for Bilodeau! There was a big expose about Bilodeau earlier in the day by Rick Hansen and since we saw his story ((he had been a hockey player but changed to skiing because his older brother could still participate when he was younger)). It was a brilliant move for him to make now that he has Gold. :) :thumbsup2 That kid certainly is an inspiration to all. And to see his brother stand the whole time cheering was amazing as well. In the expose they were explaining that doctors didn't think his brother would be able to stand and walk anymore but he is still doing both.:goodvibes:goodvibes

It's a beautiful story. The brother is an Olympian in his own right!

Watching some of the cross country now. Wow. The reporters sure are hammering poor Norway.

Switzerland seems to be the walk away favorite right now, but we'll wait and see how it ends. :teeth:

LOVE the First Nations Dancers and KD Lang!! We have spent the last 3 summers in Van and absolutely LOVE it there! :lovestruc But this summer we are heading to Disney! :banana:

1000 Islands? OMG!!! We used to vacation there all the time when I was a kid!!! I LOVE that area. ::yes::

And yes, GO CANADA!!! :teeth:

Actually, I'm pretty lousy at competition. :rotfl:

I love watching the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. It looks like such a majestic place. We'll have to visit someday. I even like the commercials for B.C.

I went to Canada once years ago. It was so pretty. I don't suggest a native floridian go in the dead of winter for their first real winter. But it was the greatest experience.

What surprises me most are how young some of them are... Some of them are only 17yrs old. I'm guessing most of them are home schooled so they can train all the time, but how cool would it be to go back during your senior year of HS with a gold medal?

The presentation of the gold to Canada was wonderful! The entire audience seemed to be singing O Canada!

A great Olympic moment. ::yes::

Sandra, many kids who train for the Olympics do it before and after school and on weekends.

▌♥ ▌GO CANADA GO ▌♥ ▌

I've caught the Olympic fever!

The city is alive. Loving the energy. Loving the excitement. Very proud to be Canadian!!

Shout out from Pitt Meadows, BC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter