The July (2010) Plan needs Pixie Dust: DVC, Minivan & Twins Included

I was wondering whether to order online from the Garden Grocer and have the goods delivered to our WDW hotel for our arrival.

We used them for our other two trips. I highly recommend them if you don't have a car or for convenience. Since we have a car, I think we will just stop at a store on the way for the cold items. We will be able to bring nonperishables.

I stopped at Home Depot and picked up (ten at a time in random colors as casually as I could) Mickey heads to create our countdown calendar. :goodvibes DTs eagerly numbered them 1 through 100. I think my 100 day countdown starts tomorrow (insert nailbiting smilie here). I am not sure what exactly I should do! I want to reuse them year after year; I can't imagine having to take 100 more each year!

Any ideas, anyone?

We are 100 days from Disney!!! BUT I still have Mickey heads sitting on the coffee table. So, tomorrow we are off to Michaels. I am thinking that I will get a wooden D (for Disney of course) and screw in a hook (or some type of nail??). I will put small holes in each of the Mickey heads to hang on our letter. On the back of the D I will affix an envelope. We can remove a Mickey heard each day and put it in the envelope!

Edited to include two posts in one:

Today is 99 away! No envelope - stashed them in a drawer underneath where the D is hanging. I opted for the kitchen. We need to paint it black so it matches the furniture and decor, but I was too excited to wait to share! I asked the girls if they wanted a "X" for our last name (haha Nikki - I changed it!) a D, or a M (for Mickey of course). They picked the D.
Although my family already thinks that I am Disney nuts, the D won't strike anyone immediately as odd since it is my initial.
IMG_2896.jpg

We are 100 days from Disney!!! BUT I still have Mickey heads sitting on the coffee table. So, tomorrow we are off to Michaels. I am thinking that I will get a wooden D (for Disney of course) and screw in a hook (or some type of nail??). I will put small holes in each of the Mickey heads to hang on our letter. On the back of the D I will affix an envelope. We can remove a Mickey heard each day and put it in the envelope!

Now, I have to decide where to hang the D!

I'll post a picture after we make it.

Oh that sounds cute! Very original!

IMG_2896.jpg

Today is 99 away! No envelope - stashed them in a drawer underneath where the D is hanging. I opted for the kitchen. We need to paint it black so it matches the furniture and decor, but I was too excited to wait to share! Although my family already thinks that I am nuts, the D won't strike anyone immediately as odd since it is my initial. I asked the girls if they wanted an H, a D, or a M (for Mickey of course). They picked the D.

I love it! Does your last name start with H? Be careful not to give us too must information or we may find you!! ;)

(I hope you don't mind the joke. I know, it's a scary world out there!)

We are a park family. We easily make rope drops; we tour commando. We love the rides. (Okay, I like the rides, but I love my family.) It will be July, though. We will need to slooow the pace. We are also DVC members which means yearly (possibly bi-yearly) trips. I am going to plan in some resort time to take advantage of what Disney resorts have to offer. So, what do Disney resorts offer? I'll begin with AKL/ AKV - since that is where this year's adventure will begin.

mousebeatakl.jpg

• Ask for a sheet at desk for Hidden Mickey Safari - different Mickeys have different point values
  • Nighttime story telling
  • Night Vision Goggles
  • Pelican and flamigo feeding (by handlers)
  • Two pools each with slide; Jambo slide 67 feet and Kidani, 128 feet)

Animal Scavenger Hunt:
WildlifeGuidePage1.jpg

WildlifeGuidePage2.jpg

I found a daily activities page from 2008. I will keep searching for a more recent version:
septdailyact.jpg

page 2
actpage2.jpg

Resort Map:
AKLresortmap.jpg

DVC Rooms and Kidani:
jambomaproomsmarked.jpg

kidanimap.jpg

Bibliography:
Mouseforless.com
Mouse beat
aklresort.com

I'm joining yours too! Sounds like we're a lot alike as far as personalities. I enjoy being in control. I'm type A when I can be, but somethings in life seem to become "type B" because I just can't manage to handle it all :confused3

Also- I am in agreement on the minivan- the soccer mom look IS cool! We got one when DS was born. I thought DH would never want one and now we can't imagine life without it.

And, well, I think I'm in love with Stan! :love: I got a Passporter, but it really doesn't cover the level of planning that I do (DH said- why do you need that? Don't you already know everything in there?) Plus, I love how you used the scrapbooking stickers, etc. Can't wait to read more!

I'm joining yours too! Sounds like we're a lot alike as far as personalities. And, well, I think I'm in love with Stan! :love: I got a Passporter, but it really doesn't cover the level of planning that I do (DH said- why do you need that? Don't you already know everything in there?) Plus, I love how you used the scrapbooking stickers, etc. Can't wait to read more!

:wave2: Glad you joined me for my PTR. I adore the Passporter! I fought the urge to buy another. It was ideal for our first trip; I carried it in my Vera Bradley Yellow Bird Small Backpack the whole trip! (I left the Unofficial Guide in our hotel room.) I love that the passporter has pockets. I considered ordering a reusable one, but I wasn't in love enough to pay the $$$.

Stan and I have made up. I was able to fix him rather easily. I will make sure he makes appearances if he learns any tricks!

:flower3:

:yay:Topics for further exploration/items to take care of:

Dining Plan- I thought I saw somewhere that kids can order from adult menu at some locations. Also, Mara has two different kid picks menus?

Emergency clinics - someone spoke about this on a podcast. I think since we are DVC members and plan on annual/ biannual visits, this is important info.

Offerings at the resorts - night goggles at AKV - what else?

Countdown calendar - I am almost at our 100 day countdown!!!

Car activities

Grocery store

popcorn::Any advice, resources, or comments that you have to offer would be greatly appreciated! (Lurkers :goodvibes, help please??)

Just catching up Debby - as for emergency clinics - there are several in the area, one is over on 192 and I think there was one right across from Buena Vista Suites where we stayed last week. I would check your insurance before you go to see if any are part of your network. (I am a nurse and worked for an insurance company in the past so I am really tuned into this kind of stuff).

Also, if it is something minor, the concierge desk in the hotel lobby is very helpful. A few trips ago we needed something from a pharmacy - the CM called Turner Drugs and it was delivered to the hotel within a few hours. The charge was minimal. I was very impressed. That was a trip we did not have a car. Also, another trip DS smashed his finger in a door. At first I could not tell if it was broken, we did not have a car and the resort (WL) sent up paramedics. It was silly in retrospect because he had just smashed the fingernail and it came off - which they said was a good thing or they would have taken him to an ER to have it removed. But, it is nice to know they do have the resources to help deal with things like this.

Happy Easter everyone. The bunny came, we visited church, now is the downtime before the family dinner! What should I be doing during this downtime you ask? I should be grading Julius Caesar essays, rhetorical analysis essays, SOAPSTones or planning the fourth marking period's research paper! Instead, what am I doing?:idea: Planning for my Disney trip which is 97 days away!

Now that I have an idea of what the resort offers, Stan will have to plan accordingly.

Day 1 - If all goes well, we will arrive by noon. Quick change, get some lunch, and hit the pool (We'll just visit one for today. I'll plan the other in for another day!) After a relaxing swim/ lounge chair visit, we will shower for the Culinary Tour. This tour gives an overview of Boma's and Jiko's decor and a glance at the food choices. Those who have taken the tour reported offering for tasting at each of the two restaurants. Although, the activities flyer states that it is adult oriented, my daughters love culinary shows so I think it will be up their alley. (I did explain to them that the tour guide will talk about the decor, and we will only get a glimpse of the cooking.)

After the tour, we will be set to head over to AK. (Depending on how rested he is, DH might join us after the tour. He is quite a foody, so he might not want to miss it. Maybe the talk about wines can include a Q&A about beer just for him.)

We will arrive at the park just in time for dinner at Yak and Yeti, but DH or I will stop by EE for some fastpasses.
ExpeditionEverestAsia-1.jpg

After dinner, we can grab fastpasses for Kali, ride EE, head over to Dinoland for Dinosaur and/or Primeval Whirl.

primevalwhirl.jpg

It is EMH, so the park will be open late.

We enjoy this park, so we won't have to worry about hitting everything this one night. I will pack extra shorts and T for me to be able to enjoy Kali River- walking around in wet clothes doesn't bother anyone else in my family.

If we aren't too exhausted, we will hope a bus to Contemporary, Poly, or GF and viist the castle - the site that allows me to "begin" the vacation.

19362d1170441210-annie-leibovitz-cinderella-photo-sj-promo-2007-custom-.jpg

Love these Disney Dream Ads by Annie Leibovitz and thought I could throw one in here!

My neighbor is headed to Disney in a week. She asked me for a must-do list. I told my friend laughing, "She has no idea that I will be providing her with a dissertation!"

So, what are my tips for first timers? (Or someone who hasn't been there for 25 years?)

General -
*Make dining reservations
*Do Early EMH and rope drop!!
*Take breaks - especially if you have young kids. It DOES NOT take too long to return to your hotel (I can only speak for Disney properties) and it is worth it!
*Swim at the pool weather permitting - young children want to and you can't do it all at Disney in one trip anyway!
*Take snacks to the parks and water sprayers (if it's hot). They are great when you are standing in lines.
*People's inclination is to go right; go left. (Of course, Disney people know this, so many you shoud really go right?? :rotfl:)
*Use Fast Passes
*Create a plan for each park (A list of rides in the order you plan to do them.) You don't have to always follow it, but it helps you decide what to do next, so you aren't standing around staring at the map.
*I have never waited longer than the posted time. Usually, the wait is much shorter.
*Week in advance resource for times of shows, etc.: http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/index.htm
*You can get REAL coffee at Poly - if you are coffee drinkers - get it at the Kona Coffee Bar - http://allears.net/din/coffee.htm
*If your kids are into characters, book character breakfasts for around 10:45. You can do the park and ride many rides, have a late breakfast/ early lunch.
*If parades are important to your family, find a seat at least 30 minutes ahead of time.
*Maps by Robo for parade routes, viewing spots, etc: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/maps/

Poly -
*Try Tonga Toast for breakfast (Capt Cook's has it for counter service). One serving is enough for two.
*Have a Dole Whip - Poly has a self-serve machine in Capt. Cook's. Aloha Isle in MK has them also.
*You can watch Wishes from the beach (Then, you can avoid the mass exodus from the parks.) Check to see where the music is piped in. Also, you can watch the Electric Water Pageant from the beach
*Depending on room location, might be quicker/ easier to walk to TTC to catch Epcot monorail. Also, you can catch buses to resorts from TTC. (You can't catch direct bus from Poly to another hotel.)
*Riding the boat is fun if you aren't in a hurry.
*Park hop from the EMH park to a different park - not the other way around.
*Check times guides as you enter the park and add show times into your touring plan.

Magic Kingdom -
*If you are going at a busy time, make an early reservation at Crystal Palace for breakfast. Then, you can be on Main St. virtually alone. If that isn't of interest, you can make a late breakfast ressie and take a break in AC.
*Rides: I love them all except Stitch's Great Escape...avoid with little ones.
*Use Fast Pass

Counter- I like Pecos Bill; DH enjoys Cosmic Rays (Also, they have an animatronic to entertain kids)
Table - Plaza is a cute burger place; enjoyed meal there. Cinderella's Royal Table is for the experience; ate lunch there - food okay- too much $$$.

Animal Kingdom:
*I read reports about Dinosaur and It's Tough to Be a Bug being frightening for kids. I giggled - not my fearless six year olds! Yes, I found my kids had fears. (However, they did not fear Expedition Everest or Tower of Terror at DHS)
*Flights of Wonder is often overlooked - make time for it!
*Safari is reported to be best seen in the morning or later in the afternoon. For a less bumpy ride, sit toward front.
* If you plan on spending one day, decide what show is more important The Festival of the Lion or Finding Nemo: The Musical. Otherwise, see one each day.
*Use Fast Pass

Counter - Flame Tree
Table - Enjoyed Tusker House breakfast

Hollywood Studios:
*Go to Toy Story Mania first. If the line is less than 30 min, ride it, and get a fast pass as soon as you get off. Otherwise, wait in line for a fast pass.
*Decide on importance of shows: Lights, Action, Motor; Beauty and the Beast; Indiana Jones; American Idol- Probably can't fit them all in your day (especially with the other (mini) shows: Voyage of the Little Mermaid; Playhouse Disney Live; Jedi Training)
*If you want to see Fantasmic go to second show if one is available. Arrive at theater at least one hour early - two hours is more the norm these days.

Counter: spots on Sunset Blvd (the street to RNR and TOT)
Table: We plan on trying Sci-Fi - atmosphere is super cool - haven't been yet. People report mixed reviews; burgers are supposed to be safe. Hollywood and Vine was okay - not exciting.

Epcot:
*In World Showcase, find the Epcot Kid Spots for the kids to make masks.
*Do Kim Possible
*Drink a Gray Goose or Grand Marnier Slushie in France (if you drink).
*Get Fast Pass for Soarin early - they run out (or return time is hours and hours)
*Illuminations- advice from ROBO on Disboards is invaluable: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34500665&postcount=9
*Pick a pearl in Japan...haven't done this yet, but I am very excited to have a cool piece of jewelry to remember the trip.

Counter: so many choices in World Showcase (I enjoyed France; DH enjoyed England. Plan to try others each visit.)

Downtown Disney: (Bus rides always seemed long--only time I noticed and was bothered by bus service.)
*Lego place is cool
*Cute shops (soap, Christmas, Giant World of Disney)
Counter Service: Earl of Sandwich - YUM!

Meals we recommend:
*Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare (GF)
*Breakfast at Chef Mickey's (Contemporary)
*Dinner at Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
*Dinner O'Hana (Poly)

Books I recommend:
Passporters
Unofficial Guide to WDW

Website/ Forum:
Disboards.com and wdwinfo.com
allears.net
mousesavers.com

Those are great tips!!!!

I would add - try to see all the evening shows - Spectro/Wishes, Illuminations, Fantasmic, - they are all so beautiful!

Wendy, I forgot all about them -thanks for the reminder! Also, thanks for the clinic info. I still have to call my insurance provider to investigate more. It is helpful to know that Disney's hotels are a great resource too!

Wendy, I forgot all about them -thanks for the reminder! Also, thanks for the clinic info. I still have to call my insurance provider to investigate more. It is helpful to know that Disney's hotels are a great resource too!

You are quite welcome! Most likely you will not need the clinic info - but it helps to be prepared!!

Great list! People think I'm crazy when they say they are going to Disney and I start giving them that list...most of the time I get cut off :rotfl: Some people just don't know that you have to take Disney planning seriously!

Great list! People think I'm crazy when they say they are going to Disney and I start giving them that list...most of the time I get cut off :rotfl: Some people just don't know that you have to take Disney planning seriously!

People's eyes tend to glaze over when I start also.:lmao: I was glad she asked. My first question was, "Do you have dining reservations?" Thank goodness she said, yes.

If you have any suggestions to my list, please let me know! popcorn::

Whenever I am in the bookstore (which for us means B&N), I grab a Disney travel book or two to flip through while my DDs explore the kid's section. So, tonight, on an adventure alone to pick up a birthday gift for my brother (Golf magazines - and subscriptions to them), I grabbed a coffee and two Disney books. While I was selecting, a man was looking at the choices, I told him the two best were Passporters and Unofficial Guide. (I really should get part time jobs in stores. I am a really good salesperson!:lmao:) I also said I wouldn't be offended if he didn't chose either. (Of course, I would have been...:rolleyes1.) Leaving the man perusing Unofficial Guide, I sat down and flipped through "The Official Guide" - Birbaum, perhaps? and maybe a Frommers) Both were disappointing. I wanted to read more about Japan's candy making and pick a pearl. (As if I need any resource other than the dis???) I also wanted to read more about Innovations. Neither of these books had more than a blurb about Japan and not much more about Innovations.

I didn't leave the store Disney empty. I did pick up Pearson's first in the series Kingdom Keepers.
51mGydk%2BuCL._SL500_.jpg

I am excited to read it and if it is okay for my 8 year olds, pass it along to them. I'll let everyone know what I think. (If you have read it, let me know what you think, but please don't ruin the plot for me. ;))

I'll soon work on Day 2's plans - I am a fast reader so I promise that the book won't hold me up. (It certainly will take priority over some papers that need to be graded, though!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter