Tasting Grapes Before Buying

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
Do you taste a grape before you buy a bag? I don’t. I feel like it’s stealing. But so often I’ll buy a bag and they are so sour. We end up throwing most of them away. ☹️ I’m so tempted to start tasting.

I do not taste test. I have found that if the grapes pull off easily from the stems, they are usually sweet. So I just try a few that way. I was in Costco a long time back and my husband took a grape off a bunch to taste it. A young employee loudly informed us that we were stealing and could be arrested. I was flabbergasted.

Do you taste a grape before you buy a bag? I don’t. I feel like it’s stealing. But so often I’ll buy a bag and they are so sour. We end up throwing most of them away. ☹ I’m so tempted to start tasting.
I got a sour bag last week too. Not sure what to do with them; they're even too tart to put in a salad. I don't taste in the store but not because I think it's super-terrible thing to do - just because I don't want to eat whatever grunge is on them before they're washed.

I used to, but I've just quit buying most grapes. I think seedless ones taste awful anyway. We grow seeded grapes in our yard, so it's feast or famine with them, but at least in August/September, we have all the grapes we can eat.

Pre-covid, yes, because I will buy 5-6 lbs so I always imagined the one grape would be covered but today I looked at the grapes wistfully and walked away.

Yes! They are too expensive to get a bad tasting bunch. I am always very germ concious but for some reason have always overlooked that for a grape taste. I don’t feel it is stealing. It’s 1-2 grapes. now if they were the size of bananas I’d probably feel differently.

No, I don't. For some reason, I feel like unwashed grapes are very dirty. I generally try to gently squeeze a few before I buy (I see a lot of others doing this also which is another reason I won't eat one). I like my grapes very crispy and crunchy and I can usually tell if they are going to be with a gentle touch. And if they have a nice blush on them.

For those who say they do taste test, how many do you try if the first bunch is too sour? Do you keep trying until you find the right bunch of grapes?

For those who say they do taste test, how many do you try if the first bunch is too sour? Do you keep trying until you find the right bunch of grapes?
That’s a good question. If the first grape is sour, I will usually try one from one other bag to see if it is sour. So, I guess two bunches is my max. I figure if two different bags are sour then the rest probably will be too.

I’ve never done that. I worked in a supermarket and we were taught that it is stealing. (If everyone does it, costs add up.) I do like my grapes crunchy and even tart, so I won’t buy ones that look soft. I can tell just by looking which are the ones I like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter