Tables in Wonderland vs AP Discounts

Disney_Princess83

DIS Veteran
Hello,

Does anyone know the break even point for TiW when factoring in the current AP discount available at some table service restaurants? The usual dining calculators don't factor in the current AP discount. We will have several characters meals, as well as Narcoossees, BoG, Boathouse, T-Rex, Teppen Edo and a few others.

Thank you!

When you say "break even point" are you referring to when you actually save $150 which is the cost of the TiW for an AP holder? The TiW discount is 20% off everything and adds 18% gratuity.

AP discount at nearly every restaurant that accepts it is 10% does not add the gratuity and does not include alcohol

Boathouse and T-Rex do not accept TiW and give an AP 10% on food and non-alcholic drinks
Teppan Edo does not accept TiW and only accepts AP discount at Lunch 10% food and non-alcoholic drinks

Character meals:

Lets try to compare apple to apples

CRT for a party of 3@$67/per adult dinner.

TiW: $160.80 plus tax $10.46 plus tip $36.18 = $207.44
AP : 180.90 plus tax $11.76 pus tip $30.66 = $211.56

So eventually it will add up

Hope this helps. BTW I always use TiW

From the Disney website:

Unless otherwise stated, discount excludes alcoholic beverages, applicable tax and gratuity, and is valid for the Passholder and up to three (3) Guests. Dining hours vary by location; inquire at time of booking. Locations and operating hours subject to change without notice.

1Discount is not valid on previous purchases or on purchases of ticket media, gift certificates, Disney Gift Cards, Park admission, Arcades, Disney Dollars, tobacco, alcohol, outdoor vending (e.g., in-Park balloon vendors, glow vendors), Add-a-Dollar (Wildlife Conservation Fund), postage stamps, rentals (e.g., strollers, ECV), personalization, Disney PhotoPass+, Disney PhotoPass® Online, Disney Store Online, framed Disney Dollars, Artist Sketch Program (original art), original or consignment art, newspapers/ periodicals, videos, DVDs, CDs, sundries, pantry/prepared foods, digital/video/disposable cameras, film, consumer electronics, Titleist® and Cobra® golf equipment, National branded fragrances, treatments and cosmetics, Lladró, Armani, Hummel, Swarovski® Crystal, Walt Disney Classics Collection, select collectible originals, select specialty items, handmade items, special orders, purchase-with-purchase offers, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and The Pirates League packages, shipping or taxes, or on phone, email, online or mail order purchases. A valid annual pass card and government-issued photo ID must be presented at time of purchase to receive discount. May not be combined with any other discount, offer, or promotion. Discount is for personal use only and may not be used to purchase merchandise with the intent to resell the merchandise.

If you plan on drinking refreshing adult beverages and know you are going to spend more than $750 on food and drink, TIW might make sense. If you aren't spending that much, you might want to just stick to your AP. Keep in mind neither give you discounts at all places. Mouseperks gives you a pretty good little table showing the different discounts. I've found it's not 100% accurate but pretty close. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mouseperks.mouseperksplus&hl=en

You need to choose your restaurants and estimate your costs if you want to get a realistic break-even. Last time I checked, there was only about a 20% overlap between the two discounts. Based on that, my finger-in-the-air estimate is $900 of food to break even, but that can vary widely based on your individual restaurant selection. Also, the TiW discounts alcohol, so that can make a big difference if you drink.

I have all the discounts TIW, DVC, Disney CC and AP, unless you are heavy drinkers I would skip the TIW. I figured when all things considered TIW saved us about $100.00 but costed us $150.00 to get. I probably won't get the TIW again. It will be one less thing to worry about at Disney!

Here is a excellent comparison link: http://allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf

Not to hijack the thread, but when you buy a TiW card does it have the same expiry date as your AP, no matter when you buy it, or does it run for one year from the purchase date? We're getting an AP in the spring but not planning to renew it, so could I wait until the AP is about to expire and then buy a TiW card to cover the next year?

Not to hijack the thread, but when you buy a TiW card does it have the same expiry date as your AP, no matter when you buy it, or does it run for one year from the purchase date? We're getting an AP in the spring but not planning to renew it, so could I wait until the AP is about to expire and then buy a TiW card to cover the next year?
TIW is a separate entity. The date on your AP has no bearing on the date of the TIW.

Hello,

Does anyone know the break even point for TiW when factoring in the current AP discount available at some table service restaurants? The usual dining calculators don't factor in the current AP discount. We will have several characters meals, as well as Narcoossees, BoG, Boathouse, T-Rex, Teppen Edo and a few others.

Thank you!

Without the AP discount, the break point for TIW is $750, that is, you need to spend $750 on food and beverages (excluding gratuities) eligible to TIW discount (which basically excludes most counter services and snacks) to recover the $150 TIW cost ($750 * 0,20 = $150).

Once you factor in the AP 10% discount, we could say the breaking point is theoretically between $750 and $1500, depending how much of your expenses are going to food and beverages covered or not covered by the AP discount, but covered by TIW. More items covered by both discounts you buy, closer to $1500 is the breaking point. Once again, these amounts exclude most counter services and snacks because they are not covered by TIW.

For 2018, with the decrease in the AP discount, the TIW card may become more favorable again. It really depends on where you are planning to eat as not all restaurants are on both cards. If you have drinks or visits the lounges, the TIW benefits you here. The TIW card also covers valet parking which is a nice perk. Without the card, we would self park instead of paying the money for valet parking, but comparing options you should consider it.
The TIW also automatically adds an 18% tip.
we also time the purchase of our TIW card to cover 2-3 trips over the course of 13 months which makes offsetting the cost much easier.

This is one of those places where you have to do the math. Everyone's restaurant choices are different, so the benefit (or not) of TIW will be very family dependent. For example: I have AP and DVC discounts already. I'm about to take off on 2 weeks of Disney. I'll be traveling for part of that with another family, and I'll be covering their food costs so that we can all benefit from discounts. We drink, but not a lot. We'll be visiting several restaurants that don't take TIW. I'm also planning 2 more trips this year to squeeze the life out of our APs. Now, when the AP discounts were 20% the math said that I'd come out ahead with TIW, but only just barely. Now with the discount going back to 10% the savings will be more significant. But those determinations required an in depth, restaurant by restaurant, analysis. I used excel files.

We're a big family so the gratuity is always added to our party size. When we were smaller it was advantageous to just use the AP or DVC discount. Being a big family we rack up the TS dining costs quickly. You also need to look into where you plan to eat. Like others have said there are restaurants that accept AP and TIW, while others only accept certain ones at specific meal times.

I am glad I came across this again, we haven't gotten the TIW in a few years due to the cost increasing, and us doing fewer and fewer TS meals, plus the excellent AP discount in 2017, but I just ran a very crude calculation of the TS meals we have planned so far this year and it looks like the TIW card will save us a considerable amount of money this time around (even considering the AP and DVC discounts we already have). Now, I just need to remember to actually purchase it when I arrive on Wednesday, instead of skipping directly to the Epcot turnstiles!!!

Would there be any reason for a Solo traveler (non-FL Resident) to purchase the TiW? It sounds like it would be a big effort to reach the break-even point.

I think the break even point is $750 with TiW.

That is compared to no discount. It is not possible to state a specific break-even when comparing the two as there are so many variables: some places take TiW but not AP, Alcohol is covered by TiW but not AP, etc...

That said, it would fall somewhere between $750 (no discount) and $1500 (only eat at places that take AP and don't drink) assuming Disney doesn't run another 20% promotion like they did last year for the anniversary. There are also other perks that can reduce the break-even slightly.

Would there be any reason for a Solo traveler (non-FL Resident) to purchase the TiW? It sounds like it would be a big effort to reach the break-even point.

If a solo traveler spends that much on food and beverages in 13 months, then yes. I have one. I visit frequently though and it isn't that difficult unless you are happy with quick service restaurants.

I think it really depends on how often you are going to go. I did the math for my solo March and December trips when I plan on going to a lot of table service restaurants. Still didn't make financial sense even with 1-2 ADRs per day. If I had a group or lived closer then yeah, maybe it would work out. But for me it would have saved ~$80 vs the AP discounts while costing $150.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter