Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

At one point it was said that do to the supposedly different distances perfect would be just for the challenge but that’s all contingent on this race lasting more than 5 years

Still bitter they don’t do perfect on smaller distances as I’ve done every wine & dine 10k since 2016 and I’d of done both springtime 5Ks pending getting in for the challenge
I can see them not letting it last more than 5 years so they don't have to do perfect, to encourage more people to have to do Club RunDisney to guarantee entry, and switch those "free" Perfect slots to paid Club spots. The cynical part of me thinks they're going to slowly phase out the other weekends and rename them for the same reason. They've definitely gotten into the "why give it for free when we can charge" mindset.

I was listening to a podcast during my run today and Sara Hall was saying how she woke up at 3:45am for the start of the marathon at the world championships. I thought to myself- I’m usually arriving to a Disney race about that time…
I have been to quite a few Ironman & tri races & even the IM Worlds as a spectator & supporter. People being all "it's so early" at 5:30/6am while I am silently laughing cause at Disney we're heading for the bus line at 3am. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I am tempted to try the challenge, but I am saying that as someone who's fitness has depleted to the point where I did 20 squats yesterday and my hamstrings are achy today!
I'm signed up for a 10 mile race in October and right now I'm only running 5K :eek:. I've been using a program which figures I'll be there by the time of the race, but I'm skeptical. Worst case scenario I walk part of it.

I also have the issue of an April race when weather here leading up to that point makes it impossible to run outside most (if not all) days. Hoping I can work some sort of program out between other activities (skiing/snowboarding/etc) and treadmill.

Last edited:
I'm signed up for a 10 mile race in October and right now I'm only running 5K :eek:. I've been using a program which figures I'll be there by the time of the race, but I'm skeptical. Worst case scenario I walk part of it.

I also have the issue of an April race when weather here leading up to that point make it impossible to run outside most (if not all) days. Hoping I can work some sort of program out between other activities (skiing/snowboarding/etc) and treadmill.
I went from running nothing in July 2021 to running a half in November 2021. You’ll be fine. As far as winter running, as long as there isn’t ice on the roads, don’t be afraid of the cold. Some of my fastest/most enjoyable training runs were in December and January in Minnesota.

I rather like the themes, though they’re not my favorite Pixar movies. But why, WHY must the themes look so good?! And the challenge looks very appealing :scratchin

Speaking strictly to the Virtual Springtime Surprise races—I realize that there were also registration price differences between the various virtual race distances in 2022. But, can anyone think of a legitimate reason why the prices are different across the virtual races? They don’t need extra (read: any) staff or refreshments for the longer distances. You don’t get more SWAG as the distance increases (unless you do Challenge obviously). If giving me an additional mile marker pdf and changing the 3 to a 4 costs me another $5, I can forego the mile markers!

Speaking strictly to the Virtual Springtime Surprise races—I realize that there were also registration price differences between the various virtual race distances in 2022. But, can anyone think of a legitimate reason why the prices are different across the virtual races? They don’t need extra (read: any) staff or refreshments for the longer distances. You don’t get more SWAG as the distance increases (unless you do Challenge obviously). If giving me an additional mile marker pdf and changing the 3 to a 4 costs me another $5, I can forego the mile markers!

Disney. The answer is "Disney". :P

Yeah, the virtual pricing is kind of silly. I think what the consensus was it that they just charge a % of the the in-person cost is---if you compare the W&D challenge to the PW challenge, W&D virtual costs more....for some reason? And the assumption there is either it's because of the long-sleeve shirts, or becaese it's % based and they didn't factor in the part where in-person includes a party ticket and the gift card.

So yeah.

Is there (or will there be) a training plan for the Springtime Surprise challenge? I see Galloway plans for Dopey and Goofy. I guess I could just do the 10 miler plan and also include some back to back runs on the weekends? I've just never done a challenge before.

No T-Shirt bundle? Somewhat surprised by that. Last time there were pre-orders (Marathon weekend?), I was able to get the "finsher" t-shirts in the pre-order.

No T-Shirt bundle? Somewhat surprised by that. Last time there were pre-orders (Marathon weekend?), I was able to get the "finsher" t-shirts in the pre-order.

I don't recall that being a regular thing, though. I don't think we've been able to pre-order those at every race.

I miss the logo pin/magnet or logo pin/replica pin/magnet option…

Now to decide if it’s worth the hefty price to guarantee I get at least one pin per distance or not….

FWIW last year we got to the expo just after it opened to the general public it was a 2 hour wait to get into the merchandise area and they only had the I did it pins and shirts still available for Everest (I was lucky and caught them restocking magnets but CMs were telling others to get magnets printed at dtech on demand…not the same)

I miss the logo pin/magnet or logo pin/replica pin/magnet option…

Now to decide if it’s worth the hefty price to guarantee I get at least one pin per distance or not….

FWIW last year we got to the expo just after it opened to the general public it was a 2 hour wait to get into the merchandise area and they only had the I did it pins and shirts still available for Everest (I was lucky and caught them restocking magnets but CMs were telling others to get magnets printed at dtech on demand…not the same)
Were the DTech magnets different style?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter