The Official 2013 Fall/Fall Advantage Thread!!

Hello, fellow DCP hopefuls! My name is Marissa, and I have been dreaming of the day I can apply to the college program since middle school.

I am currently a first semester senior, theatre major- tech/design track, at Rowan University in NJ. If I get into the Fall '13 CP, I am hoping to complete my undergrad between taking several summer classes & the credits I would receive from doing the program. Basically, I want to graduate ASAP so that I will have the chance to either extend my program OR achieve my dream PI...the summer technical theatre internship. :jumping1:

If Disney accepts me, I am hoping it is just the start to my working for the most magical place on earth for the rest of my life!!!!!!:smickey::love:

The top roles I would like are attractions, photopass, and costuming. :cool1:
However, I will basically take anything Disney will offer me to get the chance to work for the Mouse & meet some incredible people. :thumbsup2

Questions: Unfortunately there aren't many backstage jobs available for the CP aside from costuming, but even then it isn't necessarily "theatrical costuming" that most people would assume. So if I accepted a job in a different field, would I be hurting my chances of getting a PI to do with theatre? Am I better off trying to be a character attendant or something of that nature to get to know CMS in the entertainment field? I'M SO NERVOUS...THIS KS MY DREAM FUTURE PEOPLE!? Lol Sorry everyone, just super excited.

Lastly, I can't get onto my dashboard and they haven't sent me a password recovery yet??? :confused3 can anyone help? I'm so worried that I won't be able to apply because I can't create a new account, since I have applied for a PI in the past. I want to apply the second the app opens, so I need to fix this ASAP.

Well, now that I have sufficiently introduced myself- I wish everyone luck & pixie dust on application day. I hope to meet you all in August!!!:tink:

Hey guys, I'm Katie!

I'm a freshman at Texas A&M-Corpus and I'll be applying for Fall 2013. I applied for Spring 2012 but was ultimately rejected, so I'm applying again for this next semester, which will actually end up working out better for me anyway. I'm a Chemistry/Theater double major with a minor in Vocal Performance, and my top three roles are Character Performer (hah, yeah right!), Character Attendant, and Attractions! It's nice to meet everyone!

Does anyone know the odds of being picked your first time applying? I had a few friends that didn't get it until their 2nd time...
That makes me really nervous. I actually want this more than anything right now, and I intend on showing that.:thumbsup2

I was accepted the first time applying. I think it really depends on the roles you select and how you come across in your interview.

Hello, fellow DCP hopefuls! My name is Marissa, and I have been dreaming of the day I can apply to the college program since middle school.

I am currently a first semester senior, theatre major- tech/design track, at Rowan University in NJ. If I get into the Fall '13 CP, I am hoping to complete my undergrad between taking several summer classes & the credits I would receive from doing the program. Basically, I want to graduate ASAP so that I will have the chance to either extend my program OR achieve my dream PI...the summer technical theatre internship. :jumping1:

If Disney accepts me, I am hoping it is just the start to my working for the most magical place on earth for the rest of my life!!!!!!:smickey::love:

However, I will basically take anything Disney will offer me to get the chance to work for the Mouse & meet some incredible people. :thumbsup2

Questions: Unfortunately there aren't many backstage jobs available for the CP aside from costuming, but even then it isn't necessarily "theatrical costuming" that most people would assume. So if I accepted a job in a different field, would I be hurting my chances of getting a PI to do with theatre? Am I better off trying to be a character attendant or something of that nature to get to know CMS in the entertainment field? I'M SO NERVOUS...THIS KS MY DREAM FUTURE PEOPLE!? Lol Sorry everyone, just super excited.

Lastly, I can't get onto my dashboard and they haven't sent me a password recovery yet??? :confused3 can anyone help? I'm so worried that I won't be able to apply because I can't create a new account, since I have applied for a PI in the past. I want to apply the second the app opens, so I need to fix this ASAP.

Well, now that I have sufficiently introduced myself- I wish everyone luck & pixie dust on application day. I hope to meet you all in August!!!:tink:

I don't think it would hurt your chances of getting into your field if you did a CP in a non entertainment line of buisness. Most CP roles don't match what people are studying anyway. I know someone who was a lifeguard on his CP and now is doing a Public Relations PI. CP is generally seen as a way for you to get your foot in the door, learn about the company and what it's values are. You can always use your leaders as a resource and see if they know anyone who works in entertainment that you could network with or possible job shadow.

As for your dashboard account, I think you just might need to wait and make a new one.

Hey guys, I'm Katie!

I'm a freshman at Texas A&M-Corpus and I'll be applying for Fall 2013. I applied for Spring 2012 but was ultimately rejected, so I'm applying again for this next semester, which will actually end up working out better for me anyway. I'm a Chemistry/Theater double major with a minor in Vocal Performance, and my top three roles are Character Performer (hah, yeah right!), Character Attendant, and Attractions! It's nice to meet everyone!

Welcome! If you want character performer I say you head to an audition and go for it! You never know what could happen!

I want to do the hospitality PI after the college program, by for that u have to have three months experience working in a hotel if I do the college program but don't get the front desk or concierge could I still do the hospitality PI?

Oh my gosh Marissa, you go to Rowan?! I am from Washington Township, NJ! Unfortunately I go to college in North Carolina, but still come home to TWP:) So rare to meet another person from that area!

Oh my gosh Marissa, you go to Rowan?! I am from Washington Township, NJ! Unfortunately I go to college in North Carolina, but still come home to TWP:) So rare to meet another person from that area!

That's awesome!! Yeah, I'm originally an hour and a half north of Rowan, but I kind of know what area you're from.:goodvibes Are you applying for the fall too?

I was accepted the first time applying. I think it really depends on the roles you select and how you come across in your interview.

I don't think it would hurt your chances of getting into your field if you did a CP in a non entertainment line of buisness. Most CP roles don't match what people are studying anyway. I know someone who was a lifeguard on his CP and now is doing a Public Relations PI. CP is generally seen as a way for you to get your foot in the door, learn about the company and what it's values are. You can always use your leaders as a resource and see if they know anyone who works in entertainment that you could network with or possible job shadow.

As for your dashboard account, I think you just might need to wait and make a new one.

Thank you for your help!! That makes a lot of sense. :goodvibes

Hello everyone! My name's Lyanne and I'm a current college senior graduating this May. :)

I've done the CP before (as you can see on my signature) so feel free to ask me anything about those roles. I'll be happy to help! :wizard:

I was originally planning on applying for a PI or MI but after lots of thought I've realized that what will benefit me most right now is to do a CP and then apply for a PI.

This time around I'm really interested in applying for concierge or hospitality. I'm also considering FSFB. I still haven't made up my mind if I want to apply for my old roles. Even though I enjoyed them both immensely, I really want to try a different role and work at a resort.

That's all I can think of to say for now! It's always nice to meet other people on the same boat! :goodvibes

Hello everyone! My name's Lyanne and I'm a current college senior graduating this May. :)

I've done the CP before (as you can see on my signature) so feel free to ask me anything about those roles. I'll be happy to help! :wizard:

I was originally planning on applying for a PI or MI but after lots of thought I've realized that what will benefit me most right now is to do a CP and then apply for a PI.

This time around I'm really interested in applying for concierge or hospitality. I'm also considering FSFB. I still haven't made up my mind if I want to apply for my old roles. Even though I enjoyed them both immensely, I really want to try a different role and work at a resort.

That's all I can think of to say for now! It's always nice to meet other people on the same boat! :goodvibes

Hi Lyanne! I love your name- it's kind of like my niece's middle name, but hers is spelt Leigh-Ann (mine and my mom's middle names combined. :)

What advice would you have for someone who is hoping for a position as a photopass photographer? Also, were you ever inside?

I did Hospitality at Pop Century for Spring Advantage 2010

I did Spring 2010 too! I was in Mousekeeping at the All Star Resort...usually Music, but worked at all 3.

My name is Stephanie and I am 23...I'm in round 2 of college after not being able to find a career I enjoyed the first time. I'm currently taking prerequesites for nursing school, and will be finished with them Mid-August, when I can apply for nursing school. This makes Fall 2013 the PERFECT time for me to do another CP, because I will be in-between schools for at least the semester.

I loved the CP, but HATED mousekeeping, so this time I am going to be way more picky about the roles I will be willing to do. I really want to do something with more guest interaction so that I can create lots of magic for the guests. I would love to do BBB.princess:

Hello everybody!!!!!!
My name is Carly, I'm currently a junior in college (but I use that word loosely because I doubt I'm graduating next year!), and I'm going to apply for Fall Advantage 2013!!! I went down for FA 2012 but unfortunately I had to self-term shortly after I got down there for personal reason. But everything's cool now and I'm so excited to re-apply!!!!
:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Hi Lyanne! I love your name- it's kind of like my niece's middle name, but hers is spelt Leigh-Ann (mine and my mom's middle names combined. :)

What advice would you have for someone who is hoping for a position as a photopass photographer? Also, were you ever inside?

Thank you! Your niece has a cool middle name! ;)

Now for advice:
During the phone interview for my first program even though I stated that Photopass was one of my top choices the only question I got asked specifically of the role was if I had experience with cameras. (I didn't actually remember that, had to look for my old blog that I stopped writing in after I got to FL but now I wish I hadn't :sad2:) Anyway, maybe my answer of "yes, I own a DSLR camera and have taken a photography course" wasn't that impressive. :rolleyes:
Looking back, I think I should've expressed more interest in the role throughout the entire interview but I don't regret getting QSFB because I loved it.

It was only when I decided to extend that I got Photopass and I'm sure that my super clean record card had a lot to do with that. I don't know all that they take into consideration when you apply to extend but when I applied I only had GSF cards on my record card.

So ultimately, my advice is to express great interest in the role when you interview and if you extend, have a clean record card.

Was I ever inside?

Yes!
Once you get View trained (where you print out pictures for guests) and character trained there will be plenty of opportunities for being indoors. Though that depends on which park you work at and how many character locations are indoors.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have other questions! :goodvibes

Hi I am Callie! :wave2: I am graduating in May with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and minor in Mathematics. I am in the process of applying for PI's but I also want to apply for Fall CP. I applied during for Fall 2010 originally for DLR and did not get it (there was a problem with my housing request I am pretty sure). Now that I am graduating I want to have another round of applying for PI's. My top 3 choices are Attractions, Character Performer, and Photopass.

I am really nervous because if I do not get a PI, I really want to get this and my phone skills are not great (also problem for the PIs). SO any helpful hints when I get to that point?

Hi I am Callie! :wave2: I am graduating in May with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and minor in Mathematics. I am in the process of applying for PI's but I also want to apply for Fall CP. I applied during for Fall 2010 originally for DLR and did not get it (there was a problem with my housing request I am pretty sure). Now that I am graduating I want to have another round of applying for PI's. My top 3 choices are Attractions, Character Performer, and Photopass.

I am really nervous because if I do not get a PI, I really want to get this and my phone skills are not great (also problem for the PIs). SO any helpful hints when I get to that point?

I think the phone interview for the CP isn't that bad. You just need to try to relax and SMILE! They can hear it in your voice. All of my interviewers have been very upbeat and put me at ease. Try to think of what they might ask you and jot some bullet points down. Don't write yourself a script because that will sound rehearsed!

They will ask you questions like why you want to work for Disney, some related to your roles, basic questions about your previous jobs. Sometimes its like "Did you have to handle money at XXXX" but other times its "Tell me about what you did at XXX" They also ask about working in the FL heat, living with roommates. I was asked to describe a time I had to work on a team to accomplish something, and if I prefered to work in a busy or laid back environment.

Most important though is to just relax, don't be afraid to pause for a few seconds to think about the question or ask them to repeat the question.

Good Luck! I'm applying for PIs too!

Welcome everyone! Glad to see we've got quite the interesting lot here.

So I am quite curious, what are everyone's top role decisions, and why?

Also, what is your purpose or insight into participating in the Disney College Program?

Interested to see all the wonderful places people are going!

Have a Most Magical Day! :smickey:

My first time I did Attractions, this time I would like to focus on the hotel aspect since I am a hospitality major and am graduating in May. I'd love to work front desk or concierge.

I think the phone interview for the CP isn't that bad. You just need to try to relax and SMILE! They can hear it in your voice. All of my interviewers have been very upbeat and put me at ease. Try to think of what they might ask you and jot some bullet points down. Don't write yourself a script because that will sound rehearsed!

They will ask you questions like why you want to work for Disney, some related to your roles, basic questions about your previous jobs. Sometimes its like "Did you have to handle money at XXXX" but other times its "Tell me about what you did at XXX" They also ask about working in the FL heat, living with roommates. I was asked to describe a time I had to work on a team to accomplish something, and if I prefered to work in a busy or laid back environment.

Most important though is to just relax, don't be afraid to pause for a few seconds to think about the question or ask them to repeat the question.

Good Luck! I'm applying for PIs too!

Thanks!! I saw you on the other board and I think in the facebook group! Good Luck to you too!

So ultimately, my advice is to express great interest in the role when you interview and if you extend, have a clean record card.
Lyanne! When you say "express great interest" should I go into great detail into what I want out of the role? Any other things I should mention if I want a specific role?

Yes, another Engineer!

Have you been to College Program Character Auditions? It's quite fun, really. It looks like a majority of the 2013 Fall and Fall Advantage Dates have been announced as well!

Practice, Practice, Practice! There's bound to be a friend (or anyone) that would be willing to have a practice interview with you. I'd recommend writing a few little bullets, not full sentences for reminders of anything you might need. Remember to smile, as it can be heard through your voice.

My first time I did Attractions, this time I would like to focus on the hotel aspect since I am a hospitality major and am graduating in May. I'd love to work front desk or concierge.
If you don't mind me asking, where was your role for attractions at? Front Desk and Concierge Roles really sound quite fascinating as you'd have a lot of wonderful guest interactions.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

Yes, another Engineer!

Have you been to College Program Character Auditions? It's quite fun, really. It looks like a majority of the 2013 Fall and Fall Advantage Dates have been announced as well!

Practice, Practice, Practice! There's bound to be a friend (or anyone) that would be willing to have a practice interview with you. I'd recommend writing a few little bullets, not full sentences for reminders of anything you might need. Remember to smile, as it can be heard through your voice.

I have never been to a CP Character audition but I have be to a bunch of dance auditions (hoping to make it to LA to try out for So You Think You Can Dance also) so I am fairly decent in an audition situation. I also have a couple friends who have worked as character performers in WDW and Cruise line so I have some people to get advice from.

Thanks! I plan on practicing! I have gotten better with phone stuff since the last time I applied so hopeful that will help. I am not to nervous for the interview for CP as I am for my PI interviews. I at least have an idea of what is asked and kinda what they want from people on CP where in my PIs I don't have a huge idea. And not many people on boards are applying for those (which is hopeful there is not a ton of people applying :rolleyes1)

Lyanne! When you say "express great interest" should I go into great detail into what I want out of the role? Any other things I should mention if I want a specific role?

Yes, another Engineer!

If you don't mind me asking, where was your role for attractions at? Front Desk and Concierge Roles really sound quite fascinating as you'd have a lot of wonderful guest interactions.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

Hi! I worked as an Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith at DHS. I LOVED it. :yay:

I just came up with a question that is kind of bugging me, because I'm sure I've read the answer to it somewhere but I can't find it.

One of my top choices is Character Performer, and I plan on attending the audition in Austin on March 23rd. However, if I do my phone interview and everything, do I have to wait until after the auditions to hear anything? Like, could they offer me something else before the auditions even happen, or is me saying one of my top choices is character attendant basically setting me up for a "pended" status?

Part of this is impatience to just know if I got accepted or not, but part of it is also because I need to know before the second week in April because I need to renew the lease on my apartment, and if Character Performer will set back me knowing, I may have to think twice about putting it as a top choice.

Thanks for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter