ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

My heart is aching right now. Some of you remember Dana, "dglilbit", who posted here and I got to know some.

We are not guaranteeed our next breath, but when a beautiful child is taken, it's just too much to bear. Her sweet little Evie passed away this morning from childhood leukemia after a long hard battle.

Oh, no. I'm so sorry to hear that. Will pray for all of them.

Oh No So sorry to hear about Evie. I cannot even imagine the heartache and grief. Thoughts and prayers for the entire family. :hug::hug::hug::hug::grouphug::grouphug:

K is for Karibuni Harambe- Pt. 3

After we rested and finished our lunches of Beef Mafe and Chicken Yassa (see recipes below, our family eats these pretty regularly) we gathered our gear and headed towards the trucks once more at Shofana’s direction. The ever-excellent tour guide, Shofana made sure we left nothing behind, and took only pictures.

“Let’s GO!”, he cried once more.

IMG_1471.jpg

<bump, bumpity, lurch…>

We bounced over the rough dirt track that snaked through the tall savanna (no H- you're welcome @glennbo123 ) grasses, and very soon we came to a rocky outcropping. Shofana gave us a stern warning that dangerous animals might be lurking here and to keep our wits about us. Sure enough, we came across this absolutely "ferocious" beast high on a ledge above us unsuspecting visitors.

Behold, the King of the Pride- lion around as usual.

IMG_1563.jpg

Here he is, a magnificent specimen of the male of the species. Pablo was fairly fit, but like many middle-aged men, had a low T issue that he was seeing Dr. Jones for on the side. If you look very, very closely the TV remote is setting just beside him as he snoozes on his couch after a long day of work. Weary from listening to all of his female co-workers rant about their spouses around the watering hole during his 8 hour shift, he came home in serious need of a nap. Poor baby, he desperately wished his lady would bring him a beer and rub his feet.

IMG_1565_1.jpg

Look! There she is now!

IMG_1577_2.jpg

She spent the day on the job as well, doing the hunting for her family. Bringing down a gazelle earlier in the day, and making sure her cubs stayed out of trouble. She gave them baths, which took hours (have you ever tried to bathe your children with a washcloth the size of a tongue?), kept the vultures and hyenas off the carcass, and marked the entire property perimeter to make sure it was in tip-top shape for visitors.

IMG_1572.jpg

She was beat! It had already been a long day for Bessie when Pablo came home, but someone had to keep watch over the lair. Here she is keeping a vigilant eye over things from her vantage point. Occasionally, she would glance up at Pablo and roll her eyes.

IMG_1571.jpg

The trash needed taking out, dinner needed serving, and the kids were still running amok, but she knew Pablo would only rouse to the sound of his own snoring startling him. Eventually, it would be her turn to get some shut eye of her own, but it would be late into the night after all the kids were tucked in and she had a nice long bath and time to herself filled with fantasies of a vacation filled with pampering and relaxation.

IMG_1567.jpg

The day was getting later now as Shofana led us on deeper onto the wide open savanna. <grind, bump, bump, lurch...> He led us safely past the lions’ lair and we were now just a whim away from seeing these- the most vain of all savanna creatures:

The Zebra.

Bibi enjoyed looking her best, but was living just out of her means dropping hundreds at the Medi-Spa every month. This last visit she saw spectacular results with some highlights on her luxurious hair which brought out it’s natural shine and color.

Here's a before and after:

IMG_1578_2.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

But she really loved her new eyelash extensions- they were truly the envy of all the other girls in the herd.

IMG_1591.jpg

Next week, she's getting some of that facial hair taken care of with some laser hair removal.

Butt, the work that Bibi was most excited about was the recent Smart Lipo sculpting work she had done on her derriere.

IMG_1594_1.jpg

Bibi worked for the ostrich family doing some occasional babysitting. With their heads in the sand most of the time, they needed someone to watch over their young. But, today they paid attention long enough to chat with Bibi and admire her new work.

IMG_1592_1.jpg

The orange ball over the savanna was now setting in the Eastern sky and the day was coming to a close- as was our Safari. We had had a marvelous couple of days learning about all of the animals we'd seen that day and getting an up close and personal view of the grassland drama. Who knew there would be so many personal stories we'd be privy to as we adventured among them? Shofana had been a most excellent host and tour guide and we couldn't thank our porters and drivers enough for all of their help and kindness. We'd taken away some fantastic memories and photos of the magnificent creatures, who in the end, we learned, are not too very different from us. ;)

Sitting behind Shofana's Safari Adventure's headquarters we ran into Tyrone who was welcoming the next group into the Hospitality Tent with mimosas and Cashews. Another day, another African trip around the sun....

IMG_1599_1.jpg

Recipe for: MAFE; Senagalese Beef Stew

Ingredients
Directions
  1. Whisk together peanut butter and stock and reserve.
  2. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
  3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
  4. Brown the meat well on all sides; do not crowd the meat; saute in batches if necessary.
  5. Remove meat and keep warm.
  6. Add the onion, garlic, peppers, and carrots to the pan and saute until the onions are translucent.
  7. Add the peanut butter and broth mixture, scraping all the brown bits up from the bottom and sides of the pan.
  8. Return the reserved meat (and any juices) to the pan with the tomatoes and their liquid, the thyme and bay leaf.
  9. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for about 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
  10. Taste for seasoning.
  11. Remove the thyme sprig and the bay leaf and discard.
  12. Serve hot over rice.

If chicken and a vinegary flavor is more your thang:

Here's the recipe for African Yassa; or Poulet Yassa

1⁄2 cup peanut oil (or any cooking oil)
Directions:

• Mix all ingredients (except the optional vegetables), the more onions the better, and allow chicken to marinate in a glass dish in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
    • Remove chicken from the marinade, but save the marinade.
    • Cook according to one of the following methods.
    • Cooking method 1: Grill chicken over a charcoal fire (or bake it in a hot oven) until chicken is lightly browned but not done.
    • Cooking method 2: Sauté chicken for a few minutes on each side in hot oil in a frypan.
    • While chicken is browning: Remove onions from marinade and sauté them in a large saucepan for a few minutes.
    • Add remaining marinade and the optional vegetables and bring to a slow boil, cooking the marinade into a sauce.
    • Reduce heat.
    • Add chicken to the sauce, cover and simmer until chicken is done.
    • Serve with Rice, Couscous (couscous with chickpeas and raisins is very good), or Fufu.
(*Note from your humble authoress: The mustard IMHO is the key ingredient, err on the side of too much!!!)

Lurkers! JOIN THE CONVERSATION. We'd love to meet you!

Last edited:
They really don't know how good they have it.

Clearly.

Um, yeah! Sounds like a good story here!

Elephant snot... it's all the rage.

I really get no entertainment from politics whatsoever.

If it weren't for the fact that it depresses me to no end, I'd find endless amusement. It's now well beyond the point of funny.

Whenever I see the elephants and rhinos, I can only think of that old joke. I've told that one before, right?

Uh, negative...

Please proceed....

Great timing on that one!

::yes::

Once in a while I get lucky.

You have so many truly awesome pictures from the safari!! I have totally given up on trying to get pictures. I just enjoy the view!!

Thanks to @afwdwfan quoting the Bavarian shot glass, I remembered that I never replied to that post to explain the significance of what you see!

It is the coat of arms of the State of Bavaria, one of the 16 states that make up the Federal Republic of Germany (the long name of Germany and from 1949 to 1990 the official name of West Germany, but then it was only 11 states). Until 1918, when Bavaria became a Republic, this was in a very similar form the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Bavaria.

The shield is held up by two lions, which are of special importance, they are also called "Bavarian Lions" and are often used in decorative elements throughout Bavaria. The four fields of the shield (without the middle field) represent the different regions of Bavaria. The golden lion on black represents the Upper Palatinate (the region where I grew up, it is in the North East of Bavaria), the field with the white (in heraldic terms silver) spikes under the red is called the "Frankonian Rake" and represents Frankonia, the region where I live now (and a region that did not become part of Bavaria until the 19th century and still feels like it is not really part of Bavaria, so you see the Frankonian Rake being used on its own here quite a bit), the blue panther on white represents Upper and Lower Bavaria, the "original Bavaria" so to speak, this the region around Munich, kind of the South and South East of Bavaria, and finally the three black lions on gold which represent Swabia (in the South West), the home of the Spätzle. The shield in the middle represents the whole of Bavaria and it can also stand on its own as the lesser coat of arms for Bavaria. The pattern of the blue and white rhombs is used a lot to for decorations as well (you can get it for party plates and cups, gift bags etc.) and every German would recognise this as the Bavarian pattern. And as every Bavarian will be able to tell you: The colors of Bavaria are white and blue (that is even in the Bavarian National Anthem). Above the shield is the "people's crown". The king's version had a different kind of crown on top, so when Bavaria became a republic, this crown was designed to represent the people.

Every official document in the State of Bavaria (even for example our year end report cards at school) would have the coat of arms on it. Only the state is allowed to use it. So, it is an interesting question whether it is allowed to use it on souvenir products? Obviously, the State of Bavaria has little competence in the US and the copyright for the art work should have expired by now. But I think I have seen it being used here in Germany on souvenirs as well. It says on the state's website that it can be used for arts and crafts, but not sure your shot glass falls under this... Maybe they give out licenses to companies?

I know I can always count on you to give a very thorough, detailed, and well-written explanation of things! Thanks!

It's actually very fascinating to me- I find it interesting that all Bavarians would know the various meanings and symbolisms of the fields and elements. Nice! I can't say that very many (at all!) Oregonians would understand or know the meanings of the various elements of our flag. Other than the beaver on it.

I love all of the history you included as well.

Yes, thanks indeed! It reminded me that I wanted to stand in for you as Bavarian (if only by birth) on this TR while you were away. But then I got lost doing research, as this looks like the Bavaria coat of arms, but it isn't: the blue panther is missing! So I guess that's why they can use it without any copyright problems....

Thanks for the additional clarification, Katharina! Makes sense that if it's not exactly the same, they can skirt legalities.

AND, it also explains the salesgirl's vague explanation she was trying to give me about the design. She said something like "it was a lot LIKE the Bavarian crest" but not quite. I had no idea what she meant or why she was being vague, but didn't have time to really press for a better explanation. Now I get it! So thanks, Ladies!

I like eating there. For the experience. The food, not so much. Honestly that's why I've ate there once and only once. But I still think it is a beautiful setting.

Oh for sure! Very pretty for sure! I've only read mediocre reviews on the food sadly, and can get WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better Mexican in my own neighborhood at a 1,000 taquerias so, don't go out of my way for mediocre on vacation. I have dozens of friends who go to Cabo or Puerto or Punta every year, and am dying to get down there to an all-inclusive soon. I'd imagine the setting is equally as beautiful as the EPCOT version.

And I learned something new today! That's awesome! Although when you consider his kids' names can you really be too surprised by any of the names in that family?

True enough. But Thor is kinda cool.

::yes:: And they just keep going up...

Sigh....

Oh!! You are right!!!

This is the official Bavarian one:

grosses_staatswappen_farbig.jpg

And this is the one on the glass:

Not only have they replaced the blue panther with the blue and white rhombs, they also have mixed up the locations of the different fields.

Nice catch, Girls!

Oh and "Bayern" is just the German word for "Bavaria". So, the soccer team "Bayern München" is called "Bavaria Munich". Not to be confused with the pharmaceutical company "Bayer" which was founded by a Mr. Bayer.

Didn't know that!! Munchen I knew, but not Bayern. Cool!

And finally - sorry for the multiple posts: You had issues with the "hot text" in my opinion this is caused by a feature on photobucket, which makes your IMG code appear as this:
Code:
[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/magdaleneTR/media/DSC05850.jpg.html][IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/DSC05850.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
(this is just a random picture from my album)

If you go into your settings under "Albums" and de-select under "Link Back Option" the check in front of "Link back to albums", the IMG code will look like this:
Code:
[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac166/magdaleneTR/DSC05850.jpg[/IMG]

Ever since I went to this setting, I never had those issues with "hot text" ever again. I think the difference is that there is no link coding in the code anymore that can cause havoc.

Totally fixed the problem!!! I can't thank you enough. I asked a couple of others whose help was also invaluable(!), and I think I won't struggle with hot text anymore.

Now, to work on my stupid chapter links. I have instructions that were given to me by a rockstar, but need to find time to study up and just do it.

Ok, so actually, we were first introduced to both recipes by friends who were working in Senegal longterm. They had us for dinner a few times while on furlough and made these. So.... there are as many "recipes" as there are cooks.

OK, playing catch up so no multi quote and all that.

So sorry to hear of little Evie's passing. I remember reading her PTR pre diagnosis, I hope that she is at peace now.

Nice pictures of the animals. There sure is a lot more going on there than meets the eye!

The recipes sound very interesting. Not sure how Fran would react if I made her a dish like those.

I find the discussion on San Angel Inn curious. What I'd read is that often times the mixed reviews are because people are expecting a Mexican Taqueria, but instead they get Sonoran style cuisine. Alberto is from Costa Rica and he said it reminded him of the food he had back home.

Hopefully I can keep up better once I get home, not planning any more trips and all. :rolleyes1

@Flossbolna now I wish I would have taken a picture of the shotglass that I got in Germany before I packed it up. It read "750 Jahren" and had a yellow and blue flag with a "horse-like" creature on it. I'm guessing that I picked it up in the Schwarzwald as we stayed there with a host family. We stayed somewhere else with hosts in Germany, but I forgot where.

@Flossbolna now I wish I would have taken a picture of the shotglass that I got in Germany before I packed it up. It read "750 Jahren" and had a yellow and blue flag with a "horse-like" creature on it. I'm guessing that I picked it up in the Schwarzwald as we stayed there with a host family. We stayed somewhere else with hosts in Germany, but I forgot where.

Let me know when you unpack it and I will help you find out what it is!! "750 Jahre" means 750 years, so it sounds like this was done for the 750th anniversary of a town and the flag with the horse must be the town's flag.

Let me know when you unpack it and I will help you find out what it is!! "750 Jahre" means 750 years, so it sounds like this was done for the 750th anniversary of a town and the flag with the horse must be the town's flag.

That much I knew with my limited German, but it will be years before we unpack those, if we ever do again. It was 1988 when I got it. I googled German towns founded in 1238, but got nothing. Oh well....

OK, playing catch up so no multi quote and all that.

OH I totally get that. When behind, it's best to pick it up where you last left off and move forward from there.

So sorry to hear of little Evie's passing. I remember reading her PTR pre diagnosis, I hope that she is at peace now.

I'm sure she is Alison. :)

Nice pictures of the animals. There sure is a lot more going on there than meets the eye!

Thanks! And yes. Yes, there is! ;)

The recipes sound very interesting. Not sure how Fran would react if I made her a dish like those.

They are definitely unique and not something you'd find in standard American fare.

I find the discussion on San Angel Inn curious. What I'd read is that often times the mixed reviews are because people are expecting a Mexican Taqueria, but instead they get Sonoran style cuisine. Alberto is from Costa Rica and he said it reminded him of the food he had back home.

Interesting it reminds Alberto of the Costa Rican. Huh! I guess that makes sense though. And yes, think you may be right. Sonoran is NOT even close to taqueria style most know.

Hopefully I can keep up better once I get home, not planning any more trips and all. :rolleyes1

Glad you're home safe and sound. Sending an email later today....

So sad for Dana and her family. I am just seeing this now. I will look her up, although I think it is the same page I saw, just didn't make the connection. Life is so cruel sometimes.

Nice lion shots. I love the animal convo going on in this chapter! (And the ones before) Great shot of the gorilla, too. He is just posing for you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter