Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

Terapin

DIS Veteran
Hi! My name is Carolynn and I'm transforming.

I'm 39, a mother of three, I own a thriving and busy business and am a midwife who works long, long hours. I have a terrific and supportive partner.

Since having kids I have watched my weight climb, my energy plummet, and I have really struggled with fitting fitness into my life. As much as I hate to admit it, I felt like a blob. Part of my identity is as a strong and tall and healthy woman, so it was hard to face that I was now blobby.

I am a Weight Watchers drop-out (just too much work and focus for my measly .5 lb a week loss) x2. My body is clinging on to my fat like crazy (I'd be perfect in a famine - just got those 'hang on for dear life' fat cells). I think WW is a really sound and practical program - it just requires such a slow and steady burn of motivation and perseverance. I'm just not that person.

Even as a very fit little chickie of 18, where I was biking to and from work across town every day rain, sleet and snow, I struggled with weight, despite eating really well. As a teenager I experimented with anorexia and bulemia and that was the only way I could be thin - clearly self-destructive - and I was able to resume normal life.

So now, I have embraced my tall, big-breasted, little pouchy tummy, AWESOME self, and I am choosing ACTIVITY.

I love food. Good, yummy, organic food of all kinds. My favourites are Japanese and Indian. I can cook anything! I've tried to steer my kids away from my obesity by instilling great food from an early age. We eat a lot of organic and fresh foods, drink raw milk, purchase grain-fed organic beef by the side, and try to eat as much food from scratch as is practical. My career does a number on the family as far as predictability and timing, so we sometimes order pizza (from a local bakery) and eat out a couple times a month, but we try to balance. We indulge in junk food occasionally, but overall, I think we eat really well.

So how did I become 270 pounds?

Well, however it happened, I'm going to change it. :woohoo:

I started running (well, that is too generous. I move faster than walking, with both feet off the ground sometime in my stroke, but I don't think it's really running! But I will call it running because it is much faster than my walk!). I'm on week 7 day 1 today of the Running Room Learn to Run program. YAY! I'm doing it!

I'm now up to 5:1 intervals (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!! ME: RUNNING FOR 5 MINUTES!). It's pretty comfortable. Tonight I start 6:1s. And it is going to be about 30C/95F during class tonight. Oy Vey.

I was pretty disappointed that my weight started going up as I started to run. I gained about 5 pounds and was feeling pretty sorry for myself. But logic prevailed, I figured it was just muscle mass taking over blobbiness, and I figured I would just stick to it. Today, my lovely scale showed me down from 270 (#%@$$&) to 264. YAY! :cloud9: My BMI is 38. I'm going to count down the BMI as incentive. Only 4 more pounds and I'll be a 37.

Ultimately I want to be below 200 lbs. I felt great at that weight - that will make my BMI a 28. Not ideal, but where I feel good in my skin.

One of my problems (and this is a bit embarrassing) is that I got the big **** gene. I mean, like specialty-store-bra-only big knockers. I'm really hoping that losing weight will tame my lovelies into just 'buxom'. It will, right?

I have really bad feet - completely without arches. When my feet were made the arches got left out. I suck water on wet floors with my feet. AND they are size 11. :scared1: So when I went to get fitted for running shoes the best pair ended up being Brooks "THE BEAST". Talk about adding insult to injury: fat woman starting to run, can't find running clothes, and has to wear shoes called THE BEAST. :rolleyes: And they are men's shoes because my local store doesn't stock women's size 12 shoes. They are fugly. But, they are comfy. So I sucked it up and have the ugliest running feet ever.

My last thing to tell you: I signed up for a 5k September 10. Oh yes I did! With my sister. We're going to do it together. I'm so PROUD of us!

Last edited:
This is me:

DSC01474.jpg

Well, last night's run wasn't fabulous. It was hot out. I was fine for the first 6 minute interval, did ok on the second, but the third I had to stop for a few seconds a couple of times. I felt myself getting a bit stumbly. But I finished the whole 21 minutes smiling, and felt good about my overall speed and endurance. I'm going to keep going!

I found this article summary:

Citation: Harris, G.K., Baer, D.J. 2007. Gender Differences in Body Fat Utilization During Weight Gain, Loss, or Maintenance. In: Preuss, H. G. , Bagchi, D., editors. Phytopharmaceuticals for Obesity Treatment. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. p. 239-244.

Interpretive Summary: This chapter describes how men and women are different when it comes to gaining, losing or maintaining body fat. Men and women store fat in different places and use it in different ways as an energy source. Men tend to store fat in the stomach area, while women tend to store it in the thigh area. Men burn more calories than women, even when they are resting. During exercise, women burn more fat than men, but men burn more fat than women at rest. Eating too many calories can cause anyone to become fatter, but the type of food eaten may be especially important for women. The more fat women eat, the more likely they are to have too much body fat. On the other hand, the more carbohydrates women eat, the less likely they are to have too much body fat. Exercise by itself seems to be a good way of maintaining or losing body fat in men, but not in women. In fact, women who burn more total calories (calories burned at rest + calories burned during exercise) also have higher body fat levels. Some scientists believe that women eat more when they exercise, while men do not. This has not been proven, however. Overall, the data suggest that women gain and retain body fat more readily than men, independent of physical activity level. This chapter will be of interest to scientists and health professionals interested in weight control and weight loss.

Doesn't make it sound easy for women trying to lose weight?:scared1:

I bought a body fat composition scale. The good news is my visceral fat is ok. The bad news is that my overall fat percentage is gigantic. Well, I bought it to give me some better data about weight loss progress, so here I go!

Well, I was doubting that it would happen because my body was being stubborn, but my weight is DOWN!!!! Today my scale said 260.5. Yay! Made that BMI goal! Just 7 more pounds and I'll be a 36!

Had a GREAT run yesterday - was doing 6:1 intervals of running:walking and not only did I manage to make it through the full 6 minutes, I actually didn't hear my interval timer and went over, including by a full minute so ran 6/6/7! The run was actually pretty easy (it was nice and cool last night with a breeze) but I am so slooooooow. I am running about a 16 minute mile. :rotfl: My plan is to get up to 10:1s then work on my speed a bit.

Anyways, feeling good today!

Good afternoon!

Scale reading a wee bit higher, and I was surprised at the big weight loss last week, so I think I was artificially low as all this week I have been around 262. In any case, the trend is DOWN! :banana:

Had a good run last night: 8:1/8:1/8:4. Ran a 16 minute pace, ran 1.4 miles. My running class meets on Tuesday and I need to get one more run in before class to keep up with our target. Unfortunately this week it is 10:1s! :scared1:

I have one more class after that one, and then I will be a graduate of the Learn to Run! I'm going to join right away into a 5k class to keep going and to help me get more ready for my 5k race in September.

I have a little group of 4 people that are running together: me, my sister, a dear client for whom I was her midwife for 3 of her kids, and her friend. It will be nice to have the company and support.

I've started to need the anti-chafe balm for my longer runs because one foot is getting chafed in one spot by my socks, even different running socks. I hope this balm stuff works.

Thank you for the reply and encouragement!

Sounds like you're doing great. As a 41-year-old mother of twins, I feel your pain with the post-baby blob. And I have lost only a tiny bit of weight since starting c25k in March (and I'm now running 10 miles a week; when I was training for a 7/4 10K I ran 15!). So frustrating, but I'm trying to focus on long-term changes that make me FEEL better. Oh, and the bazongas? Me too.

Anyway, I wanted to send some good vibes and say thanks for journaling!

Cate

Thanks for the lovely replies!

I wanted to post that I am down to 254 - yay! AND I RAN A 5K!

I ran the Energizer Night Race in Toronto and finished under 48 minutes. My goal was to 1) finish and 2) finish under 50 minutes. I ran with my sister and it was fabulous.

I have singed up for 3 more 5Ks: one next month supporting Variety Village, one Resolution Race January 1st, and I signed up for the Disney Family 5k in January 2012! We were already planning to be there (shushhhhh - surprise) and I thought I would really like to do that race.

So feeling pleased. Wish the weight were coming off quickly, but excited that I have lost this much (my weight went up 4 lbs when I started running so I have lost 16 lbs so far!)

Just wanted to post that I was still going.

Down 17 pounds! Ran 2 miles tonight - kept a 13-14 min/mile pace. Shins are sore - going to ice them. Have inspired a friend to start running and DH has started fast walking. :woohoo:

Happy to report that I am down 18 pounds in total now! Yay! Figured out that I lost 7 lbs in July, 6 lbs in August, and 5 lbs in September. Heading out for a run a few minutes after my orange cup (mandarins in juice - 70 cals), a banana and my homemade latte settle. Taking the kids to my sister's for a pool party. Might get in the pool for some cross-training.

My goal over the next two weeks is to get some more cross-training in. I'm thinking yoga, hand-held weights, stretches with a resistance band. I just keep forgetting, and need to remind myself.

My last run was Tuesday with my running group. I like the social interaction and the firm time commitment but I really don't enjoy running with a group. It messes up my stride and I am the slowest, so it messes with my feelings of accomplishment. Have 4 more weeks then the session is over. It is a 5k class. If I do it again, will do another 5k class. Definitely not ready for a 10k. I would like to increase my speed first. I am currently at about 14 minute mile, and I would like to decrease that. See? Told ya I was slow!

Things are going well! I am down to 249 today :cool1:

Work has been very busy so I haven't run since Monday - but going to get out today for sure. I have to go in to the hospital soon to relieve a colleague but will commit to going out for a run today or tonight.

I thought that my food intake yesterday would really harm me (ate a big breakfast of an omelette, fried potatoes and toast, then a lunch of pasta and a slice of cake :scared1:, and then a dinner of three small pieces of thin crust pizza! My worse day (and unusually, no fruits or veggies)! But I still lost over this week. I attribute it to just getting more exercise and not snacking. And today, I am taking it really easy on the eating well, with lots of fruits and veggies, and low-carb, no treats or snacks. That has been my approach: balancing rich foods and heavy foods with eating light at other times. Want indian buffet for lunch? Eat an apple or something small for breakfast, have the lovely indian buffet for lunch, then eat a small dinner. Overall, I get that lovely big eating sensation I really like, but my calorie balance is ok over the whole day.

I had a great run on Monday: ran 5k FOR FUN! Wow. I didn't plan it. The second mile sucked so bad - I felt like crap and just wanted to stop. But when I got to 2.1 miles I thought, 'if I only ran another mile I can tell everyone I ran 5k' so I did. Ran/walked it as I felt like it, and managed to run the whole 5k in 47 minutes. That was better than my race time!

So new goal is 12-15k a week, or 7-10 miles a week. Ish. As I can.

So I will run today/tonight, then tomorrow or Sunday, and start fresh on Monday. I can do it!

(My secret goal, now revealed, is to run a half-marathon next year).

Things are going well! I am down to 249 today :cool1:

Work has been very busy so I haven't run since Monday - but going to get out today for sure. I have to go in to the hospital soon to relieve a colleague but will commit to going out for a run today or tonight.

I thought that my food intake yesterday would really harm me (ate a big breakfast of an omelette, fried potatoes and toast, then a lunch of pasta and a slice of cake :scared1:, and then a dinner of three small pieces of thin crust pizza! My worse day (and unusually, no fruits or veggies)! But I still lost over this week. I attribute it to just getting more exercise and not snacking. And today, I am taking it really easy on the eating well, with lots of fruits and veggies, and low-carb, no treats or snacks. That has been my approach: balancing rich foods and heavy foods with eating light at other times. Want indian buffet for lunch? Eat an apple or something small for breakfast, have the lovely indian buffet for lunch, then eat a small dinner. Overall, I get that lovely big eating sensation I really like, but my calorie balance is ok over the whole day.

I had a great run on Monday: ran 5k FOR FUN! Wow. I didn't plan it. The second mile sucked so bad - I felt like crap and just wanted to stop. But when I got to 2.1 miles I thought, 'if I only ran another mile I can tell everyone I ran 5k' so I did. Ran/walked it as I felt like it, and managed to run the whole 5k in 47 minutes. That was better than my race time!

So new goal is 12-15k a week, or 7-10 miles a week. Ish. As I can.

So I will run today/tonight, then tomorrow or Sunday, and start fresh on Monday. I can do it!

(My secret goal, now revealed, is to run a half-marathon next year).

Good for you!! Keep up the good work and you'll be running that half marathon in no time!

I just started running yesterday (I chuckle as I type that for some reason). I've been reading other people's journals for the last few days for inspiration. I'm going to do the wine/dine 5k next year, then maybe the wine dine half in 2013. Big goal for someone who just started yesterday, but if it gets me to disney, I'll die trying!

Well, rather than making progress, I am holding steady. The family had a gastro illness that kept me from running for over a week. Work kept me from running for a few days as well. Today I ran for the first time in 2 weeks. I went 2.2 miles and did ok. Glad to be back.

In the meantime I have been doing some other sporty things: horseback riding and target shooting with my Dad. He is a gun collector and we went to a shooting range. Gosh that 9mm was scary! I preferred the 22 caliber and it was actually fun and a bit of an upper body workout!

My weight is great: 248. So down a total of 22 pounds since July 1st. While sick I tried to be pretty good, and even though I wasn't running I tried to watch my daily calories. 1 more pound and my BMI is 35! My short term goal was a BMI of 34 so only 8 more pounds to got for that! I wanted to lose 40 pounds by 40 years of age (next May) so that seems totally doable. My ultimate goal is 199#, or a BMI of 29. I just feel that that is so far away that it seems practically impossible. Will keep hammering away though.

I'm heading out shortly for lunch with a friend. We're going for Thai food and I already know I am going to have a golden veggie curry on coconut rice, so it's salad for dinner!!! Breakfast was a yogurt, an apple, two coffees and some cheese crackers (just a small kids bowl). Dinner will be some kind of meat (a roast I think), rice (because my daughter is addicted to rice) and some veggies. The weather is dreary so comfort food is good!

Good for you!! Keep up the good work and you'll be running that half marathon in no time!

I just started running yesterday (I chuckle as I type that for some reason). I've been reading other people's journals for the last few days for inspiration. I'm going to do the wine/dine 5k next year, then maybe the wine dine half in 2013. Big goal for someone who just started yesterday, but if it gets me to disney, I'll die trying!

Thank you - how is it going?

Don't know how I missed your journal before, but wanted to congratulate you on your success so far! Keep it up and you'll hit all your long-term goals and will have to set new ones! :woohoo:

Don't know how I missed your journal before, but wanted to congratulate you on your success so far! Keep it up and you'll hit all your long-term goals and will have to set new ones! :woohoo:

Thanks! I appreciate the post.

Wow thats a great loss since July! Keep up the good work! You're efforts are paying off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter