Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

I wouldn’t worry about what others think. I’ve had my parenting attacked on here because I use a safety harness on my toddler. It's what some people do.

When I was a toddler, about 50 years ago, my folks bought something like that for me. Mom said I was too big to carry all the time and holding my hand made me fussy because my arm was constantly in that "up" position. I don't think they owned a stroller. They got "comments" from other people too. Its funny that as long as the harnesses have been around, many people say they have never seen one before.

Op: please ignore all of the perfect parents on this board with perfect children... You will find that everywhere. I Did the same thing as pp. we went to babies r us and my two sons sat in the stroller options to determine just which ones will work. I have a barely 7 year old and a 2 year old. My 7 year old is a competitive swimmer, but we will be there for 14 days and he is still just 7! Since all body types are different I recommend you try on what you can stroller wise, if you can get to a babies r us. Remember it is your vacation- do what you need to do to enjoy your trip! They didn't pay for it!!!

I am amazed at how all the kids on the DIS and skinny and active to the point of being competitive athletes, yet still can't manage to walk in a theme park.

Also, disagreeing that a healthy, skinny, competitive school-aged athlete does not need a stroller does not equate to "parent bashing."

No where else in the world, except for WDW, do you routinely see children over pre-school age in strollers, and this is mostly an American phenomenon. It's no wonder we are obese. Our kids are too lazy to even have fun.

I am amazed at how all the kids on the DIS and skinny and active to the point of being competitive athletes, yet still can't manage to walk in a theme park.

Also, disagreeing that a healthy, skinny, competitive school-aged athlete does not need a stroller does not equate to "parent bashing."

No where else in the world, except for WDW, do you routinely see children over pre-school age in strollers, and this is mostly an American phenomenon. It's no wonder we are obese. Our kids are too lazy to even have fun.

:thumbsup2 totally agree!!! Well said.

Hi...I'm sorry ppl were being rude too...and have found that with a lot of my questions as well! But more are helpful than not...that is why I keep coming back :) But I do have some insight for you....I am here now! And I have a Double city elite for my kids!! From Kingdom strollers actually...they are very easy to deal with and the stroller was here when it was suppose to be. We have three kids...one is almost four...and is 42" and weights about 40lbs...DH and I are trying to remember now...but we know he is close. Then we have a 6 year old that is very tall for her age (taller than any other girl in her class) and weights around 57 lbs....and they have fit just fine! It's been a life saver...and they have even fallen asleep in it on more than one occasion. No we don't look odd pushing them either...heck tomorrow is day 10 of disney parks...plus we have done three days of others....so if I could sit in it I would!! lol I would rather push them and have a place to store all our stuff than not have one. We also have an 8 year old that is at least 55" and weights around 77 lbs...and she will sit in it for little periods of time if her feet hurt...or its just too hot and she needs a break. So it's worked out great for us...we have said it to each other a dozen times that it was so worth the money. When I called and booked the stroller I talked to Matt and he suggested this one for our families needs...he was very helpful, prompt and friendly. It also comes with a parent console...that we have had loaded to the max our whole trip...a little cooler that fits on the bottom and rain gear that we have put up a few times....a couple for just in case moments when we headed for a long line and the sky looked ominous! Good luck and have a great trip.

This is great to know. We rented a City Elite single for our DD who is 48lbs and around 46". We have made the rule that she can only ride in it if we clearly know she's tired and needs a break. So, no riding in it while we're leaving the resort to head to the park :rotfl: Basically, it's there in case she needs it. We are not going to cut our day short and leave the park to head back to the resort for an afternoon break that Dh and I will most likely not need. If DD needs a break or a cat nap, the stroller will be a lifesaver to us.

I do find most of the disagreement posts in this thread as rude, harsh and pretty judgmental. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will say it again...I think most people assume that when someone posts about renting a stroller for an 'older' child, that the child will be riding in it leisurely while the adult does all the work. In our case, this is not true. My DD will be turning 6 on our trip next week. She is an active child and can go all day long. Seriously, the girl has more energy than I've ever had. She does have a tendency to go until she's overstimulated and becomes cranky and needs a break. Some people leave the park and go back to their resort when this happens with their child. Not us. That is too much trouble IMO. We're only there for 5 nights so we're making the best of it. So, we rented a stroller so DD can take a break or cat nap or eat a snack while we're still moving.

I do find most of the disagreement posts in this thread as rude, harsh and pretty judgmental. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will say it again...I think most people assume that when someone posts about renting a stroller for an 'older' child, that the child will be riding in it leisurely while the adult does all the work. In our case, this is not true. My DD will be turning 6 on our trip next week. She is an active child and can go all day long. Seriously, the girl has more energy than I've ever had. She does have a tendency to go until she's overstimulated and becomes cranky and needs a break. Some people leave the park and go back to their resort when this happens with their child. Not us. That is too much trouble IMO. We're only there for 5 nights so we're making the best of it. So, we rented a stroller so DD can take a break or cat nap or eat a snack while we're still moving.

..but you're making the "best of it" for you and not your child. If someone, regardless of age, is so exhausted that they are miserable, then it is time to call it a day. I don't see the fun in dragging around an over tired, cranky child, for the child or the parent, and the child is certainly not having any fun while asleep.

I am not one of the parents on here saying my kids are perfect athletic specimens. They aren't competitive anything. They are average kids. They can, and do, walk.

Here is what I have said before on the subject.

It is a vacation. It is an amusement park. It is meant to be fun. It is not the Bataan death march. If you are pushing someone to the point of dropping then it is either time to take a break and re-fuel or call it a day. It is also time to re-think your touring plan. The person being run into the ground is not getting the most out of their experience.

On the plus side, seems most posters here are trying to meet the needs of their children, first and foremost. When a child is tired at the parks, some families choose to meet that need by having a stroller to take a break in. Other families meet that need by taking a break in the park or in the hotel. Either way the child is being thought of and cared for, and ultimately how each family does that is up to them. Maybe some middle ground?

..but you're making the "best of it" for you and not your child. If someone, regardless of age, is so exhausted that they are miserable, then it is time to call it a day. I don't see the fun in dragging around an over tired, cranky child, for the child or the parent, and the child is certainly not having any fun while asleep.

I am not one of the parents on here saying my kids are perfect athletic specimens. They aren't competitive anything. They are average kids. They can, and do, walk.

It is a vacation. It is an amusement park. It is meant to be fun. It is not the Bataan death march. If you are pushing someone to the point of dropping then it is either time to take a break and re-fuel or call it a day. It is also time to re-think your touring plan. The person being run into the ground is not getting the most out of their experience.

If I could clearly tell it was time to go back to the resort, we would. Please don't assume that we are "running her into the ground" as you so put it. Just because a child gets cranky, doesn't mean parents should just change their entire plans. That's called allowing the child control you! My DD is 6. She can be cranky. I'm pretty sure it's the age. The stroller is there for times when DD is tired and either needs a cat nap or a snack or just to sit for a few minutes. We did the same when she was a few days shy of four. She never got to the point of needing to go back to the resort mid-day then so I'm sure she won't now at 6 years old. However, she will need a few breaks here and there, and I see nothing wrong with allowing her to sit in a stroller for those breaks. And you're right, it is a vacation. It's a time when families are together and should be having fun instead of being so judgmental about others decisions.

We have been to Disney several times so I know how hard it can be on a child walking around the park all day. In the past we have always taken our own Joovy sit and stand. But this year my kids are older and the front seat of the sit and stand just isn't an option for them. My DDs are 8yr (59 lbs and 52" tall) and 5yr (40lbs and 42" tall) I am considering renting from Kingdom Strollers because of the better price and more comfort compared to the strollers in the parks.
However, I am wondering if the Double City Elite will have enough leg room. By looking at the photo it seems like there isn't much room for their legs. The foot rest seems really close to the seat. The Mini GT, however, looks to have more leg room than the Elite. The foot rest appears to be lower down for more room for their legs.
Has anyone seen these in person before to make this comparison for me? :confused:

I am really not looking forward to hauling this big double stroller on and off the buses, but I am guessing this is my only option. Renting in the parks just seems to be silly to pay more money for a less comfortable stroller. But then again I am a little worried that these Baby Joggers will look like a "baby stroller" for my eight year old. She won't mind what she rides in as long as she is comfortable. My eight year old is a big complainer when it comes to being tired and uncomfortable!

Okay, for this. Both of the strollers mentioned have a maximum weight capacity of 100 lbs. You are at the capacity. Neither list a height, but I know from having a child 10" shorter than the OP's, that her older child will, likely, be too tall for any stroller.

On the plus side, seems most posters here are trying to meet the needs of their children, first and foremost. When a child is tired at the parks, some families choose to meet that need by having a stroller to take a break in. Other families meet that need by taking a break in the park or in the hotel. Either way the child is being thought of and cared for, and ultimately how each family does that is up to them. Maybe some middle ground?

I really don't care if another parent chooses to push 100 lbs of kid around an amusement park, it's not my back. But, understand this is a message board, and people have opinions. Some people are of the opinion that an 8 year old, healthy child needs a stroller, some are not. I can only go on my experience, my kids, who are not perfect physical specimens did not need a stroller after the age of 4. As a matter of fact, my daughter, who was 3 last year, rarely used the stroller. I just find it odd that so many parents brag about how physically fit their children are, yet these physically fit kids can't walk an amusement park.

I do find most of the disagreement posts in this thread as rude, harsh and pretty judgmental. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will say it again...I think most people assume that when someone posts about renting a stroller for an 'older' child, that the child will be riding in it leisurely while the adult does all the work. In our case, this is not true. My DD will be turning 6 on our trip next week. She is an active child and can go all day long. Seriously, the girl has more energy than I've ever had. She does have a tendency to go until she's overstimulated and becomes cranky and needs a break. Some people leave the park and go back to their resort when this happens with their child. Not us. That is too much trouble IMO. We're only there for 5 nights so we're making the best of it. So, we rented a stroller so DD can take a break or cat nap or eat a snack while we're still moving.[/QUOTE]
If I could clearly tell it was time to go back to the resort, we would. Please don't assume that we are "running her into the ground" as you so put it. Just because a child gets cranky, doesn't mean parents should just change their entire plans. That's called allowing the child control you! My DD is 6. She can be cranky. I'm pretty sure it's the age. The stroller is there for times when DD is tired and either needs a cat nap or a snack or just to sit for a few minutes. We did the same when she was a few days shy of four. She never got to the point of needing to go back to the resort mid-day then so I'm sure she won't now at 6 years old. However, she will need a few breaks here and there, and I see nothing wrong with allowing her to sit in a stroller for those breaks. And you're right, it is a vacation. It's a time when families are together and should be having fun instead of being so judgmental about others decisions.
[QUOTE=DW2010;46279288

I was only going on what you described originally. You said she goes until she is over-tired and cranky. I would think that if anyone, of any age is physically and mentally exhausted, then it is time to call it a day. Or I can say it would be in my family. I also think that there are many ways to get a few minutes of rest. Sit on a bench, have a snack, see a show, ride the train, or the people mover. ETC.

Again, like I said earlier, I can go on my kids, and my experience with my kids. None of them are perfect physical specimens, none of them are any type of competitive athlete, yet they still didn't need a stroller past the age of 4.

The only time my kids ever complained was when they were told they had to leave the park, and then mostly they complained because they had to leave the park.

One thing I know, I am not pushing the kids around in a stroller so that they are well rested and I'm exhausted and then they want to keep me up half the night. At the end of the day we are ALL tired, and we ALL sleep well.

I really don't care if another parent chooses to push 100 lbs of kid around an amusement park, it's not my back. But, understand this is a message board, and people have opinions. Some people are of the opinion that an 8 year old, healthy child needs a stroller, some are not. I can only go on my experience, my kids, who are not perfect physical specimens did not need a stroller after the age of 4. As a matter of fact, my daughter, who was 3 last year, rarely used the stroller. I just find it odd that so many parents brag about how physically fit their children are, yet these physically fit kids can't walk an amusement park.

People are entitled to have opinions, but they are not entitled to be rude and harsh and deliver that opinion in a way as to make someone feel bad about themselves or their parenting decisions. We should be treating each other with respect.

Oh, and I found this on the Kingdom Stroller website about the City Elite Double: The City Elite Double™ has a weight capacity of 100lbs and is good for children up to 50" tall. :thumbsup2

People are entitled to have opinions, but they are not entitled to be rude and harsh and deliver that opinion in a way as to make someone feel bad about themselves or their parenting decisions. We should be treating each other with respect.

Oh, and I found this on the Kingdom Stroller website about the City Elite Double: The City Elite Double™ has a weight capacity of 100lbs and is good for children up to 50" tall. :thumbsup2

Okay, so that won't work for the OP.

She will probably need a special needs stroller.

agree

+1

If you know your kid gets overtired and cranky, then don't wait for the meltdown, plan for a rest break. Really, it's not that complicated. And I don't see a whole lot of people being mean or judgemental--just offering alternate ideas. I think the OP is way too defensive because her choice is out of the mainstream.

The capacity is 100lbs for the stroller, not the seat. Her kids (OP) would be over the 100lb.

Its a conundrum. ;)

There really isn't any middle ground though. A 4 1/2 ft, healthy 4th grader should have no problem walking around WDW for a day. They should be able to communicate to their parents that they are tired and need a rest or they want to go to bed, without acting like a baby or pre-schooler and having a whiny tantrum, and without having to be pushed around in a stroller. And a parent should be listening and taking those breaks or cutting their day short.

I try not to judge, but like I said my ds is 8, he weighs 54lbs and is just a little bit shorter than the OPs child. On top of me not wanting to push him around for my own selfish reasons, I couldn't imagine subjecting him to that, he isn't a baby, he's a 4th grader and is capable of acting like one, if given the chance.
If the OP isn't willing to hear that there are parents out there who think sticking an 8 year old in a stroller is just wrong, then she shouldn't be putting her dilemma out on a public message board where people are free to share their opinions. And disagreeing with her does not equal rude ;)

If the OP isn't willing to hear that there are parents out there who think sticking an 8 year old in a stroller is just wrong, then she shouldn't be putting her dilemma out on a public message board where people are free to share their opinions. And disagreeing with her does not equal rude ;)

I agree with everything you've said ~ especially the bolded. :)

I haven't read the other posts, but I have a 9 year old with special needs and she's been too big for "regular" strollers for a while. She's fine without anything for day to day activities, but she has endurance issues, so we're looking into getting an adaptive stroller for her. Even my typical 4 year old, who is big for his age is getting big for a regular stroller. My plan for our 4 kids, ages 9, 7, 4 and 2 is to get an adaptive stroller for the 9 year old and probably take a double (I'm still deciding on the specifics) for the 2 year old and letting the 7 year old and 4 year old take turns if they need to ride.

Another option might be to get a single stroller that can hold a bigger kid (easier to find than a double) and get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lascal-5-26300-BuggyBoard-Maxi-Black/dp/B000R85BKY

I'm not sure, but it might be because that isn’t what she asked to begin with. There are plenty of threads where an OP would ask, “My child is (whatever age over 4) do we need a stroller?”

This wasn't the case here. The OP just asked for a comparison between strollers she was considering using.

Looking at her post count, she probably just wasn't prepared for how threads like this tend to go.

I think when your child gets so big that you have to look at adaptive strollers for special needs children it out to tell you something........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter