Son just moved to Florida, car registration issue/question?

disneyfanforever

DIS Veteran
My son just moved to Florida, and we have a question regarding car registration and I hope someone here has some experience with this issue. He is going to go to the DMV to get his Florida license, but we are not sure what to do about his car tags. His car is technically still in my name so do I need to somehow transfer the title to him or can he just drive with out of state tags since the car is not in his name? He is now across the country so we can‘t just drop off the title. What should we do? Thanks!

I would also......maybe quietly.....look into if any of this impacts the insurance on the car. You don't want a surprise if a claim comes up and the insurance wants to know why the car is in Florida, registered in a different state, and driven by someone with a Florida Driver's license.
I only know about California law, and to be honest, having retired from a job where we had high turn over and lots of staff from out of state, many just ignored the law.

You need to transfer the title to him so he can register it in FL. If you leave it registered to you and he is involved in an accident, its gonna be a big old headache. The insurance company can consider it fraud if you don't call them and update the state coverage to FL.

Is there any way to transfer a car title online these days? I don’t mind signing it over to him but I don’t really want to mail it and I can’t go to Florida anytime soon to give it to him.

Read the insurance documents. See what his coverage says about living out of state. I‘d feel uneasy about Risks when making a claim. Say a coworker backs out T-boning him, police report mentions coworker? Or neighbor’s kid knocks a basketball hoop down on the car, and report says ‘neighbor’ with a FL address. I wouldn’t enjoy paying out of pocket to avoid opening a can of worms with insurance company.

Is there any way to transfer a car title online these days? I don’t mind signing it over to him but I don’t really want to mail it and I can’t go to Florida anytime soon to give it to him.
Well, I Googled that and it appears that the answer is maybe. I say that because it seems to indicate transferring a FLORIDA title to another person in FLORIDA can be done online. The DMV page keeps crashing on me, but it does not mention what is possible with an out of state title.

Thank for the information. We just didn't think about all of this when he moved. He is still on our car insurance along with the vehicle being in our name so it sounds like we will need to transfer the car title to him and he will need to get his own Florida insurance and register the car there. Does that sound right? I will call my insurance agent tomorrow as well to get further information about our currently policy.

Thank for the information. We just didn't think about all of this when he moved. He is still on our car insurance along with the vehicle being in our name so it sounds like we will need to transfer the car title to him and he will need to get his own Florida insurance and register the car there. Does that sound right? I will call my insurance agent tomorrow as well to get further information about our currently policy.

Yes, he will need to do all those things.

I know a LITTLE about this because we see customers move cars from one state to another. I cannot speak for the insurance part, but the titles part I see on a regular basis.

Every state seems to have different rules. Basically his name will have to be on the title if he wants to get Florida plates on the car with a Florida title and registration. The easiest way to do that is for you to sign the paper title you have as seller and send him the title. It would be a good idea to pre-fill his information as buyer as well. That way if it gets lost in transit, nobody could do anything with it because the title would have his information on it. The downside is he will probably have to pay sales tax on the car.

SOME states you could stay on the title with him by having your name in the buyers section as well, or appearing in person at the "tax collector office" to have both of your names on that title....SOME states forbid any non-resident of a state from being on a car title in that state. I just don't know if Florida is that way or not. If you try this, he will still be on the hook for sales tax, if the person at the Tax Collector office is in a good mood, he/she MIGHT reduce the sales tax down to 50% of what it would normally cost since you are just adding his name to the title. I know for sure Florida is that much of a stickler for collecting their taxes because we have seen Florida customers get really upset when they add a husband/wife to a title and the state charges sales tax on a car they already own.

Depending on the state you live in, titles are GENERALLY easy to replace if it gets lost in transit. I would suggest sending it via FedEx or UPS with a tracking number so that it would be a bit more secure. MOST states if it does get lost, it can be replaced for pretty cheap, unless you live in say Wisconsin, they seem to have some CRAZY expensive paper. If you lose an Illinois title, it can be replaced, but it is going to take a long time. The main thing is NOT to leave the buyer section open. If an open ended title got lost in transit, it would be VERY UNLIKELY somebody would go to all the time and trouble to fill in their info, steal the car and make it legally their own, but I suppose it is possible. Filling in his info in the buyer section would make it impossible however. So sending it would be pretty much a "no risk" scenario. You will have to sign it, because if he brings in an unsigned title, they will just send him away and tell him to come back when it is signed. Some states will also require a notary when signing off titles, so be sure to check that as well.

We had the same issue when DD moved to FL and was driving a car that was in our name. When she eventually settled and went to get a FL license we 'sold' her the car for a very small amount-- like $5 plus love and affection (or whatever the terminology is). She didn't have to pay sales tax-- or if she did it wasn't enough for her to say anything to us about it.

She did get insurance on her own. She was over 25 and maybe had 1 speeding ticket on her record that was a few years old. She called around and I'm not sure who she ended up getting it through.

My son has lived out of state for seasonal work a number of times. He’s on his 3rd state. Since he still lists our house as his permanent residence, we haven’t changed anything. I do think I should transfer the car to his name at some point. In Kentucky you can transfer a vehicle to a relative without paying taxes, just a small fee. I’ve never informed the insurance company that he has been out of state. If it looks like he might stay where he is this time I’ll take it up with them then.

Title docs I’ve had usually have a space on the bottom to sign it over to someone else. If it were me I’d sign it at the bottom, get it notarized if that’s required and FedEx or ups it to him after making a copy. Then take that car off your insurance. It’s all up to him to register the car and keep the title in a safe place.

My son has lived out of state for seasonal work a number of times. He’s on his 3rd state. Since he still lists our house as his permanent residence, we haven’t changed anything. I do think I should transfer the car to his name at some point. In Kentucky you can transfer a vehicle to a relative without paying taxes, just a small fee. I’ve never informed the insurance company that he has been out of state. If it looks like he might stay where he is this time I’ll take it up with them then.

You should probably discuss this situation with your insurance company. Premiums are based on where the car "lives". You could be overpaying or underpaying. And if something happens to that car in a different state, and you didn't disclose that the car is primarily being used there, they could refuse to cover it and drop you as a customer.

Just a quick heads up. Florida hits you hard the first year you register a car. After that taxes and tags are very reasonable. But prepare for a first year soaking.

Thank you everybody for the reply. I have called my insurance agent and he is checking into the matter so I hope to hear from him soon. I am concerned about the 10 day requirement but I'm not sure if this would apply to my son since he is not listed as the owner at this time and therefore can't register it.

Thank you everybody for the reply. I have called my insurance agent and he is checking into the matter so I hope to hear from him soon. I am concerned about the 10 day requirement but I'm not sure if this would apply to my son since he is not listed as the owner at this time and therefore can't register it.
You do need to check that. I say that because in California, it is 10 days after you establish residence or start working in the state, which ever is first.
Many of my co-workers had to temporarily register their cars at their work address since they were still living in a residential hotel and had not found permanent housing yet.

. The downside is he will probably have to pay sales tax on the car.
Some states don't charge sales tax on ownership changes between parents and children, and children and parents. However, I think another issue that comes up, the car has to be at least one year old. They don't want people skipping out on sales tax by bring a new car in the state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter