stroller for 7 y/o? opinions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DS is also 7 and we're playing it by ear each day. I have not mentioned to him that we will rent a stroller if he needs it, because that may just start the whining.

I have a feeling that the only day he'll want to ride is in Epcot and I'm prepared to spend a few dollars to get him through a long day if I need to do so. I know that there are some strollers that will fit a 7 year old, but unless you plan on using one everyday at the parks, it may just be easier to rent.

I know people will offer their opinions on your childs age and whether he/she should be in a stroller, but I know that when I'm at the parks, I've seen kids that are at least 10 years old in strollers. What it really comes down to is this: Just do whatever you have to do to ensure the best vacation possible for your family.Have a great trip!:goodvibes :goodvibes

I couldn't agree more.

My kids are lean, healthy & active. We train for Disney do miles of family walks in evenings months before WDW trips. That said, my dd6 gets tired. Average touring can add up to 5 miles a day, easy. Most of the time, my kids walk at WDW but having a small stroller is convenient and works for my family both at WDW and at the airport. I am glad to have the stroller at the end of the day for her to ride to bus stop. Most of the day in parks, the stroller is parked and holds our "stuff". During parades, its a convenient seat for her. I would rather my kids use energy enjoying the parks than struggle at all through multiple days of walking many miles. I will be bringing my fold-up stroller for one last trip before i get rid of it when youngest is 7. She does not ride in one at home but has no issue with it at WDW--a welcome respite. I tend to try to "live my life independent of the good opinion of other people". So if others want to judge and look with disgust at my 7yr old being pushed sometimes, so be it. I go during off/value seasons and have not had a problem with pushing it in crowds. My stroller quickly folds and have no issues getting on bus with it. DD is less than 50 pounds and my cheap fold-up--not quite umbrella type--is holding up fine for her. I might even leave it at WDW this year for another family since after trip at age 7 i think we'll be done with it.

Parents wondering: If you think you might need it at all --bring it or plan on renting if necessary. I'd rather bring my own & park it there and have it at the end of the day when you need it most to parking lot/monorail or bus than be without and a tired kid. Though we stick pretty close to our kids' wake/eat/sleep schedule/routine at WDW, my DD will always doze off in the stroller as we head back to resort. IMO, having an easy to fold-up stroller is TOTALLY worth bring until about age 6/7 for typical kids.

Surely if your child doesnt recoil at the thought of sitting in a stroller and it means they and you have an easier time through your vacation what does it matter?

:thumbsup2 I so agree!! I just don't understand all these judgemental opinions about the use of strollers. If you and your child agree that he/she should not be in a stroller, don't have one. If you think they do, get one. Jeesh! Why make such big deal out of if? It is no one's place to tell anyone what their family should do.

Making comments like "no healthy child should be in a stroller" is judgemental of other's decisions, regardless of how many ways you say its " just my opinion". What you feel is right for your child is just that for your child, it has nothing to do with anyone else's child. You know nothing of what that child does or does not do on a regular basis.

If I choose to rent a stroller for my 15 year old that is between me and wdw, no one else. All the OP wanted to know was should she rent or buy not whether she is going to stunt her child's mental growth by allowing him/her to ride in a stroller.

I rented one for my child, she was 8. When we wanted to hurry we did, and when we wanted to slow down we did. If she wanted to take a nap she could and if she wanted to cover up with a blanket (it was cold) she could. It had nothing to do with her health and everything to do with her comfort. Thats how I choose to do things with my child at wdw.

OP: just budget for the rental cost and rent one if your child needs it and if he/she doesn't you can use the extra money for a stuffed Mickey or something. I have never bought a stroller for a child that size but would think they would be expensive and you may not use it.

I'm a big proponent of do what's right for you and your kids and don't pay attention to what anyone else thinks.

I'm going to keep bringing our double jogging stroller to WDW until it cracks under our kids weight. We bought it for out first trip when our kids were 3 and 5 and will probably bring it this year when they are 6 and 8.

It's absolute heaven to let tired kids ride and catnap while we stroll around EPCOT in the evening. It's absolute heaven to not listen to kids complaining about how tired they are. And, we are not full day folks. We do half a day, go back to the condo for a break, and go back out. It's still tiring after a week of hiking all over WDW.

Wow, I just don't get the vitriol some posters are throwing around about children in strollers!

Personally, I don't see why anyone should care how old a child in a stroller is--or why that child is in it. OP, I think that the "play it by ear" strategy is a great one for your situation. Enjoy!

I guess I'm wondering for those who are so anti-stroller, do you use any assistive devices at all (as that is what a stroller is)?

In this respect, I guess you as adults walk everywhere - no cars, bicycles, boats, taxis, wagons, elevators, escalators, or public transport for you? Surely you must walk all around the WDW resort proper without taking shuttles, monorail or buses to each park or resort!

You also musn't use air conditioning in your homes, or, visit air conditioned places of business on hot days?

No computers, palm pilots, cell phones, digital cameras, etc?

How about assistive devices that adults like to partake in: do any of you drink coffee, alcohol or smoke, as these are assistive or "coping" devices (to use a previous poster's terminology) used daily by millions of people?

A stroller is an assistive device, that is used for a multitude of reasons, as are the above-mentioned items (although please don't think I'm saying that smoking or drinking are necessary, as I don't believe they are, but I used them as point of reference for the adults on here). For parents to make fun of, or allow their children to make fun of others who use these, or any other assistive devices, shows me that the "do as I say, and not as I do" mentality is alive and kicking in most parts.

To those who use strollers, good luck and happy stollering.

To those who do not, good luck and have a happy vacation, but please keep your judgmental and rude comments or stares to yourselves as they really serve no purpose but to put down those of us who have determined that this is best for our family. Not only that, it may harm a child's self esteem should your children laugh at them, or, they catch one of your rude glances. Children grow up way too fast in this day and age, and the hostility from some of you anti-stroller folks could play a part in that. Kids get tired, just like adults do, period, end of story, and kids need to be put into safe environments due to adult's ignorance or self-absorbed behaviours; therefore, usage of strollers is essential here as well.

Happy vacationing to all, Tiger

What bothers me are people thinking that strollers are for lazy people. I think it's the opposite. When we went to WDW last fall, we wanted to do everything. We used to double stroller as more of a wagon, to haul the kids (and our stuff) from one area to another, quickly. Heck, even on the DCL, we never once used the elevator - too much time, and taking the stairs is a great way to burn off all of those extra calories. :thumbsup2

If you want to stroll, take breaks, etc., fine - that would drive me nuts. Therefore, I rent a stroller so I don't overtax the little ones, getting in as much as possible.

I'm actually teaching mine reading comprehension. A careful examination of my posts will show that I have always been refering to healthy children.

Could you be more snarky? MY point is...How do you teach your kids to tell the difference between a healthy child and one with an invisible disablitly??

Why not just teach them not to judge anyone instead of "Hey kids...go ahead and judge that kid...I know for certain he's healthy so it's OK to ridicule him."

It is not a matter of "intolerance" nor is it a matter of what parents encourage. Children know ridiculous when they see it and if the Emperor is nekkie they're going to say so.

Six is not a "young baby". Six is a school aged child ready to learn some coping skills.

I disagree. My kids might have thought it ridiculous to see a 35-40 yr old man at the library using the children's computer--until I explained his mental impairment.

What bothers me are people thinking that strollers are for lazy people. I think it's the opposite. When we went to WDW last fall, we wanted to do everything. We used to double stroller as more of a wagon, to haul the kids (and our stuff) from one area to another, quickly. Heck, even on the DCL, we never once used the elevator - too much time, and taking the stairs is a great way to burn off all of those extra calories. :thumbsup2

If you want to stroll, take breaks, etc., fine - that would drive me nuts. Therefore, I rent a stroller so I don't overtax the little ones, getting in as much as possible.

See, I think strollers are for people like you - but I think that the way you do the parks is no longer enjoyable for us. We take longer trips so that we can stroll, take breaks, etc - and find that to be a more enjoyable way to see Disney. We also go fairly often, so we don't need to do EVERYTHING each trip. Neither way is right or wrong, its another variable to add to the "should I put my kid in a stroller."

Also, I think there is a big difference between touring in August and touring in Feburary - a family that does fine in Feburary may discover that their kids wilt in August and need a stroller.

For ME, all the reasons people want a stroller for are things I'm happy don't apply to us. We don't have special needs kids (all kids are precious, but I am thankful mine do not have disabilities), we don't commando, we don't travel when its really hot, my kids are only minor whiners, my kids are pretty fit and can keep up with us (they are actually far more fit than we are), we don't haul stuff through the parks, and we no longer have "little kids" (they were great when we had them, but I'm glad we've moved past toddlers and preschoolers). So perhaps its judgmental of me to look at someone with an older kid in a stroller and think "boy, I'm glad we don't have a seven year old in a stroller" - but I can't think of any reason to be envious of someone who does.

See, I think strollers are for people like you - but I think that the way you do the parks is no longer enjoyable for us. We take longer trips so that we can stroll, take breaks, etc - and find that to be a more enjoyable way to see Disney. We also go fairly often, so we don't need to do EVERYTHING each trip. Neither way is right or wrong, its another variable to add to the "should I put my kid in a stroller."

Also, I think there is a big difference between touring in August and touring in Feburary - a family that does fine in Feburary may discover that their kids wilt in August and need a stroller.

For ME, all the reasons people want a stroller for are things I'm happy don't apply to us. We don't have special needs kids (all kids are precious, but I am thankful mine do not have disabilities), we don't commando, we don't travel when its really hot, my kids are only minor whiners, my kids are pretty fit and can keep up with us (they are actually far more fit than we are), we don't haul stuff through the parks, and we no longer have "little kids" (they were great when we had them, but I'm glad we've moved past toddlers and preschoolers). So perhaps its judgmental of me to look at someone with an older kid in a stroller and think "boy, I'm glad we don't have a seven year old in a stroller" - but I can't think of any reason to be envious of someone who does.

Lucky for you you get to enjoy Disney so often and can take the time to see it at a slower pace. For me, it was 20 years since I've been and honestly, the cost was just too much for me to think that financially I'll be able to go again any time soon. Unfortunately, that means we tour commando if we want to see and do as much as time allows:sad2:

Are you also teaching your child how to judge, on site, if a person is healthy?

I thought the same thing. On a good day you would not know my oldest DD has autism. She'll be 9 on our next trip and if I think it will lessen the chance of melt down she'll get a double stroller.

OP you have to do what is right for your family. You also may remember that you may not want one for every park. MK, HS, mine usually like to walk, Epcot they want to ride. AK we've done both.

Denise in MI

My dd, who just turned 8, tried to fit herself into the double stroller last December before we went to WDW and it just wasn't happening. She is close to 70lbs and there is no way I could push her and her 45lb sister. I told her she had to walk, and we would go at her pace, and if she was tired, we would either sit down and rest or go back to the resort if she was tired. We had no problems at all over the week and she did tell me a few times that she was tired and wanted to go back to our resort. Let me just add that she is a lazy walker at home and did fine. I think all of that soccer running around helped to condition her.

Haven't read everything, but I would rent in your situation. My oldest son is 7 and we just went to WDW last month. He has Down syndrome, so does not have the stamina of a typical 7 year old. He is also small for his age. We use a sit n stand type stroller so my youngest can sit up front and my oldest can sit down on the bench at the back as needed. He really did well and didn't ride a whole lot. Mostly just when we were walking across the whole park we would get him to sit on the bench so we could walk a little faster. ;) We know by next trip he should be fine without one, but also we know we can rent one for him if needed.

Sandra

I'm a big proponent of do what's right for you and your kids and don't pay attention to what anyone else thinks.

I'm going to keep bringing our double jogging stroller to WDW until it cracks under our kids weight. We bought it for out first trip when our kids were 3 and 5 and will probably bring it this year when they are 6 and 8.

It's absolute heaven to let tired kids ride and catnap while we stroll around EPCOT in the evening. It's absolute heaven to not listen to kids complaining about how tired they are. And, we are not full day folks. We do half a day, go back to the condo for a break, and go back out. It's still tiring after a week of hiking all over WDW.

Amen!

Lucky for you you get to enjoy Disney so often and can take the time to see it at a slower pace. For me, it was 20 years since I've been and honestly, the cost was just too much for me to think that financially I'll be able to go again any time soon. Unfortunately, that means we tour commando if we want to see and do as much as time allows:sad2:

Yep, I am lucky. And I do understand why if you had less time, you'd commando. Like I understand that your kid being special needs might mean a stroller. Like I understand that if the only time you go is in August, you might need a stroller. But I see no reason to look at someone else's situation with an older child in a stroller and say "gee, I wish I was in your shoes."

You're becoming a little... high strung. I think you should consider a deep breath and maybe a nice cup of tea. Maybe some yoga. Yoga can be very soothing.

Yoga... Perhaps you yourself could benefit from some.
Are you familiar with the yogic greeting "namaste"?
One translation is "I celebrate the place in me where you and I are one"
Quite the opposite of sitting in judgement of others....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter