Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were worried about spoilers, I would stay way from discussion threads about the movie period. All it takes is one person.

I thought this was supposed to be a spoiler safe thread.

But if people can't contain themselves, see you all after the movie I guess.

They ran a screening of most scenes from the movie. It was not a final cut. Studios always test screen the major plot points and leave out the filler so a 2 hour movie gets a 45 minute test screening. Google “test screenings of movies” to learn how it’s done.

OverlordDVD on YouTube has the details. MAJOR SPOILERS in that video!

But maybe you’re right. Maybe Disney will release the movie WITHOUT having done any test screenings. Maybe the reshoots were done just for fun and NOT as a result of the test screenings. Yep, sounds plausible
Disney does in-house screenings that are typically a full cut of the movie. They're offered to employees and family members, not to the general public. Also, reshoots have been done on every major film released in probably the last 10 years. But surely this one source on YouTube has more information than every major film news outlet... :rolleyes1

I thought this was supposed to be a spoiler safe thread.

But if people can't contain themselves, see you all after the movie I guess.

This should be a spoiler free thread prior to the movie coming out - then I will change the thread title to indicate it contains spoilers.

Obviously can be a fine line between speculation and spoilers at this point but if anything clearly a spoiler should not be here

So far behind sorry, these are at DHS prob old news.

Yes! I JUST saw this on CBS station (right after Ellen)....dh called me into the room and we watched but it all happened so fast. I'm happy to be able to look at this frame by frame now and risk dh thinking I am a crazy person.

Oh, I am with you - I always watch the videos on YouTube where they breakdown the trailers frame by frame

Yes! I JUST saw this on CBS station (right after Ellen)....dh called me into the room and we watched but it all happened so fast. I'm happy to be able to look at this frame by frame now and risk dh thinking I am a crazy person.
Actually the trailer we just saw was not this one...the one we just saw had more footage.

I will go see this movie unless the reviews are really really bad. However, if I'm being honest, I'm ready for this saga to be over. There has just been too much BS surrounding it. I'm ready for a completely new chapter in SW. It doen't even have to focus on Jedi. I do like a trilogy format tho.

Discussion topic: From a marketing/merchandising perspective - Has Disney given up on Star Wars? (or have the toy companies?)

They are promoting it with trailers and such --- but being the Christmas season .. I am SHOCKED at the severe lack of Star Wars merchandise (toys especially) for Episode IX.

And online, the Mandalorian and Rise of The Resistance is getting more hype than Episode IX (which .. may help draw people to the movie).

But I am shocked when I go to Wal Mart and Target and there is small section of Star Wars toys -- a few (and I mean a few) figures, no ships (unless it is still ones from old movies), and some lightsabers. That is it. It is the Christmas season and Star Wars has no almost presence in the toy aisles with a big movie 2 weeks away? (except the Lego section).
Just nothing to buy my son except a few figures that was released on Force Friday. (He really likes the red Sith Trooper (whatever its role may be in the movie).

Just odd to me.
Did they just get burned due to the lackluster toy buying from Last Jedi and Solo? (Which they just released WAY too close together).

Discussion topic: From a marketing/merchandising perspective - Has Disney given up on Star Wars? (or have the toy companies?)

They are promoting it with trailers and such --- but being the Christmas season .. I am SHOCKED at the severe lack of Star Wars merchandise (toys especially) for Episode IX.

And online, the Mandalorian and Rise of The Resistance is getting more hype than Episode IX (which .. may help draw people to the movie).

But I am shocked when I go to Wal Mart and Target and there is small section of Star Wars toys -- a few (and I mean a few) figures, no ships (unless it is still ones from old movies), and some lightsabers. That is it. It is the Christmas season and Star Wars has no almost presence in the toy aisles with a big movie 2 weeks away? (except the Lego section).
Just nothing to buy my son except a few figures that was released on Force Friday. (He really likes the red Sith Trooper (whatever its role may be in the movie).

Just odd to me.
Did they just get burned due to the lackluster toy buying from Last Jedi and Solo? (Which they just released WAY too close together).

I think it's the toy companies and retailers really - without Toys R Us in the landscape, things have changed. There was a lot of leftover stock from previous movies, so they are probably quite gunshy - and without TRU placing large orders, I think we see the sad state of toy sales right now. It's not just Star Wars toys suffering.

I think it's the toy companies and retailers really - without Toys R Us in the landscape, things have changed. There was a lot of leftover stock from previous movies, so they are probably quite gunshy - and without TRU placing large orders, I think we see the sad state of toy sales right now. It's not just Star Wars toys suffering.
Thais a good point. I would guess that the Target and Walmrts just didnt want to get those toys considering how much they sat on shelves. Just seems odd that there is no presence of Star Wars and much bigger displays for Toys that dont even have the cultural signifance of Star Wars --

Christmas shopping for the kids isnt the same without Toys R Us. Call me old fashioned, but I enjoy being able to walk and browse through stores rather than sift through pages on my small screen trying to find a toy I think they may like or want.

Retail in general is moving that way (smaller stores, less inventory on the shelves), which is a shame. I understand that is where our culture is moving, but that just isnt how I like to shop. :(

Thais a good point. I would guess that the Target and Walmrts just didnt want to get those toys considering how much they sat on shelves. Just seems odd that there is no presence of Star Wars and much bigger displays for Toys that dont even have the cultural signifance of Star Wars --

Christmas shopping for the kids isnt the same without Toys R Us. Call me old fashioned, but I enjoy being able to walk and browse through stores rather than sift through pages on my small screen trying to find a toy I think they may like or want.

Retail in general is moving that way (smaller stores, less inventory on the shelves), which is a shame. I understand that is where our culture is moving, but that just isnt how I like to shop. :(

That's definitely true. Target did a pretty big section for Force Friday, but they seem to have dwindled - like nothing has been restocked. I think that's just the nature of it now. TRU used to place BIG orders and others stores could benefit from that as the manufacturers were tooled up to fill them. Excess stock would wind up at discount stores too. Part of the issue is how expensive toys have gotten. They want over 10 bucks for a 3.75" action figure these days - it's a hard sell.

Just odd to me.

I do recall after Last Jedi the feeling was toy sales were slow as there wasn't a lot "new" - like, kids had their Rey and Finn, etc. and didn't really feel the need for new versions (guess not the same as like Frozen II where you gotta get the new dress version of same character)

Also, maybe there are some things they are keeping a surprise so don't want the toys out yet to spoil it?

I do recall after Last Jedi the feeling was toy sales were slow as there wasn't a lot "new" - like, kids had their Rey and Finn, etc. and didn't really feel the need for new versions (guess not the same as like Frozen II where you gotta get the new dress version of same character)

Also, maybe there are some things they are keeping a surprise so don't want the toys out yet to spoil it?
That was the problem with Last Jedi for me (from a toy standpoint). Nothing new was really introduced. Everyones outfit was pretty much the same .. and the new characters (except the Red guard) werent really ACTION characters (Holdo, old Luke, Rose, Snoke). The thing that caught my sons attention was the Execution Troopers (basically normal stormtroopers with half their mask back)..

They had cool bombers in the beginning and cool gorilla AT-ATs at the end, but the screen time for those was minimal and impact to the movie as a whole was minimal. Just not as memorable as the AT-ATs and the HOTH battle from Empire Strikes Back. The previous 7 movies was able to introduce new characters and races and just felt Last Jedi missed the mark on that.

Well I know they hold some things until after the movie releases to avoid spoilers. (But it could also be that they couldn't make toys because they were still filming/editing the movie until VERY recently).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter