stroller for 7 y/o? opinions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? :confused3 Tiger

Only answering what I took from the previous comments....

Disney has no Bataan Death March...as in none of the non-stroller parents are saying they walk their children day break until the middle of the night, day after day...as had been somewhat suggested that 'stroller' parents do to themselves and use a stroller as to not do that to their children.

The other one I'm assuming she is saying that kids call things as they see them. As in they are not babies and therefore do not need a stroller.

And you know, I think people took a whole lot of offense to my very first post on this thread without really reading it. I went back and re-read it and I say nothing of bad parenting or an all encompassing *ALL* and *NEVER*. My first sentence is even telling her to rent if needed! ;)

I can only speak for myself but unless a family is making a scene and I happen to look over and notice...I have no idea what age children are riding in those strollers. I have no time or inclination to be that nosy about other people. When these threads come up I give my personal view and opinion. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in the parks go up to a family and give them a lecture on stroller usage..although that would make for an interesting tidbit in a trip report. :laughing:

I know there are a TON of stroller threads, but I really am still unsure what to do.
We have a 7-y/o that I know isn't going to be able to keep the pace all day.

Should we just rent while we are there or is there something we could buy that can handle a 7-y/o child?

Any opinions, comments, expierences would be helpful.

Thanks!!!!!!!

We were there in June and my 7 y/o was having asthma issues one day. We gave her medicine, but she was still not herself. She did not want to leave but could not keep walking in the heat. We did not bring a stroller with us, as I thought she outgrew it a few years ago.

Luckily, the double-stroller that Disney rents at MK was perfect for her! :lovestruc Those things are built strong, and they were so lightweight to push. And it gave me a place to stow my carry-all bag and our drinks. That stroller saved our day! So, if as the day goes along your 7 y/o gets tired, rent the Disney stroller. It sure beats leaving early!!:thumbsup2

You didnt give your opinion, you said that families who choose to go commando are wrong, you said it was just not acceptable. Going commando is our family choice

What does not wearing underwear have to do with strollers??:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Why would anyone expect their kid to go all day and part of the night for days on end? Isn't it FAR MORE PROBABLE that parents who are "non-stroller" for older children do not treat Disney as a Death March and schedule reasonable days. Just like older kids in strollers are not all out of shape whiny brats whose parents coddle them, all non-stroller kids are not being forced on unreasonable marches through Disney in the heat.

But what are you supposed to do if you have children of different ages with different walking abilities? Leave the smaller ones behind because they can't keep up? Make everyone go sit at the resort so that the smaller ones can rest? Call me crazy, but we like to do Disney as a family. And if the smallest one has to go in a stroller for us to accomplish that, then so be it.

But what are you supposed to do if you have children of different ages with different walking abilities? Leave the smaller ones behind because they can't keep up? Make everyone go sit at the resort so that the smaller ones can rest? Call me crazy, but we like to do Disney as a family. And if the smallest one has to go in a stroller for us to accomplish that, then so be it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but do you mean your 7+yr old cannot keep up with the rest of the family by the middle of the day? And they are the youngest of the group? By late night I'm sure the majority of early elementary kids are pretty tired and given an opportunity will zonk out.

I would think that if you are going so fast a healthy 6 or 7 year old cannot keep up you're probably missing stuff. Nobody is advocating leaving anyone behind (see previous post re: no Bataan Parade) ;) or making actual babies walk- we're talking about kids who are fully potty trained, tie their shoes and read. Yes, it may be slower than teens want to go, but that's part of having a family with more than one kid- compromises are needed. :)

Good for you! As for the whining, if it gets out of hand, tell him he can have a turn in the stroller, but you'll be taking pictures of him and showing them to his school friends. ;) Maybe it is regional but six year olds here would die laughing if their classmates were seen riding strollers like babies.

---------------------------

What a horrible thing to suggest that a parent do to their child!! Reminds me of what poor Michael Landon went through as a child when he was still having bed-wetting problems.. His mother would hang the sheets out of his bedroom window so all the neighborhood children could see them and laugh at him..

I've read some twisted things on the DIS, but this really takes the cake..:sad2:

It is not a matter of "intolerance" nor is it a matter of what parents encourage. Children know ridiculous when they see it and if the Emperor is nekkie they're going to say so.

Six is not a "young baby". Six is a school aged child ready to learn some coping skills.

Exactly what coping skills will she be learning? Why the hurry to have them grow up so soon? A six year old is still a baby to me. Life will come to them sooner than all of us want. They might not be a young baby they will tire out sooner than an adult or teenager... but I never knew there was this much hatred to children in strollers. When we go in April my DD will be almost 6 and there is NO WAY I wouldn't take a stroller for her or my DS3. I actually found a swap for a double stroller and besides the fact that when the parks get so packed I feel safer with them in the stroller. I don't have to worry about them getting seperated from me.

But like most people stated OP... do what is right for your family. Good luck and let us know how she made out.

---------------------------

What a horrible thing to suggest that a parent do to their child!! Reminds me of what poor Michael Landon went through as a child when he was still having bed-wetting problems.. His mother would hang the sheets out of his bedroom window so all the neighborhood children could see them and laugh at him..

I've read some twisted things on the DIS, but this really takes the cake..:sad2:

I'm sorry, either he's a baby and riding in the stroller is normal OR it is mean to let people know about it. You can't have it both ways.

Bedwetting is an uncontrollable physical response. Whining isn't.

I'm sorry, either he's a baby and riding in the stroller is normal OR it is mean to let people know about it. You can't have it both ways..
--------------------

Sorry - but I disagree.. I can't imagine a loving parent ever intentionally humiliating their child that way by using "photos".. It's sick..

If you think your child will tire out then rent the stroller. Heck- I wish someone would let me rest in one of those things in that heat!:laughing: I don't think you'll need one from home but if your child is small it might be cheaper to get an umbrella stroller of your own then pay for a weeklong rental. Have a great trip!

It is not a matter of "intolerance" nor is it a matter of what parents encourage. Children know ridiculous when they see it and if the Emperor is nekkie they're going to say so.

Six is not a "young baby". Six is a school aged child ready to learn some coping skills.

Is a child age 6 who has Autism & needs a stroller to insulate her from overstimulation "ridiculous"? How can you tell a child's individual needs just by looking? You can't! You're teaching your kids to be judgemental without facts...a better lesson might be to not judge others when you don't know what their story is...

Jeez, Can't we all just get along??!! Agree to Disagree??:confused3

In a nutshell, all kids are different. Some can walk all day in WDW. Some can't. Some can do it at 4 or 5. Some are older. Some parents choose to bring or rent a stroller, some decide not to. There are kids with medical issues that can't be seen and need a stroller, there are kids that just need a stroller because they are tired.
The poor woman asked about a stroller if her 7 year old needs one. This has blown into a parenting debate once again. Sorry, OP.

I know I should probably run and hide after posting this but, I think this has been beaten to death. We all have one thing in common, we do what is right for our family and our kids. It does not mean what I think is right for my kids, is right for someone else's.

Feel free to ignore me, lol, I just had to say it.:flower3: (By the way, this is not directed to one poster, just a public service announcement;) )

--------------------

Sorry - but I disagree.. I can't imagine a loving parent ever intentionally humiliating their child that way by using "photos".. It's sick..

So it's not humiliating for them to be out and about in a stroller in front of thousands of people but it is for there to be pictures of it?

But I love the way you justify the double standard with name calling. Very compelling.

Is a child age 6 who has Autism & needs a stroller to insulate her from overstimulation "ridiculous"? How can you tell a child's individual needs just by looking? You can't! You're teaching your kids to be judgemental without facts...a better lesson might be to not judge others when you don't know what their story is...

I'm actually teaching mine reading comprehension. A careful examination of my posts will show that I have always been refering to healthy children.

WOW
pretty heated stroller talk
we will be going in aug
dd3 and dd5 will take turns in the 1 stroller
If you dont want to be slowed down by your kids get strollers
but remember maybe your kids dont want to be rushed by thier parents

Surely if your child doesnt recoil at the thought of sitting in a stroller and it means they and you have an easier time through your vacation what does it matter?

:thumbsup2

I think it's really sad, and pretty disgusting, to hear a parent applaud/encourage/allow their child to judge someone without having any knowledge of circumstance or need. Shame, shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter