The Last Minute(-ish) Pre-Christmas Trip....

hematite153

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
Myself:
Turning 35 on the first day of this trip. I am a bit of an extreme interdisciplinarian and have been everything from a language teacher to a computer technician. At the moment I'm a high school science teacher, but, I still use lines like "in my other life" when describing things to students. As a teacher I can't normally travel to disney at the "best" times and since I hate crowds and heat it's challenging to fulfill my disney cravings.

I like planning and I like understanding systems and using my knowledge to gain an advantage. Thus, the complications of touring plans and the obsession with which people plan wdw vacations is likely what drew me in. I don't like "thrill rides", I get motion sickness easily (i.e. Carousel of Progress always leaves me queasy), I am terrified of heights and I enjoy the fact that wdw is set up such that I can have a good time and experience attractions despite these afflictions.

I have fibromyalgia and last year I tore a bunch of things in my knee. During a typical wdw trip I end up pushing myself through a bunch of pain. But, my fibro is such that pushing through the pain to the point of true exercise usually makes me feel better a couple of days later as compared to stopping when I'm in pain. However, standing or sitting still is fairly excruciating, so, I really hate waiting in lines for attractions and am very motivated to understand what to do when. I have some odd food allergies. (Odd in the sense that they are uncommon and people often express confusion that it's even possible to be allergic to these things.) Disney is generally good, but, I've had some weird conversations with chefs through the years. (More on this when I discuss food in a later post.)

DW:
(Has been feeling old this year, so, I figure it's not my right to share her exact age, but, we're not that far apart even though she's older.) Used to be a lawyer and is currently a policy consultant. She has an unusual genetic disorder that means her skin layers aren't properly attached and she blisters from things normal people wouldn't even notice as rubbing. So, a vacation on disney's concrete where normal people worry (and complain) about blisters leaves her unable to walk. (Seriously, we've had more than one trip where she thought she could walk this time and by the end of the first afternoon -- you know, the short afternoon where all you do is wander around DTD for an hour or so -- she was limping badly and wincing with each step.) So, a typical wdw vacation, for us, includes her accepting that she can't hide her disability as easily as she wishes and that she needs to use a wheelchair. (More on this when I discuss mobility plans in a later post.)

DW loves thrill rides, but, loves the story aspects of wdw attractions and designs even more than the thrills. She's forever convincing me to ride something because I "just have to see the story details". Loves good food and loves to let herself eat junk food on vacation that she won't eat at home. Loves the various night-time spectaculars.

Us Together:
We're an odd combination of very cheap and what I consider to be financially comfortable. I think what happens is that we always make our decisions (about life) with an eye to cost and cost effectiveness and the result is that it feels like we have enough money for all the things that really matter to us. My DW worries about money more than I do because she's more conscious of the fact that our actual income has been sporadic and our costs have been high. We've been trying to become parents for the past 6 years and have spent a FORTUNE on associated medical bills. But, somehow, we've always payed off every procedure before starting the next one. So, from a disney perspective, we gravitate towards value resorts because we're too cheap to pay for anything else. But, we got convinced (relatively easily when we did the math) to buy into DVC because we actually like the amenities of the nicer places. And, we recently purchased a 2nd DVC contract because we wanted to take advantage of the collapsed real estate market and we aren't paying for another IVF round until at least the spring.

We don't eat ANY of the same food. So, in our daily lives we rarely eat together and one of the things we like about vacation is eating out. Wdw is a place where we get to do this in restaurants where both of us enjoy our meals at the same time -- it's an impressive feat!

We are capable of getting up early and both like to swim, so, if we're going to the parks we usually hit rope drop and we have been known to swim lengths at the resort after walking for 12 hours in a park. Despite our best intentions, we have trouble staying through the night-time events and have been known to skip dessert (even when on the dining plan) because we were too tired to stay up long enough to eat it. We're also some of the odd people who've been known to use the exercise rooms in the resorts and we really appreciate the DVC pool/gym hopping perks.

We're Canadian and tend to think that Florida doesn't really get cold. So, we'll likely talk about how hot it is. Though we did, once, have the experience of getting really cold when the temperature dropped from about 20C to 4C while we were at the MK and we proceeded to stand around in the cold wind for several hours after getting wet in a mini rain. (Oh yeah, as a Canadian, you'll find that I'm likely to speak in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.) Where being Canadian really comes into play for a December trip is that we once spent the day at Typhoon Lagoon with only around 20 other people and we thought that it was a really nice pleasant day to hang around a water park. (Granted, the other 20 people seemed to share our opinion since they came from Canada, Minnesota and the UK.)

Okay, hopefully, that's enough of a teaser to keep some of you reading and I'll try to add another post tomorrow.

I spent several years not teaching and we were able to go to WDW during the fall and Jan. One of the things that we've been very aware of as I started teaching again is that getting to WDW was going to become much harder.

I get a week off in March. I get time off in the summer when it's crowded and way too hot. And, I get time off around Christmas. The catch to Christmas is that it's crowded, too expensive and we're religious so being at home at Christmas is important to us.

When we started thinking about buying a new DVC contract this fall, we started talking about when we could get there. We can't go in March because we're going to Hilton Head (yay!). My DW started talking about whether I could take a day off for us to go for a long weekend. But, we live kind of far away and the cost, vacation ratio for such a trip is just way beyond our cheap genes.

As some of you know, we've recently become foster parents. Our first placement involved a teen who was misplaced and needed far greater supports than we were able to provide. The experience was one of the most challenging of my life and the aftermath has been a mix of self recrimination (because we didn't know enough to not trust the information we were given and because we weren't able to make a connection) and conviction that we actually have a lot of skills for dealing with kids in crisis. It didn't go as planned, but, we learned a lot about many things, including our own capacity to irrationally care for someone.

As we recovered from the placement we asked for a break before the next one, but, also started saying..."when can we go to Disney?" You see, Disney is our "happy place", the place where we go to get away from things. Plus, planning a disney trip can be so all-consuming that you don't have time to stress about other issues.

Clearly we needed a trip to plan and sooner seemed better -- doesn't it always?

I haven't been on the boards much lately...but when I saw a pre trippy by you I knew I had to be "involved".

Keep it coming and I'll try to keep the hijacking to a minimum. :hug:

Have a fantastic time! I hope you will get some much needed time for relaxation. I look forward to reading about your trip!

I haven't been on the boards much lately...

Yeah...where've you been???? Haven't you noticed that I've been around a bit more??? (Okay, I'm still only dropping in a couple of times a week, but, it's better than it was last year.)

but when I saw a pre trippy by you I knew I had to be "involved".

Have a fantastic time! I hope you will get some much needed time for relaxation. I look forward to reading about your trip!

Welcome! Hopefully, I'll keep you entertained.

Keep it coming and I'll try to keep the hijacking to a minimum. :hug:

Don't worry, the hijacking, around here, is generally fun.

Great start to the TR -- count me in!

(I'm a teacher as well, so I also have restrictions on when I can travel. I have no idea what an uncrowded WDW park looks like...)

Great start to the TR -- count me in!

Thanks!

(I'm a teacher as well, so I also have restrictions on when I can travel. I have no idea what an uncrowded WDW park looks like...)

Yeah, it's a bit more challenging than most people seem to think. An uncrowded park is really a wonderful thing.

My best recommendations on finding a lack of crowds are:
- Every now and then I have a week off after New Year's. We went to WDW the last time that happened and there were a couple of days (around the 3rd-ish) that were quiet.
- Try to travel in the midst of a big hurricane. We were there during Charley (damage to our car may not have been worth it) and it was easy to get on things. Another year we were there at the end of August in the midst of an expected serious hurricane strike, but, the storm passed to the side and WDW was just covered in heavy rain for the day. We hit the parks and walked on to everything -- even Dumbo in the middle of the afternoon -- we wanted...I think we averaged 5-6 attractions per hour for the entire day.

As we asked ourselves the question of when we could go to WDW, I noticed that there was a week between my last teaching day and Christmas this year. Of course, people book their Christmas vacation at WDW more than a year out and their DVC Christmases at 11 months. Then, people use waitlists because they only realized that a relative wanted to join them when they were 6 months out, but, we thought...perhaps we can plan a trip at the last minute anyway. After all, there's this new section in the DVC forums where people post information about DVC availability and several resorts looked like they had availability for the week in question.

Of course, Christmas season air travel also books up early and gets pricey. So, we assumed we should drive. The drive takes 24 hours (of road time) and for a variety of reasons, we only drive rental cars when we go on vacation. (Check out a future post for details on our vacation jinx.) Our standard approach has become a drive down in 2 days (one really long one and one medium one such that we arrive mid-afternoon) and drive back in 3 days (usually with a half day hanging out at the pool, etc. before we get on the road).

As I said earlier, Christmas itself is important to us -- not the secular version of it that is celebrated at WDW, but, the religious one. Being part of our church community for the Christmas Eve service gives us a sense of belonging and of being important, loved family members. So, we need to get home by late afternoon on Dec. 24th.

If we left home early on the Saturday morning (after my last teaching day) and stuck with our usual driving plan, we'd arrive mid-Sunday afternoon and then turn around and start driving home midday Tuesday. We'd get one full day in WDW (park touring?), 2 half days and a bunch of days of driving.

Hmmn...this doesn't seem worth it, but, at the same time it sounds like there might be enough space (in the sense of time) and I really wanted to go.

So, my DW decided that the idea was crazy and should be abandoned in favour of trying to plan an August trip and I decided that I just needed to come up with a better plan.

So, my DW decided that the idea was crazy and should be abandoned in favour of trying to plan an August trip and I decided that I just needed to come up with a better plan.

So you give us a real pager turner here, but where's the next page? :santa:

So you give us a real pager turner here, but where's the next page? :santa:

There's an earlier thread (plus the title of this one) that make it clear we're actually going.

The details of this trip will take a few more days to come out though. As I said, I'm trying to stretch things out so that I'll have something to say everyday...not sure I have enough, so, I'll have to leave you hanging periodically. (I'm glad you're interested enough to want to know what's coming, though.)

Apparently I'm addicted...I couldn't help myself, I had to come back and think about this some more. Granted, spending lots of time thinking about it was sort of the point of writing this, so, I guess I should be happy about it.

So...the beginning of a better plan included looking for flights. We have a few US airports a 4-8 hour drive away. So, we looked for a flight that might let us arrive in WDW on Friday night. Not only couldn't I find a flight that would get us there on the schedule I was hoping for, but, I also couldn't come home on the 24th and get in early enough for the drive home to get us to Christmas Eve service and the prices were already out of control.

I also figured I might as well quickly look at flights from home and they were out of control pricey -- as expected.

So, could we drive down faster?

Well, my DW could pick me up from school and we could drive for about 8 hours on Friday night which would allow us to arrive around midnight on Sat night and/or early Sunday morning (with the goal of spending the Sat night very close by). If we were then willing to be dedicated to the drive home (the way we usually are with the way down), we could leave on the morning of the 23rd and get home in time for church. This newer plan would give us 3 full days at WDW and seemed like a really good idea to me. My DW still needed convincing and kept running numbers regarding costs for what was essentially a 3 day vacation bookended by heavy driving.

But, then, I noticed the dates! The Saturday in question was my birthday and the free admission on your birthday offer would still be in play. The current plan would have us arriving a few hours too late to take advantage of it, but, maybe we could modify something and change that....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter