• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Starting to regret decision to stay offsite

Mario/avspilot69, have a wonderful time! Whenever the higher price of onsite presses a budget, it's worth it to stay offsite, to me. If you have to squeeze for the room, you'll be watching your wallet so closely on everything else (meals, souvenirs, etc.) that your trip will be impacted or you'll regret your spending afterward. It's not worth it!!!

Regardless of where we stay, onsite or off, we always need 3-5 days just to truly unwind and settle into "vacation mode," so a longer trip is needed in order for us to really enjoy one another and the destination. And that down time can be at the parks, at the pool or just doing family activities together. Given that, for us, offsite usually makes more sense (unless we traded into a DVC 2BR with one of our timeshare weeks and the expense is nearly equal). We always have 5-8 people (all adults but only 2 of us over age 21) traveling together so space is necessary. :)

Hey all,

We were originally going to stay on-site, but plans changed. We had a choice of staying off-site (and saving money) OR not going...well the obvious good choice is off-site. We've always stayed on-site and will again in the future, but this time it came down to dollar and cents. My family and I LOVE everything Disney and I think this was the best choice for us. We are able to get a 3bdrm house w/ pool and 5day base tickets for $1500 for 6 people, which would have cost us a lot more.

Its really amazing that you can actually get a whole house for a longer period of time,and still be within 30 minutes of getting off the monorail and heading into the MK.I think the more that people do this the less they will be inclined to shell out thousands of dollars for a shorter stay, less amenities and service that is not always first rate..My last experience checking into the Poly was the final straw for me Wayne was the CM and he could not have been more rude and condescending.....And this is coming from someone who has been coming and staying onsite religiously since 1976...oh well I cant wait till my trip in 2 weeks ...staying at the Paradise Palms resort and looking forward to it

Hi Mary - I almost always visit for a week at a time, stay on site and visit the parks most days. I really like the idea of staying in a nice villa for 2 weeks and relaxing in between times. I just hope the pound doesn't plummet anymore, or we'll be going to Iceland or Mexico instead.

Koda - thanks for saying concisely pretty much what our experience has been as well. I can see how some folks would prefer the idea of staying in their villa at night, relaxing, watching television and eating food they prepared. I can see how some folks would prefer to spend more time sitting relaxing, than standing in lines and hustling around a park. I can laso see how some folks would prefer to not have daily housekeepers in their private space.

That said, it's hard to describe the subtle changes that happens to our family once we got onsite, but our whole mentality changes. We really want to take advantage of as much park time as we are can, and staying onsite seems to maximize that opportunity. It's not just about technical distinctions in how long it takes to get around - it's about everyone's attitude and motivation level. The only offsite place (I mentally consider the Swan 'onsite.') that ever came close to matching that was the Marriott World Center - hardly a bargain joint- and I think part ofthe magic was that we could see the Epcot fireworks from our room.

We also felt that villa/condo/rented house life is something we do in places other than WDW. When we go to the beach, where you have all your 'beach vacation stuff' having a house is nice. Being able to share homecooked meals as an extended family was more fun than eating in clip-joint restaurants where we had long waits for tables and too many greasy french fries. Actually having everyone acting as a team was a good chance to bond, and the kids got healthy meals. (They even encouraged each other to eat fresh fruit!)

I wouldn't say either choice is wrong, and to the op, you can't know until you do one or the other for yourself which you will prefer. So be happy with your choice, experience offsite, then decide for yourself which you prefer for your next vacation. Only after your family has firmly decided which one they prefer can you really make a choice that's wrong (for your family).

As for getting to MK...as a kid, we used to stay offsite...so for me, there is something very nostalgic about arrivig to MK via monorail. I'll take direct buses, but sometimes we ride the monorail just for the fun of it! No stay is complete without at least one monorail ride! I also truly think, that despite what the adults post here about arrival times - most KIDS actually see the monorail or ferry boat AS THE FIRST ATTRACTION! (or maybe the tram....) My point is, probably only the adults or older kids will care about the technical arrival to MK and how long it takes.

I don't think it would be faster at all to park at Epcot, if you want MK. The monorail line between the two parks is pretty far! Going from the MK parking lot to the TTC is sure to be faster!

What a wonderful post. Sort of makes me nostalgic for the whole Disney experience. Only problem is, I've now done offsite and for my family it just works out better.

Just goes to show how people are different and that everyone can enjoy things their way.

Its really amazing that you can actually get a whole house for a longer period of time,and still be within 30 minutes of getting off the monorail and heading into the MK.I think the more that people do this the less they will be inclined to shell out thousands of dollars for a shorter stay, less amenities and service that is not always first rate..

Yep....no doubt renting a whole house offsite is a deal. But it will never be the preference of my family. We just get a different feel from being onsite. More like an escape from reality if you will ? I know these rental homes are very nicely appointed, but I prefer to not stay in a rental house on vacation. It's just not as special a feeling and to us, it's worth the extra money to be on property at a disney themed resort. But I totally understand how many feel as you do maryfree.

And we have always enjoyed the services and amenities we've gotten at disney resorts.

Oh I definitley agree with you...we have always stayed onsite,but this time I thought we would at leat try something a bit different...will the magic be lost?..after probably 100 trips(most onsite)I think we will be able to channel that magic no matter where we stay...Right now with the weather so cold here I would be happy to stay in a shack in Florida...ha ha

after probably 100 trips(most onsite)I think we will be able to channel that magic no matter where we stay...

100 trips ! That's impressive maryfree.....

Our problem....the more we go to WDW, the more we appreciate staying onsite (we just prefer the themeing and ambience that only disney can provide). But everyone has their own preferences. We've got maybe 35 visits so far.....but I've stopped counting too.

I'm with ya....just being in FL sounds good now. Woke up to 11 degrees today.

Maria

If it makes you feel any better I have actually just booked a 5 night at Windsor Hills in a themed condo because of this post. I had my heart set on staying onsite for 4 nights until my husband tried to cut me down one night, then after seeing some of the gorgeous condos it made sense to stay somewhere cheaper and be able to add on an extra night or two plus i think we will be all around happier.

We staying at a house that I can say is huge and super luxurious compared to our current home. Our home is nice, but the rental house has some great features which I might incorporate into my own home.

Mario/avspilot69, have a wonderful time! Whenever the higher price of onsite presses a budget, it's worth it to stay offsite, to me. If you have to squeeze for the room, you'll be watching your wallet so closely on everything else (meals, souvenirs, etc.) that your trip will be impacted or you'll regret your spending afterward. It's not worth it!!!

Lisa, I know what you mean:) I was going to cancel this year's vacation due to budgetary concerns but decided to go ahead and do it. Things are tough right now but I think a trip to the magic world will give us the necessary respite.

Have a magical day!

Last year was our first visit to the World and we stayed at the Encantada Resort for 7 nights/8 days for $425 ..for the entire trip. There were 4 bedrooms and 2 baths with full kitchen, washer/dryer, flat screen tvs, and our own private pool. The resort itself was very nice with 2 additonal pools. It was really nice not to be cramped up under one another. Now, it advertised as being close to Disney but I was prepared for it to be farther than described. Too my pleasant surprise, it was really, really close to Disney. We went in June and it never took us 5 ...10 minutes max to get travel back and forth. I loved that Walgreens was right there, as well as Publix and lots of other resturants. It was a beautiful vacation. Niow we are returning for Christmas this year and we will stay on the property. It'll be Christmas and I want to be totally emerged in all things Disney. However, next year we will be back off-site.

A private home, while very nice and plush, doesn't feel like a vacation enough to me ? And I know to many it does.....but I prefer more of a resort atmosphere where I don't just feel like I'm at home if you know what I'm saying ? But size and price of offiste rentals can't be matched by disney. So for those on a budget, it's a wonderful option.

Just wanted to say that the reason we choose Windsor Hills is that we feel we are getting the best of both worlds. All that extra space with a resort atmosphere. Its definitely one of the nice resorts I have stayed in.

Last year was our first visit to the World and we stayed at the Encantada Resort for 7 nights/8 days for $425 ..for the entire trip. There were 4 bedrooms and 2 baths with full kitchen, washer/dryer, flat screen tvs, and our own private pool. The resort itself was very nice with 2 additonal pools. It was really nice not to be cramped up under one another. Now, it advertised as being close to Disney but I was prepared for it to be farther than described. Too my pleasant surprise, it was really, really close to Disney. We went in June and it never took us 5 ...10 minutes max to get travel back and forth. I loved that Walgreens was right there, as well as Publix and lots of other resturants. It was a beautiful vacation. Niow we are returning for Christmas this year and we will stay on the property. It'll be Christmas and I want to be totally emerged in all things Disney. However, next year we will be back off-site.

missDisneylady,

Is there a website for the resort? I tried googling it but no luck.

Thanks

Just wanted to say that the reason we choose Windsor Hills is that we feel we are getting the best of both worlds. All that extra space with a resort atmosphere. Its definitely one of the nice resorts I have stayed in.

PrincessBelle39,

I hope you dont mind me asking but,

how much did you pay? The Windsor website doesnt indicate rates.

Thanks

We rented a Beautiful house at Calabay Parc, in 2006, will never do it again, lots of hassle driving everyday, and it isn't the same feeling as staying on site.

100 trips ! That's impressive maryfree.....

Our problem....the more we go to WDW, the more we appreciate staying onsite (we just prefer the themeing and ambience that only disney can provide). But everyone has their own preferences. We've got maybe 35 visits so far.....but I've stopped counting too.

I'm with ya....just being in FL sounds good now. Woke up to 11 degrees today.

Maria

give it time Maria - you own DVC - it will be easier to say next a vacation - get on the phone with MS and way you go.

before DVC - WDW trips were twice a year.

now 4 to 5 times is average. Now my stays are a 7days or less.

We are space people, so we like having our own rooms since we stay at least a week at a time. And for longer stays like ours, the extra TVs, bathrooms, kitchen, laundry are well appreciated. Getting all that, internet, pool, so close to WDW for big savings is just works for us. FWIW.

I am doing the numbers and staying onsite is cheaper for us with the 4/3 deal, but only by a few hundred dollars. Would have to rent a car and pay for parking. WH would be great for all that space. I don't know what to do since I really like the disney magic.
I just wanted to tell anyone that is interested inWH not to go by their rates on their websites. Most of them I have emailed are lowering their prices for the week. They aren't getting the bookings this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter