tell me about going to Disney solo

have you done it?
pro's?
con's?
would you do it again?
Yes. Three times. Five to eight days.
Pros: A different way to enjoy all the Disney bubble has to offer. Love the tours, eat when I want, like spa days. R and r. Just be me.
Cons: I enjoy trips with DH, family and friends too. Each has benefits. Solo: No cons come to mind at all other no one to split food with.
Again: No question.

EeeEeEEeeK, I've done two solo trips to Disney World and LOVE them! However, I'm not sure I'd want to do a solo trip while mask wearing and physical distancing is a thing. My family enjoys disney in the pedestrian way that one likes something novel occasionally. I, on the other hand, am obsessed and read blogs, watch videos, listen to the music of each land, and learn the history and stories of rides and lands, etc. My family is over my tour guide giddiness as I point and direct attention to each detail while reeling ecstatically about the inspiration and imagination poured into each minor detail of the parks. Plus with two teens, they and my husband prefer to sleep and move slowly at whatever resort we stay at.

PROs:
  • I get to do whatever I want and if they means move at a jog to each and every ride with a shorter wait, then I do it! If that means circling back around to the haunted mansion 4x in a row, I do it!
  • I love to people watch and this often leads to wonderful conversations with vloggers, international travelers, and families whose children allow me to experience the magic through their eyes (remember two teens whose eyes are generally stuck in the tops of their skulls).
  • With my large family I can't snag a rocking chair behind Sleepy Hollow but on my own I can eat my fruit and nutella waffle and rock off calories
  • I eat where I want, journal and read while I eat, and get to take in all the sights. I also get to try all the new items I've researched before the trip
  • I get to OVEREAT without hearing "you just had a snack 20 minutes ago! How are you still hungry?" which leads to my defensive, "it's not about hunger but experience and desire. What if they discontinue this?!" LOL
  • I really get to indulge in the sensory experience of the parks without the vigilance that I tend to have making certain my kids and husband are having fun (They don't demand or require this, it's just my personality type)
  • I can spend as much or as little time shopping as I'd like
  • Single riders can get on rides faster at times
  • I can have full on photos sessions with my snacks and drinks without being made fun of
  • Eaves dropping on conversations and realizing how normally abnormal my family is and how all families have their stuff. I enjoy other families!
  • Taking what I feel are artsy photos of rides, angles, and fireworks
  • Sitting on the astroturf and breathing in the sights and sounds
CONS (These would NEVER stop me from going alone!)
  • Not getting to share all my useless Disney Knowledge with anyone as we move through the parks
  • Not getting to elbow anyone in the ribs on Jungle Cruise each time the skipper cracks me up
  • Realizing that desire does not expand my stomach enough to try each food I'd wanted to eat and there's no one to share snacks with so I can fit more!
  • Sometimes at meals I want someone to talk to and make groaning sounds with when something is too good to be silent.
  • I do adore the faces and laughter of my family when they're truly enjoying themselves.
If you're someone who loves your own company and loves Disney a solo trip is a must, in my opinion.

have you done it?
pro's?
con's?
would you do it again?
Yes.
Pros- ability to do what I want and when...I love to plan...but I loved the flexibility when the plan did not work to change it.
cons-none for me...maybe if you are at a festival...being too full because there is no one to share snacks...
absolutely.

Okay - I agree - con - nobody to share your food with! There are so many things I want to eat at Disney - but when you can't share some it - you get too full. I just can't be a food waster and throw away part. So - I do have to pick and choose wisely in terms of what I decide to buy to eat. For example, I'm the person who eats 10% of an order of fries. My boyfriend loves fries - so he always gets them with a burger/sandwich. I just can't justify buying them solo because I just look at the huge pile of them and simply don't want more than a few. I'm a fry thief - and I admit it. Luckily - the boyfriend has adjusted to my thievery! :love2:

Have I done it? No. But, I will be in June. I travel a lot on my own. Hubby does not like to leave the ranch, and he does not fly. My longest jaunt alone was four days. I will be going for 7 in June. It is my 50th, and what better place to celebrate? I will be meeting up with family at some points along the way. One of my favorite things to do solo is pull up a bar stool and chat with my neighbors at the bar. Hopefully, in June I will be able to do this. I am not thrilled about riding alone. Some of my best quality family time was spent waiting in line for a ride- Flight of Passage, Escape from Gringotts at Universal gave me 3 hours of chit chat time with my teenage kids. I just have to change my mindset for my upcoming trip.

Have I done it? No. But, I will be in June. I travel a lot on my own. Hubby does not like to leave the ranch, and he does not fly. My longest jaunt alone was four days. I will be going for 7 in June. It is my 50th, and what better place to celebrate? I will be meeting up with family at some points along the way. One of my favorite things to do solo is pull up a bar stool and chat with my neighbors at the bar. Hopefully, in June I will be able to do this. I am not thrilled about riding alone. Some of my best quality family time was spent waiting in line for a ride- Flight of Passage, Escape from Gringotts at Universal gave me 3 hours of chit chat time with my teenage kids. I just have to change my mindset for my upcoming trip.

You are brave to "take the plunge" going solo for the first time in June!
Please write a report about your trip when you get back. I am very interested to see how it goes. I have never done a solo trip, but am thinking about it.

EeeEeEEeeK, I've done two solo trips to Disney World and LOVE them! However, I'm not sure I'd want to do a solo trip while mask wearing and physical distancing is a thing. My family enjoys disney in the pedestrian way that one likes something novel occasionally. I, on the other hand, am obsessed and read blogs, watch videos, listen to the music of each land, and learn the history and stories of rides and lands, etc. My family is over my tour guide giddiness as I point and direct attention to each detail while reeling ecstatically about the inspiration and imagination poured into each minor detail of the parks. Plus with two teens, they and my husband prefer to sleep and move slowly at whatever resort we stay at.

PROs:
  • I get to do whatever I want and if they means move at a jog to each and every ride with a shorter wait, then I do it! If that means circling back around to the haunted mansion 4x in a row, I do it!
  • I love to people watch and this often leads to wonderful conversations with vloggers, international travelers, and families whose children allow me to experience the magic through their eyes (remember two teens whose eyes are generally stuck in the tops of their skulls).
  • With my large family I can't snag a rocking chair behind Sleepy Hollow but on my own I can eat my fruit and nutella waffle and rock off calories
  • I eat where I want, journal and read while I eat, and get to take in all the sights. I also get to try all the new items I've researched before the trip
  • I get to OVEREAT without hearing "you just had a snack 20 minutes ago! How are you still hungry?" which leads to my defensive, "it's not about hunger but experience and desire. What if they discontinue this?!" LOL
  • I really get to indulge in the sensory experience of the parks without the vigilance that I tend to have making certain my kids and husband are having fun (They don't demand or require this, it's just my personality type)
  • I can spend as much or as little time shopping as I'd like
  • Single riders can get on rides faster at times
  • I can have full on photos sessions with my snacks and drinks without being made fun of
  • Eaves dropping on conversations and realizing how normally abnormal my family is and how all families have their stuff. I enjoy other families!
  • Taking what I feel are artsy photos of rides, angles, and fireworks
  • Sitting on the astroturf and breathing in the sights and sounds
CONS (These would NEVER stop me from going alone!)
  • Not getting to share all my useless Disney Knowledge with anyone as we move through the parks
  • Not getting to elbow anyone in the ribs on Jungle Cruise each time the skipper cracks me up
  • Realizing that desire does not expand my stomach enough to try each food I'd wanted to eat and there's no one to share snacks with so I can fit more!
  • Sometimes at meals I want someone to talk to and make groaning sounds with when something is too good to be silent.
  • I do adore the faces and laughter of my family when they're truly enjoying themselves.
If you're someone who loves your own company and loves Disney a solo trip is a must, in my opinion.

Agree with all of this, though my non-solo trips are just with my partner. I would legit end up committing homicide if I was forced to go anywhere in a large group, I hate it and am always the one splitting off to do my own thing.

The single rider thing is the BEST though...nothing beats the feeling of seeing a CM call down the line for “one? Party of one?” and waving my hand and jumping 50 or 60 groups ahead!

have you done it? 5 times!

pro's? You can get through the parks pretty quickly. You do what you want when you want. You can change plans in a moments notice without having to run it by someone else. You don't have to compromise or do something you'd prefer not to. Want to sleep in? Want to get up extra early? You are on your own schedule. You meet lots of cool people (though I anticipate this one will be tough during Covid/social distancing).

con's? Waiting in line and having no one to talk to. Time goes a bit slower. Bus rides with no one to chat with to pass the time. By the end of the week I am usually antsy for some social interaction with friends/family.

would you do it again? Got my *6th* solo trip booked in May

Have I done it? Yes! Twice recently
Pro's: can go to restaurants your picky eater group wouldn't go to (I ate at Spice Road Table twice last trip)
Con's: not being able to share joy in new experiences
Do it again? Of course!

Pros: you can follow your own schedule. If you want you can just roll out of bed and go to the park- no need to wait for others to get ready. You can decide what rides to ride and where to eat. And if you just want to stroll around or sit down to take in the moment you won't have to worry about "ruining"/slowing someone else's vacation. I sometimes just like to take the free boats between the resorts during the hot afternoon and I realize that's not everyone's ideal way to spend a Disney trip.

Cons: personally I feel a bit awkward going to table service restaurants alone. Thankfully several restaurants have lounges that still serve some of the same foods as the restaurants. If not on the menu, you can always ask, especially when it comes to appetizers and desserts. Also not being able to split the hotel bill with someone.

I would definitely visit solo again. However I think some Disney parks are more enjoyable visiting solo than others.

I LOVE going solo and will be solo at the Contemporary in just over two weeks. I've been making my way through the resorts and think this is solo trip number 12 or so. (Also have been to Disneyland and Disneyland Paris solo).

Primary pro is doing whatever I want as others have said.

One time I'm conscious of being solo is standing in line and being aware that I'm eavesdropping on people's conversations. Not that I want to be, or mind it, but I wonder if my neighbors feel they need to curtail their discussion because I overhear them. (Give me something interesting to listen too, people! :rotfl2:)

Not necessarily! I'm a smoker, so I've met a few cool people while in that area (at resorts and outside parks). Great place to be social.
I used to love to light up a cigar over by Thunder Mountain in MK and Italy in Epcot. Always ended up chatting with people.

At POFQ there is a great place to smoke. I met some great people smoking by the water there.

Interesting that at POP the majority of the people stopping by for a quick cig were not chatty - some not even friendly. Smoking a cigar I'm there longer than most.

But for the most part the smoking areas are a great place for a solo traveler to be social.

This thread got me so excited about going solo again (haven't been solo in almost two years) that I extended my upcoming stay in mid-April to add another night. I already had 5 day PHs just in case I didn't get RoTR on my HS day and booked HS for departure day. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that 3 full days, 1 definite half day and one possible morning just wasn't going to cut it. I was able to add another night to my Dolphin stay and now I can leave at whatever time in the morning I'm ready and not have to worry about that last day ticket. Bonus, an extra day to try to get something from every booth at F&G. Now my plans are drive down and arrive around 2, go to Epcot to eat at booths and maybe hop to HS just for the fun of it or stay at Epcot. Monday, AK then hop to Epcot. Tuesday, HS then hop to Epcot. Wens, MK then hop to Epcot, Thurs., HS then hop to whatever park I feel I need more of and Epcot. Heck, I might even do a 4 park day on Thursday, as long as I get some Epcot time in. Can you tell I love Epcot. I don't have any ADRs since I plan for most of my non-breakfast meals to be at booths but I will most likely either get a QS here or there or even make a last minute ADR somewhere or do a lounge somewhere. I'm sure Nomad Lounge will be one of those places and possible HBD because mama needs her Cobb Salad.

That is what is so cool about going solo. No plans.

Done lots of solo visits probably over 10 times. Done 4 since reopening. Number 5 is scheduled for end of April

Pros: doing whatever you want
Cons: if you aren’t used to doing stuff by yourself you could have problems with loneliness.

I have a friend who is a big Disney head who I text and send pictures from the parks when I’m there. I also play Pokémon go while at the parks. It helps to pass the time in line.

Interesting that at POP the majority of the people stopping by for a quick cig were not chatty - some not even friendly.

Yeah, it's hot or miss, just like outside the parks. Some times you strike up a great conversation, some times people just don't want to socialize. You'd figure everyone is there for about 3-5 minutes minimum, it would be a perfect time for a quick chat about a park or to ask a question about something at the park. Heck, back in November, since only the DVC properties were open, I ended up chatting about Disney parks and DVC with people at one of the Wilderness Lodge smoking areas.
I even added one person on Facebook.

I am back on the boards after a several year absence. I Went solo many years ago. Loved it. Gave me some good me time, and still no isolation.
I met some great people. Got to do what I wanted without worrying about no one else wanting to go. I went for 10 days..took one day off to hang around my hotel for the day (a Dis resort)
I am back because I am considering another trip. Have not decided if it would be solo or not..but I would do it again

have you done it?
pro's?
con's?
would you do it again?
I love solo trips (hence the name!)

Pros
Only schedule is mine.
Eat when and where I want to.
Only hit attractions I'm into.

Cons
Sometimes I don't like doing table service alone.
A wee bit afraid in the night.
Quickservice- no one there to save a table while I get food.

I can't wait for my next solo trip next January.

Speaking from my own experience here (and undoubtedly repeating a lot of what has already been shared)...

Pros:
- Setting my own schedule lets me do whatever weird things I want to do, whenever I feel like doing them. Ice cream sundae for breakfast? You bet. Riding Star Tours 6x in a row? Done it. Feel like camping out for the fireworks and just people watching/reading a book for a couple hours? Totally fine (as long as I remember to grab a snack first).
- Single rider lines often significantly cut down on wait times for rides, though I'm not sure if/when they'd bring them back after COVID.
- You have more opportunities to meet interesting people, which often doesn't happen when you're with family/friends/a partner. Granted, if you're an introvert (like me), this can be both a pro and con, but I've met some super lovely Disney fans while traveling alone!

Cons:
- Unless you're good at making friends with strangers, trying to snag a spot for the parades/fireworks can be both difficult and tiring (especially if you need to camp out early). Again, this is more of a pre-/post-COVID issue, but it's probably my least favorite thing about doing the parks solo.
- Dining alone is a bit awkward until you get used to it. For that reason, I usually bring my Kindle or do a bit of writing/phone scrolling during meals.
- The concept of traveling solo is sometimes a bit off-putting to strangers (and even cast members), and I've definitely dealt with some unsolicited "Aww, poor you" or "I could never do that / why would you do that to yourself / you're soooo brave to be here alone" comments when I mention it to people.

All that said, I've been going to Disneyland and Walt Disney World for the past six years (21 trips and counting) and can't wait for my next solo trip in December. If you haven't done it yet, maybe get your feet wet with a weekend trip or something — you might just fall in love with it, too.

I just don't understand. Since my wife and I divorced and my kids have their own families to deal with the last 20 years have been solo to WDW at least 12 times and once to Disneyland solo.

You asked what do you do different. In my mind I don't do anything different the only change is that it is just me with no one else to help make happy. I go to what I want to go to when I want to go to it.

People often express some discomfort about going to a restaurant alone. Frankly I don't know how to combat that thought. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with it. There is one thing that 100% of humans do and that is eat. There is nothing freaky about having a meal. Most people are to busy with their own lives so that they do not give a tinkers damn about what you are doing or even notice. That concern is quite normal for some reason that escapes me. Even if someone was being judgmental, I don't know them so why would I give a crap about anything they are thinking. Just makes no sense to me.

So just go, do what you want to do, ride what you want to ride, even if it is Dumbo and you are taking up a space of some kid. They will survive and get on the next turn around. We are all complete people we don't need someone else tagging along to make us complete. Go enjoy and stand in that line for Winnie the Pooh if you want. It is no ones business except your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter