Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

Hannathy said:
I think when your child gets so big that you have to look at adaptive strollers for special needs children it out to tell you something........

It's weird. I'm fairly new to the dis board, and thought it was around to help people plan their Disney trips and give info. More than often though, I'm seeing people post things that seem like they are intentionally just trying to make others feel bad. I get that everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but there is a kind way to state opinions.

It's weird. I'm fairly new to the dis board, and thought it was around to help people plan their Disney trips and give info. More than often though, I'm seeing people post things that seem like they are intentionally just trying to make others feel bad. I get that everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but there is a kind way to state opinions.

At the same time some people start threads that intentionally wreak havoc.:stir: You have to know if you post something about carting your 8 year old in a stroller you're going to have some helpful answers along with some annoyed opinions. It's a public forum. Of course the more rediculous the question gets the more annoyed answers you're going to get. For example if the thread title was "Stroller for a 13 year old...which one?" you would attract more of the flamers than helpers. It's the chances you take when posting.

I'm not sure, but it might be because that isn’t what she asked to begin with. There are plenty of threads where an OP would ask, “My child is (whatever age over 4) do we need a stroller?”

This wasn't the case here. The OP just asked for a comparison between strollers she was considering using.

Looking at her post count, she probably just wasn't prepared for how threads like this tend to go.

Well, in that case, neither of the strollers she is looking at are equipped to handle children of that weight and height. The combined weight of her children is too heavy. The 52" height of her one son is too tall.

Other than adaptive strollers for children with special needs there doesn't seem to be any strollers on the market that are made to carry average sized 4th graders.

Now, because there aren't strollers available for that size child, the OP can either try to rent a special needs stroller, or can prepare her child to walk.

mad madam mim78 said:
At the same time some people start threads that intentionally wreak havoc.:stir: You have to know if you post something about carting your 8 year old in a stroller you're going to have some helpful answers along with some annoyed opinions. It's a public forum. Of course the more rediculous the question gets the more annoyed answers you're going to get. For example if the thread title was "Stroller for a 13 year old...which one?" you would attract more of the flamers than helpers. It's the chances you take when posting.

Good point.

I'm not sure, but it might be because that isn’t what she asked to begin with. There are plenty of threads where an OP would ask, “My child is (whatever age over 4) do we need a stroller?”

This wasn't the case here. The OP just asked for a comparison between strollers she was considering using.

Looking at her post count, she probably just wasn't prepared for how threads like this tend to go.

I think many, who have older kids, and have had 8 year olds before, are saying that there is no need for an 8 year old to be pushed in a stroller! These are not little kids - these are kids who do homework, ride bikes, rollerblade, walk to school, write essays, play many sports, etc. The thought of a person of this age in a vehicle designed for babies is like asking what size adult diapers should an 8 year old wear to WDW, in case he's having so much fun, and doesn't want to stop at the restroom.

I'd also vote for walking - because it is so liberating being without a stoller!

Someone upthread mentioned how much quicker it is... and it really is. No need to park it, hunt for it after it has been moved, find it in a crowd. And you really can move faster through the crowds without it. Usually, it is my youngest (8yo now, but hasn't been in a stroller at Disney for 3-4 years) who is moving the fastest.

I actually find the ones who tire quickest are the 10-14 yo's who have gone through the height growth spurt, but the muscle tone hasn't yet caught up.

As for the comments, I don't make them, because I understand that there may be un-obvious reasons for a stroller, but my kids (especially my youngest) will turn to me and say, "mom, that kid is waaaaay too old for a stroller". Unfortunately, they are still working on the 'quiet' voice and I'm usually in "we'll talk about it later in private" mode.

I'm also of the "let's not kill ourselves on the Bataan Death March" variety. So if they are tired, I usually am, also. I would rather leave happy and in a good mood, maybe missing something, then "do it all" and kill myself in the process. I believe we have rest of our lives to come back and do things again - and it can be made a higher priority next time.

Speaking of priorities... one of the things I've done is to ask the kids for their Top 5 rides or attractions and I plan so that we hit each kids' Top 5. I don't promise we'll do it all (other than priorities) and we may miss things, but we get to the priorities that we've agreed upon prior to coming. Helps with the "but we didn't see.... " crowd.

----------------
disclaimer: I'm trying not to be rude, yet express my opinion. This is no reflection of your parenting style, but my personal experience.

Given your height and weight parameters I definatly think you are going to physically struggle with a regular double stroller. Also, if you are renting I'm not sure what would happen if the stroller or you were damaged because you pushed it to it's weight limit or over. Remember if you are using for storage as well that will add weight.

Given the size of the child, I do think for the comfort and safety of the child and yourself you need to have a stroller that fits them. That means you are probably looking at a special needs stroller if you really feel you need one.

As a mother with a child who has a medical condition, I have to admit I am somewhat perplexed that parents of a child at that age and size without a special need that requires a stroller would consider the need to rent or buy one. Breaks are fairly easy to take if needed by sitting down on a bench, having a snack at a QS, etc.

Unfortunately with the good comes the negative. Or for some people their idea of being helpful is to criticize someone elses parenting decisions because their way is apparently the only "correct" way :confused3 I have been on the dis for over 6 years on and off and see this time and time again. It is a shame that newer members who are not familiar with how threads like these tend to go and come here asking an honest question, find themselves the target of such criticism..it is a bit harsh imho.

I hope the OP, if they have not run from the dis because of the negative responses, does what they feel best for their family and to make their trip to WDW as enjoyable as possible.

I was only going on what you described originally. You said she goes until she is over-tired and cranky. I would think that if anyone, of any age is physically and mentally exhausted, then it is time to call it a day. Or I can say it would be in my family. I also think that there are many ways to get a few minutes of rest. Sit on a bench, have a snack, see a show, ride the train, or the people mover. ETC.

Again, like I said earlier, I can go on my kids, and my experience with my kids. None of them are perfect physical specimens, none of them are any type of competitive athlete, yet they still didn't need a stroller past the age of 4.

The only time my kids ever complained was when they were told they had to leave the park, and then mostly they complained because they had to leave the park.

One thing I know, I am not pushing the kids around in a stroller so that they are well rested and I'm exhausted and then they want to keep me up half the night. At the end of the day we are ALL tired, and we ALL sleep well.

I apologize for not being more clear. When I stated that my DD tends to go until she's overstimulated, I just meant that's when we decide to take a break. She doesn't need to leave the park if she only needs a 15 minute break. And yes, a bench I guess could work, but in the end, we decided on renting a stroller. I guess we'll see how it goes next week since we're heading to Disney Monday :cool1:

Hi....welcome to the internet...where everyone has an opinion and you are a horrible person/parent/spouse/child/politician/employee/boss....for not agreeing

Its a conundrum. ;)

There really isn't any middle ground though. A 4 1/2 ft, healthy 4th grader should have no problem walking around WDW for a day. They should be able to communicate to their parents that they are tired and need a rest or they want to go to bed, without acting like a baby or pre-schooler and having a whiny tantrum, and without having to be pushed around in a stroller. And a parent should be listening and taking those breaks or cutting their day short.

I try not to judge, but like I said my ds is 8, he weighs 54lbs and is just a little bit shorter than the OPs child. On top of me not wanting to push him around for my own selfish reasons, I couldn't imagine subjecting him to that, he isn't a baby, he's a 4th grader and is capable of acting like one, if given the chance.
If the OP isn't willing to hear that there are parents out there who think sticking an 8 year old in a stroller is just wrong, then she shouldn't be putting her dilemma out on a public message board where people are free to share their opinions. And disagreeing with her does not equal rude ;)

agree..Anyone can do whatever they want.I just happen to disagree with putting an older ,healthy child in a stroller..An 8 yr old is MOST definitely capable ( barring any health or developmental issues) of walking Disney.My daughter is a small 8 yr old who can complain up a storm,but she knows Disney means walking and no whining and knows whats expected of her.

OP,
I felt I should chime in I only got through 3 pages of posts.
Do what you are comfortable with, I agree with maybe 1 stroller and alternate but at the end of the day you might end up carrying one child anyways. So that's tough.
When we went 2 years ago my daughter just turned 4 and son was 18months. We went with one bigger umbrella stroller, it was easy to fold and open with one hand . My son rode most of the time our daughter did great but we also had to take breaks in the middle of the day, yay for park hoppers!( We're going in Nov I'll be bringing that stroller with me, we're flying and it helps to get through the airport and two crowds this helps to keep track on the kids one sits the other holds on to my shirt or the handle of stroller.)
Our daughter never really used the stroller but would asked when we were waiting for the bus to pick us up!
We went with a large group my oldest nephew 12 at the time even asked to sit in the stroller, so I guess embarrassment disappears when fatigue kicks in..(this nephew is a Macho Man type to cool for school.)

Don't worry about the negative people with their way is best attitudes, because sooner or later they will be scratching their head on what to do or where did I go wrong? Lol...

OP,

Don't worry about the negative people with their way is best attitudes, because sooner or later they will be scratching their head on what to do or where did I go wrong? Lol...

I don't think anyone here is saying their way is best. It is really just common sense that an 8 year old doesn't belong in a stroller. There is a reason the OP is having difficulty finding one to fit a child that old/big, its because most people know it. Trust me, the people who do aren't going to be the ones wondering where did I go wrong ;)

I am amazed at how all the kids on the DIS and skinny and active to the point of being competitive athletes, yet still can't manage to walk in a theme park.

Also, disagreeing that a healthy, skinny, competitive school-aged athlete does not need a stroller does not equate to "parent bashing."

No where else in the world, except for WDW, do you routinely see children over pre-school age in strollers, and this is mostly an American phenomenon. It's no wonder we are obese. Our kids are too lazy to even have fun.

:thumbsup2 My now 9 year old soccer/basketball player with asthma walks the park every trip. I am by no means perfect nor am I bashing anyone else but my kids are more than capable of walking through Disney and other theme parks with no problems regardless of length of trip or 100 degree temps.

I agree with the mountain buggy. Moves like a dream with 1 hand, goes up to 100 lbs. I have rented the park strollers for my tiny 6 yr old, and once or twice, my 8 year old jumped in too. We don't go during the time of year where afternoon breaks would work (when the park closes at 8 pm?), and my kids have never napped a day in their lives. My little one always falls asleep in the stroller, and the rest of us get to watch wishes. There is no way I am going to miss every night of fireworks because I have one kid who needs to sleep earlier than everyone else! Plus, it works out just fine, since she also won't do any of the big rides, and we can easily do child swap once she is out!
We have never gotten any comments at all. And if I did, I would probably tell them to keep their comments to themself!
This year we won't bring one, but I will say the worst time for not having a stroller is that awful moment back at the resort, when you get off the bus with your sleeping big kid, and then have to carry them the mile back to your room! I will miss it then!;)

I don't think anyone here is saying their way is best. It is really just common sense that an 8 year old doesn't belong in a stroller. There is a reason the OP is having difficulty finding one to fit a child that old/big, its because most people know it. Trust me, the people who do aren't going to be the ones wondering where did I go wrong ;)

That is exactly what I was saying when I said:

I think when your child gets so big that you have to look at adaptive strollers for special needs children it out to tell you something........

common sense tells you an 8 yr old without certain special needs, (because not all special needs kids need one at 8 either), does not belong in a baby stroller. they aren't made for kids that old and big.

This year we won't bring one, but I will say the worst time for not having a stroller is that awful moment back at the resort, when you get off the bus with your sleeping big kid, and then have to carry them the mile back to your room! I will miss it then!;)

Why do you carry them? they can sleep walk back, mine always did. I never carried my kids past about 3 ever, between being very short and having a bad back I never carried them just said lets go and led them back by the arm. Kids only do what you let them do.

Another option is the BOB revolution, mine has a 70lb weight limit, although head space will be limited. DS1 was horsing around in it a few weeks ago and he had his knees up in the air crouched down to get in, but he still fits the weight limit.
Not commenting on whether this is right, just that it can be done. FWIW We will not be bringing a stroller for our 7.5 and 5 yo boys when we go in March, in fact we haven't travelled with a stroller since DS2 was 2 yrs old.

luvmy3 said:

I wasn't meaning just about the stroller only some ppl on here act like they know all, and the truth is we are all doing trial and error (sort of) Each child is different. I tell this to all my friends who seek advise. I am the first out of my friends to have children, what works for one will not work for the other. My DD since the age of 13 months did not need a stroller, at the age of 3.5 she was running the block with me, of course I had to go slower but I made her finish what she started. She is 6 now and on Saturdays she plays 1 soccer and 2 softball games, and still can do more! My DS3 not so much he has lots of energy when he wants to. Our DD like I said in a past post he walked the entire time we were there except when we were waiting. I hope we can leave the stroller at the resort instead of needing it for DS3, I plan on doing things at the kids pace not mine. But I will have the stroller if needed. I have to force him outside sometimes, other days you can get him inside... He's just on his own time I guess.
But I would never tell someone that they shouldn't do this or that, when it's regarding their kids, it's not my place, unless I see someone hurting a child.
Now if someone asked me if I were to use a stroller at the age 8 no i wouldn't, if they are too tired we will head back to the resort, I plan on going at the kids pace, if DS is too tired but DD isn't the resort has a pool or either myself or DH can stay at the park with DD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter