The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

So it is already 72 and we will see how high it goes today. Working on the motorcoach again today, getting new blu ray player installed in case it ever rains. I have the air filter to change also, see how my afternoon goes. Well quick lunch break over, time to get back to work.

Is your air filter a canister? That's the easy part.
First upgrade I did was get rid of the quartz halogen lights. Replaced everything in the coach with LED. Cut down on the electricity use, but the real plus was getting rid of the heat! Made the ACs way more efficient. You can hang meat in there now!
I had to replace the tuner/amplifier first as the original was circa 2006, no HDMI. Got rid of the broken DVD player/burner. Got rid of the VHS. Replaced with a Blu-Ray. This all started as the original flat screen was also circa 2006, but it had HDMI. It also stopped working. Anyway, replaced all the home theater stuff.
I don't have a satellite. The original hadn't worked before we bought it and we never used it.
Best of luck Chris, enjoy making it your own!

You can roll the rv/camper to a new location and roll the cable out and set up the dish to establish a new signal.

Just FYI, this capability isn't available from Starlink initially. As they are rolling it out, you're being assigned to a "cell" aka group of satellites for your particular location. They will eventually be releasing a portable service for campers and even an in-motion one but it isn't available yet. I got all excited because I saw the dish was on a tripod that you could fold up but after research discovered this will come later. I'm super excited.

PS, I'm considering the same thing Ed as my cable internet service here is horrible!

PS, I'm considering the same thing Ed as my cable internet service here is horrible!

At least you have cable internet! I got that old and useless DSL which is all the option available to me.

Local power company is in process of installing fiber optical but I'm likely a year or so away from that.

Thanks to Arc and PtP for sharing that the Starlink service is not mobile yet. I was not to that point yet.

I absolutely hate my cable company but my current provider's max internet speed for my home is still pretty lame. Even for fixed Starlink service, I could pay more and get higher speeds but then disconnecting Directv and paying for a streaming service, YTTV or Hulu+Live TV for example, nets out the savings from DTV. What have I essentially gained? Nada.

I watch live sports, local news, and practically NOTHING else. When I say "practically", I do get dragged into the room by DW so that we can watch "American Idol" together occasionally. :happytv: :sad2: It's a-g-o-n-y. But we're "together" :love2:.

It's possible I might still pull the trigger on SL with a stream this summer because although the cash expense might be a wash, I still end up with higher internet speeds at home when the tv is not turned on.

Ed

Is your air filter a canister? That's the easy part.
First upgrade I did was get rid of the quartz halogen lights. Replaced everything in the coach with LED. Cut down on the electricity use, but the real plus was getting rid of the heat! Made the ACs way more efficient. You can hang meat in there now!
I had to replace the tuner/amplifier first as the original was circa 2006, no HDMI. Got rid of the broken DVD player/burner. Got rid of the VHS. Replaced with a Blu-Ray. This all started as the original flat screen was also circa 2006, but it had HDMI. It also stopped working. Anyway, replaced all the home theater stuff.
I don't have a satellite. The original hadn't worked before we bought it and we never used it.
Best of luck Chris, enjoy making it your own!

Don,
Yes the air filter a canister. The 3 main lights down the center are flourescent, but DW said at 100 per replacement they can wait. I would like to replace the crank up antenna at some point with one of the King brand wedges, we had on the fiver. We don't have satellite either, was original equipment, apparently last owner or whomever made off with it. But we would not use it much so no loss.
And of course we replaced the air filter for the AC...
159952519_4040346835986935_2507312213734806811_n.jpg

IT was a tad full....

Thanks to Arc and PtP for sharing that the Starlink service is not mobile yet.
Sorry to P2P for posting the same info. Their post was right under an ad in the boards so I didn't see it.

Just got word back on my camper repairs, $1,252 for them to just fully reseal the main slide so hopefully that will resolve all the leaks. Added on another $880 for them to go ahead and put a slide topper over it while it was there. Will pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Sometimes the work is worth it. RV wise I don't think I have much in repair costs and shouldn't at one year old. We just have the recall and I think I just just short circuited my dealership by going direct to Grand Design. The dealer wanted me to tow the unit down and wait with it for the day so they could inspect and determine if I need the recall. Then they would order the parts and make an appointment for me to tow 100 miles again and wait all day for the work to be done I went to GD, sent 6 pictures and they said yep you need the recall. So saved a day and 200 miles, but the dealer pushed back. So I called GD told them what the dealership said to me and they approved for me to have a local shop do the work if the dealer won't play nice.

The truck is at least home and good to go. So really I just need to start preparing the RV for the first race weekend so I can use it.

So I am out for my early morning walk one day this past week on a crisp cool morning as the sun is coming up in Titletown and notice some new construction on the grassy corner of Alabama's football stadium nearest "The Strip" (bars, restaurants, souvenirs area). Actually the grassy area between the stadium and University Blvd is actually three lots that used to have large square two story frat houses on them but they had newer houses built elsewhere on campus and UA removed the old houses leaving a nice grassy flat place.

Anyway, here is the construction behind a fence. Some gravel which would appear to be a bed for a paved sidewalk to come.

20210308_100727.jpg

There was a man with a drawing in his hand watching the work and I asked him what was going to go on the corner. He replied, "an elephant statue". Naturally. An elephant statue with the House That Bryant and Saban Built as the backdrop.

20210308_100807.jpg

I wonder if it will be in place in time next month for the Spring Football (A-Day) game. Our governor has already stated she will let the current mask and social distancing mandate expire a week before the game so we could have a celebration of Nattie #18. And everyone can pose for a pic at the new elephant statue.

It will be glorious.

Elephant%20Surfing_zpsocboyb4s.gif

Bama Ed

With the starlink stuff i read it was stay in place only. But one of the pop up people got it anyway, if he updates with results ill let you know. They say it works well and is fast, but if its limited to an area will not be worth it for me.

With the starlink stuff i read it was stay in place only. But one of the pop up people got it anyway, if he updates with results ill let you know. They say it works well and is fast, but if its limited to an area will not be worth it for me.

I saw a news article that Starlink put in a request to FCC, or whatever alphabet soup agency, for mobile antennas for RV and boat applications.

Sounds like mobile Starlink is coming, just not tomorrow.

Edit: found the story again https://rvmiles.com/spacex-seeks-government-approval-for-starlink-internet-on-rv-aircraft-and-boats/

Well today found me changing out the foglights on my 2003 jeep liberty. They had yellowed badly and I had gotten replacements, so crawled under and changed them, not a hard task at all. Found out my tires have been wearing uneven and need to be replaced a lot soon then we thought. bummer. Hoped to get the summer out of them, but alas, not. Also worked on the motorcoach some more on the inside. Should be ready to start loading in the spices, canned goods kind of thing in the upcoming weeks. Yesterday we topped out about 77 degrees for a high, they are talking about snow being possible on Monday...good ole PA in the spring.

Your a better man then me, i see a little cold weather coming still, so im waiting. I did put together the new wash and wax system while it was warm out. Go a sort of free electric power washer, a foam cannon and some foam wax stuff. Will use it next week. I still need to remove a tire to make sure i order the corect breaks. Good news, i saw no evidence of mice, or bugs on the camper and no leaks from the snow i never cleared. I think if i had a new toy, i would be tinkering also. Have fun with it, there only new to you for the first month!

I saw a news article that Starlink put in a request to FCC, or whatever alphabet soup agency, for mobile antennas for RV and boat applications.

Sounds like mobile Starlink is coming, just not tomorrow.

Edit: found the story again https://rvmiles.com/spacex-seeks-government-approval-for-starlink-internet-on-rv-aircraft-and-boats/

One point of clarification after reading the link and reviewing some recent YT videos. These filings seem to apply to when people want Starlink internet while in motion. Flying in a plane, sailing on a boat, driving down the road in your Tesla or rv.

That takes some more sophisticated motion gear for the dish similar to what we saw with satellite tv. But the link says the basic 18inch dish will be the same even in those circumstances. What we/I want is fixed service that is not tied to only one single address. Set it up while camping in Gulf Shores, check. Move on and set it up while camping at Fort Wilderness, check. Move on and set it up while camping in the Keys, check (assuming clear view of the sky in all these cases, of course).

That probably takes more satellites then a software change to allow a change of service address. They are planning two more launches of 60 sats each this month from Florida as fyi.

Bama Ed

PS - the satellite tv services like Directv provided your local channels down a service "cone" or area wide enough to match the local tv channel service area (middle Alabama in my case). But when I went to Gulf Shores I could not pick up my local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX channels (but might use a digital tv antenna to try to pick up the Mobile/Pensacola locals). So if you can change your Starlink service address (which uses the cone/pod concept currently but only a few miles wide) then it might work. I would haul around an 18inch dish if this would work via change of service address.

Lol, you would haul around a 48 inch disk. Your camper would be holding a javelin! Just to get the alabama games..........

One point of clarification after reading the link and reviewing some recent YT videos. These filings seem to apply to when people want Starlink internet while in motion. Flying in a plane, sailing on a boat, driving down the road in your Tesla or rv.

That takes some more sophisticated motion gear for the dish similar to what we saw with satellite tv. But the link says the basic 18inch dish will be the same even in those circumstances. What we/I want is fixed service that is not tied to only one single address. Set it up while camping in Gulf Shores, check. Move on and set it up while camping at Fort Wilderness, check. Move on and set it up while camping in the Keys, check (assuming clear view of the sky in all these cases, of course).

Ah, so we're not waiting for that stuff to happen. We're waiting for the constellation to get set up and the Starlink infrastructure to establish before they'd allow it to be mobile.

I can wait...impatiently
giphy-downsized.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!