The DIS Fit: 2019 thread. Join us in the New Hopes and Goals thread.

So glad so many of you are keeping up with your programs and checking in here to keep us motivated.

I walked the dog this morning -28C and snowing. The snowplow won't show up for hours so I got to trudge through the snow that was on the ground as well. It's like walking on a soft sandy beach but deeper. That's got to count for a workout and a half.

We turned one direction and the snow was coming right at me. That's when the dogs sled dog instinct takes over and she becomes lead sled dog taking me home. I tilt my head down and cant see more than 4 feet in front of me. She puts her ears back, squints her eyes and finds the tire rut in the road that only she can see to make the walking easier. Good thing I live in a really sleepy neighbourhood where no one else ventures out on a day such as this.

Last edited:
@ottawamom I am trying very hard to cut his xbox time. It is so hard! he plays with his friends online and it seems to be the only thing he wants to do. If he isn't able to play he just wants to watch other people plan on Youtube or twitch. His dream job is to be a "streamer" who plays games while others watch. I am hoping he will grow out of it. Totally hate that he is so addicted already. He gets very mad when I cut his time. He has had the Xbox for just over a year, and only been allowed to play online since summer. I do wish I had waited longer. As for the budgeting, he is so persistent! I admit I have bought him everything he wants pretty much up to now so this is a hard thing for him. But I am hoping it will help, and he will be better prepared when he's an adult. He has changed his mind on the game now, he wants to get a computer to play his games on instead of the xbox. We have an older laptop that needs some work on the power port and battery, I was told it would be about $200 so that is 10 months of saving... I can't imagine he'll make it! But we'll see. He still wants everything. I told him to make a list and prioritize it, I would help him. He said he wants too many things. Any way! Parenting is "fun" and between the video games, the school phone calls and all of it... I think I need a vacation!

But since I can't go away this winter, I will just use my workouts to get rid of some of the stress! I won't be walking outside today though, my poor puppy would get lost in the snow :) He is black so I guess I'd spot him but I think I have to shovel off the back deck later as it's above his belly, and of course the driveway. Hoping the plow goes around at some point and I'll do it after that, or I'll get out later this afternoon if it lets up or slows down and work on it then.

Good Morning/ Afternoon--I got up at 6 am but went back at 10 am for a nap--My mom used to say if you sleep your body probably is telling you you need it.
Today I am going to work around the house to make up for staying indoors and not walking.
It is just tooooooo cold out there for me.I will at some point head out and shovel a bit.
I am hoping the roads get cleared soon as I'd like to pick up a couple of things at the grocery store.
My youngest son is flying into Toronto from London (England ) today,,hope the airport is cleaned up.
Stay warm everyone.
Hugs
Mel

@ottawamom I am trying very hard to cut his xbox time. It is so hard! he plays with his friends online and it seems to be the only thing he wants to do. If he isn't able to play he just wants to watch other people plan on Youtube or twitch. His dream job is to be a "streamer" who plays games while others watch. I am hoping he will grow out of it. Totally hate that he is so addicted already. He gets very mad when I cut his time. He has had the Xbox for just over a year, and only been allowed to play online since summer. I do wish I had waited longer. As for the budgeting, he is so persistent! I admit I have bought him everything he wants pretty much up to now so this is a hard thing for him. But I am hoping it will help, and he will be better prepared when he's an adult. He has changed his mind on the game now, he wants to get a computer to play his games on instead of the xbox. We have an older laptop that needs some work on the power port and battery, I was told it would be about $200 so that is 10 months of saving... I can't imagine he'll make it! But we'll see. He still wants everything. I told him to make a list and prioritize it, I would help him. He said he wants too many things. Any way! Parenting is "fun" and between the video games, the school phone calls and all of it... I think I need a vacation!

But since I can't go away this winter, I will just use my workouts to get rid of some of the stress! I won't be walking outside today though, my poor puppy would get lost in the snow :) He is black so I guess I'd spot him but I think I have to shovel off the back deck later as it's above his belly, and of course the driveway. Hoping the plow goes around at some point and I'll do it after that, or I'll get out later this afternoon if it lets up or slows down and work on it then.

Keep at it with your son, you'll get to a happy compromise. I, like you, wish computers were never invented some days.

On the dog front, DH cuts a trail through the snow in our yard for the dog. Did I mention she's a princess! Ok she's old but she can jump through the snow.

Hi Hon
Things are so different from when we were young.
I have---- oldest son--computer programmer,,middle son ----Computer Analyst,,youngest son is working but I am not sure how to describe what he does or his title,,writes policy for financial companies around the world.
All three are addicted in my opinion to online gaming.(PUBG) You should have seen our house when they were younger and had to share one computer--it was mayhem......
I finally set a 2 hour timer and when it went off if you didn't give up the computer you lost your next 2 hour time period.
Just a word of warning the laptop maybe be unable to support current games he is interested in playing--technology ages so fast.
I would have it looked at first and then strike a deal with him.
I used lots if "I" statements with my guys.
I know you are frustrated,I know and I am listening,I am trying to understand,I hear what you are saying.
I know you can do it.
I had to practise *STOPING myself and saying I need time to think about what they were asking for. (No off the cuff yes or no's)
I started this **Say what you mean and mean what you say.**--this drove them nuts.....lol,,got to the point where they would say"don't answer right away mom,, just think about it mom".
You are doing an awesome job Hon,,just keep believing in yourself..
Hugs to you
Mel

It's Sunday afternoon, which means we're at the end of the first week of our challenge! I don't know if this is of interest to anyone else, but I'm going to try and post weekly reviews to celebrate successes and to hold myself accountable. I'm also the kind of person who would let a bad few days convince me to give up, so maybe a weekly review will mean a good chance to put a period after a bad few days and start the next sentence strong again? Join in if you want, and make it your own if there are other details you want to include, but no pressure at all!

Activity: We had some cold days this week, but I either left the kiddo with my wife or we went indoors (the mall...) to walk around each day. Warm days, we walked as a family.
Distance: According to my app I play while walking, this week I've managed 66 km!
Steps: 64 498
Calories burned: 3974

Nutrition: I'm not following any kind of a diet, but I'm trying to be a bit more mindful about what I eat. I'm trying to eat things I want to eat rather than eating simply by convenience.
Food highlights: homemade miso soup (with enoki mushrooms and napa cabbage), mayo-free tuna salad (I *hate* mayo), and the best grilled cheese sandwich ever (sharp cheddar on sourdough bread)

Goals for next week:
Activity: I think I did a good job last week. I want to walk daily again this week, and hopefully have comparable distance/steps/calories burned (I think aiming any higher would be a bit too challenging for me at this point)
Nutrition: Keep cooking foods I want! I'm pretty sure I'll make a hot and sour soup, but I'm not sure yet what other recipes I'll use. I also have one of those milestone birthdays coming up next week, so I think I'll have my fair share of delicious treats.

Thanks for the ideas and support. His game of choice at the moment is Fortnite... he wants to be able to play on PC because it's "better" and apparently easier to win. And also then he can have other windows open to stream and such. Of course he also wants a camera which I have said NO to. He is just really mad that I won't just buy him a computer and he has to "earn" it, it'll take until June!! Heavens! Any way. I really hope he will learn something from this, patience being a big part of it. He was pretty mad at me today. And he didn't understand why I got mad when he came down to where I was working out to interrupt so I would turn the internet back on for him, instead of waiting until my workout was done! I am tired from the shoveling, boy there was a lot of snow! And the BIG plow pile at the end. At least it wasn't too heavy. I did that and then a 2 mile walk which was nice.

My goals for the coming week are to meet my WW points for food, and earn the points I set as goals for working out. I don't weigh in until tomorrow and am debating if I want to wait until a few weeks to check. I did ok this week, workout wise at least, which is the point! Eating I was more mindful and may have cheated my points a bit :) But it did make me more conscious of what I am eating. I will do better. Lunch is already made for tomorrow, breakfast and dinner planned, ready to go!

My goals for the coming week are to meet my WW points for food, and earn the points I set as goals for working out. I don't weigh in until tomorrow and am debating if I want to wait until a few weeks to check. I did ok this week, workout wise at least, which is the point! Eating I was more mindful and may have cheated my points a bit :) But it did make me more conscious of what I am eating. I will do better. Lunch is already made for tomorrow, breakfast and dinner planned, ready to go!

good job! planning is a huge obstacle for me too. i’ve been trying to research new recipes to try and make the planning exciting. mixed in with old favorites, of course.

Hot and sour soup? Is it time consuming sounds lovely

60165871, member: 520688"]It's Sunday afternoon, which means we're at the end of the first week of our challenge! I don't know if this is of interest to anyone else, but I'm going to try and post weekly reviews to celebrate successes and to hold myself accountable. I'm also the kind of person who would let a bad few days convince me to give up, so maybe a weekly review will mean a good chance to put a period after a bad few days and start the next sentence strong again? Join in if you want, and make it your own if there are other details you want to include, but no pressure at all!

Activity: We had some cold days this week, but I either left the kiddo with my wife or we went indoors (the mall...) to walk around each day. Warm days, we walked as a family.
Distance: According to my app I play while walking, this week I've managed 66 km!
Steps: 64 498
Calories burned: 3974

Nutrition: I'm not following any kind of a diet, but I'm trying to be a bit more mindful about what I eat. I'm trying to eat things I want to eat rather than eating simply by convenience.
Food highlights: homemade miso soup (with enoki mushrooms and napa cabbage), mayo-free tuna salad (I *hate* mayo), and the best grilled cheese sandwich ever (sharp cheddar on sourdough bread)

Goals for next week:
Activity: I think I did a good job last week. I want to walk daily again this week, and hopefully have comparable distance/steps/calories burned (I think aiming any higher would be a bit too challenging for me at this point)
Nutrition: Keep cooking foods I want! I'm pretty sure I'll make a hot and sour soup, but I'm not sure yet what other recipes I'll use. I also have one of those milestone birthdays coming up next week, so I think I'll have my fair share of delicious treats.[/QUOTE]

So nice to see everyone chugging along !
My eating has been good and preplanning all my meals is working really well for me. It takes all of the impulse out of eating and that is big for me. Tomorrow is fish tacos. A new recipe for us. I hope we like it. I really enjoy the format and structure of weight watchers. I do get annoyed with having to log everything , but it’s essential. Once I stop logging I’m not being accountable and it slides downhill from there . So as soon as I finish this post, I will be logging my meals for tomorrow.
I drink two large glasses of water before each meal as well. It serves two purposes.. keeping me hydrated and making sure I’m not overeating when I’m actually thirsty. It’s working well for me.
This week I have to work on my fitness. I can’t get out and walk in this cold though. My dogs ( Labrador retrievers) don’t even want to be in it. It’s too cold on their paws . They are running out to do their business and running back in. So I have to find something to do in the house this week. Not sure what though.

I like the reminder about the water. I'll have to try drinking a glass before each meal this week. I'm definitely doing the baby steps method of changing my habits. I have walked each day. Haven't eaten any take-out, have cut back on the portions I have been eating. Cut back on my on my Coca cola habit. Like I said baby steps.:tiptoe:

Hot and sour soup? Is it time consuming sounds lovely

It's one of my favourite soups to eat, but I've never made it before! One of the best bowls I ever had was at the Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom, actually. I still dream about that soup, but it wasn't on the menu anymore when we visited last month.

Here's the recipe I picked: Hot and Sour Soup . For me, the most time consuming part so far has been picking up ingredients I don't usually have around like dried mushrooms. I'll report back though, once I give it a try.

So nice to see everyone chugging along !
My eating has been good and preplanning all my meals is working really well for me. It takes all of the impulse out of eating and that is big for me. Tomorrow is fish tacos. A new recipe for us. I hope we like it. I really enjoy the format and structure of weight watchers. I do get annoyed with having to log everything , but it’s essential. Once I stop logging I’m not being accountable and it slides downhill from there . So as soon as I finish this post, I will be logging my meals for tomorrow.
I drink two large glasses of water before each meal as well. It serves two purposes.. keeping me hydrated and making sure I’m not overeating when I’m actually thirsty. It’s working well for me.
This week I have to work on my fitness. I can’t get out and walk in this cold though. My dogs ( Labrador retrievers) don’t even want to be in it. It’s too cold on their paws . They are running out to do their business and running back in. So I have to find something to do in the house this week. Not sure what though.

Fish tacos sound delicious! What kind of fish are you using? I'd love your recipe/a review once you make it, if you are up to sharing :)

I like the reminder about the water. I'll have to try drinking a glass before each meal this week. I'm definitely doing the baby steps method of changing my habits. I have walked each day. Haven't eaten any take-out, have cut back on the portions I have been eating. Cut back on my on my Coca cola habit. Like I said baby steps.:tiptoe:

Baby steps are definitely worth celebrating! Plus, a whole lot of baby steps all over the place add up to a really big step. And small, manageable changes are definitely the most sustainable in the long term.

I am not great about water. My running joke is that there's water in my coffee...apparently that doesn't count...

Fish tacos sound delicious! What kind of fish are you using? I'd love your recipe/a review once you make it, if you are up to sharing :)

Baby steps are definitely worth celebrating! Plus, a whole lot of baby steps all over the place add up to a really big step. And small, manageable changes are definitely the most sustainable in the long term.

I am not great about water. My running joke is that there's water in my coffee...apparently that doesn't count...
Sure I will put the recipe in here for you if it’s not an epic disaster. :rotfl:
I think we will use Tilapia but the recipe says you can use whatever your favourite white fish is.

Last edited:
It's one of my favourite soups to eat, but I've never made it before! One of the best bowls I ever had was at the Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom, actually. I still dream about that soup, but it wasn't on the menu anymore when we visited last month.

Here's the recipe I picked: Hot and Sour Soup . For me, the most time consuming part so far has been picking up ingredients I don't usually have around like dried mushrooms. I'll report back though, once I give it a try.

I've included your recipe find in post #3. The new recipes links section of the thread. It looks yummy. Let us know how it works out.

Well I totally over slept and didn't workout. But when I tried to get to work the weather was pretty nasty and the roads were horrible so I came home instead of going to work... I will do a workout later. And possibly watch some Grace and Frankie :)

DH decided to work from home today rather than venture out on the roads. As it's below -35C with the windchill I don't walk outside. It's an arbitrary # but one I won't cross anymore. My little princess (dog) wasn't upset I wasn't going to make her go out for a walk yet. If it warms up I may go out later in the day.

Well I totally over slept and didn't workout. But when I tried to get to work the weather was pretty nasty and the roads were horrible so I came home instead of going to work... I will do a workout later. And possibly watch some Grace and Frankie :)

DH decided to work from home today rather than venture out on the roads. As it's below -35C with the windchill I don't walk outside. It's an arbitrary # but one I won't cross anymore. My little princess (dog) wasn't upset I wasn't going to make her go out for a walk yet. If it warms up I may go out later in the day.

Yup don't go outside unless you have to. I am lucky I am retired so can stay home in the warmth. Currently on hold with CAA for 1.5 hours - dead battery so good thing we have spare vehicle for my nephew to use to get to work. It is really cold outside so no walk outside for me today either. I did pop out to get the licence plate number and the cold really does take your breath away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter