Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

Hi!

I managed to run my second 5k last Sunday! I finished at my goal of 45 minutes - 45.05 to be exact! The first part of the course was difficult as it was moderately uphill and around unfamiliar streets, but the second half was way better as I could envision where the finish line was spatially and the course was mostly downhill from there. I heard an experienced runner call it "net uphill".

I did a fair amount of walking, but my time was saved by a fast first lap. I had planned to go slower, but got swept along with the running crowd, almost all (or ALL) of whom were going faster than me. In fact, I think there were power walkers who beat me to the finish!

I didn't have anyone with me to share the joy: I think that was not something I'd choose to do again. Afterwards I felt so great and accomplished, and had to share on Facebook and over texts. Not really the same. I sat in my car afterwards and rested, but to tell you the truth I was a bit lonely.

My weight has been pretty stable. I'm up a couple of pounds, but it has been fluctuating here and there. I am planning on running tonight and have dialled down my eating with the hopes of seeing those numbers go down some more. I'm not worried, this is as much about health and fitness as weight loss, and sometimes you just want to take a break from all the hard work and eat a bag (or two) of Halloween chips! Overall I feel fantastic!

Anyways, that is my update. :hippie:

Wow fantastic job on that 5K! You are doing so great! And you're right, the weight will start falling again soon.

Well, the weight is pretty stable. Down only one pound briefly, then up one pound. Going to try some HIT intervals today to ramp it up again. Feeling great, liking the positive feedback from friends and associates.

Had a nice chat with two of the docs I work with who are both runners. I didn't know! We chatted about running and it was nice to find camaraderie there - sometimes OBs and Midwives find it hard to agree on some subjects!

I have decided to set the bar sky-high: 2013 Princess Half. There. I said it. I made my sister agree to go with me. Will book our room via DVC in February. I can't believe I am committing to this.

My plan is to run 2 more 5k this winter, then gear up for an 8k in the spring, and a 10k in the summer. Then after the 10k I will really train for the 1/2. Sound reasonable? It gives me 14 months to train and lose more weight. I'd like to be down 40 more pounds by race time. That would put me almost near my goal weight.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

I went for my first interval run tonight.

I ran for 30 seconds as fast as I could and walked briskly for 1.5 minutes x 8 cycles. I expected to be more tired out muscularly - I felt limited by how fast I could actually move - like I couldn't coordinate running any faster if that makes sense. However, I did hit my 85% max of heart rate (or thereabouts).

I did find that my Garmin 305 told me that I burned 25% more calories for the same distance over the same time but with a more even running pace. So hopefully those bursts of speed will help me start losing again.

Feeling good now. A little more sore in my typically sore spots, but feeling good.

I think I will try to incorporate one of this HIIT runs a week, with a long slow run in there, and an easy run.

Sounds like a great plan. I finally busted thru my plateau last week after a month of no loss. Sure feels good to have some downward momentum again!

Had a good week. Have completed 8/10 goal runs this month. I'm running about 4-5 miles a week. I'd like to set some goals of increasing my mileage by 1/4 mile a week to build up to double my mileage over the next few months.

This week I have done a nice pace run, some good intervals, and a 5k run at just over my goal pace for my next run. Listen to me! I'm just trying to mix it up and increase my speed and mileage. I'm only running about a 13 minute mile, and averaging 14.5m/m with my walk breaks.

5 weeks until my next race: a 5k. 6 weeks until my 5k in Disney!

One very nice thing this week was I went clothes shopping and fit into a size 18!! This was awesome. It was just a titch too snug, but it looked way better than the baggy size 20.

I've been doing ok with the foods I am putting into my mouth. Today was a coffee and a large grapefruit for breakfast, with a small juice and some tamari almonds for a snack. Lunch was a small plain burger and a small fries with a diet pop (NOT good I know, but I was out and I chose the best I could given I didn't want a fast-food salad). Snack was a tea and 2 small cookies and half a cup of orange juice. Dinner is baked fish, stir-fried okra, stir-fried mediterranean veggies, a small portion of baked sweet potato fries. Not the worst. Tomorrow I will be at home so I can skip convenience foods.

Anyways, headed for the bath: these cooler days I love to run, then cool down and then have a warm tub. Then dinner!

Hi! I stumbled upon your journal, it's very inspiring and great job on the running! I like to run (ok trot) and have done one 5k in my life (pre-baby about 2-1/2 years ago.) I'm back treadmilling trying to run a 5k without stopping and then do a race in the spring. Good luck in your journey!

Hi! I stumbled upon your journal, it's very inspiring and great job on the running! I like to run (ok trot) and have done one 5k in my life (pre-baby about 2-1/2 years ago.) I'm back treadmilling trying to run a 5k without stopping and then do a race in the spring. Good luck in your journey!

Thanks!

I decided that running a whole 5k without taking walking breaks was not a goal of mine right now as I believe that those walking breaks are key to me being uninjured as a heavy runner. Also, my time seems to suffer when I don't take those breaks. Those breaks enable me to rev up again and run faster. My goal is to improve my time by working up to 10:1s again (I think). I plan to do the 1/2 marathon in 10:1s (I think).

I also have a good hill in my usual circuit to help me work on speed and endurance, and is a good measure of my progress (it is positioned about 5 minutes into my run and I have almost made it to the top without decreasing my speed. Gosh it feels good to stop at the top!)

Have you thought about working on intervals with walking breaks, or running outside where you can run some natural hills? I don't have a treadmill so I have done all of my running outside, for better or worse.

Thanks for reading!

Today I am back down to 247#. Really hoping to keep moving downward. I bought an app for my iPhone to track food, calories, basic nutrition, weight and exercise. Hoping it will help me do better!

It is cold and rainy here in Southern Ontario. Not very inspiring.

But you know what is inspiring? I am down again! :cool1: 246 this morning.

I should have run yesterday, but I didn't. I should have run this morning but it was pouring. So tonight, even if it is pouring, out I go.

Had a good day after all!

Finished a report that was on my plate. Chased the rainy day away with lunch with my mom and some shopping. Had a big chinese buffet lunch (chose just a teensy bit of fried rice, and chose the other 90% of my plate as vegetables and a wee bit of meat). Added two tablespoons of oil into my food journal on my iphone (not kidding - chinese food is oily. Think I underestimated?). Had a small plate of desserts and a coffee. Had a very, very light dinner of just fruit.

Just don't feel hungry after my run (I did go - in the pouring rain! :banana:). But I suppose I should eat something before bed, huh?

Had a good run of mostly just speed intervals. Ran 6x 1:1.5s as fast as I could, then ran a cool down of a nice 5 minute run a bit faster than my normal long runs. Came home feeling spent, even though I was only out 20 minutes. As I am new to this speedier stuff I am taking it really slow - my knee felt pretty good and I didn't want to hurt it. And did I mention it was pouring? Tomorrow I will try to go out for a nice long run, or at least more than 45 minutes.

Feeling good about my progress. I guess to some of you experienced runner this baby runner seems slow, and of poor endurance! I am working on it though and feel really good about how far I have come since starting in June.

(i am a runner) <giggle>

Good job on running in the rain! As far as intervals go, I've tried those from time to time. I do run outside on our lake trail with my DH and DD in her jogger, but I only run outside in near perfect weather conditions! :rotfl: and in NE Ohio that is about 4 days out of the summer! Seriously though, I made a promise with some coworkers that we are doing a 5k the second Saturday in April this coming year. BTW what is 6x 1:1.5s? 6 times doing something? I've seen the number colon thing before but don't understand. Keep up the good work!

The intervals are expressed that way (or at least I do).

So 5 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking is 5:1

Just finished a good run. My furthest (farthest?) yet! Ran/walked 6.5k (4 miles). Ran most of it. Took a waterfront trail that I don't know and got a bit lost. Then realized I had a huge hike up a steep hill! I walked for that part. Disappointed with my pace (15.5 minutes per mile) but I suppose with the big walking up big hills that was pretty good. My running portions were around a 13 minute mile on average.

Today it was wet and rainy and cold. Going to have a bath soon and warm up. Had good gear on today (my new RUnning Room winter pants), a good technical running shirt (long-sleeved) that says, "Running: cheaper than therapy :worship:, and my running jacket. Stayed warm enough at the beginning and was able to stay fairly dry and cool later on.

Aw, shoot.

I hurt my knee on a run a few weeks back and it isn't getting better. It also isn't getting worse. It is pretty localized to the inner aspect of my knee, below the kneecap. No other symptoms. No weakness. I do have some crepitus under the kneecap, but that was pre-existing and bilateral. Only my right knee hurts. I think it is just a pulled ligament. It started with a slight twist avoiding a puddle in new arch supports - I moved over to my proper orthotics. It doesn't particularly hurt when I run, just afterwards. It hurts about 75% of the time, even in bed. Sometimes there is no pain at all. Some swelling in the joint as the joint feels "full" when I bent it a lot.

I made an appointment with a sports medicine doc at a local clinic to get it diagnosed (don't want to make any mistakes and hurt myself worse, or avoid running if I don't have to). Unfortunately, it isn't until next Thursday. I am on the waiting list for a sooner appointment.

I should run tonight - not sure if I should or not. I really don't want to lose momentum and I need the exercise. Also, walking is no better. Have to think about it some more. Maybe just a quick run. I've rested in since Sunday afternoon already (that was a long run for me).

What do you think?

Well, I did go out for a short and slow run. About 5 minutes in I realized that this pain started when I put inserts into my shoes. I took them out and just ran in my shoes. Felt better. Just ran 1.5 miles at a slow pace. Now, my knee is feeling a bit better. I think that because I was running without orthotics that my muscles are working differently with the orthotics and it is throwing off my gait and causing my knee to be working differently. I think that it is just plain femoral patella syndrome exacerbated by the orthotics and some hill stuff I was working on.

Will see how the knee feels tomorrow. It is still not liking any twisting motion.

Will keep my sports MD visit next week and bring my shoes and orthotics for his opinion. Feeling a bit shy about visiting a sports medicine clinic overweight!

I am in the middle of my cycle and feeling so BLAH. Totally retaining water (i.e. a 4 lb weight gain in 3 days!) and not liking the scale. Been working on my diet and so not seeing that reflected in the scale. Oh well. Thus is the cyclical life of a woman!

Today:
Breakfast: bagel with tomato and cheese (was at work, best choice)
Lunch: salmon sandwich (no mayo). 100 ml orange juice
Snack: edamame, raw mushrooms with 1-2 tbsp blue cheese dressing
Dinner: stir-fried veggies, small amount steak, 1 cup basmati rice

1 tea, 2 coffees, 1 decaf

This morning my pain was 90% reduced. Just a little going down the stairs. I guess it really was the orthotics.

Glad I can run better again!

Will go to my appointment to get advice about how to proceed (strengthen muscles and use orthotics, get new orthotics, run without orthotics, what to do about femoral patella syndrome).

Have a great day!

Feeling frustrate: my weight is back up. Sigh. Feeling like I have been doing ok with my diet and exercise. Not perfect, but enough that I shouldn't be gaining.

Was up early at a birth so will run a short thing tonight. Tomorrow I have a long 6.5k run planned with my sister (that is long for me at this point). We are signing up for a 10k in mid-May. Yay!

My knee continues to get better. Still aware of it, but it is waaaaaaay better.

Breakfast was a bagel with cheese and tomato and an orange juice. I was at a birth and the Dad ran out to Timmie's to feed us that that was the reason I had my third bagel and cheese of the week.

For lunch I made a nice salad with romaine, blue cheese, grapes, hemp hearts and natural olives with an olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing. A fair amount of fat but I am hungry.

Anyways, trying not to feel discouraged. Despite the weight loss stall, all my clothes are too big, including my winter jacket. Even my running shoes feel lose! Liking this.

Well, holding steady despite the festive (eating) season. Only managed two runs last week but one was 6.2k and the other was 3.5 k so not too bad. Will go today and that will be my third run in 8 days rather than my planned 7.

Had a setback with my knee. Went for my consult and was told it was just minor femur-patellar syndrome (or whatever it is called). However my joint was a bit swollen so he sent me for xray and ultrasound. I get those results on Thursday, formally. But the ultrasound tech was nice and disclosed that I have fluid in the joint (enough that he felt that was causing my pain) and arthritis (at 39!). The tech told me off the record and I'm going to wait for a formal diagnosis, but I was a bit bummed. The tech said all my ligaments looked good though so YAY!:banana:

Anyhow this news, although a downer, is more motivation for losing weight. I'm going to continue running if at all possible. The sports doc said that he would likely recommend physio to strengthen my muscles around my knee, new orthotics, and some help to get my kneecap tracking better.

Today is a busy day: some postpartum visits of some of my mamas who birthed this weekend, cleaning up my livingroom diningroom after Christmas decorating got started yesterday, a run and a shower, wrapping some last minute gifts, and then a meeting with a executive director of a charity that works in Mali that I am beginning to get involved with. AFTER that, we have a small holiday party with my two business partners and our kids, with exchanging gifts and dinner.

Anyway, Happy Monday!

Kinda of treading water these days. It has been icy slick outside so I haven't been running too much this December. I think only 8 days so far this month. That makes me feel disappointed, but what can I do? Our house is too small for a treadmill (3 kids, 1600 sq feet). Maybe I need to join a gym for the winter.

Have stayed steady in weight over the holidays! :worship: Hoping to kick it into full gear in January. I have to lose another 15 lbs by May to make my goal.

Have a 5 k tomorrow in Oshawa. Race came with a free running jacket from the Running Room (yay!)

Heading to WDW on Monday and doing the 5k on race weekend.

So a couple good runs planned for the next week. Also a lot of eating at WDW while I am away, so will have to make good choices. Did I mention that we have a Chef's Table reservation at V and A on Monday? YUM!

That's my update. Thanks for the support! :hippie:

The Jan 1st 5k was BRUTAL. It was cold, windy and HAILING! It was so miserable running by the lake, with the hail pinging my face. I had a hail-rash! But, I persevered and finished. Albeit with a lousy time (44 mins I think). I was soaked to the core and the temperature was just above freezing. Got home and hopped in the tub to warm up. Then we were off to our airport hotel for a night's stay before our big family trip.

We had 13 of us in a 2 bdrm and a 1 bdrm at Bay Lake Towers on our DVC points. Great trip, loved our rooms, and had a busy, busy week.

My sister and I ran the 5k on the 6th and it went ok. I was very slow with all the dodging of folks and starting out towards the back. I never got into a groove. I finished in 46 minutes and was disappointed. I found it hard to really run with all those folks, but it was a fun run, so now I know what to expect when that phrase is used.

My upcoming goals are a 10k in May, and the Princess 1/2 in 2013. I really want to work on my speed and endurance.

Today I hired a personal trainer for in-house twice a week training sessions to kick up my weight loss a notch and to get fitter. I need some core strength and muscle strength. I'd like to see my overall fitness improve greatly, and my running to improve greatly.

On the plus side, my knee is A-OK. Even with running 2x 5k races in 6 days I was fine. I did a ton of walking in WDW and my knee was fine. Some residual fluid in the joint and some twinges, but nothing serious.

That is my update. Happy new year!

Had my first personal trainer workout today: it was good! I exceeded her expectations (maybe she thought a big gal would be less fit) and managed to do heavier weights, with more reps, and more repeats than she originally had me down for, so that was a good boost to my ego!

Weighed in. Blah. Measured in. Blah. Oh well, there is only room to shrink from here.

Planning on seeing her twice a week and run 2-3 times a week. Her fees are reasonable but they do add up so I want to make the most of this experience. My DH is very supportive, but did raise an eyebrow at the price. I'm going to make him proud! I pointed out that it was much cheaper than the Dr. Bernstein diet centre with better results so I won him over on that! I told him I'd get all hot for him: he liked that even better! LOL

Now I am just a week bit stiff. I think my arms will hurt the most tomorrow. Feeling really pleased to be getting a full body workout to balance out the running.

Have been watching running technique videos and am really going to work on it. Took a few test runs around the house and it felt good and light. It is freezing rain today, so am not motivated to go outside. Had a latte and watched a video instead, comfortable that my full hour workout session will be good enough for today.

:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter