• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Half-and-Half Report: My Other Half Runs His 1st 1/2 Marathon! Now COMPLETED!!

Kat said:
Goofster: I cannot believe that Buzz let that "I was never a teenage girl" line slide right by!!

I chose to take the high road and ignore that. :snooty:

...actually, I missed it. :headache:

I just got all caught up. The 5k run sounds like it was actually a lot of fun and is definitely something I'm going to look into (much to DH's chagrin).

Good job Ed! I can't imagine running that run EVER!

Yuo had me laughing out loud with the spa treatments and I loved the romantic SATURDAY night date :love:

Sunday, 1/7/07:

Originally I had planned for the two of us to enjoy a lovely character breakfast at the Cape May Cafe this morning, but when I managed to crack open one eye at around 8am I decided that it just wasn’t going to happen! I reached over Ed, who was still comatose, and groped my way over to the phone in the dark. After canceling our ADR I was then able to savor the delicious feeling of rolling over and going back to sleep! Ahh! That was more satisfying than any breakfast! :goodvibes

(Hey, I hardly ever get to do this at home, let alone at Disney. It felt wonderful!)

I’m not exactly sure when we finally did get up, but I do recall that we were headed out to the bus stop somewhere around 10:30 or 11:00. Hey! Look at all the runners! I had almost forgotten that today was the day of the Marathon!

You may recall that there is a little canal that runs between the Swan and the BoardWalk. Well, part of the Marathon course ran along this canal connecting Epcot with the Disney-MGM Studios. We marveled that we were seeing so many people who had been running/walking steadily since 6am! (I added walking to that because at this point, that’s what most of the people were doing.) I understand that a record 16,000 runners had registered for this race, and many of them had already run a half-marathon yesterday! (Those were the “Goofy” ones!)

Half-Marathon medal = Donald
Marathon medal = Mickey
Race-and-a-half medal = Goofy

Our objective was Toontown Fair in the MK so we could get a picture of Ed wearing his medal and his “I did it” tee shirt with the Donald himself. He was already sporting the tee shirt, but had chosen to keep the medal tucked away in his backpack.

“Honey, why don’t you wear your medal?” I asked him. After all, we had seen a few people wearing theirs last night at PI. Ed looked skeptical.

“Nah, I don’t want to look like a dork if no one else is wearing a medal,” he replied.

The MK bus pulled up and we climbed aboard, taking seats that faced the middle. Soon, two women wearing their Donald medals took seats directly across from us. I elbowed my husband and nodded in their direction. “Look, they’re wearing medals,” I said.

“That’s different. They’re women; women always want to wear jewelry.”

Oh, for heaven’s sake! :rolleyes:

We arrived at the MK and stepped off the bus. I continued to pester him as we took a leisurely walk toward the gate. I really thought he should display his hard-earned award.

“Okay, okay,” he said. “If we see another guy wearing a medal, I’ll put mine on.”

We ducked through the tunnel and were greeted by the ever-bouncy, upbeat music as we entered the Town Square. It was such a strange feeling to be entering the park so late in the morning; we’re usually arriving either just at opening or late in the afternoon after a break. It amazed me to see how many other guests were just arriving. Still, Main Street did not seem exceptionally crowded and we were able to enjoy the nostalgic hometown feeling as we strolled up toward the Castle.

IMGP0893.jpg

What a gorgeous day!

We followed our noses to the Bake Shop. Funny how even the artificially created smell of cookies baking can draw you in just like the real thing! We found a lone little table, dragged two of the heavy wrought-iron chairs over and sat down to a late breakfast. For some reason it still felt like morning, even though it was lunch time, and we just weren’t up for burgers or sandwiches. I’m not sure, but I think we both had fruit, and Ed had a yogurt/granola parfait-thingy while I had a croissant. While we were eating, a man wearing a Mickey medal came in and sat down next to us. Ah-ha! :thumbsup2 Ed took out his Donald medal and placed it around his neck.

After our meal, we wandered back out into the street. We took a right at the hub and at Ed's request, I stopped to pose for a picture in front of the rose garden.

IMGP0896-1.jpg

Here was another couple enjoying the garden....

IMGP0895.jpg

We then cut through the Noodle Station and strolled into TomorrowLand, where we found a CM standing a post in front of the brandy-new Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club.

“Any previews today?” I inquired, hopefully.
“I have no idea,” the CM answered with a shrug of his shoulders. “They don’t give us much notice before each show; we have no schedule at all yet. We’ve just been telling people to keep stopping by throughout the day and maybe they’ll get lucky.”

It seemed a bit silly… imagine telling a guest to keep circling past an attraction throughout the day and maybe it just might open! If I had been in my usual ultra-organized TGM-style touring mode, I probably would have had an OCP (Obsessive-Compulsive Planner) meltdown. :crazy:

Hmmm. Oh well, we decided it would probably be more fun seeing it for the first time the following year with the kids, anyway! They both really loved the Monster’s, Inc. movie. (Personally, I liked it even better than Toy Story, but :ssst: don’t tell Buzz and Woody!) We continued on through TL into Toontown. It seemed a bit more crowded here, but we were determined to visit the Duck, so we entered the big, striped tent and braved the queue in the Toontown Hall of Fame.

It was a long, slow line, but at least we had the little TV monitors running Disney word and picture scrambles to keep us somewhat entertained while we waited. Eventually, we were able to meet the Donald and Ed posed and showed off his medal to the Dapper Duck:

IMGP0897.jpg

Poor Chip & Dale! I hope they didn’t feel too rejected. Not really wanting to take up the characters’ valuable time, we breezed right past them and out the other side of the tent and into the obligatory gift shop. I didn’t bother poking around, thought, because I had more serious shopping to do.

wdwtrip06-349mk.jpg

The whistle of the steam locomotive beckoned and we hopped the train at the Toontown station and took a delightful ride around to FrontierLand. From there, we quickly moved backwards in time as we strolled into Liberty Square and I scoped out my targeted shopping destination.

Ed’s Aunt Rae had purchased some Mickey-shaped tree ornaments at Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe when we visited in November. She loved them so much that she had decided that next year, she would decorate her entire (tabletop) tree in Mickeys of every color. ::MickeyMo I had been assigned the task of picking up two more packages of said glass ornaments and having them shipped to her back in Jersey.

(BTW, if you want to read a funny little bit about Aunt Rae in the Christmas Shoppe sometime, click on the link to my first TR, below, and read post #139.)

Normally, I would jump at the chance to wander around a Christmas store, especially a Disney Christmas store. But, perhaps since it was already a week past New Year’s, I had pretty much reached the super-saturation point when it came to Christmas decorations. So, after completing my assignment, I left the store virtually empty-handed. Ed was amazed.

“You mean, you didn’t buy anything??” he asked as I emerged from the shop.
“Nope.”
“Okay.” He paused for a moment, obviously stunned.
“What are we doing now?” he asked, expectantly.
“I don’t know. What do you want to do?”
“I don’t know,” he replied. “What do you want to do?”

We looked at each other and laughed. It felt good to be a bit aimless for a change!

Next Up: An entertaining evening at Epcot.

Kathy

Great update... and I really loved the pic of your DH with Donald! (PS: it always feels funny to me, typing 'DH'... first time my hubby saw that he asked me "What's DH? Designated hitter? That makes no sense in this context!")

Oooohh. It feels SOOO good to sleep in on vacation. One time at OKW we were sleeping with the door to the deck open and it was raining outside and it felt so good we all slept until after 9 a.m.

As I look at the pictures you took of the Castle at MK, I can't get over the fact that they almost look fake! The background behind the picture of you is almost too perfect... like you're standing in front of canvas or something. I love the picture of the castle you took with the fluffy clouds and the big bird flying through. That looks fake also!! That place is so beautiful!

BTW: I woulda been sportin' that medal wherever I went! Lin would have been trying to get me to take mine off!! :rotfl2:

Still Sunday, 1/7/07:

I have a little confession to make.

I have absolutely no recollection of exactly what we did next; neither does Ed! :rolleyes1

All I can remember about this portion of the afternoon was that we drifted along, just enjoying the feeling of being unencumbered by children, big backpacks, and touring schedules. Ed’s legs were a little sore, so we were obliged to just take our time, anyway. We spent time just admiring the amazing scenery in the Magic Kingdom; it was such a pretty day!

I especially enjoyed meandering along Main Street, USA. It seems that Main St. always gets lost in the coming and going; we actually took time to read many of the windows. We had learned during our previous Keys to the Kingdom tour that Walt created the MK with a cinematic eye, treating it like a film or a show: The park entrance is like a theater lobby (thus the posters in the tunnel of coming attractions and the ever-present popcorn popcorn:: vendor), and the windows on Main Street serve as “credits”, like in a film title sequence. Walt has two windows, the first and last that you see, because he was the film’s “director”. That’s what sets the WDW parks apart from the others; there’s so much attention given to theme and detail. I had hoped to catch some of the Streetmosphere characters, but our timing just wasn’t right. Oh well! I would have enjoyed gabbing with the Ladies! (I like to get into character, too. Ed just takes a few steps back and pretends we’re not together!)

We had an early dinner ADR at Epcot, and since it was already around 3:00, we decided that we might as well take the monorail over so we could enjoy a bit of World Showcase before our meal. Of course, as we exited the park, I did my traditional “backwards walk” since we would be saying goodbye to the Magic Kingdom for at least another ten months, when we would return with the kids. Sigh! :sad1:

As we emerged on the other side of the tunnel, I caught sight of two characters signing autographs just inside the turnstiles. I had never seen these two in the parks before…

“Oh, look Honey! It’s Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow!” I exclaimed. “Let’s get a picture…” but they wrapped up their meet ‘n greet before we had a chance to make it over there. A friendly CM “greeter” was standing nearby and she gave me a smile.

“You wouldn’t believe how many people don’t know who those two are,” she said, laughing. “I’ve heard so many parents say, ‘Oh, its Goofy!’ and tell their child to go get a picture with Goofy,” she added.

“Well, who do they think the other character is?” asked Ed. “Mrs. Goofy??”

This began a nice conversation with the CM. She was a longtime Disney-lover who had lived up North and retired to the Orlando area so she could work part time at WDW. We were soon joined by another CM with practically the same personal history; retired and now working for Disney. He was collecting information for research, so we answered a few questions and then continued to have a very pleasant chat. After a while, we bade them both goodbye and crossed over to the monorail station and waited for the next train.

Soon we were off to the TTC, and eventually made the connection to Epcot. Ed was all smiles; he loves the monorail! (And he was happy to see more and more medal-wearers just like him.)

It was apparently an uneventful stroll through Future World, because, for the life of me, I cannot recall anything of note. I do know that I was still on a mission to find that white YOMD sweatshirt for Aunt Rae, so I had a perfect excuse to drag Ed into MouseGears to continue the hunt. After much searching and several consultations with CM salespeople, we concluded that any white sweatshirt style that she had seen back in November must have been sold out over the holidays and that it was no longer available. A quick cell phone call to NJ determined that “any grey sweatshirt that did not say 2007” would suffice, so I was able to procure the substitute and made it out of there in record time (just under an hour!) :hourglass

Well! That wasn’t so bad, really. After all, I also had to pick up thank-you souvies for my sister and niece for staying with the kids over the weekend, as well as something for Billy and Tricia. :hug: I finished shopping just as Ed’s eyes were beginning to glaze over and he was starting to mumble incoherently. After arranging to have everything sent home, we escaped the retail rattrap and got back out into the fresh air, which soon revived him.

Having checked off these last things on my “to do list”, I was in a thoroughly good mood as we took the winding path past the Odyssey building and into World Showcase.

Bring on the food! :woohoo:

Kathy

I never really thought about what it would be like to go to Disney with children, silly of course as it is a child driven place :lmao:. I am reminded of the Unofficial Guide's "Dumbo or Die travel plans" and it must be a lot to take on, although rewarding. It really is nice just going the two of us and I have to start taking advantage and realizing it before it's too late! :lmao:

I have a little confession to make.

I have absolutely no recollection of exactly what we did next; neither does Ed!

All I can remember about this portion of the afternoon was that we drifted along, just enjoying the feeling of being unencumbered by children, big backpacks, and touring schedules. Ed’s legs were a little sore, so we were obliged to just take our time, anyway. We spent time just admiring the amazing scenery in the Magic Kingdom; it was such a pretty day!

Sounds like the "Perfect Day" to me.

I finished shopping just as Ed’s eyes were beginning to glaze over and he was starting to mumble incoherently. After arranging to have everything sent home, we escaped the retail rattrap and got back out into the fresh air, which soon revived him.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

That sounds like my dad at World of Disney...My mom always sends him and the boys to the Lego Store so that we girls can shop!

I can't wait for more! I love the food at Epcot. yum yum!

More toe pulling and thumb gouging from Brutus. “Ow!” I responded. “You’ve got a lot of tension in that part of your body,” he observed, as he pressed harder. “How about here?” Again with the deep pressure.

:crazy2: “Aggh, Brutus, you’re killin’ me, man!” I sat up partially on my elbows. He looked at me thoughtfully and with a completely serious face he pronounced, “you’ve got a lot of tension in your uterus

:rolleyes1

For a wild split second I considered kicking him, accidentally of course. I had my reasons. But I decided that would be very un-Disneylike of me.

“Uh, I do have my period so, yeah, I’d definitely agree that there’s some ‘tension’ there,” I said through smiling, gritted teeth. :bitelip: Then, I stopped smiling. “Now, move away from the uterus before you get a kick in the face!” I don't think he could tell whether I was kidding him or not.

“…And, we’re moving on,” he announced.
“Thank you.” I laid my head back once more and took a deep, cleansing breath. "I appreciate that, really."

And to think, for this I spent $50 on a spa pedicure. :rolleyes: I should have left my feet nasty.

Kathy,
I have been lurking and reading your trip report (I LOVED your other TR, by the way!).....this has to be the funniest thing I have ever read! My 10 year old son was wanting to know why I was sitting here laughing out loud!

Melissa

EPCOT

Sunday Evening:

We must have spent more time shopping at MouseGears than I had originally intended, because we didn’t have too much time to dawdle as we rounded the Showcase in a counter-clockwise fashion toward Japan. Back when we were planning this weekend, I asked Ed to choose a WS restaurant for this evening and he picked Teppanyaki Dining Room. This was one of those places that we had always been hesitant about trying when we had the children with us. Well, I should qualify that by saying when we had Billy with us. Scorching hot steel-topped tables and autistic kids are not a good mix! :eek:

There was a cool breeze blowing across the lagoon and although it was just approaching five o’clock, the January sky was already beginning to fade from brilliant blue to a pinky-purple. Don’t ask me why, but for some reason I have no pictures of this evening! :rolleyes: I do tend to forget my photography duties when I’m having a good time, so it’s a given that we were really enjoying ourselves that night.

Periodically we would cross paths with other runners sporting Mickey, Donald, or Goofy medals and they would nod or wave at Ed when they spotted his Donald. Soon he was doing the same! It struck me as funny; it was like they were all members of the same club. Well, in a way, I suppose they were!

We soon arrived at the beautiful Japan pavilion. To our left was the stunning Goju-No-Tu pagoda and to our right was the large Mitsukoshi Department Store. On the second floor, at the top of a very long, very steep wooden staircase, was the entrance to the Teppanyaki Dining Room.

“You’ve got to be kidding!” Ed exclaimed as he surveyed the steep ascent. (His leg muscles were still tired from yesterday.)

“Well, you picked the restaurant,” I replied. “I’ll go up and check in at the podium; you just take your time…” and off I went at a quick pace up the stairs.

After stopping a second or two to catch my breath (boy, those stairs are steep!), I opened the door and went inside. It took me a moment to get myself oriented. There are actually three eateries here: Tempura Kiku, (a tempura bar), Yakitori House, (which is Japanese “fast food”,), and our destination, the Teppanyaki Dining Room, (featuring the grill tables and performance chefs.) Oh, and I shouldn’t forget to include the Matsu No Ma Lounge! The place was packed. There were guests standing/sitting everywhere and I needed to squeeze through the crowd to get to the correct podium. A hostess took our name and handed us the blinky pager. I turned to find Ed just coming in the double glass doors. He leaned against a large planter.

“That was fun,” he said sarcastically.

We were fortunate to be standing next to a family who had just been called in for their table, so we were able to score seats in the waiting area. Ed reached down and rubbed both of his calves.

BLING! BLING!

Our eyes were drawn to the sound of elevator doors opening nearby. A family with a wheelchair guest exited the elevator and I sheepishly looked over at Ed.

“Do you mean to tell me that I could have taken an ELEVATOR??” he demanded. Ooops. :blush: I had to admit that I forgot about the existence of the elevator inside the department store. “Heh-heh, sorry honey!” I answered guiltily.

“And you call yourself a Dis-er!” he teased. “Give me that thing,” he motioned to the LGMH tag on my little backpack. “You don’t deserve to wear it!”

“Those stairs are a killer, huh?” the man sitting across from us laughed. He and his teenage son were wearing medals, too. And running shoes. He was a friendly sort and he and Ed launched into a lengthy discussion about the marathon weekend and running in general. His wife and I exchanged smiles as the men traded their “war stories” from the road.

It turned out to be a very lengthy discussion! :hourglass

After about 20 minutes, the other family was called and we were left to continue our wait for another 10 minutes more. Wow, a 30-minute wait for a 5pm ADR on a Sunday night! I’m so glad that we hadn’t made it for later! Ed was pleased, however, he had enjoyed making conversation with the other fellow and for the umpteenth time he noted the overwhelming sense of camaraderie among runners that seemed to be endemic at WDW.

Our pager lit and we returned to the podium. Several parties were gathered together and we trailed the kimono-clad hostess down a long hallway and into one of the many dining rooms. Each room contained four steel-topped tables of eight. As in any restaurant, the tables were in varying stages of their meal. Two of them seemed to be at the entrée stage and the third were just finishing dessert. We took seats around the table and the hostess politely warned us to be careful not to touch the heated surface. Then, she disappeared, leaving us to acquaint ourselves not only with the menu, but with each other as well.

Our table consisted of four “deuces”, or parties of two. Three of the deuces were couples, one of the other couples was about our age and another was in their late twenties. The last duo was an older woman and her middle-aged daughter. I confess that I was a bit disappointed that we had not had the good fortune to be sitting with the friendly folks we had met earlier in the waiting area. No one here seemed particularly interested in conversation. Well, I thought, perhaps that would change after everyone had ordered.

I’m not a sushi eater, and neither is Ed, so we decided to skip the appetizers, which seemed to consist mostly of tofu, seaweed, or sushi. There was a tiny bowl of some sort of seaweed concoction at each place setting; I tried it (just so I could say that I did it!), but it didn’t appeal to me. A waitress appeared to take our drink and food orders.

Now, last night, you may recall, I had a couple of beers before/with my dinner and they practically put me to sleep! :faint: I didn’t want a repeat, so I decided to order something non-alcoholic. Ed was having iced tea. Plain old Nestea iced tea. I tried to suggest that he live dangerously and at least try an iced green tea, but he wouldn’t have any of that. I ordered a Momo: peach, orange juice, and light cream (and a glass of water!). When the drinks arrived, everyone oohed and ahhed at the Momo because it came in a tall glass with fruit and a little umbrella! It looked and tasted quite exotic and no one at the table really needed to know that it was non-alcoholic, right? :ssst:

Ed chose the Fugiyama for his entrée: grilled steak and shrimp with grilled veggies, udon noodles, and steamed rice. I opted for the Hatamoto: the same, but with grilled chicken and shrimp.

Now our teppan chef appeared, wearing a tall, white paper hat. Have you ever seen a Japanese Anime cartoon? The characters are usually drawn with huge, white toothy grins. Our chef had such a big, infectious smile that she instantly reminded me of an Anime character! I couldn’t stop smiling back! I wish I had taken note of her name. She came out with a little cart that held all the food/spices/equipment she would need and began working on our dinners.

Hot oil was first poured on the table and the metal surface spatted and smoked a bit. She began by quickly cutting up the vegetables as she made general conversation with the group in a thick, but decipherable accent. I remember her making a cute little joke about Mickey Mouse being her boss! She made a “volcano” out of stacked onion slices, poured a little cooking oil down the center, and the volcano smoked impressively. She bowed and smiled profusely and we all applauded. :) How could we not help smiling, too? She was so into it!

Next, she began cooking everyone’s meat/shellfish/ chicken and sprinkled a little of this and a little of that while she did little fancy chops and flourishes. The little tails of the shrimp were chopped off, flipped up in the air, and caught in the crown of the tall paper chef’s hat. All the tails, that is, but one! There was one stubborn one that just wouldn’t play along and the chef kept missing it three or four times. When the shrimp was finally captured, she bowed and grinned and nodded for our approval…and we gave it with another round of applause!

“Sesame seeds! Sesame seeds!” she exclaimed to one side of the table as she sprinkled them on the vegetables. “Sesame seeds!” she demonstrated to the other side. She quickly pushed a small amount of the seeds into a straight line with a metal spatula and stood back triumphantly.

“Sesame Street!!” she exclaimed.

Laughter and a few groans from the table. :rotfl:

(Well, I think Muppet humor is hysterical, so I was laughing!)

Before you knew it, the individual dinners were distributed on our plates, our cheerful chef retired to the kitchen, and we proceeded to eat. One thing’s for sure, you couldn’t ask for fresher food! Ed and I shared a little bit; I gave him some shrimp (okay, most of my shrimp!) and he let me sample some of his steak. The vegetables were nice and crisp; really everything tasted good.

Not very good interaction between the table-mates, though. The woman sitting to my right did not talk much and when she did, she directed her comments to her daughter. Ed was on my left and he talked a little bit with the couple on the other side of him, it’s hard to have a conversation when you are seated on three sides of a rectangular table, like this: l___l. I think this experience would be better for a larger group or a family; it’s really a roll of the dice when it’s just the two of you. From the looks of things, we got seated with a bunch of duds! Oh, well. At least the chef had been entertaining.

I did notice that over in the next dining room, there was a table with two couples wearing bride and groom ears. Perhaps they were seated together because the hostess thought they would have something in common to talk about! I remember thinking that the strategy could easily break either way; either the two brides :bride: :bride: would have a great time talking about their respective weddings/honeymoons, or, they would be annoyed at having to share the bride-diva spotlight! I wished that I had been in on that table’s conversation; it was hard to tell how the brides were taking it since they both had their backs to me!

Before I knew it, everyone at my table (except me) was done eating. Since none of our table was interested in desert, the bills were distributed and everyone just got up to leave! Hey, wait a minute! I’m still working on my Hatamoto!! Ed sat with me for a minute, but a hostess stood quietly by the table and I felt a bit pressured to get up so it could be readied for the next group. Ed wanted me to take my time and finish, but I just couldn’t, I felt too guilty. (That’s another thing that probably wouldn’t happen with a large group; everyone would wait until the last person was finished before getting up from the table.) So, after shoveling one final forkful of chicken in my mouth, I returned the nod of the hostess and we made our back down the long hallway to the front of the restaurant.

Wow! What a crowd! No wonder they were hurrying us out! We both stopped to use the restroom before leaving. Such a pretty lounge area in the Ladies’ room; colorful little brush paintings hung on the walls and exotic silk flower arrangements stood on the counters. We stepped outside and walked a short way around the wraparound balcony so that we could gaze past the torii gate and out over the lagoon.

“What do you want to do now…,” Ed began, but the ringing of his cell phone answered the question for me. It was a problem at work; ::cop: his sergeant was calling for advice and he had to take the call. Suddenly, Matsuriza, the Japanese drum group, appeared at the pagoda across from where we were standing and started their show. Ed excused himself so he could hear his phone and I unexpectedly found myself enjoying the entertainment from a great, uncrowded viewing spot! What luck; I hadn’t seen this show in about three years. And we had been in such a rush to get into the park that I had neglected to pick up a Times Guide when we first arrived, so I had no clue when the WS entertainment acts would be performing.

A crowd quickly gathered as a male and female performer each demonstrated their skills with the traditional Taiko drums. They did two numbers and then announced their third and final piece. Ed was still on his call. Then I remembered something! Miyuki, the candy artist, usually began her show just as Matsuriza ended theirs. I had never seen her before and of all the WS entertainment, this was one show that I definitely wanted to experience! I quickly found Ed and told him to meet me by Miyuki’s stall. He gave me a puzzled look. “Just look for a big crowd down in the courtyard,” I said, and I dashed off down the steep stairs.

The last vibrations of the Matsuriza drums were fading and the crowd was giving them their due appreciation as I worked my way over to the crowd that had already gathered by the candy artist’s stall. Miyuki was already there and was spinning sugar into the form of a giraffe! I didn’t need to be up front since I didn’t have the kids with me, and since I’m tall, I was able to get a great view even though I was a couple of rows back. I’m glad I came downstairs when I did, half the crowd from the drummers turned around and immediately walked over to see what was going on, effectively tripling the crowd. :crowded:

It was amazing to see her sculpt the candy; the giraffe was so detailed! It seemed particularly time-consuming to fashion the legs and tail; for some reason the candy was a bit brittle and Miyuki continued to work on the giraffe until she was satisfied. Next, a young girl asked for a pink hippo. The stout form was a much easier request, apparently, because the artist had that creation whipped out in just under a minute! One more request, this one for a dragon (I think), and the brief but fascinating show was done. As the crowd dispersed, I heard Ed calling me and we were soon reunited and back on our way around the promenade.

It was a lovely night; the air was still warm and we had no need of jackets. We stopped in Italy so Ed could get some cannoli from a cart, then again in Germany so I could window-shop. I went into the Christmas shop to look around a bit, and when I emerged, I found Ed coming out of the candy store with a bag of treats! One of them was a bag of gummy-like candy shaped like little bunches of cherries. I nibbled on these and Ed finished off the cannoli as we strolled through China, Norway, and Mexico, just people-watching. Two young women wearing Mickey medals were walking toward us carrying huge Margaritas; when they spied Ed’s Donald medal, they let out a loud whooping cheer and raised their glasses in his direction! :drinking1 I shot a look of feigned annoyance at Ed and then I almost fell over laughing!

Ed threw up his hands in protest. “I didn’t even look at them!” he insisted. Then he realized that we could hear them as they continued to stumble away from us, giving loud whoops every time they saw someone with a medal!

Some of us celebrate with cannoli and some of us with Margaritas, what can I say?!

party:

Next: Decisions, decisions! Pleasure Island or Jellyrolls?? Hmmmm….

Kathy

Milouser: 10yr old boys love a good laugh! (Of course, its usually fart jokes that do it for them!) Oh, and for Buzz....

MDF:...Just kidding!

Goofster: The perfect day leads to the perfect night!

AGPrincess: You asked for food....

Serendipidy: It's wonderful both ways, you'll see!

Marion: Ed teases me about the Dis all the time!

Pittypat: But sometimes having kids can make it twice as nice!

Thanks for reading;

Kathy

The food at Teppanyaki sounds really tasty! And so does the momo! (I loove fruity (non-alchoholic) drinks!) It sounds like you had a fun time in Japan despite your boring table-mates at Teppanyaki.

You are such a good writer. All of the details make me feel like I'm really there with you, speculating about the two brides or laughing about the margarita runners! :thumbsup2

Great update!

Thank you so much for posting your latest installment. I love it and can't wait to read more!!!

Goofster: The perfect day leads to the perfect night!

You are talking about your night at Epcot? Right? :goodvibes

On the second floor, at the top of a very long, very steep wooden staircase, was the entrance to the Teppanyaki Dining Room.

We have not tried this restaurant yet, we don’t really do Sea Food and Shivahn definitely doesn’t do vegetables so not sure if it would be worth the trip.

“You’ve got to be kidding!” Ed exclaimed as he surveyed the steep ascent. (His leg muscles were still tired from yesterday.)

BLING! BLING!

Our eyes were drawn to the sound of elevator doors opening nearby. A family with a wheelchair guest exited the elevator and I sheepishly looked over at Ed.

“Do you mean to tell me that I could have taken an ELEVATOR??” he demanded. Ooops. :blush: I had to admit that I forgot about the existence of the elevator inside the department store. “Heh-heh, sorry honey!” I answered guiltily.

:lmao: :rotfl2:
Sorry Ed, but this is hilarious,
When I first started reading this part I thought to myself good thing there’s an elevator, those stairs would be killers after running the marathon.

but I just couldn’t, I felt too guilty

That’s too bad, you should have been able to enjoy the last of your meal.

Ed began, but the ringing of his cell phone answered the question for me. It was a problem at work

Don’t you just hate that, I was on the deck of the USS Midway in San Diego on vacation and my phone rang and it was my work, finally 45 minutes later I got to get back to my vacation. :confused3

Suddenly, Matsuriza, the Japanese drum group, appeared at the pagoda

I love to stop and listen to this group, there was one group that tried to make a go of it at Downtown Disney here in Anaheim, but people just didn’t seem to be interested in it.

Kathy,
Sounds like a perfect evening, well except for the steep stairs. :rotfl:

BLING! BLING!

:lmao:

Kathy said:
Ed was having iced tea. Plain old Nestea iced tea. I tried to suggest that he live dangerously and at least try an iced green tea, but he wouldn’t have any of that.

I just discovered iced green tea this summer and I love it!!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful evening.

I'm hoping you chose Pleasure Island over the jellyrolls :rolleyes1

Wow you and your DH are seriously inspiring. I could never run while I was sick... (not that I run when I'm not sick:rotfl2: ) Very awesome! Congradulations to you both. I love the picture of your DH and Donald with his medal! Sound like you had a great time. Thanks for writting!

Sounds like a wonderful evening. There really is no place like the world showcase in the evening, it's so romantic. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed your meal. :goodvibes

Serendipity: You're the newlywed! If anyone knows about romance...

AlyssinWonderland: Welcome! Come on in!

blue river: Sorry to disappoint you, blue! :rolleyes1

Goofster: I think Ed could get you a good deal on some body armor, gently used! ;)

mrsksomeday: Hello again!

AGPrincess: Well, I'm no Jane Austen, but thanks!!

Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter