Spinal Decompression vs Surgery...L5/S1 herniated disk

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
I have a herniated disk in my L5/S1. I had an epidural cortisone shot...didn't help. I have my follow-up tomorrow with the orthopedic surgeon. I'm expecting to hear that my only other option is surgery. I'm only 43 years old. Up until this issue, I have been a very active person...in good shape and normal weight. I definitely cannot simply go on the way that I currently am. Not only is it not ok with me to be in pain all the time, but I want to go back to being active.

Today I had a consult for spinal decompression. Supposedly it has a very very high success rate. It is also ridiculously expensive. Technically, we can afford it...and if I knew it would work, I probably would just go for it. I really don't want o start having back surgeries at my age. BUT....just because we can afford it, doesn't make it a good decision. I'm not one to throw thousands of dollars away. The idea sounds great...but I felt like I was getting a nice sales pitch. A little too hard of a sales pitch.

I don't know what to do. I need to 'get better.' I don't know who to believe or trust...which road to take.

Jess

My husband had a minimally invasive discectomy for herniated discs. It was the best thing he did after years of cortisone injections that were no longer helping. It was a relatively simple surgery, he was on his way home by 11am same day. I would look into it.

BTW, it often takes two shots for you to feel better. And they may need to be repeated yearly or so. But for many people, those help. If you really don't want surgery at this time.

I know what you mean about the "sales pitch" for a non-surgical solution. I've have a herniated disc for years, and it's never been bad enough for surgery, but I did consult with one of those VAX-D places. This is just my experience, but that guy seemed like he was trying to sell me a used car and he used scare tactics telling me what WILL happen If I don't do the treatment. I had already talked to a great surgeon and he said we can either do the surgery or wait until it gets worse. It's been over 10 years and hasn't gotten worse. I'll trust a legitimate surgeon over a place that is just trying to sell me on a service. The surgery isn't even that bad anymore, so I'd probably go that route should I ever need it.

Been there...done that. I've had two discectomies on my L5/S1 and I would absolutely do it again. I was in agony going in to surgery. Unable to walk. Crying in pain (and I have a very high tolerance). I woke up from surgery 95% pain free and was back to riding horses and working around my farm, throwing bales of hay and lifting 50lb bags of feed within a few months. The surgery was outpatient. Went home same day.

I don't know what "spinal decompression" is, but my surgery was described as a microdiscectomy of L5/S1 with transpedial decompression. I was told that the transpedial decompression was them lifting the bit of disc off of the nerve it was sitting on that was causing the shooting agony down my leg.

Age is meaningless. I was 33 at my first surgery and 37 at the second (the disc reherniated). My disc herniated due to DDD (degenerative disc disease). I'm 40 now and the only reason I'm not outside right now hauling hay and feed and riding is because I had a hysterectomy on Monday LOL.

The pain relief after the back surgery was permanent. Sure there were days I was like "oh man I over did it today" but never anything near like what it was. I am very conscious of how I move now and lift things.

I had ACDF done the first time on T4-5 in 2009,I was 36. I went into surgery with little feeling left in my right arm, and facial numbness. My MRI revealed a serious nerve impingement 75%, I had the procedure, and woke up feeling like I could do cartwheels! Pain gone numbness gone tingling gone. It was the best decision I could have made. In 2014, I was rear ended, hard, twice in the same accident. My fusion had healed beautifully, but I was having issues, and after the usual pt stint, I had another MRI, which revealed my original fusion was fine, but T5 to T6-7, not so much. I ended up having an additional procedure. I refused to be a slave to any sort of prescription indefinitely. They placed vertebral spacers, a vertebral cage, a plate and some nice screws:) a little more invasive than my first go round. I felt good, but I haven't healed as well as the first time. Meaning, I'm good but not great. Better without question, but I get migraines a good bit now. And the stress caused some unintended side effects, like my damn hair falling out.
Suffice it to say I don't regret it. However- I searched for a highly qualified, zero complaints, well recommended NEUROSURGEON. This is not an area in medicine I'd take lightly. The "spinal solutions" and in and out super fast with a one inch inscision, are not highly qualified Neurosurgeons, and imho, I wouldn't trust my spine, nerves etc to anyone who made me feel like I was being "sold" on something. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

My husband has had 2 back surgeries to repair a herniated disc. The same one both times. The last surgery was 15 years ago.

He has had some numbness the last couple of months and went back to see his original orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon referred him to a neurologist who does the IDD treatment. He said my husband would be an ideal candidate for this non surgical procedure and it would probably fix his problem.

His orthopedic surgeon has no incentive to recommend this treatment. He only gets paid from us if he does another back surgery on my husband, so I trust that it is a valid treatment.

Just went to see the neurologist this morning. He looked at the mri and did a nerve test and said the IDD treatment would be what he recommends. It is also covered by our insurance company, so he no ahead with it.

Op, I would get a second opinion to make sure you are an ideal candidate for a non surgical procedure. An opinion from someone you trust. Also check with your insurance company. It may be covered at little or no cost to you.

Goodluck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter