TEMPORARY Refrigerator Removal from WDW Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably the reason. If a refrigerator caught fire, and they determined there was a problem with the model or the way they were installed, they would have to remove all of them immediately. Otherwise the company would be negligent in allowing a dangerous situation to exist. If this is the case, I commend Disney with making a decision that keeps their guests safe. (I would love free refillable mugs, but I doubt if that will happen. :))

The only weird thing there is, the fire was a month ago. 4 weeks is not an immediate response to a dangerous situation. Maybe it got caught up in legal. :rotfl:

Even more weird, is the report there are people in rooms with running fridges. When did this fridge swapout actually start? Maybe I'm assuming this is just starting now because the date of this post, but maybe it was actually going on for a few weeks already?

I just read on the Disney Travel Agents website that refrigerators are only being removed from unoccupied rooms at this time. So, if anyone is currently at Disney and has food/drinks in the refrigerator, they don't have to worry about things being removed.

Even more weird, is the report there are people in rooms with running fridges. When did this fridge swapout actually start? Maybe I'm assuming this is just starting now because the date of this post, but maybe it was actually going on for a few weeks already?

It was just posted this morning on the Disney Travel Agents website.

My husbands solution is to bring our own mini fridge since we will be driving anyway. I think he's crazy. Would they even allow that?

This stinks but I do understand the 4 months to replace them all. Think about how many rooms they are talking about and the limited time to get into a room to replace it.
Just to be safe I an packing an insulated bag to use for ice. So much easier than buying a cooler down there only to trash it because I can't take it on the plane. I can just use the bag for souvenirs on the trip home. Hehe.

I would think they could do it in parallel with housekeeping. If they can clean all those rooms in a day, they could technically replace all those fridges in a day (assuming they could get that many all at once) They would need to be willing to pay enough wages to cover the extra maintenance staff needed to do it of course, but the logistics really aren't that complicated. The supply of that many fridges is a little more comlicated and would have to be staged. But 4 months? I don't think so. I agree with the pp who said it's probably a CYA exercise. Set the bar low, makes it easier to overachieve.

I just read on the Disney Travel Agents website that refrigerators are only being removed from unoccupied rooms at this time. So, if anyone is currently at Disney and has food/drinks in the refrigerator, they don't have to worry about things being removed.

So I guess the fridges are safe enough for people already there, just not for those arriving in the coming weeks?:lmao:

Same here! We're planning on the Poly, and a deluxe room should include a fridge IMO.

Two Thumbs Up from me. I mean we stay at a Hilton, Marriot, etc.. and get a fridge for half or a 1/4 of the price.

not surprised we were at Port in June and the fridge sucked! it did not work right at all we called housekeeping and front desk it was not a major issues for us as we had a cooler with us we used. They had stated they were having issues with lots of the fridges then!.. and no cold water in tap is common everywhere in Fl in summer we live just outside Tampa and we cant get cold tap from april to oct!

We stayed at the Contemporary in a tower room last month. When we arrived, the refrigerator was not working. I called maintenance and the man came with a brand new one which also would not work in the cabinet. He ended up taking it out of the cabinet and placing it on the floor where it worked fine the entire week we were there. He said the fans don't circulate in the cabinet so it won't work. My brother had a room down the hall and he had to take his out of the cabinet also to make it work. The refrigerator was the exact same one we had when we stayed at AOA last December. I wonder if they bought this brand or type when they decided to put them in all the values and have figured out they won't work.

Just to clarify, we stayed in a Little Mermaid room at AOA.

Yep! When we went 5 years ago, we called maintenance to fix the fridge that was not keeping our milk & soy milk cold & my son's butter (dairy allergic), plus extra food for him. They replaced the fridge & it was still hot. My dh realized it was inside a cabinet & couldn't be ventilated. He took it out & put it between the tv/couch & it was cold. Our ice packs were even frozen in the back.

Perhaps they will put coolers for sale in the resort gift shops until the replacements are complete. This would be very helpful for those without cars. Hopefully not at jacked up prices!

Don't worry the coolers will cost us $39.99 & only be good for your stay at the current resort. If you resort hop, you will have to buy a new one at that resort!

I just talked to the IPO at the Poly and they said the refrigerators were not being removed or disconnected.

That would be a good thing but they do need to be ventilated. Maybe take a circular attachment piece (like you are drilling a hole to put in a door handle) to the back of the little counter where the coffee pot is to give it some ventilation.

My thoughts...the refrigerators being in the cabinets in the resorts causes them to not be very cold. It is often suggested to open the door of the cabinet in order to allow air to circulate which effectively cools the fridge. It would make sense to move the refrigerators to an area without a cabinet but there most likely isn't room to do so. Alternatively, Disney can opt to remove the door to the cabinets but that might not look attractive (holes where the screws were would need to be filled and retouched). I imagine they are ordering refrigerators that will work without the need for airflow or they will be replacing some of the furniture. elaw's post makes sense as to why Disney is recalling all the refrigerators at the same time. If they pose a fire hazard, Disney is being cautious. Otherwise, it would make more sense to replace a few at a time. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that the suites and the DVC resorts have the refrigerators in cabinets and that would be the reason they don't need to be replaced. Either that or they are different brands/models.

I cant imagine that it would take very long at all to replace the refrigerators at any given resort. I've questioned the refrigerator placement at the Poly since they did the last rehab in 2006. Every year we check in and have to call maintenance to bring a new fridge because the one currently in the room is not cooling properly. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put an appliance that requires ventilation into a small closed cabinet was nuts! Either way, I don't expect the fridge switch to take very long if it needs to be done at your resort of choice. I wouldn't panic at this point:thumbsup2

Yep & yep!

Unless, like me, you are only two weeks from check in. No, knowing in advance makes it livable. Not knowing could get messy though.

We have 3 weeks. I have a standby WT cooler-plastic bags, ice & the garbage can but I also have a soft sided cooler I can bring if needed plus one of my sisters is driving my other sister so if need be, I will be out buying Styrofoam coolers.

I just called there! No fridges...we are there in 19 days for 10 days...I guess we are going old fashion....ice in the garbage can and cooler..:confused3 Oh well we're gonna be at Disney....:cool1:

My dh & I used to do that all the time. It worked.

This!!

We had a problem at least 10 yrs ago with the fridge in our room and when maintenance came to look at it, he said that they have problems all the time with the fridges freezing up and not working properly because they are inside cabinets with no ventilation. So, why in the world would disney refurb rooms and make the same mistake again? I dont get it.

Hopefully Disney finds a way to replace them quickly. I don't see how they can possibly think it is ok to leave guests without a fridge and not telling them until they checkin. That is awful. Plus, if a whole resort does not have fridges, I would imagine the ice machines would be constantly empty from people filling coolers.

I think I will wake up early & hit the ice machine at about 5am.

That is good!

I just talked to the IPO at the Poly and they said the refrigerators were not being removed or disconnected.

I asked this question on the Disney TA blog, and got this reply directly from Disney:

All of the "standard" size mini-fridges, like those found in most Resort rooms, are being removed. That includes those at Disney's Polynesian Resort.

It's not FREE. They are a included in the cost for the room - as is the tv and dvd player, the number of beds etc etc. If they have to remove part of what you have paid for they need to offer an alternative for their PAYING guests!

Not impressed!! These fridge/cupboard designs have been a problem for years.

My point is that for years and years, there were not fridges in the rooms at Disney, unless you paid for it. Once they started including fridges, was there a $10/night bump in the room prices immediately to cover those costs? I doubt it.

I must be a miracle worker, because my family somehow managed to survive for years in Disney resorts with no refrigerators.

Return of the Fridge Swap!!!

That's what I was going to say!

I'm pretty sure there used to be Fridge Swaps on here all the time. But when nobody else mentioned it, I thought maybe I was wrong.

I guess I don't understand why so many people are quick to say, "oh, well, no big deal. Guess we'll have to pack a cooler and get ice every day. No biggie." AND they're putting down people who are upset by the lack of a refrigerator!

I'm sorry, but I find this totally unacceptable on Disney's part! I paid a lot of money for a room with a fridge. They were happy to take my money for it and now they're not giving me what I paid for. That's WRONG!!!! On top of that, they're not even letting people know until they're already checked in? What kind of customer service is that??? This is just beyond ridiculous. Would you accept this kind of treatment from anyone other than Disney?

So the fridge isn't a big deal? I also paid for a room with a TV, running water, two beds, pillows, towels, toiletries, chairs, places to hang my clothes, sinks, etc. Would you be just as happy if they took any of that away. Ooops, our pillows might be a hazard to little ones. Sorry, you can't have them. But we're sure you'll figure out a way to make do. Roll up your dirty clothes and sleep on them! I know you wanted running water in your room, but we're having issues with the plumbing. There's a nice well and pump right across the courtyard with buckets provided for your convenience. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I actually expect what I pay for. If they can leave the fridges in the rooms that are occupied, why can't they leave them until the exact day they're switching in the new ones? Why can't they notify everyone ahead of time? Why can't they make some offer to make up for the inconvenience? Anything????/

Okay, done venting now.... Just hoping I have a fridge at the end of August!

BC front desk confirmed switching of fridges. Might take several months. First come first serve on required ones, etc

And when I booked my room, it was understood there would be fridges

The $10 thing hold no water. That was then, this is now. The rooms have certainly gone up in pride many many times since fridges became standard. They have been paid for long ago

I guess I don't understand why so many people are quick to say, "oh, well, no big deal. Guess we'll have to pack a cooler and get ice every day. No biggie." AND they're putting down people who are upset by the lack of a refrigerator!

I'm sorry, but I find this totally unacceptable on Disney's part! I paid a lot of money for a room with a fridge. They were happy to take my money for it and now they're not giving me what I paid for. That's WRONG!!!! On top of that, they're not even letting people know until they're already checked in? What kind of customer service is that??? This is just beyond ridiculous. Would you accept this kind of treatment from anyone other than Disney?

So the fridge isn't a big deal? I also paid for a room with a TV, running water, two beds, pillows, towels, toiletries, chairs, places to hang my clothes, sinks, etc. Would you be just as happy if they took any of that away. Ooops, our pillows might be a hazard to little ones. Sorry, you can't have them. But we're sure you'll figure out a way to make do. Roll up your dirty clothes and sleep on them! I know you wanted running water in your room, but we're having issues with the plumbing. There's a nice well and pump right across the courtyard with buckets provided for your convenience. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I actually expect what I pay for. If they can leave the fridges in the rooms that are occupied, why can't they leave them until the exact day they're switching in the new ones? Why can't they notify everyone ahead of time? Why can't they make some offer to make up for the inconvenience? Anything????/

First of all, it's NOT a big deal. It's a temporary thing that Disney is fixing because they have to. Second of all, if you aren't going until late August, you can move off-property if you don't like it. Nobody is saying you have to keep your reservation as is.

That's what I was going to say!

I'm pretty sure there used to be Fridge Swaps on here all the time. But when nobody else mentioned it, I thought maybe I was wrong.

They went away when fridges were added to the values. There was no need for it anymore.

My husbands solution is to bring our own mini fridge since we will be driving anyway. I think he's crazy. Would they even allow that?

We drove to WDW in October, 2011 and brought our own mini refrigerator. We stayed at Pop Century.

And I think they need to compensate guests in some way for their inconvenience in not having a refrigerator. The room descriptions include a refrigerator and it is poor customer service to take them away and offer nothing to make up for the absence of an advertised amenity.

I must be a miracle worker, because my family somehow managed to survive for years in Disney resorts with no refrigerators.

I'm sure we can all "manage to survive" without our fridge. :rolleyes:But I can also manage to survive at home. I've paid to enjoy a stay at a resort and it was part of the package. Disney has messed up with this one and needs to rally and get it solved.

First of all, it's NOT a big deal. It's a temporary thing that Disney is fixing because they have to. Second of all, if you aren't going until late August, you can move off-property if you don't like it. Nobody is saying you have to keep your reservation as is.

Not having a fridge isn't a big deal. My family survived several trips with coolers and ice and made it through just fine.

Not getting what I paid for IS a big deal. Would you go anywhere else and not get what you paid for and say, "Oh, okay, no big deal. I did pay for it, but if you don't have it, that's okay." I have this funny expectation of getting what you agreed to give me when I paid you for it! Maybe that's just me....

And, yes, maybe I could switch, although I did just make my final payment to them! But the only way I even know about it is from being here. Isn't it Disney's responsibility to inform people that they're not going to get what they paid before---before they actually arrive?

I agree 100% that guests should be notified prior to arrival if the fridge isn't going to be there so that they have time to make plans, if a fridge is absolutely necessary.

Unless there is a medical need, which I know is often the case, it's a convenience, not a necessity. Do I like the convenience? Absolutely. Would I be annoyed if it wasn't there? Sure. Would I panic and worry and complain about it if it wasn't? Nope.

I haven't seen anyone putting down people that are unhappy about it, but absent a medical necessity, no, I don't see the big deal.

I'm a big picture kind of person, and this is something that would be a momentary annoyance, then I would go on with my vacation. It will make zero difference in my life if someone else lets the lack of a refrigerator ruin their vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter