The Caprias hit the World - HARD!!! UPDATE 4/21 TRIP REPORT LINK ADDED pg 7!

Ahh... Disney food. The mere mention of it can send me into a stomach-growling mess. Hold on to your Mickey ears, kids.

Your Food-Addicted Cast

I am a bit of a food addict. A FOODIE.

My addiction is fed WELL by the incredible eating establishments of the greatest city in the world, New York City. If you ever need a good place to eat in THE city, ask moi. I will give you a 97-page, detailed, laminated and organized by cuisine, then alphabetically, then by YUM-to-ICK-factor.

Lately though... I haven't been going out to eat. Like, ever. And I've changed. I'm healthier. I lost 22 pounds. I have to keep the weight down because of my grand career choice. I'm actually kind of nervous about this trip because I refuse to go to WDW and eat salads and grilled chicken the entire time. Of course I also WANT to be healthy. How I was eating before was the fast track to shaving years off your life. I knew that. I'm happy to be healthier. My mom has also been on a diet and is doing REALLY great. I'm proud of her. And myself. But it's been HARD. To say no to eating the things we really love. We've done well. But we're foaming at the mouth. And it's time for a vacation.

Needless to say.......... WE ARE EXCITED TO EAT.

I really can not stress how true this is. No, we're not going to be stopping every chance we get to stuff our faces. But, we do have some fantastic ADRs that have NOTHING to do with salad. In any way. And we have our favorite CS places and Disney snacks. We'll be indulging. Pounds will be gained. I will be laughed out of any audition I go on after this trip. But I'll get back on the Miss Healthybutt wagon quicker than you can say DOLE WHIP.

Which I've never even tried. BTW. But I plan on eating one. For Bob. (DIS Unplugged Podcast reference!!!!).

Past Food Experiences at WDW

I've been to Walt Disney World seven times, and the first five trips were completely ADR-free.

We never even thought of making reservations. My parents are not over-planners. In ANY way. To them a vacation is actually a vacation. During which you do things at your leisure.

As a kid, I was so excited to BE at Disney World that I totally forgot food was even a thing, and that you had to eat it to live. There would come a moment every day where my parents would be practically dead from chasing me around the parks all day without stopping. They'd drag me into whatever restaurant was around and we would eat.

During this time, I remember going to Tony's Town Square, Crystal Palace, The Plaza, Hollywood and Vine, 50's Prime Time Cafe... and that's all I can recall. I remember loving them.

I know many, many people on these boards hate Hollywood and Vine. It used to be so freaking good. The characters used to be the same as at Chef Mickey's. In the middle of the meal, Mickey and Minnie did a really cute little skit with a music track. I remember LOVING. IT. So much. But also, we wandered in there around 11:30 and so we got the breakfast AND lunch buffets. At the same time. So that may have been the reason for my euphoria.

As I've mentioned before, once I got a little older, I discovered the big, bright, beautiful DIS!!!!!! And all you lovely people helped me learn more things about Disney than I had ever imagined.

One aspect was the restaurants. I knew Disney had cool places to eat, but not to the extent I do now. I had never heard of SO many of these places, and they sounded so amazing! I never would have thought of going to another Disney resort just to explore and eat at a cool place.

For our 2006 trip, I booked ADRs. We ate at California Grill, Beaches & Cream, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Kona Cafe, 1900 Park Fare, Gulliver's Grill (an AMAZING place in the Swolphin that I am so mad is gone), Chef Mickey's, and Boma.

We also had ADRs for Donald's Breakfastasauras, Le Cellier, and Ohana. I'm really mad we didn't make it to the last two because obviously I could not get an ADR at either of them this time and REALLY want to try them.

Out of those restaurants, California Grill was the best. Actually, we ended up eating there a second time once my aunt joined us... but you all know how that went. Heh.

131994671_62d5c7eedd.jpg

Sigh. Probably the best meal i've ever had at Disney World. Oak-fired Beef Filet with Potato and Gorgonzola Pave, and Blue Lake beans. I've heard they make it differently now which is a shame. I'm sure it's still wonderful though.

They also brought me this:
131999005_0dee7a7846.jpg

DELICIOUS. We have my birthday noted on every single ADR for this trip. I'm excited to see which places provide free Birthday deliciousness!

I am dying to go back there. I really want to try their flatbreads, and I want to get back on that glorious balcony and see the Magic Kingdom from up high.

131999007_86d5be9150.jpg

This is what Gulliver's Grill used to look like. I don't know what is now. Maybe Il Mulino? I haven't been over there. This was a hidden gem. I booked it because it was the only restaurant that had Timon and Rafiki visit your table during the meal, and strangely, only them. I thought that was so cool, and I wish Disney would sprinkle some more random characters throughout their restaurants. The place was not full and since there were only two of them, Timon and Rafiki lingered awhile and it was just great. The food was also so delicious. You could choose between the buffet, which was predominantly seafood, or ordering from the menu. My mom did the buffet and I got a filet off the menu. Delicous. I would so go back there in a minute if it was still around.

128225695_7ef1f2698f.jpg

Mickey Mouse sundae at B&C. I love this place.

131999003_f6d314ad2d.jpg

It's adorable inside there. The theming is my favorite, and I wish I could go with a huge group of people and get the Kitchen Sink.

131999002_53aa038f9b.jpg

I had really wanted to experience Chef Mickey's, but heard the dinner was awful (still hearing that to this day) so we did the breakfast which was AWESOME. I suggest, strongly, going for a late breakfast ADR. It empties out in there and the characters linger and linger.

131997222_93d2e662f9.jpg

Birthday cupcake and placemat from Chef Mick's. This is the only restaurant I had that gave me anything besides a dessert for my birthday, with the exception of 1900 Park Fare, which also have me a Happy Birthday tiara. I rocked it for the rest of the trip, obviously.

132000614_be6eeb0ce3.jpg

Heart attack surprise at Boma. I LOVE BOMA. The main reason is smack dab in the center on the top. FRUNCH JUICE. Most delicious thing I have ever tasted. I am obsessed with it. I miss it. I have emotional feelings toward this juice. I want to kneel under a keg of this juice and just let it flow down my throat. I feel the same way about the Cheddar Cheese Soup from the F&W Fest/Le Cellier.

I don't have many photos from the rest. But I will say that after entering the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre, I absolutely fell in LOVE. With it. Another Disney obsession of mine was born as soon as I sat my butt down in one of those super-cool cars and looked up at the starry sky-ish. I will never return to WDW without visiting Sci-Fi. I know a bunch of people who think the food's not great. I have no idea what they're talking about because I absolutely LOVE the food, and also: they (and Beaches&Cream) have the BEST. MILKSHAKES. YOU WILL GET ANYWHERE, ever in your ENTIRE LIFE. Trust me. I no longer drink milkshakes outside of WDW b/c the Sci-Fi milkshakes have ruined all other milkshakes for me. Nothing is as good.

We LOVED 1900 Park Fare and got these desserts pre-ordered:

131997226_6fa7a52cae.jpg

Cinderella Slipper

131994407_a1c9513601.jpg

Mini wedding cake. Talk about YUM. This is actually the best cake I've ever tasted. The A in my name is messed up because it said Happy Birthday LISA. My mom kindly fixed it. Not that I noticed in between my moans of pleasure upon eating this.

What haven't I raved about? Oh, we did Kona breakfast. DIDN'T EVEN TRY the Tonga Toast. I know, ridiculous. But we LOVED it there. I actually find that WDW breakfast tastes the same all around no matter where you go, so I try not too book too many TS breakfasts. However, I think the Kona Cafe is a step up. We ate breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe too. Not as good as Kona but we LOVED the craziness of the place and our waitress who had a scratchy southern accent and was fake-rude on purpose. She nailed it.

It was an incredible trip, food-wise. Actually, everything-wise. It was just perfect.

My next trip, and the last I went on, was 2008. I still need to tell THAT story. Well, maybe. I haven't decided yet. But as far as food goes? I spent the majority of my time eating my weight at the Epcot Food & Wine Festival. That and Mickey rice crispie treats which are so good I think they're just handmade by Jesus himself. I did make two ADRs: a dinner at Sci-Fi and breakfast at Boma, both were spectacular and just as I had remembered.

It should be noted, also, that I fell in LOVE with Wolfgang Puck Express on this trip. I went in there on a whim on my last day. I barely had any time but I was starving. Ordered a pizza and a side of mac & cheese. I have no idea why I ordered all that, I knew I would only have a slice or two of the pizza (I did, and brought the rest home on the plane). IT WAS HEAVEN. I was convinced you couldn't get pizza this delicious outside of New York/New Jersey. I was wrong. The delicious pizza is housed at Wolfgang Puck's. Don't even get me started on the mac & cheese. It was gourmet style, and I could have eaten ten more dishes of it.

What We're Eating On This Trip

In a matter of days... DAYS!!!!! We'll be enjoying Disney food OUT THE WAZOO. New York people rarely use that expression so you know that I mean business.

Our ADRs are a mix of old favorites with some new places I really want to try. There are a couple places we've been to for breakfast, but really want to try their dinners. We also have, for the most part, what CS places we want to hit. Those include Wolfgang Puck Express (OBVIOUSLY), Beaches & Cream (probably just for dessert), Columbia Harbour House (love the chicken & fish basket here), Main Street Bakery (no explanation needed), Starring Rolls Bakery, and Boulangerie Patisserie. Yeah, we miss eating baked goods. SO sue us. For the most part, breakfast will be eaten at our resort(s) and we will just wing most CS meals.

Since I've always wanted the places we go to be a surprise to my readers as much as it will be for my mom (refer to post 1!), I won't reveal our ADRs. But I will give some HINTS! Also, I still am not happy with the ones I have and I have added, deleted, and switched these a million times. So it will probably end up being different. But here we go!

The numbers game for our table service meals:

TOTAL OF:
4 Dinners
2 Lunches
2 Breakfasts

OUT OF THESE:
4 are Buffets
5 of these meals are new to us, the rest are favorites
1 at the Grand Floridian (my birthday cake was ordered for this meal)
1 at the Polynesian
2 at the Animal Kingdom Lodge
1 in Epcot's World Showcase
2 in the Magic Kingdom
1 in Animal Kindgom
1 at Downtown Disney
2 at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Whew.

Looking at these ADRs... I find I have a problem with a lot of them. First of all, this is going to cost a lot. Thank God for the $500 gift card which will be how we pay for most of this. I also feel like FOUR buffets is too much. Our stomachs have shrank, and I don't know that at this point... I can really get the value of a buffet without feeling like I'm gonna hurl. But I want to try these places so bad! I also want to eat more in the World Showcase than we are, most of the places I don't want to try (I'll explain more during the report) and I'll probably have to flash a CM or two in order to get us into Le Cellier. I want my beloved Cheddar Cheese Soup! Also, what if some of these places suck? Should we just stick with more old favorites? But no, I want to try new things!

And so on.

Does it REALLY matter?! No.

Could we have ZERO ADRs and still have the most AMAZING trip?! YES.

So who cares? Really. In the long run.

(I do)

But seriously. It's Disney World. And we are going. Together. In a matter of DAYS.

I'm not going to stress about our plans. It's all good at Disney.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, Sis and I LOVE planning our ADR's! Seriously, that's half the fun for our trips is eating!

Can't wait for the hints to begin! :surfweb:

Oh my gosh, Sis and I LOVE planning our ADR's! Seriously, that's half the fun for our trips is eating!

Can't wait for the hints to begin! :surfweb:

Oh, I certainly agree with you on that. Eating is fun. LOL. I also just love the experience of trying new restaurants and food at WDW.

Btw, those WERE all the hints! :lmao: As far as food goes, anyway. I'm not filling you guys in until we actually go and the TR begins!

Lia...you sure know how to build the suspense! :lmao:
First, I LOVE all the food pictures from your past stays. They all just made my mouth water in anticipation of our trip next month!! :woohoo: Mmmmmmm!!

We are not really buffet people except for b-fast, hubby has this thing against buffets. :confused3 And, yes...the over-full feeling is almost inevitable at a buffet!

We were making ADR's two months out due the timing of the wish granting and such, and didn't get some of the ADR's we wanted. Le Cellier and Les Chefs de France both seemed to be completely full. I'm still hoping to walk in and get something at one of those two. we'll see. :rolleyes1

Anyway, single digits, huh? YIPPEE!! :cool1:

I absolutely love hearing about all the food! The majority of my planning has been food-centered. I also have lost about 20-25 pounds by cutting out some of my overindulgence, but I still plan on eating whatever I want while we're on vacation! popcorn:: I mean, with all of that walking, we can't gain too much...right???? :rolleyes1

YES! I am so glad I have a 30 Rock fan reading this report LOL. It's my favorite show currently on TV. Which is saying a lot b/c I keep up with entirely too many TV shows. Anyway, the calendar is available on Amazon, but I got mine at Borders.v
I know what you mean...I am a total TV junkie. It's so bad. But yes, 30 Rock is amazing. I love it because it never fails to make me laugh. Well, that and the fact that I sympathize with Liz Lemon. We have way to much in common personality-wise. :laughing:

That and Mickey rice crispie treats which are so good I think they're just handmade by Jesus himself.
Oh. My. God. I completely agree. Those things are like crack. I can't stop eating them. About a month ago, my sister went to WDW with her HS Choir and I made her bring me back one. Even though it was squished and kind of melted from being in her luggage (despite my texts explaining EXACTLY how to transport it home...she is a failure at packing) it was still the most glorious ray of sunshine in my Mickey rice krispy treat-less life. If I ever get started on a PTR/TR for my upcoming trip, it will definitely include an ode to the Mickey Rice Krispy Treat.

Also, I hope you get to eat at 'Ohana sometime. It is my absolute favorite restaurant in the World. Everything is soooooo yummy. Plus, the atmosphere is super relaxing. I could honestly sit there for days and just ask the waiter to keep bringing me more food. Oh and strawberry daquiris - sans alcohol since I'm not old enough to drink...but still delicious. :thumbsup2

I'm trying Le Cellier for the first time in July. :woohoo: I have heard that the Cheddar Cheese soup is epic, so I am hoping I won't be let down. Though, I love cheese of any kind, so I'm sure I will love it. I also really want to try the Chocolate Moose dessert. I am a sucker for food that is shaped like something (See my above ravings about the Mickey rice krispy treat :) )

I know what you mean...I am a total TV junkie. It's so bad. But yes, 30 Rock is amazing. I love it because it never fails to make me laugh. Well, that and the fact that I sympathize with Liz Lemon. We have way to much in common personality-wise. :laughing:

Oh my God... I AM Liz Lemon, except blonde. Like, sometimes she says stuff on that show that I swear I have said. It kills me. Tina Fey really is so funny in a very specific way that just hits a nerve with me. I love her!!

Oh. My. God. I completely agree. Those things are like crack. I can't stop eating them. About a month ago, my sister went to WDW with her HS Choir and I made her bring me back one. Even though it was squished and kind of melted from being in her luggage (despite my texts explaining EXACTLY how to transport it home...she is a failure at packing) it was still the most glorious ray of sunshine in my Mickey rice krispy treat-less life. If I ever get started on a PTR/TR for my upcoming trip, it will definitely include an ode to the Mickey Rice Krispy Treat.

HAHAHA oh man. I am looking forward to your ode to Mickey Rice Krispy treats very much!! Now you must do a PTR. And on my last trip, I brought one of them home and I almost didn't want to eat it cause it meant that Disney was truly OVER!

I'm trying Le Cellier for the first time in July. :woohoo: I have heard that the Cheddar Cheese soup is epic, so I am hoping I won't be let down. Though, I love cheese of any kind, so I'm sure I will love it. I also really want to try the Chocolate Moose dessert. I am a sucker for food that is shaped like something (See my above ravings about the Mickey rice krispy treat :)

Sooo jealous of your Le Cellier ADR!! I'm still not giving up though! You will love, live, and die for the Cheddar Cheese soup!!!

Wow.

WOW!!!

Had to use big, colored font because I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! party:party:party:

Last night was one of the most fun, crazy nights of my life!! I went to my favorite restaurant, a movie premiere, and party and brought two of my closest friends. They had the whole party celebrating my birthday with me right when it turned midnight!! It was amazing!!!! Today I am celebrating with my family and then tomorrow I start FINAL PREPARATIONS FOR DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE LEAVING THIS WEEKEND.

I don't even know what to say. I am so overwhelmed and excited!!!!!!!! I wanted to write a coherent update that actually might have some trip information and interesting content but I am freaking out!! Hopefully I will be able to carve out sometime for that... also.... I need to re-do our ADRs... AGAIN :rolleyes1!!!!! Watch me change our whole schedule last minute! It wouldn't be the first time.

Thank you EVERYONE for reading and for your comments!!! I really appreciate it and I CAN NOT WAIT to share our trip with you!!!!! :wizard::wizard:

IT'S ALMOST TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday! pixiedust: Sounds like you had a great night!!

I can't believe you leave this weekend! How exciting. I'll be ready for your TR to start when you get home!

Haha, so you are thinking of re-doing your ADR's? I hope you get everything figured out since the weekend is almost here! :laughing:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!​

party::bday:party:

I didn't realize you leave this weekend! I hope you have a great trip. Can't wait to hear all the details (like where you stayed, what you ate) when you come home! :)

The food is one thing that I had absolutely no clue about before the DIS, just like you when you were younger. Growing up by Dland, I knew that they had that one restaurant that overlookd Pirates (BLue Bayou) but had no idea there was a whole culture of food addicts converging on WDW for their fix.

This weekend!!! Woohoooooooo!

And :bday:party::bday:party::bday:party:

Oh my God... I AM Liz Lemon, except blonde. Like, sometimes she says stuff on that show that I swear I have said. It kills me. Tina Fey really is so funny in a very specific way that just hits a nerve with me. I love her!!
I know what you mean. I'd been saying "Blerg" for years before I heard Liz Lemon say it on the show. And with my brown hair and glasses, I've got the physical resemblence down. :laughing:

And...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! party:
I hope you enjoy your special day! My best friend's birthday is tomorrow so apparently lots of cool people have their birthdays around now. ;)

Oh, and I almost forgot...yay that you're leaving this weekend!! :yay: Good luck with all of the last minute planning. I'm a procrastination queen so, for me atleast, the last couple days before the trip are always packed full of things to do.

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!!!!!!!!!! :lovestruc

Haha, so you are thinking of re-doing your ADR's? I hope you get everything figured out since the weekend is almost here! :laughing:

Not ALL of them... but some. I don't know. I haven't figured it all out yet. I am sure i'll be changing them around while we're there, even. I need to relax! LOL

Good luck with all of the last minute planning. I'm a procrastination queen so, for me atleast, the last couple days before the trip are always packed full of things to do.

Oh yes, oh yes. I need to go through my closet AKA "The Black Hole" and find some things I can not seem to locate at the minute... this is typical. I'm no where near all packed. :lmao: BRB, going insane! Blerg. LOL

Not ALL of them... but some. I don't know. I haven't figured it all out yet. I am sure i'll be changing them around while we're there, even. I need to relax! LOL

It's Friday! :woohoo:

You crack me up. I think I would have a nervous breakdown changing them around so much.

Oh yes, oh yes. I need to go through my closet AKA "The Black Hole" and find some things I can not seem to locate at the minute... this is typical. I'm no where near all packed. :lmao: BRB, going insane! Blerg. LOL
Oh my gosh, I'm the same way, girl. I usually only pack, like, a few hours before we leave. I realize that this is a cardinal sin of the Disboards, but I just can't seem to get myself to pack any earlier. I mean, I know exactly what I want to pack, but the actual act of going through my stuff, finding everything I want, and shoving it all into a suitcase is pretty much the last thing I do before we leave. It's a bad habit, but I've never forgotten anything before. It's probably like how my professors always give me the best grades on papers I write the night before they're due. Evidently I do my best work under pressure. :upsidedow

It's Friday! :woohoo:

You crack me up. I think I would have a nervous breakdown changing them around so much.

I pretty much am going nuts. I need to just chill because no matter what, the trip is going to be amazing. I find that sometimes the best meals/experiences end up being a spontaneous thing we decide to do while we're there so I'm trying not to overplan in these last hours. Plus, I still intend on fully begging them to let us into Le Cellier :rotfl:

party::bday:HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!party::bday:

Thanks!!!!!! :dance3:

Oh my gosh, I'm the same way, girl. I usually only pack, like, a few hours before we leave. I realize that this is a cardinal sin of the Disboards, but I just can't seem to get myself to pack any earlier. I mean, I know exactly what I want to pack, but the actual act of going through my stuff, finding everything I want, and shoving it all into a suitcase is pretty much the last thing I do before we leave. It's a bad habit, but I've never forgotten anything before. It's probably like how my professors always give me the best grades on papers I write the night before they're due. Evidently I do my best work under pressure. :upsidedow

Yep, i'm the same way and I never forget anything either. I totally thought I was going to forget something major on my solo trip and just be stuck but everything was perfect! It's just the way I am.. I always do this before I have an audition. I'll have a monologue I've practiced for weeks and think is great, but at like 10pm the night before an audition I'll find a new one, work on it all night without sleep, and love that one 10x more than the old one. So I just have accepted at this point I am a last minute person. OK I will stop rambling now and get back to PACKING!!!! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter