"That Guy" with no ID at CC

msb578

DIS Veteran
Instead of reviving a zombie thread, I just thought I'd share my recent experience at CC.

This was my first cruise, and somehow I missed the announcements about needing photo ID at CC. They let me off the ship without checking.

Coming back- At the advance checkpoint before you get near the ship, I told them I didn't have photo ID when they asked to see it. I was told to go to the lane on the far left. The woman there checked my room card and checked for my name on the manifest.

There were jokes made about having to live on Castaway Cay... which didn't sound too bad when faced with January in Syracuse.

I'm not sure how I failed on this... but it seemed like I wasn't the first one.

Last edited:
If that's all they did, that accomplished almost nothing. All it did was protect against the use of a a) counterfeit KTTW card that b) had false data. What are the chances of that? It did nothing to prevent someone that happened to find a KTTW card or otherwise got hold of a genuine one and tried to use one that wasn't their own. If they at least asked for date of birth and checked that against the manifest, then that would catch someone using a lost key. Better would be if they had a laptop connected to the ship's computer so they could compare photos.

If that's all they did, that accomplished almost nothing. All it did was protect against the use of a a) counterfeit KTTW card that b) had false data. What are the chances of that? It did nothing to prevent someone that happened to find a KTTW card or otherwise got hold of a genuine one and tried to use one that wasn't their own. If they at least asked for date of birth and checked that against the manifest, then that would catch someone using a lost key. Better would be if they had a laptop connected to the ship's computer so they could compare photos.
Now that I think about it, I believe they also asked for my room number. Is that some degree of security? I'm not sure.

I agree though. Although my mistake was an honest/ignorant one, I was definitely at fault. I expected to be given a hard time, but I wasn't.

Now that I think about it, I believe they also asked for my room number. Is that some degree of security? I'm not sure.

I agree though. Although my mistake was an honest/ignorant one, I was definitely at fault. I expected to be given a hard time, but I wasn't.
Every time I've gotten back on the ship at any port they've scanned my card and my pic comes up on the computer so they know it's me and they know who is on and off the ship at all times.

That didn't happen to you?

Every time I've gotten back on the ship at any port they've scanned my card and my pic comes up on the computer so they know it's me and they know who is on and off the ship at all times.

That didn't happen to you?
It definitely did, yes, when I walked onto the gangway. I wasn't asked for any photo ID there.

This other checkpoint was about a quarter mile from the ship. From what I'm reading on threads from early 2015, this additional check is fairly new. And I think it's run by the Bahamas, not DCL, maybe?

Yes, the additional check is a new Bahamas requirement, not DCL. Glad it turned out well for you.

On Sunday when we reboarded at Castaway, neither KTTW cards nor IDs were checked. Everyone was just going onboard quickly as there had just been a storm...

On Sunday when we reboarded at Castaway, neither KTTW cards nor IDs were checked. Everyone was just going onboard quickly as there had just been a storm...
They didn't scan your KTTW card? How would they know if someone was still on the island and hadn't made it back to the ship? Never seen them do this before.

They didn't scan your KTTW card? How would they know if someone was still on the island and hadn't made it back to the ship? Never seen them do this before.

Shhhh.. You'll spoil my plan at permanently living on Castaway Cay!!! :boat::thumbsup2:earsboy:

Last edited:
The new security checkpoint is useless. Period. A Bahamian boondoggle. Your KTTW card brings up your picture and Disney won't let you on the ship without seeing you match the photo. Kind of like the swine flu or the Y2K scare, the new checkpoint is a cure for which there is no disease.

That being said, it's benign, and doesn't seem to stop people who forget a picture ID. If they are strict or lax there, it doesn't matter. My feeling of security us generated by the DCL boarding process.

I had something similar happen. I went back to the ship to retrieve my daughter's hat and I left my ID in my tote bag at the beach. They just asked what my cabin number was, looked me up on their manifest and I was through the line. It was actually quicker than the "regular" line. As we were coming back at the end of the day there were about 10 people in the no ID line, so I think it happens pretty regularly.

If we cruise again (that's a whole other topic), I will certainly bring my ID next time. I still can't believe I didn't know- it seems obvious now.

I just wanted to share what happens if you forget.

I guess we all know that neither the Bahamas nor Disney would allow anyone to be stranded on CC, even in the absence of a room key. It may take some explaining, and maybe a delay (and an angry ship), but everyone's coming back on that ship.

But bring your ID folks :) I'll buy one of those lanyard things for next time. I thought I had planned and prepared, but I fell woefully short.

If we cruise again (that's a whole other topic), I will certainly bring my ID next time. I still can't believe I didn't know- it seems obvious now.

I guess we all know that neither the Bahamas nor Disney would allow anyone to be stranded on CC, even in the absence of a room key. It may take some explaining, and maybe a delay (and an angry ship), but everyone's coming back on that ship.

But bring your ID folks :) I'll buy one of those lanyard things for next time. I thought I had planned and prepared, but I fell woefully short.
The other option is to have another member of your party go back on the ship, get your ID and bring it back to you.

If you cruise next time you will not need to buy a lanyard. They will give you one as a Castaway Club member.

At the risk of going :offtopic:, just wanted to say I believe I was on that same cruise (3-day Bahamas on the Dream) and that storm sure was something! We ducked into Cookies II to try and ride it out, then went back to the ship like little drowned mice. Still had a great day even though our CC day was cut short.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter