Stowaways onboard the 2016 EBPC - TR update 11/4, p.24

Great updates! I love reading about other people's experiences! It helps the countdown go by quicker until we are onboard again. Can't wait to do a Panama Canal cruise, aiming for 2019!

Thank you! :)

I'm hoping we'll be able to do another Panama Canal cruise in the future, it was fabulous!!!

Day 8, Sea Day

We had quite the lazy morning today. I finally woke up at 11:09 and mom woke up about 10-15 minutes later. We had put the alarm on for 8am but mom kept asking for 10 more minutes and I finally just turned it off. The night before all the clothes hadn’t been dry when I collected them from the laundry and I had them draped across every surface of the room. I woke mom up putting them away. Mom put on the morning show while we got ready, it was a really cute show.

We went down to Captain Gus’s signing around 12:15 and while we were waiting in line we saw Karin and Tom coming towards us. We thought they were coming for the Captain’s signing but they had either already gotten a signature or were going to get one at another time. They were heading to lunch at Tritons and invited us to join them. Absolutely! Signature obtained from the lovely captain we headed towards lunch, only to be waylaid by a CM offering a special Aulani Stitch pin if we went in to the DVC meeting. We couldn’t resist the pin!

I had a glass of sparkling apple juice

I always enjoy hearing about DVC, I’m totally in love with DVC, but I’m quite a bit annoyed that they’re still pushing the Polynesian villas. If they were already building the add-on at WL they should have shown us something about that instead of trying to push old news. But I digress, we all got a pin and a drink and then headed to lunch at Tritons.

We were very lucky to have our wonderful server Jose serving in Tritons that afternoon, he immediately said he’d take care of us.

Mom and I both had a ceasar salad

Mine without croutons

And then we both had a grilled cheese sandwich, mom’s with chips

Mine with fries and a gluten free bun

And a cute Mickey ketchup on the side

For dessert mom had a Mickey bar

And I had strawberry icecream

Of course we chatted nonstop, catching each other up on our recent adventures. After lunch Karin and Tom invited us upstairs to their room, they had some extra magnets and postcards that Tom had made. If you have read Karin’s TRs you know Tom is a genius with creating things. We were thrilled with our presents and continued chatting up in their room. We stayed for a bit and then headed out. I wanted to go to Palo to add us to their reservation for Pirate Night.

But there was no one at Palo yet so I just called Guest Services and took care of it that way.

Then down to the room and the magnets went right on the door, they’re the ones on the top

We got dressed in our bathing suits and headed back upstairs.

But when we got to the door it was raining outside!

Well, we were already in our bathing suits so out we went where we encountered poor Daisy Duck not wanting to get her feathers ruffled by the rain. Mom immediately went to her rescue!

And proceeded to have a cute little talk with her

Then to the Cove Café to find mom a treat, she was too quick before I got my photo!

I decided I was in the mood for a milkshake and they were happy to make me one. Only problem is they didn’t use any ice, just icecream mix, and it was way too rich. But it was also way too expensive to throw away so I sipped on it for what felt like hours…

We had planned to watch Inside Out on the Funnel Vision but the rain squashed those plans. We ended up going back to the room and watched The Princess and the Frog. Then down to Diversions to play a little Backgammon. This was a game we used to play loads of when I was younger but haven’t in a long time. On the way down mom was bragging that we didn’t even need to play, she knew she was going to win! However, neither of us could remember how to set up the board... We asked the CM that was there but they didn’t know. We tried to call Guest Services but the internet was down. Totally bizarre… they should have laminated instructions that stay at the game tables. Time got away from us quickly and before we knew it we needed to get up to the Buena Vista Theater to watch Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I think this was our third time watching it, each time on the ship. We had seen it on the Fantasy the year before. We had chosen to skip the show of the night to watch Star Wars, it was a broadway singer. I think this is one Karin and Tom went to and they said she was pretty good.

We stopped on Deck 5 in the Atrium to discuss movie viewing plans for the rest of the cruise. There were still a few we wanted to see and we were hoping we could fit them all in. I really like the new app they have because you can see the entertainment for all the days of the cruise. With a semblance of a plan worked out we then headed to the room to get ready for dinner.

We were very excited to see Buckets and Boards as the entertainment for the next night, we had seen them before and they were fabulous. Come to find out they were doing an adult show this evening after dinner and I was hoping we could catch that.

Then off to Parrot Cay we went. Stopped and chatted with Karin and Tom on the way to our table. We hadn’t been in this restaurant yet on this cruise because we had been to Palo dinner that night, so we had to hunt down our table. Turns out Karin and Tom would be at Palo brunch the next morning at 10am as well! Excellent, hopefully they would be able to seat us together.

One of our dining party was not there, she was not feeling well. Her boyfriend was out of sorts, just was a bit awkward.

Mom and I both started off with ‘roasted artichokes’ that were not roasted at all.

Mom then had polenta which she said was excellent

Mom also had the potato croquettes which were basically a potato puff, but she said they were pretty good

I had a salad with beets added, Jose had remembered how much I liked the beets from the night before. Sadly they were not cooked through but still was a good salad

Mom had one as well

For my entrée I had asked for an item that was already on the menu but just to substitute gluten free pasta

After it had arrived and I had taken a bite Jose checked to make sure I was ok to eat pork products because the sauce was made with pork. If I know that it does I prefer not to eat it. I know I can’t control everything and have probably had several if not many things made with animal products, but if I know that it’s there I prefer not to eat it. Jose was kind enough to bring me plain pasta with butter to accompany the fish. It was cooked perfectly and very tasty.

For dessert mom was adventurous and tried the crème brulee. She ate all of it but later said she should have gotten a Mickey bar.

I had one of my favorite desserts of the cruise, a flourless chocolate cake, it was amazing!

Our awkward dinner companion left before dessert. It was very strange.

Since we had slept so late that morning we had plenty of energy to stay awake for the Buckets and Boards show. We also had a little time before it started and saw Chip and Dale out in their tuxedos! I just had to get pictures with them and this started a fun banter for the rest of the trip.

Mom was admiring Dale’s cheeks, they were so soft and he said they were full of acorns. Chip started feeling left out, well we couldn’t have that! We had so much fun with them.

We were laughing so hard when we left! The CM with them had asked our room number but we never got any special surprises.

Then off to the Buckets and Boards show which was great fun as well. If you have the opportunity to see them on a cruise please check them out.

We watched Beauty and the Beast in the room while falling asleep. It was another fabulous day and we were asleep shortly after midnight. We had set our alarms this time because tomorrow morning we had Palo brunch at 10am.

At some point today mom was a little sad that the trip was half over, until I pointed out we had an entire full week before it was done.

Last edited:
Day 8, Sea Day

Too funny that I was right there too, and just checked my video and I have video of you helping Daisy out in the rain. :) I was surprised that Daisy's "helper" didn't seem to have a clue of the issue with Daisy getting wet by walking in the rain, and Daisy had to come up with the idea of getting the towel on her own!

Too funny that I was right there too, and just checked my video and I have video of you helping Daisy out in the rain. :) I was surprised that Daisy's "helper" didn't seem to have a clue of the issue with Daisy getting wet by walking in the rain, and Daisy had to come up with the idea of getting the towel on her own!

That's so cool you saw that too!

No, the helper was completely clueless. I think at one point she asked Daisy what the problem was because ducks usually like rain. I thought that was a good point but Daisy wasn't having any of that nonesense :laughing:

Any chance of seeing the video?

I guess because you two stay up so late, you can sleep in. I get so ancy and excited for what's to come for the day that I can't sleep! Hence why I'm always up at sunrise.

You know it's funny you should mention the fact that you were irked by them pushing the Poly. This was when? End of August? On my cruise at the end of February at the Castaway Club reception they announced the Copper Creek Villas, saying that this was the first day that they were able to mention them! :laughing:

So sad that Daisy's handler had no idea how to take care of her.

Why would your server even think that a pork product would be appropriate in a sauce for you? Nice though that they had the gluten free noodles for you.

Cute interaction with Chip and Dale!

That's so cool you saw that too!

No, the helper was completely clueless. I think at one point she asked Daisy what the problem was because ducks usually like rain. I thought that was a good point but Daisy wasn't having any of that nonesense :laughing:

Any chance of seeing the video?

It's only 22 seconds, but is 55 meg and I have no idea how to share it! Here's a screen shot though! :)Daisy.JPG

I guess because you two stay up so late, you can sleep in. I get so ancy and excited for what's to come for the day that I can't sleep! Hence why I'm always up at sunrise.

That's too funny, I don't think I've ever been that excited to wake up :laughing: Well, only when I have been reading an exceptionally good book have I ever woken up early on purpose.

You know it's funny you should mention the fact that you were irked by them pushing the Poly. This was when? End of August? On my cruise at the end of February at the Castaway Club reception they announced the Copper Creek Villas, saying that this was the first day that they were able to mention them! :laughing:

This cruise was last September. That's so bizarre, why wouldn't they be trying to sell it early?

So sad that Daisy's handler had no idea how to take care of her.

I know, Daisy was beside herself and couldn't express it fully :laughing:

Why would your server even think that a pork product would be appropriate in a sauce for you? Nice though that they had the gluten free noodles for you.

I think it was one of those oops things because he came back almost immediately to ask.

Cute interaction with Chip and Dale!

They had us laughing so hard!

Some exciting news to share. The Alaska cruise is now paid in full :cool1: unfortunately I can't book anything until May 22... We have all the excursions chosen and I'll post them as soon I book them. I don't want to jinx myself and they're all booked up.

The repositioning cruise isn't due to be paid in full until June 28 and there's no need to pay that early because we're not planning on getting off the ship. But as I write that I forgot about Palo. Hmmm, I will have to dwell on these things.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! I am hoping to book the same itinerary in 2018 tomorrow.
I had a question about the cabin you had. Did you experience motion sickness due to being on a higher deck and forward? I read somewhere that the EBPC experiences rougher seas and was wondering if you felt it? We don't normally get seasick and have stayed in forward / higher deck staterooms. The only time I was ill was when we did the Mexican Riviera and we were sailing back to LA, and that was deck 2 forward.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! I am hoping to book the same itinerary in 2018 tomorrow.
I had a question about the cabin you had. Did you experience motion sickness due to being on a higher deck and forward? I read somewhere that the EBPC experiences rougher seas and was wondering if you felt it? We don't normally get seasick and have stayed in forward / higher deck staterooms. The only time I was ill was when we did the Mexican Riviera and we were sailing back to LA, and that was deck 2 forward.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for reading :)

We loved our cabin. I always get seasick and must take dramamine daily, but I just asked mom and she did not experience any seasickness. We have the same stateroom category on the other side of the ship, also forward, for our Alaska cruise in September. We loved it!

The seas were quite calm I thought.

Were you able to book your cruise? :hyper:

I am very excited to say that today was finally the day to book things for our Alaska cruise and I was able to get our first choices! :cool1:

We'll do Palo brunch at 11am the first sea day, which is the first full day of the cruise. This way we're guaranteed to be super hungry popcorn::

For Skagway we'll be doing an excursion only available in August and September called Evening Wildlife Expedition. It is 6-6.5 hours and starts off with a 45 minute catamaran ride down a glacial fjord, then a bus ride to the Chilkoot River Valley where we will *hopefully* see brown bears and cubs hunting salmon while the sun sets. They can't guarantee the bear sightings but I'm hopeful since they only have this excursion later in the season.

In Juneau we'll do the 5 Glacier Seaplane Exploration. Alison did this and it sounds amazing! Mom's thought is who knows when we'll get back to Alaska, and this will be an awesome way to see the terrain.

In Ketchikan we'll be very adventurous and do the Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure. Corinna and Graham had done this and it was super high on my list whenever we got to Alaska. Fortunately mom also finds it intriguing. We'll see undersea creatures and plants that are unique to cold waters. We've only ever snorkeled or dove in warm water so this will be totally different. They provide thick wetsuits to keep you warm. I'm sure it will still be cold, we'll see.

This will be a very different kind of cruise for us. Usually we stay on the ship and relax, as you know from the Panama Canal cruise. For this big reason I booked the back to back repositioning cruise after the Alaska cruise since it is the last cruise of the season. I figured it was perfect timing and will allow us to recover from being busy on the Alaska cruise.

As of now we don't have a Palo dinner booked, we'll do that onboard and try to skip a main dining rotation. We have requested to sit alone at dinner and also requested the same server from the Panama Canal cruise, the magnificent Jose! When we were on the PC he told us he would definitely be on the Wonder.

I'm excited :cool1:

For Skagway we'll be doing an excursion only available in August and September called Evening Wildlife Expedition. It is 6-6.5 hours and starts off with a 45 minute catamaran ride down a glacial fjord, then a bus ride to the Chilkoot River Valley where we will *hopefully* see brown bears and cubs hunting salmon while the sun sets. They can't guarantee the bear sightings but I'm hopeful since they only have this excursion later in the season.

We did a very similar excursion in Skagway (minus the sunset part b/c it was in June). The scenery was BREATHTAKING. We didn't get to see much wildlife but did get to see 2 bear cubs and an eagle.

Thanks so much for reading :)

We loved our cabin. I always get seasick and must take dramamine daily, but I just asked mom and she did not experience any seasickness. We have the same stateroom category on the other side of the ship, also forward, for our Alaska cruise in September. We loved it!

The seas were quite calm I thought.

Were you able to book your cruise? :hyper:
Yes!!! After being on hold for an hour, booked a sideways cabin - 6011! So excited!! :banana:

We did a very similar excursion in Skagway (minus the sunset part b/c it was in June). The scenery was BREATHTAKING. We didn't get to see much wildlife but did get to see 2 bear cubs and an eagle.

Two bear cubs would make it completely worthwhile to me, that sounds absolutely amazing! Did your excursion take a boat ride? I'm thinking that will be lovely to be closer to the ground than on the cruise ship. I'm so excited :hyper:

Two bear cubs would make it completely worthwhile to me, that sounds absolutely amazing! Did your excursion take a boat ride? I'm thinking that will be lovely to be closer to the ground than on the cruise ship. I'm so excited :hyper:

I wrote a trip report on my blog, it was awesome. We were on flat bottom boats on the Chilikoot river. Similar to what you described, we took a ferry from Skagway to Haines, then a bus ride to the Chilkoot river, then the flat bottom boats, it was awesome! Here is the link to the report: https://disneyalaska2016.wordpress.com

All caught up!

:jumping1: So happy for you that you got everything you wanted! Your excursions sound awesome. :thumbsup2 Thank goodness we'll have lots of time on our cruise in 2018 so you can tell us all about it. ::yes::

Keeping my fingers crossed you get Jose! He was A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!! .... as was the assistant server so head. We were super jealous on the PC cruise.

Oh, and btw - you forgot to mention that you got Halloween Party tickets for late August at WDW as well. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter