strollers on planes

buzzjellies

Earning My Ears
What does the airline do with strollers? Do I check it in w/ the luggage? What is the easiest thing?

If you need your stroller to get your child to the gate then put baby in stroller and wheel to gate. You will have to take the baby out at security and walk baby and you through. if the stroller can be folded up put it on the conveyor belt, otherwise they will have to hand check it which can sometime take a minute.

Once you get to the gate you will have to leave the stroller at the end of the jetway to be gate checked. You will need to carry the baby on the plane. You will be responsible for folding the stroller.

When you arrive at your destination your stroller will be waiting for you at the end of the jetway. Place baby in stroller and head to baggage claim. Don't forget your stroller at the jetway upon arrival. Many people think the stroller will be at baggage claim.

If you don't need the stroller to get to the gate you can check it at the ticket counters with all your other luggage and collect it at baggage claim with all the other luggage.

If you have to change planes in a connecting city, your stroller will meet you at the gate when the first plane lands. If your stroller is not there don't just go to the next plane or baggage claim. Sometimes it takes them a few minutes.

I have gotten off the planes at the very last seveal times and seen what appeared to be "lost" strollers. I assume they were left since all the kids were off the plane.

Check with the desk at your boarding gate and see if you need a claim ticket. I know last time we flew on Delta I was all the way to the agent to give her my tickets to head down the jetway and I had to go back to the desk for a claim ticket. Of course bye that time there was a man getting his boarding pass so I had to wait. Had I known I would have gotten one while we were waiting the 30-45 minutes to board. DH was not enjoying keeping the kids from going down without me.:rolleyes:

It is a painless process as long as it's done right.
;)

When checking in, tell the agent that you want to "gate check" your stroller. I've had some experiences where this agent has been able to tag my stroller, and others where I have had to check in at the gate to do it.

warning about strollers: you may want to bring a cheaper one than you usually use. my sister brought her good maclaren to orlando 2 years ago & somehow the airlines mangled/twisted the frame. the stroller was ruined. the good news is that the airline reimbursed her, but in the meanwhile she had to go thru the hastle of complaint, reimbursement, and then buying a new stroller. Also, reimbursement was difficult because her model was not available in FL (at least not by Orlando) & the airline did not believe the cost of the stroller until I fed-exed stroller receipt to them. now, she travels with a cheaper stroller & leaves the good one at home.

Also try to bring a stroller that is light and easy to fold. You will be doing a lot of folding, unfolding, and carrying it at WDW. We purchased a lightweight 15 pound stroller for our trip as I refused to haul around our normal 41 pound stroller at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter