The Last Minute(-ish) Pre-Christmas Trip....

Pretty sure the carry on weight limit on American is 40 lbs. The thing is, I have a bad disc in my back and I am not allowed to lift more than 30 lbs. ESPECIALLY to lift it over my head. Of course that's why DH is in charge of stowing all carry on luggage...

I think I have about 40 pairs of shorts. BUT I don't have 2 separate work and casual wardrobes. I wear shorts and flip flops to work all summer. I used to like denim shorts, but now I have switched mostly to twill. I wear the denim for the 12 days leading up to departure since all of my "good" shorts are packed. :rotfl2:

I'm sorry about the international restrictions for carry on items. That sucks. I hope they change it back! :wizard:

Pretty sure the carry on weight limit on American is 40 lbs.

Wow! I'm used to 10-20 lbs.

I'm sorry about the international restrictions for carry on items. That sucks. I hope they change it back! :wizard:

Yeah, liquids were originally completely banned and then they changed it.

Plus, the recent attack involved explosives sewn into the guy's underwear. So, how is not bringing a bag going to help?

I really am all for security, but, sometimes things just seem like knee-jerk reactions instead of thought-out policies.

I thought I had read that they did reverse the new restrictions, but maybe it varies by airport/airline/country.

You know, the thing about the weight of your carry on is to just ACT like it isn't heavy. I have never, EVER had to weigh my carry on. I have had to prove it fits in the little measuring device, but I have never had to prove it doesn't weigh 100 pounds. :rolleyes1

I thought I had read that they did reverse the new restrictions, but maybe it varies by airport/airline/country.

According to the current airline websites no carry-on luggage for people on flights traveling to the US.

You know, the thing about the weight of your carry on is to just ACT like it isn't heavy. I have never, EVER had to weigh my carry on. I have had to prove it fits in the little measuring device, but I have never had to prove it doesn't weigh 100 pounds. :rolleyes1

I have had to weigh my carry-on more than once. I even had someone pick it up off my shoulder once and declare without weighing it that it was "too heavy" and needed to be checked. (They then let me take my computer, camera and book out of it to carry on without a bag leaving a bag with a sweater in it to be checked.)

We got out the door on schedule, made a brief stop halfway down the street to check for our passports, and then had an uneventful drive to the airport.

We got lucky and found a parking spot in the first row we tried and caught the shuttle from parking to the terminal while we were still unloading the car.

(As I said earlier, we usually prefer to take the bus to/from the airport. Not only is it cheaper, it's also more environmentally friendly. But, for some reason there aren't any buses that arrive in time for the early morning flights unless you take the last bus of the night before which is WAY TOO EARLY and I'm no longer cheap enough to do that. So, we drove.)

to be continued....

According to the current airline websites no carry-on luggage for people on flights traveling to the US.

I have had to weigh my carry-on more than once. I even had someone pick it up off my shoulder once and declare without weighing it that it was "too heavy" and needed to be checked. (They then let me take my computer, camera and book out of it to carry on without a bag leaving a bag with a sweater in it to be checked.)

Bummer. I think Canada is too strict!
I have never even seen somebody ELSE have to weigh their carry on. Ever. And the only reason that shrew of a woman made me put my carry-on in the measuring rack was because we were in the International terminal. The people in the domestic terminals don't give a rat's tushy how much my carry-on weighs OR if it fits in the rack. Which OF COURSE it fits in the rack because this is the carry-on I have been using for YEARS.

I just checked American's website. 40 lbs. for carry ons. So even if they DO make me weigh it at some point it won't be over, because I can't lift that much to even get the suitcase down from the bed.

Bummer. I think Canada is too strict!

Actually the new security restrictions are imposed by US regulations.

I do get frustrated by inconsistencies sometimes. A few years ago I flew to San Francisco during "heightened security risk" according to US Homeland Security. Because of the heightened risk I had to go through THREE separate security screening before I got to my gate and then AT the gate there was another full screening of every other person boarding the plane.

Four days later on my return trip through the SF airport, I got through security with a pocket full of safety pins (I'd completely forgotten they were there) and NOBODY checked my id or my passport until I landed in Canada.

Ah well...I used to cross-stitch whenever I flew and it could keep me entertained for hours. Now, I'm not allowed to travel with a needle and scissors and I've generally gotten used to it. I'm sure I'll get used to the new restrictions eventually too.

I know, it seems like I abandoned this report. But, I've been thinking about it. The catch is that this next installment is still making me cranky and so I haven't wanted to write it.

We arrived at the airport pretty much exactly on the schedule we were hoping for. There was a longish line for check-in, but, due to my DW's Star Alliance Gold membership we got into the First Class (and other special people) line. We had tried to check in at home, but, it hadn't worked. Of course once we got to the counter we were told that we had already checked in. (The distinction between home check in and airport check in for direct to the US flights seems to be the shape of your boarding pass since you have to wait in the exact same lines to get clearance to go through to the customs and immigration area with your bags. But, apparently, there is some other computer difference because it took her awhile to "fix" things.)

She also seemed perturbed that we hadn't indicated "Special Instructions" for the wheelchair when we booked our flight. But, there isn't anywhere on the form that you can say, "we will be gate-checking our own w/c", only a check-box that says "W/C assistance needed", which is not the case. They never seem perturbed when other people ask for gate-check tags for their strollers. (Oh well!) We asked for gate check tags and she gave us two, plus another baggage tag linking the chair to us that also indicated gate check. (This chair was now well labeled.)

As I filled out the customs form it clearly said one form per family living at the same address. So, I filled out one form. We stood in line to hand off our checked luggage, waited in the designated spot while it was scanned and then were given the go ahead to move to the personal screening area. We took off our shoes, told the 3rd person that yes this well labeled chair was ours, not the airport's and finally got someone to ask about how they wanted to scan it, took it through the scanner and then shut down security. Yes, our shoes and wheelchair were on the other side of security from us and our bags and it was completely shut down. The customs agents seemed to be in some sort of funk (or looking for something very carefully) and the line had backed up too far, so, nobody else was allowed to enter.

We finally got through security (without losing our shoes or wheelchair) and waited a long time in the line for the customs agents, watching while they photographed and fingerprinted roughly half of the people in front of us. And now for the really cranky making part...

We've turned in a single customs form numerous times despite the stupidity of US local laws, they have generally been willing to acknowledge that other countries have the right to set their own laws. But, apparently they were on a homophobic rampage and we were told that we are not family members because "the US doesn't recognize same sex marriage". I couldn't help myself and asked, "what about the NY State case that upheld the federal law saying you need to honour foreign marriages if they met the laws of the country where they were performed?" His response? "That's a state decision, we're federal." Ummn...yeah, BUT, it's a FEDERAL statute! And, it's been used to enforce marriages of twelve year olds who were married at their parents' behest against their own will. Surely, if you accept that because it was legally performed where it was performed, you ought to accept it when an adult gets married of their own free will in another legally performed ceremony! Urgh! I'm still really :mad::headache: about this issue.

We got through customs (after filling out a second form) and proceeded to the waiting area...it's pretty small and boring for international flights since our local airport isn't one of the big ones and this was the section for people who are already considered to be in the US. My DW sat down and I stood in the longest Tim Horton's line imaginable to get us some muffins for breakfast.

Shortly after I got out of the line it was time to board our plane. We boarded in the first wave (post small children and guests requiring assistance) because of my DW's status and the fact that the airlines seem to like to see the wheelchair early in their gate checking. When we got to the end of the gangway, we took the feet off of the chair and then I waited until there was an employee to point out the chair to. My DW thought I was being too cautious, but, I don't want to lose it.

After sitting down I went promptly to sleep. I think we went for de-icing and were slightly delayed, but, I was only partially paying attention. Shortly after we were airborne, the lead flight attendant came over to tell us that the w/c was on-board, but, had been left sitting on the tarmac when they first closed the hold because the ground employees were convinced it was an airport chair -- despite the 2 gate check tags, the personal baggage tag and the fact that it was in the gate check clump of stuff. So, in the end, it was lucky that I'd insisted on speaking to a crew member about it because she had asked the ground crew to confirm that they had our w/c. I woke up briefly for this conversation and then went back to sleep. I put a movie on to watch, but, have no idea what happened.

We landed ahead of schedule in Orlando, got to ME without incident (unlike the time we were both convinced that it MUST be on the other side of the terminal), did the new faster check-in, got on a bus and were on our way to WDW within record time. While on the bus, I wrote an update to this report with our schedule. Woohoo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter