TEMPORARY Refrigerator Removal from WDW Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, any news about Pop Century? Hope these are back in the rooms by our trip in October. If no FD, we were relying on having a fridge!

It won't be much help to have paid for a family room at AoA and have a microwave and sink for in room meals if you can't have a fridge to keep stuff cold! I feel the least Disney could do is try to notify people before they arrive. I know they have email addresses for most guests and snail mail for all guests!

I cant imagine that it would take very long at all to replace the refrigerators at any given resort. I've questioned the refrigerator placement at the Poly since they did the last rehab in 2006. Every year we check in and have to call maintenance to bring a new fridge because the one currently in the room is not cooling properly. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put an appliance that requires ventilation into a small closed cabinet was nuts! Either way, I don't expect the fridge switch to take very long if it needs to be done at your resort of choice. I wouldn't panic at this point:thumbsup2

For all of those concerned for medicine/insulin storage: the resorts have always had sufficient medical cooling equipment - technically, not refrigerators, they are more like shoe boxes that keep stuff inside cold.

Even when fridges were $7 (then $10) a day in the value resorts, they would provide these upon request, free of charge. Many hotels all over which do not specifically provide refrigerators maintain a stock of these for just such a purpose - nobody wants their guests' health to be at risk while staying there.

I have long marveled at how such a proficient set of Imagineers (engineering pros) as Disney keeps in its stables cannot figure out how to properly ventilate a simple refrigerator inside a cabinet. They design the cabinets, why can't they put holes or open backs in them? Or design them with louvered sides or doors? Or design them to remain doorless? It has boggled my mind for a long time.

Wow, any news about Pop Century? Hope these are back in the rooms by our trip in October. If no FD, we were relying on having a fridge!

I just called there! No fridges...we are there in 19 days for 10 days...I guess we are going old fashion....ice in the garbage can and cooler..:confused3 Oh well we're gonna be at Disney....:cool1:

No problem is there isn't, we'll have a car. We'll get a cooler from Walmart or something and fill with ice.

I read the post that it should be complete at POR by 7/31.

I don't trust information from CM's very much, though, so I sure hope that's correct.

However we are driving down and can easily bring a cooler we can replenish with ice. (We are "breakfast in the room" people!) An inconvenience, yes, but not the end of the world. Not so easy for those without a vehicle, so I hate that for others.

My major hope is that the Space Mtn refurb really is complete by early October... I have learned that you just never know with Disney.

I have long marveled at how such a proficient set of Imagineers (engineering pros) as Disney keeps in its stables cannot figure out how to properly ventilate a simple refrigerator inside a cabinet. They design the cabinets, why can't they put holes or open backs in them? Or design them with louvered sides or doors? Or design them to remain doorless? It has boggled my mind for a long time.

This!!

We had a problem at least 10 yrs ago with the fridge in our room and when maintenance came to look at it, he said that they have problems all the time with the fridges freezing up and not working properly because they are inside cabinets with no ventilation. So, why in the world would disney refurb rooms and make the same mistake again? I dont get it.

Hopefully Disney finds a way to replace them quickly. I don't see how they can possibly think it is ok to leave guests without a fridge and not telling them until they checkin. That is awful. Plus, if a whole resort does not have fridges, I would imagine the ice machines would be constantly empty from people filling coolers.

To the pp that asked about the villa frigs. They won't be affected since in the 1 bedroom villas and up there is a full size frig/freezer (just like in your kitchen at home). Thankfully we are staying in a 2 bedroom villa at the BC next month so I don't have to worry. They are probably saying 4 months since they have to have such a huge number it will probably take that long for them all to come in and they may have to do some work in each room to remove them from the cabinets since that is probably causing them to overheat and burn out. For those that don't have cars and use ME, I would try the Hess station by the BW or by DTD since they will probably stocking the good old Styrofoam coolers for people to purchase.

Oh wow, this is awful. Can't imagine for those who are there and have them removed and can't keep their food or drinks cold.

Our next trip is planned for almost exactly 4 months out so hopefully it will be resolved by then. We had an awful time with DS and quick service because of his allergies so buying/bringing food is going to be a must this time. No fridge would be a big problem.

Maybe there is really nothing wrong with the fridges.....

Disney is just getting ready for fast pass+ ....They've realized they are running out of attractions to offer, so now you can book your fridge for the day and time you want it 60 days in advance! :rotfl2:

How great is that!! :banana:

This is extremely unfortunate! I understand if there is a health/safety concern it needs to be addressed and I assume the risk must be pretty high for them to be taking this drastic a step.

What I don't get is...
1) Disney thinking that leaving a letter in your room is an acceptable form of notification. People booked and paid for a room that includes a fridge, they are changing the terms of that agreement, people should be notified ahead of time. This is a pretty easy one for them to do too, because it's basically all rooms. Generate a letter and/or email to all guests booked on days where no fridge we'll be available. Not that hard.

2) Although not the end of the world, no fridge is an inconvenience for many people. Disney is supposedly run with customer satisfication foremost in mind, there sould be compensation. A slight discount, or maybe for those who request a fridge and they can't accommodate should be given a free refill mug? I dunno something. That's two ideas in less than 10 seconds, I'm sure Disney management could brainstorm a few more.

3) 4 months to replace them all? I have to assume that's a supply issue since the physical work to install them definitely does not require that long. Hopefully over the next few days/weeks, they'll be able to nail down a better schedule based on supply and improve their communication out to guests planning trips in the next 4 months.

We're there at the end of August, so personally, if Disney haven't been proactive in contacting me, I'll put a call into the resort a week ahead and see what the status is. We do use the fridge, primarily for drinks, and I'll need to know if I have to add a cheap throw away cooler to my grocery list on my way to the resort.

It won't be much help to have paid for a family room at AoA and have a microwave and sink for in room meals if you can't have a fridge to keep stuff cold! I feel the least Disney could do is try to notify people before they arrive. I know they have email addresses for most guests and snail mail for all guests!

I called the art of animation front desk this morning and was told the family suites will not be affected only the little mermaid rooms

Maybe there is really nothing wrong with the fridges.....

Disney is just getting ready for fast pass+ ....They've realized they are running out of attractions to offer, so now you can book your fridge for the day and time you want it 60 days in advance! :rotfl2:

How great is that!! :banana:

We're sorry, you're not going to be able to keep drinks cold in your room. Don't worry, we left you a note.

Now would be a good time to remind you of our new super high tech resort mugs that know how to turn off when your money runs out!

:thumbsup2

Just checked with a friend who is currently staying at the Contemporary and their fridge is still in the room & plugged in...

I understand, I always just kind of chuckle when people want a discount for the absence of something that was free to begin with.

It's not FREE. They are a included in the cost for the room - as is the tv and dvd player, the number of beds etc etc. If they have to remove part of what you have paid for they need to offer an alternative for their PAYING guests!

Not impressed!! These fridge/cupboard designs have been a problem for years.

It's probably related to this http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3126730&highlight=grand+californian

There was an electrical fire in room 5322 of the Grand California Hotel last month ... The fridge apparently caught fire.

This is probably the reason. If a refrigerator caught fire, and they determined there was a problem with the model or the way they were installed, they would have to remove all of them immediately. Otherwise the company would be negligent in allowing a dangerous situation to exist. If this is the case, I commend Disney with making a decision that keeps their guests safe. (I would love free refillable mugs, but I doubt if that will happen. :))

This stinks but I do understand the 4 months to replace them all. Think about how many rooms they are talking about and the limited time to get into a room to replace it.
Just to be safe I an packing an insulated bag to use for ice. So much easier than buying a cooler down there only to trash it because I can't take it on the plane. I can just use the bag for souvenirs on the trip home. Hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter