Star Wars Tales Of The Arcolyte

Interestingly, my wife has a massive problem with the Jedi "taking" kids. I mentioned that I would imagine the child is given a choice. If Mae had tested right and refused, I doubt the Jedi would abduct her. That is why Sol seemed very in tune with Osha. I think he sensed she wanted more than to live on that planet and that she had dreamed of being a Jedi. Maybe she had visions of that life for a time.

Well, the kid is often not given a choice as they can be very young. You see all this grousing about them being "too old" at 8 years old. The parents however ARE given a choice. Usually they know that their child might be different. The Jedi knock on the door and it's no surprise. In fact, it is mostly seen as a great honor, in the proper Republic anyway. The Jedi will not abduct the child unwillingly , but it is sort of assumed that everyone will go along with it, and for the most part they do. If they don't, then it is forbidden to train the child in another way, so basically they have to ignore it and let the Force connection kind of die off. Of course, that doesn't always happen either.

Well, the kid is often not given a choice as they can be very young. You see all this grousing about them being "too old" at 8 years old. The parents however ARE given a choice. Usually they know that their child might be different. The Jedi knock on the door and it's no surprise. In fact, it is mostly seen as a great honor, in the proper Republic anyway. The Jedi will not abduct the child unwillingly , but it is sort of assumed that everyone will go along with it, and for the most part they do. If they don't, then it is forbidden to train the child in another way, so basically they have to ignore it and let the Force connection kind of die off. Of course, that doesn't always happen either.
I wonder how easy it is for people living in the Republic to say "no" to the Jedi, though. There's a big power imbalance there. Yes it's an honor, but you never see your child again. It's one thing if they go away to boarding school. There's a quote from the novel Yoda: Dark Rendezvous related to this: "Every Jedi is a child his parents decided they could live without."

I wonder how easy it is for people living in the Republic to say "no" to the Jedi, though. There's a big power imbalance there. Yes it's an honor, but you never see your child again. It's one thing if they go away to boarding school. There's a quote from the novel Yoda: Dark Rendezvous related to this: "Every Jedi is a child his parents decided they could live without."
So far it has been presented as a choice, And every time up to now it seemed a willing thing, but is it always really? We want to think so because we want to think the Jedi are good. What really happens if someone said no? But I do not think there is truely a free choice when fully armed powerful people are standing there telling you it is an honor to give them your kid. Just like I am sure they also had free choice to refuse the testing of Mae and Osha (nope)

I don't mind child acting. I don't mind younger or middle-aged adults acting. I don't mind senior citizens acting. Whether you are River Phoenix in Stand By Me or Denzel Washington in Glory or Katharine Hepburn in On Golden Pond, just give a good performance.

For all the PPs that aren't really into child actors or child acting, pick whatever terminology you want, the next SW show on D+ may be a tall task because Skelton Crew is going to be a story focused on 4-children.

I'm in it only for Kerry Condon. She is an absolute treasure.

So far it has been presented as a choice, And every time up to now it seemed a willing thing, but is it always really? We want to think so because we want to think the Jedi are good. But I do not think there is a free choice when fully armed powerful people are standing there telling you it is an honor to give them your kid. Just like I am sure they also had free choice to refuse the testing of Mae and Osha (nope)

That's from our perspective, but it's so ingrained in their society. To send a child to the Jedi is for the greater good. The Jedi aren't seen as armed thugs coming to take your child. They are seen as venerable heroes. The parents want to do this in most cases, and, again, they aren't forced. Now, maybe there's a story of exactly how Republic society came to be that way, but it is what it is. There is a certain pervasive stoicism. I don't think there is any cause to cast aspersions on it though.

It's definitely something I have a lot of bias about! And it's only gotten worse since I started watching Young Jedi Adventures with my son and keep thinking, "these are just KIDS." :D

It's definitely something I have a lot of bias about! And it's only gotten worse since I started watching Young Jedi Adventures with my son and keep thinking, "these are just KIDS." :D

Kids in the Star Wars galaxy grow up very fast. They really act like tiny adults.

I don't mind child acting. I don't mind younger or middle-aged adults acting. I don't mind senior citizens acting. Whether you are River Phoenix in Stand By Me or Denzel Washington in Glory or Katharine Hepburn in On Golden Pond, just give a good performance.

For all the PPs that aren't really into child actors or child acting, pick whatever terminology you want, the next SW show on D+ may be a tall task because Skelton Crew is going to be a story focused on 4-children.

I'm in it only for Kerry Condon. She is an absolute treasure.

River phoenix in “Running on Empty” .. older , but soooo good !

Less than 20% audience score after episode 3. Looks like a colossal waste of $180 Million dollars to me. You can say you like it, but you cannot in any way claim this will be an economically profitable series for Lucasfilm. Yet another failure for KK and team.

Don't have Disney+ anymore so can't watch. Not a huge star wars fan but I watch stuff. I liked Ahsoka. Liked the character and the sets. I am only seeing bits and peieces of this but sets seem very small and dark. Didn't get that feel when I watched Ahsoka.
That to me felt more like waht I am use to in star wars set. But it might be that I am only seeing parts and watching on phone or computer.

River phoenix in “Running on Empty” .. older , but soooo good !
Oh wow I Love that movie. Lots of great underrated acting . River Phoenix was one of my favorite actors . It was such a horrible shock when he died so young. Still makes me sad to think about it. Stand By Me is one of my all time favorite movies.
Yeah good kid acting can be rare, but there are some great examples of it. Need good dialogue and the right director and guidance . The kids in the Harry Potter movies were all good.
I’ve been worried about Skeleton Crew, but I’ve liked Jude Law since Gattaca , so maybe it’ll be ok. Or at least I can go into it knowing it’s kids, and just hope they have a good script, and good direction, but so far I’ve found it lacking for kids in Star Wars .

If they can hit on the kid actors like Stranger Things did, it won't be an issue for Skeleton Crew. Jude Law will also make it a must watch. I'm hoping for shades of his role in A.I. with Haley Joel Osment. I'm looking forward to Skeleton Crew because a Star Wars Goonies sounds like fun.

If they can hit on the kid actors like Stranger Things did, it won't be an issue for Skeleton Crew. Jude Law will also make it a must watch. I'm hoping for shades of his role in A.I. with Haley Joel Osment. I'm looking forward to Skeleton Crew because a Star Wars Goonies sounds like fun.

Stand by me is a very underrated movie imho. I would dare say one of the best Stephen King written movie adaptations.

Oh wow I Love that movie. Lots of great underrated acting . River Phoenix was one of my favorite actors . It was such a horrible shock when he died so young. Still makes me sad to think about it. Stand By Me is one of my all time favorite movies.
Yeah good kid acting can be rare, but there are some great examples of it. Need good dialogue and the right director and guidance . The kids in the Harry Potter movies were all good.
I’ve been worried about Skeleton Crew, but I’ve liked Jude Law since Gattaca , so maybe it’ll be ok. Or at least I can go into it knowing it’s kids, and just hope they have a good script, and good direction, but so far I’ve found it lacking for kids in Star Wars .
Excellent cast ! The "Fire and Rain " scene is one of my all time fave movie scenes

Three episodes in and so far just okay. I’m hoping for a satisfactory resolution to some of the problems raised so far, but fear there wont be. It’s my least favorite Star Wars show at this point.

I can look past the poor acting and not great dialogue, but everyone is cool with the twins being created?
Yes because if we were fine with the "the Force" creating Anakin in a slave woman out of nowhere on a desert planet then we should be able to look past twins being created by a coven of force witches looking to keep their order going. Also, we don't know the full story yet as to "the how" for which she created the twins. There was a reason they didn't want the Jedi to take the twins. The birth mother directly states it. I feel like the Jedi weren't the only ones looking for the twins.

Last edited:
Yes because if we were fine with the "the Force" creating Anakin in a slave woman out of nowhere on a desert planet then we should be able to look past twins being created by a coven of force witches looking to keep their order going. Also, we don't know the full story yet as to "the how" for which she created the twins. There was a reason they didn't want the Jedi to take the twins. The birth mother directly states it. I feel like the Jedi weren't the only ones looking for the twins.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think it will end up being the same as with Anakin. I know these witches aren't the Night Sisters, but they definitely seem somewhat related, and the Night Sisters were into like necromancy and such. I have a feeling that whatever they did was at least mildly disturbing.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest