"Swapping" home resort points used for a reservation?

Tinkmom

DIS Veteran
Okay, let's see if I can ask this! :goodvibes

I have a use year with two resorts - AKV and BWV. I made two reservations, one at AKV at the 11-month window (obviously used AKV points) and another at HHI inside the 7-month window (used BWV points.)

Now it appears we will have to cancel the AKV reservation (which kills me, because it is hard-to-get) but I just realized that this reservation included some banked points. We will not have a chance to use these before the end of the use year.

Will there be any problems with me getting member services to cancel the AKV reservation and substitute those banked points on the reservation we will use? I would assume that would be OK, as there was no home resort point advantage to making that reservation, but thought I'd ask for others' experiences.

Thanks!

Since there was no home resort advantage to the HHI reservation, MS may be able to switch the banked points into that reservation. I had a similar situation a few years ago, and they were able to do it. But...as we all know, DVC policies change from time to time, and it may even depend upon the CM...you may need to get a supervisor, it is also possible that new software changes will not allow it.'

But it certainly does not hurt to ask.

If they're not willing/able to switch the points, check to see if the same villa type is available to be booked for your dates. If it is, you can cancel and rebook with the expiring points. If there's nothing available to be booked, you wouldn't want to do this, as there's a chance you could lose your booking to someone's waitlist.

I know that I have had points reallocated before, and it seems like it was simply a choice I made later in my use year when it worked better to shift to using poins from one resort instead of one initially used. As I hadn't needed/used the home resort "advantage" when I booked the reservation I was moving them to, it didn't seem to matter to MS.

It's been a while, though, so hopefully that hasn't changed.

When I called the first person didn't get it at AT ALL, and after first saying it was no problem, then told me that I now have points "in holding" :confused3 due to the reallocation. What?!

I asked for a supervisor and at first he didn't get it either (because the first person apparently just told him that I was modifying a reservation and was upset that I would have points in holding) but he quickly fixed it once I explained the situation. (It's fine to reallocate as long as you aren't abusing the home resort priority, but some of the reps don't quite understand how it works.)

Just glad it's handled! :banana:

I had something similar happen last week, and I'm still not certain if MS knew what they were talking about or if it's just me that doesn't have a clue.;) I booked at my home resort (BLT) at my 11 month window. I used banked points and my current UY points. At my 7 month mark, I called to try to switch to VB. I also had 52 VB points that I could use that hadn't been used yet.

So, when I called last week at my 7 month window, I found out that I couldn't get what I was wanting at VB. We were perfectly fine with staying at BLT, so I told the rep I would just stay where we were. In our conversation, I decided that I wanted to switch one of our 2 BR villas to MK view instead of LV, so the reservation then required me to use some of those 52 VB points that I had.

After thinking about it over night, I decided not to waste my points on a MK view and just take my chances with a LV. I called the next day, and LV was still available. I told the rep I'd like to switch back to save my points. When they put it back, she told me I would have points that would need to be used before the end of our UY and couldn't be banked again because they were already banked BLT points.:confused3 I told her I would like to use my VB points first and then my banked BLT points, but she said that since I had two different reservations (we have 2 two bedroom villas reserved) that I couldn't do that because the reservation I was changing happened to be reserved with banked BLT points. She said that when you make a reservation for more than one room at a time, they use all of your banked points first, which is what happened in this case, even if you are making the reservation for the rooms at the same time during the same phone call.

I just switched back to MK view since I know we won't be going again by Nov. 30th. I guess I need a DVC for Dummies book.:rotfl:

ETA: I also thought I should point out that both 2 BR LV and MK view were available when I made the changes. Would I have been better off to just cancel and rebook?

Susan

I had something similar happen last week, and I'm still not certain if MS knew what they were talking about or if it's just me that doesn't have a clue.;) I booked at my home resort (BLT) at my 11 month window. I used banked points and my current UY points. At my 7 month mark, I called to try to switch to VB. I also had 52 VB points that I could use that hadn't been used yet.

So, when I called last week at my 7 month window, I found out that I couldn't get what I was wanting at VB. We were perfectly fine with staying at BLT, so I told the rep I would just stay where we were. In our conversation, I decided that I wanted to switch one of our 2 BR villas to MK view instead of LV, so the reservation then required me to use some of those 52 VB points that I had.

After thinking about it over night, I decided not to waste my points on a MK view and just take my chances with a LV. I called the next day, and LV was still available. I told the rep I'd like to switch back to save my points. When they put it back, she told me I would have points that would need to be used before the end of our UY and couldn't be banked again because they were already banked BLT points.:confused3 I told her I would like to use my VB points first and then my banked BLT points, but she said that since I had two different reservations (we have 2 two bedroom villas reserved) that I couldn't do that because the reservation I was changing happened to be reserved with banked BLT points. She said that when you make a reservation for more than one room at a time, they use all of your banked points first, which is what happened in this case, even if you are making the reservation for the rooms at the same time during the same phone call.

I just switched back to MK view since I know we won't be going again by Nov. 30th. I guess I need a DVC for Dummies book.:rotfl:

ETA: I also thought I should point out that both 2 BR LV and MK view were available when I made the changes. Would I have been better off to just cancel and rebook?

Susan

I might try and do that, but just for the number of nights needed to use up your VB points.

So, I might call back, and change the MK view back to LV. Then, with the VB points that are left over, ask if any of the nights in the other reservation are still available, if they are, book that night with the VB points, and then cancel it out of the original reservation. It would be best if it was the first or last night...does this make sense?

Thanks, Sandi! It does make sense, but I think I'm just going to go with the flow and totally enjoy our MK view from BLT. It might be the only time we ever get to do that. My DD REALLY wants to watch the fireworks from our room, and she's taking two friends with her for this trip. She is almost 17, so we'll splurge this time. Who knows how many more vacations she will actually want to take with us?:confused3 Of course, my DH keeps reminding me that our children will likely always come home for a free vacation.:rotfl2:

Susan

We had an trip planned for May at BCV/AKV in a 1 bedroom. (not home resorts) I decided to shorten the BCV part by 2 days and use those points to book a studio at BLT in Dec. The number of points worked (70) but the CM said only 20 of the points were BLT points, we'd have to borrow points to book the room. I asked if couldn't the BLT points be exchanged with SSR points. After about 10 mins and "hmmm, let's see.....ok.....hmmm..." The CM said nope, you have to borrow points to book the room in Dec. Ok, thank you, bye

Called back again, asked CM all of the about and she said "sure" And two mins later it was done. We shorten the May trip, switched points, and booked a room in Dec.

So once again, if the answer doesn't seem right, CALL BACK.

Thanks, Sandi! It does make sense, but I think I'm just going to go with the flow and totally enjoy our MK view from BLT. It might be the only time we ever get to do that. My DD REALLY wants to watch the fireworks from our room, and she's taking two friends with her for this trip. She is almost 17, so we'll splurge this time. Who knows how many more vacations she will actually want to take with us?:confused3 Of course, my DH keeps reminding me that our children will likely always come home for a free vacation.:rotfl2:

Susan

I know you will love it! And, having guests will make it that much more enjoyable!!!

facebook twitter