• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Starting to regret decision to stay offsite

I haven't used the monorail from Epcot to the TTC in a long time. But I'm sure it took over 20 minutes - it felt like it anyway. Then as others have said, you've got to get off and get on the monorail to MK.

MK is really the only park that's a pain to drive to. But you can get to the other parks is so fast that it balances things out.

Mind you, even when you're staying in a monorail resort, returning from MK late at night can be a pain. We've been stranded for ages a few times returning to the poly. Once it was for over 2 hours because the monorail broke down.

We've been stranded for ages a few times returning to the poly. Once it was for over 2 hours because the monorail broke down

Wow...you probably could have walked there alot quicker than that (if there was a direct footpath). It's pretty rare the monorail would break down for that long though. Thats def not something you see that often..........

It was really late after the parks closed. I guess the boat had stopped running for the night. We had decided to hang round MK for a while until the monorail lines went down. I think we got back to our room after 2am.

That's the trouble with MK - if it had been any other park, it would have been easy to get a taxi.

If you are ever in that position again, walk to the Contemporary, and get a cab there.

Excellent point Brian......we've actually done that ourselves........it's not more than an 7-8 min walk to the Contemp (approximate).

Maria

We always stay off site because we only go to Disney a couple of days now but wonder how come that using the Disney transportation and stay onsite is part of the magic but everyone condemns having to park at TTC and taking shuttles and monorail to MK. How come that isn't park of the magic too ?:confused: I don't actually mind it because to me it's part of the whole experience.

Here is my point of view on the on-site vs. off-site debate:

We visited WDW 12/27/08-1/7/09. We have stayed at WDW several times before, always on-site. WDW resort rates are ridiculous over Christmas week, so we decided to try renting a condo for our first 5 nights, then checked into All Star Music (family suite) on January 1st. We got a 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath condo with full kitchen, washer and dryer for $100/night. The condo was nicely decorated and clean. The resort itself was very pretty, with a nice clubhouse, pool, tennis, and basketball courts. We did not have our own private pool, but the clubhouse pool was a 2 minute walk. We knew the Disney parks would be crazy that week, so we went to Sea World one day, spent a couple of days lounging by the pool, playing tennis, and relaxing (which was great tight after Christmas!). We did go to Downtown Disney one afternoon/evening, and ate at Chef Mickey's one night. New Year's Eve we spent the entire day/evening at Epcot. So we definitely got our "Disney fix" during this part of our trip.:)

My girls are 13, 13, and 11. They are very good kids, but there was definitely a fair amount of sibling arguments, picking on each other, etc. during our stay at the condo.

I must say that my family had a complete attitude change when we checked into All Star Music! Not that they were grumpy and crabby before, just normal sibling stuff. They all seemed much happier, got along better, and joked around more once we got to ASMu, even though we had much less space to spread out in than when we were at the condo. We did still have 2 bathrooms, and they all had their own beds in the family suite. It was almost as if they felt that we were finally "at Disney". I know that is how I felt.

I asked my girls when we got home if they liked staying in a condo, and they all said "yes, but not at Disney World. We want to stay at Disney". So even though we had a great experience with renting the condo, there was definitely something missing. Say what you will about "Disney Magic", but it is definitely real for my family. If we can afford it, we will always stay on-site in the future, and save our condo trips for other vacations.

sympatico : We always stay off site because we only go to Disney a couple of days now but wonder how come that using the Disney transportation and stay onsite is part of the magic but everyone condemns having to park at TTC and taking shuttles and monorail to MK. How come that isn't park of the magic too ?

The only statement about the TTC was about those staying OFFSITE and having to take tram and monorail/ferry to MK. ONSITE guests get dropped right off at the gate of the MK and that is "MAGICAL" to us because it saves alot of time and crowds :) We were only saying that OFFSITERS have it a little tougher with getting to the MK via the TTC because they have no choice, other than parking at Epcot and taking 2 monorails (with a switch to opposite track at TTC). Offsiters have much more ease getting to the other parks.

So I'm not sure what you're saying sympatico. If you don't feel any "magic" staying onsite, that is fine for you. Others, like myself, see several benefits to staying on disney property. You said you "always" stay offsite ? Have you ever experienced onsite ? If not, I don't feel perhaps that you can be entirely objective ? Everyone picks and chooses what they feel is magical about a wdw vacation----and for many, that is even staying offsite as we read many times here on the Orlando boards. I just wonder how many actually have stayed onsite and experienced the perks/transportation/themeing etc ? But everyone has their own preferences.

IKoda :t was almost as if they felt that we were finally "at Disney". I know that is how I felt.

I asked my girls when we got home if they liked staying in a condo, and they all said "yes, but not at Disney World. We want to stay at Disney". So even though we had a great experience with renting the condo, there was definitely something missing. Say what you will about "Disney Magic", but it is definitely real for my family.
Koda...this sums it up for us as well ! We stay both offsite (Vistana villa), as well as onsite (either DVC or regular disney room). My family enjoys all stays, but definitely gets a different "feel" when staying inside WDW. Hard to put a finger on it, but a very different vibe. We had a stay at the AK resort this past summer. My youngest dd especially , was just so taken with it. We could not get her off the balcony. She sat out there for hours watching the animals. And she's 15, so I thought that was pretty unusual for a teenager. She cannot wait to go back there. We're staying at the WL in May. We have always enjoyed just sitting out on the beach and looking out at Bay Lake at night----watching the Electric Water Pagent or the MK fireworks. These are just examples of the ambience and themeing I have yet to find offsite.
But if people, such as sympatico, only do a couple days of disney, I can totally see & understand why they prefer offsite. Makes sense for them. There's nothing wrong with either way---just a different type of vacation.

I'm now leaning towards offsite at WH for our trip in June instead of CBR. I just don't know how it will be with 4 of us in 1 room and 1 bathroom. On our trips this summer in PA, we stayed in 1 or 2 BR suites and said we would try to not stay in one room again. I think it's fine if your kids are little and can sleep through noise in the room, but that doesn't work for us anymore. We stayed in POP last year in 2 rooms since my mom was with us. It was nice to have the space.
We are planning on going to SW and KSC, not just Disney. So, should I switch to WH? I hate being off site and getting to MK. It takes so long.We stayed at HIFS which is now Nick one year. One thing I learned is not to go to an off site restaurant on park days. If the service is slow, you end up missing time in the parks.
I will also miss the resort magic. I really don't know what to do.

I was just reading some of the recent trip reports and the families that got the stomach flu while at WDW who were happy to have stayed offsite to have the washer and dryer available-LOL- Whereas the onsite families complained about being stuck in one room and being sick with only 1 bathroom!

Koda - thanks for saying concisely pretty much what our experience has been as well. I can see how some folks would prefer the idea of staying in their villa at night, relaxing, watching television and eating food they prepared. I can see how some folks would prefer to spend more time sitting relaxing, than standing in lines and hustling around a park. I can laso see how some folks would prefer to not have daily housekeepers in their private space.

That said, it's hard to describe the subtle changes that happens to our family once we got onsite, but our whole mentality changes. We really want to take advantage of as much park time as we are can, and staying onsite seems to maximize that opportunity. It's not just about technical distinctions in how long it takes to get around - it's about everyone's attitude and motivation level. The only offsite place (I mentally consider the Swan 'onsite.') that ever came close to matching that was the Marriott World Center - hardly a bargain joint- and I think part ofthe magic was that we could see the Epcot fireworks from our room.

We also felt that villa/condo/rented house life is something we do in places other than WDW. When we go to the beach, where you have all your 'beach vacation stuff' having a house is nice. Being able to share homecooked meals as an extended family was more fun than eating in clip-joint restaurants where we had long waits for tables and too many greasy french fries. Actually having everyone acting as a team was a good chance to bond, and the kids got healthy meals. (They even encouraged each other to eat fresh fruit!)

I wouldn't say either choice is wrong, and to the op, you can't know until you do one or the other for yourself which you will prefer. So be happy with your choice, experience offsite, then decide for yourself which you prefer for your next vacation. Only after your family has firmly decided which one they prefer can you really make a choice that's wrong (for your family).

As for getting to MK...as a kid, we used to stay offsite...so for me, there is something very nostalgic about arrivig to MK via monorail. I'll take direct buses, but sometimes we ride the monorail just for the fun of it! No stay is complete without at least one monorail ride! I also truly think, that despite what the adults post here about arrival times - most KIDS actually see the monorail or ferry boat AS THE FIRST ATTRACTION! (or maybe the tram....) My point is, probably only the adults or older kids will care about the technical arrival to MK and how long it takes.

I don't think it would be faster at all to park at Epcot, if you want MK. The monorail line between the two parks is pretty far! Going from the MK parking lot to the TTC is sure to be faster!

ADisneyQueen - The new CBR pirates rooms do look cool. But I noticed they've also hiked up the price, compared to the other moderates.

I think it depends if you're just doing the Disney parks. If I was doing a week and going only to Disney I think I'd stay onsite. But I've started going only every 2 or 3 years now (well trying to) and as it's a longer trip this time, I'm going to explore some Universal and other stuff.

As you're going to other places too, it might be worth staying offsite.

Koda, I think the difference between your two stays may have had more to do with what you did (and didn't do) than it did where you stayed.

Brian Noble,

I disagree; Even though we didn't go to a Disney park until our 4th day, we did alot of our other favorites (Downtown Disney, Chef Mickey's, monorail ride, saw the castle and space mountain). For us, there is a totally different feel to staying at a WDW resort, vs. off-site. Don't get me wrong, we had a great experience staying at a condo, and if it was a choice between the condo, and not going at all, we would definitely choose the condo. We just feel more surrounded in the magic of WDW when we are at a Disney resort. From the cast members who are so friendly, knowledgeable, and eager to make your stay happy; to the small hidden Mickey's all around the resort; to the resort mugs, which we can fill up with the beverage of our choice at any time; to the Stitch wake-up calls (which definitely helped to get my girls out of bed in the morning); To the fun decor and ambience of the resort itself; to the feeling of safety, in letting my girls walk to the pool and food court by themselves (even though they are 13,13, and 11, I did not have the same sense of security at the condo resort); I guess some of it is hard to explain. Maybe part of it is that we have always stayed at a WDW resort in the past, so it feels more like "coming home" to us, regardless of which resort we are at. Like I said in my previous post, for our family, we will always stay on site if we can afford it. Others may disagree, and that is totally fine. What is right for one family is not always right for everyone.

Cinderella- yes, the pirate rooms at CBR cost more, but there are still regular standard rooms there. Just an FYI for anyone thinking of staying there.

As for getting to MK...as a kid, we used to stay offsite...so for me, there is something very nostalgic about arrivig to MK via monorail. I'll take direct buses, but sometimes we ride the monorail just for the fun of it! No stay is complete without at least one monorail ride! I also truly think, that despite what the adults post here about arrival times - most KIDS actually see the monorail or ferry boat AS THE FIRST ATTRACTION! (or maybe the tram....) My point is, probably only the adults or older kids will care about the technical arrival to MK and how long it takes.

mickeyluv'r

Sure some feel this way. But I've been going to WDW since kids were 2 & don't. Sure they love the monorail......but you can hop on the monorail and just ride around once you get to the MK via bus too. Just walk over to the "resort" monorail line and ride around the loop (Cont, Poly, GF). Or take the boat over to the WL. I know kids love the monorails----but traveling with little ones and strollers and all "can" be a hassle from the MK parking lot for some. The trams can be ridden at any park. So I don't think it's just adults and teens that prefer the direct route to the MK. I have friends with little ones who much prefer it. They stay at BCV because with little ones and strollers they prefer to walk to Epcot even. They do like coming into the MK via TTC.
Like everything, it's a preference. Sure some won't mind the extra 45 min getting into the MK......some prefer a more direct route. I could see someone coming into the MK the first time & enjoying the monorail or ferry ride in---def. But I think some of us just wanted to point out the longer amount of time required to get to the MK via that route for some who might not realize it. Not everyone here on the DIS is a wdw veteren. One time, we were offsite and wanted to come into the MK just for the last 90 min before park closing for the Spectro parade and the fireworks at night. Took us almost an HOUR to get in and we missed the parade. The only way we could rationalize it was, disney was trying harder with their trams and monorails to get people OUT of the park due to impending closing time vs getting them IN to the park. Trams barely run INTO the area to catch the monorail at night so try and park as close as you can because walking might be the only option. Then we felt like we waited a really long time for the monorail at the TTC to get into the MK. So again, just an FYI. I'm sure entering the MK via the monorail is a thrill for little kids and "big" kids alike. But if you're there for a 7 night stay, and spend most time at the MK, I could see it getting a little old ? Maybe not for some ? But to generalize like only adults and older kids prefer the disney busses is way off to me. Like you said, you prefer it at least "once". But as I mentioned....there are other ways to get a monorail ride too.

And Koda....I know what Brian said, but I'm still with ya. We have been going to WDW with kids since 1994 (anywhere from 1-4x a year since then). Stay on and offsite. NO doubt onsite is different. And as you hinted....some may not prefer the total immersion in disney themeing and ambience. We do. As I mentioned....sitting out on the beach at WL watching EWP go by with a glass of wine.....dd's facination with watching the animals for hours on the balcony at AK.....years where characters showed up at the resort pool or lobby......one year, we woke up at WL, went down to the main lobby (hardly anyone there) and lo and behold, Pooh and Tigger were there.....just having meals in the food courts which are bubbling with activity and disney themeing......
So some can try and rationalize all they like. Yes...there are some very lovely rental homes out there (my in-laws stayed in one years ago). Visted them. But I felt like I was sort of home ? Nothing against it for those that prefer them (no doubt they are spacious, private, beautifully decorated)......but I feel like I'm just in some very nice home in FL. It's not a true "vacation or resort feel" for me. And as Koda mentioned, her kids can easily navigate to the food courts on their own and refill their mugs.....and as a mom of teens now, my kids can actually go to the parks on their own. My son, one year, told me he didn't want to get up really early with us and go to the parks. He wanted to sleep in and meet us there. It was great ! Anyway one can make a teenager happy is a good day ! So he slept in until noon then hopped on a bus and met us at the park. Even when the kids were little the disney transportation was a big PLUS. One year (remember it well), 1998. My youngest had a bad ear infection/fever. She would go in and out of feeling ok and we'd go to the park. But she couldn't last more than 2 hours or so. It was so convenient for either dh or myself to hop on a bus and go back to our hotel while the other one stayed behind and continued to play with the other two kids who were not sick. That visit, having the disney busses was worth it's weight in gold to us. Otherwise, if we were staying offsite, we all probably would have had to go back to the resort because with driving a car, it's not as convenient for families to split up and go their own ways. Traveling with mil were also times we were thankful for disney busses. When she got tired (which was usually several hours before us----she could get back to the room and nap at her will). If one is staying at a monorail resort or WL/FT Wilderness....it's even easier to get back to room on your own. So if some want to cite the convenience of a w/d, that is fine....but there are definitely conveniences to stay onsite that you won't get offsite. One just needs to decide what they really want out of a vacation.

And I agree Koda....very difficult to put into words how staying on disney property feels so different. Someone brought up topic of washer/dryer. YES....absolutely a conveneience. No doubt. But in over 30-35 visits to WDW.....noone in my family ever had a stomach virus where I absolutely needed a w/d. I love the convenience of one....but most times, not enough to give up disney ambience/themeing.

So I'm not sure what you're saying sympatico. If you don't feel any "magic" staying onsite, that is fine for you. Others, like myself, see several benefits to staying on disney property. You said you "always" stay offsite ? Have you ever experienced onsite ? If not, I don't feel perhaps that you can be entirely objective ? Everyone picks and chooses what they feel is magical about a wdw vacation----and for many, that is even staying offsite as we read many times here on the Orlando boards. I just wonder how many actually have stayed onsite and experienced the perks/transportation/themeing etc ? But everyone has their own preferences. [/B]

But if people, such as sympatico, only do a couple days of disney, I can totally see & understand why they prefer offsite. Makes sense for them. There's nothing wrong with either way---just a different type of vacation. [/B][/QUOTE]

The above is a quote from MiaSRN62 I can never get that darn partial quote thing to work. Anyone want to enlighten me as to the trick. :)

When we first started going to Disney 25 years ago (when our kids were little) there was very little onsite hotel choice and it was all expensive so we stayed offsite. It was all magical to us. Now there is more affordable choices onsite but we have no desire to stay there. We've visited friends staying on site and also met them at Typhoon Lagoon. When they left to back to their hotel we waited in our car for them to board the bus so that we would get to their hotel at the same time. They waited 20 minutes for their bus and then had to stand up. We could have driven back and forth 3 times. And I've heard many onsite people say that they would rather have their own car than waiting for buses.
All I was saying is that parking my car and getting on a shuttle and monorail for MK must rate right up there with waiting for buses as far as the transportation magic goes.

We've visited friends staying on site and also met them at Typhoon Lagoon. When they left to back to their hotel we waited in our car for them to board the bus so that we would get to their hotel at the same time. They waited 20 minutes for their bus and then had to stand up. We could have driven back and forth 3 times. And I've heard many onsite people say that they would rather have their own car than waiting for buses.
All I was saying is that parking my car and getting on a shuttle and monorail for MK must rate right up there with waiting for buses as far as the transportation magic goes.
And it's all good Wanda....we always use our car for water parks and resort dining. Disney busses can be very helpful for the main parks though---whether or not it's "magical" in all cases is aside from the point. It's the convenience for many. The "goodness factor" for me is getting to the MK 30-45 min faster by disney busses/boats/monorails than offsite friends.......being able to split up as a family and take busses to different parks at different times........freedom for family members to come and go at will without everyone having to go back to the car and drive back to the resort when one is sick or needs a nap or whatever.....all adds "value" to use a different term than "magic". In terms of disney transportation vs offsite driving ......everyone views "value" in their vacation as something different and that is fine.

The above is a quote from MiaSRN62 I can never get that darn partial quote thing to work. Anyone want to enlighten me as to the trick

I know...took me a bit too initially.
Copy the part of the quote u want. Then paste it into the little quote icon in the reply box (it's second from the right icon in the post reply box). You must paste the quote directly between the quote brackets. Hope this helps sympatico :)

We will be staying offsite this coming June. Last June we stayed at the BW Villa (5 people). But our upcoming trip, there will be 7 of us and staying offsite at Residence Inn would be a lot cheaper although we would certainly miss the magic and the convenience of staying on Disney property. But the price difference between the Disney 2 bedroom villa vs the Residence Inn was too much for me to bear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter