southwest question

buzz2400

<font color=teal>The TF waves to buzz2400's DS
Scenario is flight is not a direct flight. So say the first flight is at 10 a.m., you check in 24 hours before and get your A,B or C number. But then you have connecting flight at 1 p.m., do I have to check in again 24 hours before that to get my boarding letter. How does that work?

Scenario is flight is not a direct flight. So say the first flight is at 10 a.m., you check in 24 hours before and get your A,B or C number. But then you have connecting flight at 1 p.m., do I have to check in again 24 hours before that to get my boarding letter. How does that work?

No, when you check in, it will automatically check you in for your connecting flight as well. You will get both boarding passes at once.

When you book a single flight that has stops in between, your check-in for the first flight will cover any connecting flights at the same time.

If you are booking your own layover and paying separately for each leg of your trip, then you would have to check in to each leg at 24 hours (or fork over the Early bird fee to let the system do it for you). I only mention that because I have done this in the past (booked individual tickets for each leg because I had another party I was meeting up with at the first layover) - it's not a common scenario but worth mentioning as we don't know how you booked your tickets.

would you have the same boarding pass letter and number for both flights?

would you have the same boarding pass letter and number for both flights?
Nope because each flight may have people who are on a layover like you, and people who are boarding just that flight. I fly southwest a lot for work and it's inconsistent whether I get a better or worse boarding position on the layover flights....it really depends on how many people paid for the early bird check in on each individual flight.

Did you book each individual segment separately? Or together?

Separately means you booked:
Airport A to Airport B
Airport B to Airport C

Together is:
Airport A to Airport C and there's a layover.

If separately, then they have separate check in times. If together, then when you check in for the early flight, you're also checked in for the second flight.

thank you for your responses. You answered my question.

Another thing I will add because I find its often overlooked with Southwest connecting flights - make sure you are at your gate for your connecting flight at least 30 minutes prior. Southwest typically begins boarding 30 minutes prior to the flight time, so if where you sit is important to you, you'll want to make sure you're there when your position is called. If there are carry over passengers remaining on the plane, its especially important you board on time with your position if you have preference on where you sit. I have walked up to my gate during boarding when my boarding position has passed and you are able to board immediately in that case, but you lose the advantage of having an earlier boarding position then. This would be more impactful for those who pay for EBCI, because you'd be losing some of the value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter