tent air conditioning?

CiCiBee

Living Happily Ever After!
I know that I have seen people with what looks like a box air conditioner hanging off of there tents, any idea how this is done and what I would need to accomplish this? We are trying to tent camp the first week of June and know without an air conditioner that is nearly impossible.

I bought a porable air conditioner from Sporty's Pilot Shop and were pleasantly surprised at how well it works (tried it at home).

The intent was for use in an aircraft, without having to modify the plane (an STC, which is costly and time consuming to obtain). Since they work in the enclosed cabin of aircraft, with no moisture output (could you imagine your windows fogging in flight?), I thought it'd be great for camping.

Then we bought into DVC and will likely not camp after our upcoming cool month trip, so it looks like it'll be used in the garage when spouse is working on the car or doing a project!! :confused3 oh well

I was blessed to be given a used window unit and plan to set it on a milk crate just outside the D-shaped tent entry door and simply zip the door around it and tape off any unzipped portion of the door.

We do this all the time...we picked up a 99.00 special from Wally World. You don't really have to sit it on something, our a/c just sits on the ground...just make sure you tilt it back a bit so it doesn't drain inside the tent. We put the front part of it thru the back door and I use binder clips and a small tarp to enclose the ac around the door a bit...kinda make a duct to get all the cool air in you can and we put a small oscillating fan in front to spread the air around...you'll need the tarp to keep the rain out too. In the heat the tent still warms up thru the day but it makes for comfortable sleeping at night. I had a post on here back in 2008 of our setup with some pictures....might want to do a search for it if it's still here.

We used a portable unit with wheels last May. Just ran the exhaust to a corner by the "door". It was a single pipe/vent unit. Cost us about $200 from Costco. Did nothing to cool off the tent during the day - just too darn hot. But did wonders at night. Also saw a set up next to us with a window unit on a tray table and cardboard and duct tape to keep the air blowing into the tent. Kind of like a box tunnel. They used a small tarp to keep the rain off. Pretty ingenious set up :)

We are looking at getting the wenzel Klondike 11x16 tent and it has a rear wall zippered vent and I am wondering if we could set the window unit up so it blows through there, anyone see any issues with that?

I bought an air conditioner/ heater from costco a few years back. It is a stand up model with a/c, heat, dehumidifier and fan, I put it in my rv front bedroom and it works so great. The output is a tube, like your find on a dryer, your are to hook it to a square window, rvs don't have square windows, so I cit a round hole thru bathroom wall, then thru floor and out side of under carriage. But you could pit it out the tent door, it is only 5 inches round. It cools my rv down a lot, and I no longer have to heat with as, I have electric and I save a lot on propane now, a hole lot.

if you are in the market for a tent check this one out.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00632846000P?sid=ISx20070515x00001a&psid=37x805211

This is the one we have....we originally had it under the jeep brand...lasted us 10 years...recently bought this version two years ago.

You'll have plenty of room!... don't let the size of it intimidate you....we have ours up in about 15 minutes.

We do just about all our camping on the shores of Lake Erie...we had a Wenzel...it survived one storm. This tent handles strong storms with no problem...all metal frame. The only spring poles are to hold the arch shape on the windows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter