Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing with bringing Palps back is it sorta goes against the whole Lucas/Anakin/Choosen One story line.

I think it depends what "bringing balance to the Force" means though. One could argue the Jedi had gotten too strong and corrupt and to bring balance first thing was to humble the Jedi which he did

I do think with just parts 1-6 it was the story arc of Anakin and now it is more of the "Force" and "all the Jedi vs all the Sith", etc

I'd say the actual story line and plot arc was better in the prequals. The execution was 10x better in this trilogy though.

Agreed. And that's because there WAS A PLOT ARC for the prequels. Fact: there was not a prewritten plot arc for this sequel trilogy. To paraphrase Yoda: "That is why it failed."

When I read that from JJ Abrams during TLJ's fallout, I was completely blown away. "***???" I think it is completely irresponsible, and whomever made that decision should be fired.

Last edited:
Agreed. And that's because there WAS A PLOT ARC for the prequels. Fact: there was not a prewritten plot arc for this sequel trilogy. To paraphrase Yoda: "That is why it failed."

But, to be fair, there wasn't exactly a pre-written arc for the OT either. Yes, I know George Lucas had some general ideas of where to take it, but it's pretty clear things evolved and changed a bit too. We don't really know how much of a plan there was for the ST, but not having much of one doesn't necessarily make it a failure. I think it all played out rather nicely.

But, to be fair, there wasn't exactly a pre-written arc for the OT either. Yes, I know George Lucas had some general ideas of where to take it, but it's pretty clear things evolved and changed a bit too. We don't really know how much of a plan there was for the ST, but not having much of one doesn't necessarily make it a failure. I think it all played out rather nicely.

There’s evolving and then there’s no real plan. I consider the ST a success and I enjoy most of it, but it could have been better with some forethought. If there was a plan at the beginning, I think it’s pretty clear it wasn’t followed very well.

Well that's the thing. I loved TFA and enjoyed TLJ, but there had to be a vessel for redemption for Kylo Ren.

Just like someone else stated, the balance went out of whack again in the original EU. It's not going to be fairy tales forever. Anakin: "bring the balance back, like I did" kind of covers it's a repeated theme.

One thing that also crossed my mind,

Remember TFA Kylo’s “Grandfather, I’ll finish what you started”? Well he kind of did. Just not in the way he intended when he said it.

I think it all ties in that way. Ben is so important to this movie. He barely says anything after his dialogue with Han, yet it’s as much or more his movie as it is Rey’s.

To me it was meh. D- This whole trilogy has been a disappointment. With the funds and resources that Disney has, it could have been epic. Instead they just recycled the OT. If they cant do better than that, just give me some stand alone films so I can get my SW fix. Rough One and Solo > this trilogy. I'm glad its over.

Just back from the cinema. Managed to avoid all spoilers and just wow. The omg, oh wow, the what , oh that makes sense, the Falcon, the character arcs, and that ending, my heart.....

I just can't wait to return to Batuu in the summer, seeing the chess game and the Falcon going into light speed gave me goose bumps.

Now going back to the start of this thread to read all the buildup :)

I know everyone was like W T F is Palpatine doing here, but I screamed!! I was excited to see him!! My DS always liked him. We’d walk around the house saying ‘Good... Gooooddd!!!!’ I don’t care how he got there, I liked that they brought him back. I’m happy he got zapped again in the face. I called it. DS was proud of me.
I just wish that they set up Palpatine's return at the end of Episode 8, because it felt thrown in at the beginning of 9.

The main complaint seems to be (and has been for all the prequels, sequels, Galaxy's Edge et al) is that it "wasn't the movie/ride/land I would have made."

Everyone who is a Star Wars fan has a "fan fic" running in their head of what happened before or after the originals. And unless someone made that exact thing, it just doesn't measure up. How could it ever.

Every complaint I hear sounds like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, lamenting...."worst episode ever".

I liked this movie, but I didn't love it and I was primed like crazy TO love it.

I love everything Adam Driver did with his character in this entire trilogy and his and Daisy's performances are the heart of it, without a doubt.

I definitely didn't want Ben Solo to die, but if that was your direction, I think it could have been handled in a more heartfelt way and I am FAR from alone in feeling like this. He had no help/advice from force ghosts after his turn back to the light, Han was only a memory, and they don't even give Rey a few seconds to grieve him after he vanishes. I'm not open to any "He became one with the force, she'll see him again!" comments because maybe that's so, but what was presented on screen gave us no closure and left a lot of people feeling empty and hopeless.

Yawn @ Rey Palpatine, also. I found it more profound when she was Rey of Jakku.

I think it was a mistake to bring back JJ, tbh. He's the one that declined Episode VIII and they shouldn't have gone back to him.

Also, what was Finn going to say to Rey (but never did)? JJ says it's supposed to be open to interpretation, but he likes to think Finn was going to tell Rey he is force sensitive. But I re-watched Ep 7 & 8 and don't see any clues that would lead you to think he has force sensitivities.

I liked this movie, but I didn't love it and I was primed like crazy TO love it.

I love everything Adam Driver did with his character in this entire trilogy and his and Daisy's performances are the heart of it, without a doubt.

I definitely didn't want Ben Solo to die, but if that was your direction, I think it could have been handled in a more heartfelt way and I am FAR from alone in feeling like this. He had no help/advice from force ghosts after his turn back to the light, Han was only a memory, and they don't even give Rey a few seconds to grieve him after he vanishes. I'm not open to any "He became one with the force, she'll see him again!" comments because maybe that's so, but what was presented on screen gave us no closure and left a lot of people feeling empty and hopeless.

Yawn @ Rey Palpatine, also. I found it more profound when she was Rey of Jakku.

I think it was a mistake to bring back JJ, tbh. He's the one that declined Episode VIII and they shouldn't have gone back to him.

This movie broke my heart, tbh.

I think most of my love for the movie has to do with liking the new characters (Ben, Rey, Finn, and Poe) and less with the story itself. Adam and Daisy's performances were great in all three films!

Also, what was Finn going to say to Rey (but never did)? JJ says it's supposed to be open to interpretation, but he likes to think Finn was going to tell Rey he is force sensitive. But I re-watched Ep 7 & 8 and don't see any clues that would lead you to think he has force sensitivities.

JJ has confirmed that he wanted to tell Rey he is Force sensitive. It is likely why the First Order brainwashing didn't take with him.

That's a good point. In this account they made it seem like what JJ said wasn't necessarily definitive:

https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-what-did-finn-tell-rey-answer/

Well, technically, since it isn't shown in the movie it is not truly canon, but that was the intent. A future writer could always come along and change that. I don't think they will make any more movies with these characters, but it may be addressed in a novel or comic book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter