*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Loved all of your shoe reports! Wanted to avoid checking a bag, but clearly, this will not work. I plan on checking a large Vera duffle that will contain all of our water shoes, my Clark's flip flop collection, first aid stuff, Tide Pods, and some products that won't fit into a quart size bag. I plan on wearing my slip on Skechers to the airport, and I'll throw some flip flops into my carry on so I won't have to wear sneakers into the Florida inferno. We haven't flown in years, so I'm a little nervous about navigating the family through the airports without making fools of ourselves. :joker:

Multiple shoes are really the way to go! What park sandals do you have? I bought a pair of Teva Sandals, but the straps over my little toe just will not break in; i think it's because the sole is so stiff. I was thinking i could put bandaids on my toes, but i'm concerned that won't last long in the heat and humidity (and/or rain). These are the ones I have.

I love my Skechers Reggae sandals. The canvas straps can take a long time to soften and break in. The toe loop is always the part that takes the longest for me. I have learned (after 4 pair) to shove the neck beer bottle through the toe loop and leave it like that overnight to stretch it enough so it doesn't rub. Not sure if there is anything you put under the strap to stretch it a bit. Otherwise, I second the moleskin.

We leave in 15 days!! Ahhhh! I'm starting to pack and I'm nervous I'm going to forget something important! I have a packing list, but since this is my first trip with a little one of my own I'm wondering what are some must haves that I may not have thought to bring?

We leave in 17 days and I want to start packing too! :hyper:

The good news is if you forgot something there are stores close by.

My 3 year old is 1.5 inches too short to get on the 40" rides. My co-worker suggested I give him a mohawk and platform shoes lol.

My 3 year old is 1.5 inches too short to get on the 40" rides. My co-worker suggested I give him a mohawk and platform shoes lol.
Haha that's too funny! My three year old is in the same boat. I keep hoping for a random one inch growth spurt!

We leave in 15 days!! Ahhhh! I'm starting to pack and I'm nervous I'm going to forget something important! I have a packing list, but since this is my first trip with a little one of my own I'm wondering what are some must haves that I may not have thought to bring?

I understand. Our first trip my son was 10 months old. I ended up with an overweight bag. Like someone else said, you can buy most things you forget. I usually separate my packing list and one category I have is "things I can't leave without" which is stuff if left behind will either keep us from flying out or just be a logistical nightmare to deal with. This is the shortest list usually. Prescription meds anyone is taking, my wallet, cell phone. If a child has something they need to sleep or calm like a favorite stuffed toy or blanket, that would make the list.

I, retrospect, it would have been better to only packed 2 days worth of diapers, wipes, formula and baby food. The rest could be handled with a grocery order.

We are leaving for Disney in 19 days, but first DH and I (no kids) have a 5 day trip to Vegas coming up! While I have put a few things aside for Disney, I will have to wait until we return to start serious packing. I'm kinda hoping about winning big in Vegas to help support my Disney obsession - lots of winnings mean extra Dole Whips :rotfl:

I’m with all of you about being really anxious to pack! Just realized it’s July 18, which means I’m at the one-month mark! Still planning on surprising the kids, so I have to be stealthy about gathering stuff. Soooooo excited! I never played the favorite game, and it’s been three years since my last wdw, but here goes:

WDW

Magic Kingdom
Ride: 2-way tie Haunted Mansion, Pirates
Show: Does Enchanted Tales with Belle count? Otherwise monsters inc laugh floor.
Food: Crystal palace breakfast

Epcot
Ride: I’ve only done a few, so maybe Spaceship Earth for nostalgia’s sake? Going to do a lot more this trip.
show: turtle talk with crush
Food: coral reef (again, not a lot I’ve had to choose from)

Hollywood Studios
Ride: I need a HS refresher. I can only think of star tours in terms of what I actually went on last time!

Food: prime time diner for atmosphere

Animal Kingdom
never been! Going twice in August!

UO

rides: gringotts and ET (hey, it’s the only one left from my childhood memories of UO!)
Shows: animal actors and just walking around HP world - it’s so amazing!
Food: the ice cream at Florean Fortescue’s is AMAZING. I thought butterbeer was kinda gross, sorry.

Since I’m doing so much in Aug, these are what I’m most looking forward to that I’ve never done:
MK: eating at CRT, eating my first dole whip
Epcot: FEA, Soarin
HS: Trying to get my son in trials of the temple, seeing toy story land
AK: nrj and safari
UO: getting to see my husband and parents’ reaction to HP world

How old is your child? If stroller age, a fan that clips on the stroller. We used one when my DS was little. Honestly you will not need as much as you think.

We are leaving for Disney in 19 days, but first DH and I (no kids) have a 5 day trip to Vegas coming up! While I have put a few things aside for Disney, I will have to wait until we return to start serious packing. I'm kinda hoping about winning big in Vegas to help support my Disney obsession - lots of winnings mean extra Dole Whips :rotfl:

I wish you luck! Hope you win big.

I’m with all of you about being really anxious to pack! Just realized it’s July 18, which means I’m at the one-month mark! Still planning on surprising the kids, so I have to be stealthy about gathering stuff. Soooooo excited! I never played the favorite game, and it’s been three years since my last wdw, but here goes:

WDW

Magic Kingdom
Ride: 2-way tie Haunted Mansion, Pirates
Show: Does Enchanted Tales with Belle count? Otherwise monsters inc laugh floor.
Food: Crystal palace breakfast

Epcot
Ride: I’ve only done a few, so maybe Spaceship Earth for nostalgia’s sake? Going to do a lot more this trip.
show: turtle talk with crush
Food: coral reef (again, not a lot I’ve had to choose from)

Hollywood Studios
Ride: I need a HS refresher. I can only think of star tours in terms of what I actually went on last time!

Food: prime time diner for atmosphere

Animal Kingdom
never been! Going twice in August!

UO

rides: gringotts and ET (hey, it’s the only one left from my childhood memories of UO!)
Shows: animal actors and just walking around HP world - it’s so amazing!
Food: the ice cream at Florean Fortescue’s is AMAZING. I thought butterbeer was kinda gross, sorry.

Since I’m doing so much in Aug, these are what I’m most looking forward to that I’ve never done:
MK: eating at CRT, eating my first dole whip
Epcot: FEA, Soarin
HS: Trying to get my son in trials of the temple, seeing toy story land
AK: nrj and safari
UO: getting to see my husband and parents’ reaction to HP world

Oohhh! Okay, so things I am excited to do for the first time...
- Stay at Art of Animation.
- Try frozen Jack & Coke at the Dropoff.
- Eat at Yak and Yeti.
- The Dinoland dance party!
- Toy Story Land.
- Taking DS on ToT for the first time.
- Eat at Sci-Fi Drive In.
- My parents doing Disney WITH my kids.

As far as Universal... EVERYTHING. We are first timers. Well, I went like 25 years ago and DH worked their for the summer in college. But I am most excited for...
- Voodoo donuts.
- All of the Harry Potter areas.
- Volcano Bay!!!
- The new nighttime show.

34 more days for me!

Here is my list of favourites;

MK:
Ride - Haunted Mansion
Show - Laugh Floor
Food: Skipper's Canteen

EP:
Ride - Spaceship Earth
Show - Jammitors
Food: Les Halles

HS:
Ride - Tower of Terror
Show - Citizens of Hollywood
Food - Carrot Cake Cookie also HBD

AK:
Ride - FoP
Show - FoLK
Food - Nomad Lounge

I keep hoping for a random one inch growth spurt!
Well the thing with kids is you never know-I swear there were a few times my kids literally grew overnight-like they went to bed in PJ's long enough for them and the next night the PJ's were short!

- Voodoo donuts.
- All of the Harry Potter areas.
Voodoo doughnuts are very good-Have done both the Portland shop and Citywalk-worth the wait!!

For those who are wanting to sign kids up for Jedi training-My DD has that as her location (along with Muppets-she alternates)-currently: with TSL opening the slots are NOT filling up fast, or even some days-filling up at all. And she said even on Monday when they did fill up it wasn't until like 11 am or so. Pretty unusual, and absolutely no guarantee that it stays the same for August...

For those who are wanting to sign kids up for Jedi training-My DD has that as her location (along with Muppets-she alternates)-currently: with TSL opening the slots are NOT filling up fast, or even some days-filling up at all. And she said even on Monday when they did fill up it wasn't until like 11 am or so. Pretty unusual, and absolutely no guarantee that it stays the same for August...
I was actually wondering if Toy Story might help us with this, or just drive so many people to HS that it would be even harder. I guess we’ll see! Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the confirmation. A YouTuber I follow just went with her family and her youngest did the Jedi training. I asked if it was still something you had to run to sign up for as soon as the gate opened and she mentioned they signed up around 11am. My son doesn't know we are going; but he has seen videos of it and wants to do it. We will still go as early as possible. We have two HS days scheduled in case we don't get in on the first day.

i did something similar a few years ago at six flags. made my daughter wear her cowboy boots that boosted her an inch to just hit the ride level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter