• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TEMPORARY Refrigerator Removal from WDW Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
popcorn::

(I do feel for all those affected, but after reading about the fire, I would rather make do than risk smoke inhalation, losing my possessions or worse.)

Not having a fridge isn't a big deal. My family survived several trips with coolers and ice and made it through just fine.

Not getting what I paid for IS a big deal. Would you go anywhere else and not get what you paid for and say, "Oh, okay, no big deal. I did pay for it, but if you don't have it, that's okay." I have this funny expectation of getting what you agreed to give me when I paid you for it! Maybe that's just me....

And, yes, maybe I could switch, although I did just make my final payment to them! But the only way I even know about it is from being here. Isn't it Disney's responsibility to inform people that they're not going to get what they paid before---before they actually arrive?

I had a similar problem at POR a few years ago. Showed up, and the one amenity that made me book a moderate resort instead of a value (the pool slide) was closed for our whole trip. Without notice. I asked the manager why they didn't notify guests ahead of time, and he stated they didn't have to. I tried to explain that while they may not HAVE to, it sure would have been nice of them. According to that manager they can take away any amenity without notice. It is up to the guest to make sure each resort has what they want.

I think Disney views things like this the same way they view ride closures. Sometimes stuff happens, and they have to fix things. There are no guarantees every single thing will be operational for your trip. Apparently that holds true at the resorts too.

I know it. But that has been suggested here. I won't use ice buckets either. I have heard of people using them to catch vomit when someone in the room is sick. Shudder! :sick:

Yeah, that's why we always clean the bucket with Clorox wipes and use the plastic bag, or we use our own cooler.

popcorn::

(I do feel for all those affected, but after reading about the fire, I would rather make do than risk smoke inhalation, losing my possessions or worse.)

Agreed. If, however, they are taking an amenity away, they should make it up to the guest. It's not the guest's fault that Disney is having a problem with their refrigerators.

Agreed. If, however, they are taking an amenity away, they should make it up to the guest. It's not the guest's fault that Disney is having a problem with their refrigerators.

PP is right, this is exactly like an attraction being closed. Disney does not owe you anything!

I think they do owe a guest the amenities they advertised but even if they don't legally, it's poor customer service to just shrug their shoulders and tell you to use a cooler or a trash can instead of the refrigerator they advertised as a room amenity when you booked your room.

My husbands solution is to bring our own mini fridge since we will be driving anyway. I think he's crazy. Would they even allow that?

Before POP has fridges we took our own. Strapped it to a small luggage cart and rolled it in. Might have to go back to that September. No way there will be enough ice to fill all the coolers.

I'm staying at pop century in about 3 and a half weeks. I called disney twice and got the same answer. They said they will only be exchanging out the affected refrigerators in unoccupied guest rooms. So, we still will have refrigerators. They said once a room is unoccupied they will switch it out before giving the room to another guest. I sure hope that's true. If it's not i'll be a bit annoyed that disney didn't let me know ahead of time. I expect the room to have what it includes and everything to be functioning. I buy milk for cereal in the room for breakfast. I also like my bottled water cold in the heat of summer!

This is a relief. Hope it's true for the same reasons. My parents never splurged to stay on Dis property and I wanted this first trip as an on property Dis family to be perfect! I will be so disappointed if we don't have this amenity.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I think they do owe a guest the amenities they advertised but even if they don't legally, it's poor customer service to just shrug their shoulders and tell you to use a cooler or a trash can instead of the refrigerator they advertised as a room amenity when we booked our rooms.

Is that what Disney suggested? Using coolers or trash cans?

I don't think Disney has suggested any alternatives, except for those with medical necessity. Apparently, Disney isn't even planning to tell its guests that they won't have a refrigerator until the day they check in. Posters here have said that they will bring coolers or use the trash cans which appear to be the guest's only alternative if they want to keep food or drinks cold in the room.

I think they do owe a guest the amenities they advertised but even if they don't legally, it's poor customer service to just shrug their shoulders and tell you to use a cooler or a trash can instead of the refrigerator they advertised as a room amenity when we booked our rooms.
I think the most appropriate compensation was a PP's suggestion of refillable mugs per person. Or, if already included in a guest's package, perhaps something else along the same monetary value. Not that Disney WILL offer anything, it just seems appropriate IMHO.
Even so, for me, the fridge is an expected part of a hotel room. I'll book or not book based on it, and yes, I participated in a fridge swap when we were in ASMo before Disney added the "coolers" to the values. I am definitely not looking forward to potentially not having a fridge next week! And even a refillable mug won't help with leftovers. At least I'm driving down and can bring a cooler. I'm running a test of a 6 can plug in cooler I hadn't used for a few years. The thing is annoyingly noisy (while in the same room with it) but it seems to be working. Not sure yet whether I'll bring it along or fight the masses at the ice machine.

I don't think Disney has suggested any alternatives, except for those with medical necessity. Posters here have said that they will bring coolers or use the trash cans which appear to be the guest's only alternative if they want to keep food or drinks cold in the room.

Oh, got it. Based on your previous post, I would have agreed that shrugging and offering the trash can option would be bad customer service.

I believe they owe it to those that have reservations to notify them well in advance, and they owe it to those with medical needs to have fridges available. Other than that, I don't see this as being any different any compensation is due.

Us too...we're staying at CR. I feel the same way.

Another Poly dweller here. We arrive on 7/31 for 8 days. We fly and use DME. So no way to "stop on the way" to buy a cheap cooler as so many suggest/plan to do. We always bring some perishable snacks (we freeze them and pack them in our checked luggage so they're still cold when we get to the resort) for breakfast for our kids. It stinks that we can't plan to do that this time. I'm glad that we have 3 weeks notice to go with Plan B, but still not happy at all to not have a fridge during the HOT, HOT, HOT summer trip! :furious:

This can be a "budget buster" for families without the deluxe dining plan. Many families plan to eat breakfast in their room to save some money. If you aren't notified until you get there, the surprise expense of having to buy/pay for breakfast for the entire family can be significant.

They should at least tell guests before they arrive so they can plan accordingly.

I'm sure we can all "manage to survive" without our fridge. :rolleyes:But I can also manage to survive at home. I've paid to enjoy a stay at a resort and it was part of the package. Disney has messed up with this one and needs to rally and get it solved.

I so agree! Disney needs to fix this!

I guess I don't understand why so many people are quick to say, "oh, well, no big deal. Guess we'll have to pack a cooler and get ice every day. No biggie." AND they're putting down people who are upset by the lack of a refrigerator!

I'm sorry, but I find this totally unacceptable on Disney's part! I paid a lot of money for a room with a fridge. They were happy to take my money for it and now they're not giving me what I paid for. That's WRONG!!!! On top of that, they're not even letting people know until they're already checked in? What kind of customer service is that??? This is just beyond ridiculous. Would you accept this kind of treatment from anyone other than Disney?

So the fridge isn't a big deal? I also paid for a room with a TV, running water, two beds, pillows, towels, toiletries, chairs, places to hang my clothes, sinks, etc. Would you be just as happy if they took any of that away. Ooops, our pillows might be a hazard to little ones. Sorry, you can't have them. But we're sure you'll figure out a way to make do. Roll up your dirty clothes and sleep on them! I know you wanted running water in your room, but we're having issues with the plumbing. There's a nice well and pump right across the courtyard with buckets provided for your convenience. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I actually expect what I pay for. If they can leave the fridges in the rooms that are occupied, why can't they leave them until the exact day they're switching in the new ones? Why can't they notify everyone ahead of time? Why can't they make some offer to make up for the inconvenience? Anything????/

Okay, done venting now.... Just hoping I have a fridge at the end of August!

I totally agree with you! It's part of the room!

I'm staying at pop century in about 3 and a half weeks. I called disney twice and got the same answer. They said they will only be exchanging out the affected refrigerators in unoccupied guest rooms. So, we still will have refrigerators. They said once a room is unoccupied they will switch it out before giving the room to another guest. I sure hope that's true. If it's not i'll be a bit annoyed that disney didn't let me know ahead of time. I expect the room to have what it includes and everything to be functioning. I buy milk for cereal in the room for breakfast. I also like my bottled water cold in the heat of summer!

I wonder why they removed them from the "Amenities" list then? I sure hope you're right though!!

Holy Cow! We went last month. I had and have every trip had an order from Garden Grocer for perishable items. This trip we had a much stricter budget and went without the dining plan for the first time and we had at least one meal in the room each day. I cannot imagine getting to the resort and finding a letter in the room telling me they had to take the fridge away.

The least they could do is tell people ahead of time. How hard is that?

Not everyone reads this board or checks Disney’s blog. Can sending everyone with a reservation an email be any harder than making that blog post?

They have to do what they have to do, but IMHO, the only way this should be done with a letter in the room on arrival day is if the people are arriving within the next 3 days. Those grocery delivery services are not cheap.

I’m sorry for those who don’t read this board who will show up at their resort and get this surprise.

I called CBR this morning and they told me they are removing fridges from all resorts except the few that were listed??

We plan for breakfast in our room, it's much simpler with 2 small children. I'm not happy about this at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter