Suppose they established a new tax...

…and no-one paid up? :teeth:
Well, I guess it would depend on what the penalties were for not paying up, and what the tax was for. If there was little penalty and the tax was for something stupid, like lining the pockets of a ruler instead of something good for the people being taxed, if enough people didn’t pay then perhaps the tax would be repealed.

These days, I don’t know if there would be enough people willing to band together against a tax, but since it was a situation like this that created our country, I can’t say it couldn’t happen.

Well, I guess it would depend on what the penalties were for not paying up, and what the tax was for. If there was little penalty and the tax was for something stupid, like lining the pockets of a ruler instead of something good for the people being taxed, if enough people didn’t pay then perhaps the tax would be repealed.

These days, I don’t know if there would be enough people willing to band together against a tax, but since it was a situation like this that created our country, I can’t say it couldn’t happen.
People in my community did just that last week--voted down a measure that would've significantly raised property taxes here. But this was something one could vote on.

Often there's no way to avoid a tax--it's taken out of your paycheck or added on at the point of purchase or taken out of your mortgage payment (for property taxes).

But, OP, I suppose the answer to your question is the Boston Tea Party!

Often there's no way to avoid a tax--it's taken out of your paycheck or added on at the point of purchase or taken out of your mortgage payment (for property taxes).

Right. Very few taxes most people just pay on their own…income tax if you’re self employed or property tax if you have no mortgage. Good luck not paying those.

They already have that, in most states in the US, it's called Use Tax. If you buy untaxed goods through mail order or the internet, but those items are taxable in your state, you are supposed to pay the tax on them at the end of the year. I'm not aware of a single individual that has ever done so. Not as much now that most online retailers charge the sales tax, but in the 2000's almost no one did. I remember purchasing goods from retailers that did not have a physical presence in my state just so that I wouldn't get charged the tax.

They already have that, in most states in the US, it's called Use Tax. If you buy untaxed goods through mail order or the internet, but those items are taxable in your state, you are supposed to pay the tax on them at the end of the year. I'm not aware of a single individual that has ever done so. Not as much now that most online retailers charge the sales tax, but in the 2000's almost no one did. I remember purchasing goods from retailers that did not have a physical presence in my state just so that I wouldn't get charged the tax.
I recall this as well, but I also recall that in New York State, you were forced to pay this tax when you filed your return. They offered an estimated amount if you didn't have actual information to give them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter