• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." - 1st Training Journal (comments welcome!)

Thursday, August 5, 2021
Normally I wait until later in the day to post about a run, but I'm too excited about this one to wait lol. Last night's forecast called for rain this morning, so I figured I'd play it by ear. If the weather was bad this morning, I'd wait for this afternoon. This morning when I woke up it was just a little misty, so I got myself ready, did a 5 minute pre-run warm up, and headed out.

I was actually looking forward to today's run. The Galloway plan just called for a 30 minute run, but I made a new playlist last night that I was excited to try out, and I planned to do a magic mile. Looking back at this journal last night (I'm SO glad I started doing this) I realized I did two magic miles last year. The first one was on 8/8/20, and I completed it in 11:11. I was a mess that day, I was totally over thinking it and stressing out for no good reason. The second was 9/5/20, with a much better mindset, and I completed it in 10:30. Today I was just interested in seeing how I'd do. I only started running consistently again this July, and I was just aiming to finish in about the same time as the first one.

START:
Weather Conditions: Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 66 + 64 = 130
Feels Like: 66
Wind: N 11 mph
Humidity: 94%
UV Index: 0
Running Conditions Index: 7

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 67 + 64 = 131
Feels Like: 67
Wind: N 10 mph
Humidity: 92%
UV Index: 1

I was so happy with the weather. It was cloudy and almost dreary looking, but it felt so good for August! No complaints here!

Outdoor Walk:
Focus: Warm up
Distance: 0.50 mi
Total Time: 0:08:49
Avg. Pace: 17'33"/mi

After my half mile walk, I did a 10 min WU:

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
10 min WU (60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 0.72 mi
Total Time: 0:10:37
Avg. Pace: 14'36"/mi
Splits:
0.72 =
14'36"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus: 10 min WU (60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 0.72 mi
Total Time: 0:10:31
Avg. Pace: 14'30"/mi

After the WU I started the Magic Mile. My only plan was to take minimal walk breaks. I ran until 0.54, took a short walk break, and then ran the remainder:

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Galloway Magic Mile
Distance: 1.00 mi
Total Time: 0:10:27
Avg. Pace: 10'23"/mi
Splits:
1 =
10'21"

I was so excited when I saw my time! Not that it's fast by most standards, but it's still good for me! :woohoo: I ran hard, but I didn't feel like I was going to die, so that was good lol.

After the mile, I did a 10 min cool down...:

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
10 min Cool Down (60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 0.67 mi
Total Time: 0:10:02
Avg. Pace: 14'54"/mi
Splits:
0.67 =
14'54"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus: 10 min Cool Down (60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 0.67 mi
Total Time: 0:10:01
Avg. Pace: 14'51"/mi

and finished with my half mile walk:

Outdoor Walk:
Focus: Cool down
Total Time: 0:09:01
Avg. Pace: 17'55"/mi

(Edit to add: Completed a 5 min post-run stretch when I got back home. I want to make sure I keep track of that for future reference.)

Today was definitely another feel good run. I never say this but I'm proud of where I am at this point. I feel like I was able to pick up where I left off last year, which makes me think my goals aren't completely out of reach. Looking forward to the next run!

Last edited:
Thoughts on the pacing? Ignore the one mile at 9:49 as I readjusted the values based on Daniels HM equivalent to a 10:23 mile.

View attachment 594940

View attachment 594939
It looks like the main difference between the two is in the half marathon and marathon pace. Is there any difference in benefits overall between options A & B? I consider myself a slow runner so I’m leaning towards A, but I’m not sure if I’m selling myself short since the run duration is shorter.

It looks like the main difference between the two is in the half marathon and marathon pace. Is there any difference in benefits overall between options A & B? I consider myself a slow runner so I’m leaning towards A, but I’m not sure if I’m selling myself short since the run duration is shorter.

No real advantage of one over the other. It's about personal preference and style. Some like to run longer and slower during each interval, and others like to run faster but shorter. There are those that don't like the shorter start/stop intervals as much (90/30 vs 45/30). Either can be successful in the long term.

No real advantage of one over the other. It's about personal preference and style. Some like to run longer and slower during each interval, and others like to run faster but shorter. There are those that don't like the shorter start/stop intervals as much (90/30 vs 45/30). Either can be successful in the long term.
Okay, that makes sense. I’ll stick with A, I think I’d prefer the longer run intervals.

Also wanted to mention my Lululemon leggings and shorts came today. They feel amazing but I ordered them too big. I ventured to the store today (my nightmare realized...) to try on a smaller size. Apparently I ordered them 2 sizes too big! :rolleyes1 They had the leggings in the store but not the shorts, so I returned them and I'll rebuy them eventually. (I think the shorts had 7 pockets!)

After trying on a pair, I can definitely understand why people love them. They were so much more comfortable than any other leggings I've owned! I'm interested to see how they feel during a run, and long they last. To be continued!

Saturday, August 7, 2021
Today's long run was scheduled for 7 miles. Last night I decided to update my intervals to reflect the new pacing from my upcoming @DopeyBadger training plan. I figured it's not that far off from what I'm already doing, but if it bothered me within the long run I'd just change it up.

I woke up a little late this morning, but I was able to get ready and get a 5 min pre-run stretch in before walking out the door. I would've liked to have eaten something before, but I didn't have much to work with and I didn't have time to improvise. I ended up eating 2 or 3 green apple slices and a couple cheese cubes from a snack pack before I left. Definitely not my proudest moment.

START:
Weather Conditions: Partly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 71 + 67 = 138
Feels Like: 71
Wind: WSW 3 mph
Humidity: 88%

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 77 + 67 = 144
Feels Like: 77
Wind: SSW 8 mph
Humidity: 73%
UV Index: 3

I brought sport beans with me, but I never ended up opening them. I didn't have a plan in mind for them, and I didn't run with water (I had water available but not during the entire length of the run), so I was a little hesitant.

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:18
Avg. Pace: 18'26"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Galloway Marathon Training - 7 mile run (01:19/30 @ 13:40~14:00/17:30 paces)
Distance: 7.01 mi
Total Time: 1:43:04
Avg. Pace: 14'41"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'06"
2 = 14'18"
3 = 14'47"
4 = 15'09"
5 = 14'43"
6 = 14'49"
7 = 14'49"
0.01 = 19'21"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus: Galloway Marathon Training - 7 mile run (01:19/30 @ 13:40~14:00/17:30 paces)
Distance: 7.01 mi
Total Time: 1:42:55
Avg. Pace: 14'40"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'09"
2 = 14'19"
3 = 14'49"
4 = 15'07"
5 = 14'42"
6 = 14'52"
7 = 14'49"

I stopped for water during mile 4 and mile 6. The first stop was awkward and time consuming (not at all surprised with my time that mile), but the second was a little more smooth. When I set the intervals app I figured if I ran with the exact pacing I should finish in 1:42:05. I gave myself extra intervals just in case, but I was very satisfied with my end time being so close!

I completed my half mile walk...:

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:28
Avg. Pace: 18'53"/mi

...and when I got home I completed a 10 min post-run stretch, followed by 10 min of foam rolling.

I had some errands to run today, which kept me moving. I had to go to Dick's, so while I was there I picked up another fuel to try: Gatorade Energy Chews. As I continue training and start experimenting with fuel, I'll keep trying different ones until I find my match! Another errand involved me heading to packet pick up for the live 10K race I'm not running tomorrow :(. I'm bummed because I really enjoy this race, and I was so excited to register for it when it returned live this year. However, I know I have to trust my gut and give this one up. I don't completely regret it for a couple of reasons: a) it's a narrow course and a popular race, so I know I'd be uncomfortable; b) with the POT change, I know my time wouldn't be fast enough for princess anyway; c) it's $25 lost, but at least I know some of it will help the race company; d) I was able to pick up some of my gear, including my bib and my t-shirt, so I guess I can say I made the race virtual myself and completed it during my 7 mile run this morning!

Galloway Week 6

Woke up to rain this morning. The 10K I was registered for is rain or shine, and the rain would result in a very messy/muddy route. I guess the universe is trying to show me that I made the right decision... :rolleyes1

How about this?
Looks good! It feels a lot more attainable than the long Galloway runs, so I'm already breathing a little better lol. I have 2 dates that might be problematic, but I'm going to try to work through them. One date involves a trip I'm most likely cancelling anyway, so it's probably a nonissue. The other involves a work conference, but it was cancelled last year so I'm going to wait until it gets closer before figuring out those logistics.

Thank you SOOO much! Looking forward to tomorrow's run! :thanks:

Tuesday, August 10, 2021
New color for a new training plan!:flower:

Yesterday was another day where I didn't eat dinner because I ate lunch too late. Despite that, I slept really well last night. For the first time in a long time I woke up feeling well rested! I took my time getting up and getting ready, did a 5 min pre-run warm up, and then headed out the door.

START:
Temp + Dew Point: 72 + 70 = 142
Feels Like: 72
Wind: SSE 4 mph
Humidity: 94%
Running Conditions Index: 6

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 73 + 71 = 144
Feels Like: 73
Wind: SSE 7 mph
Humidity: 93%

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:06
Avg. Pace: 18'01"/mi

This morning's run was a decent one. I'm working on getting used to the longer run intervals, determining how many intervals I need to set for each distance, and trying to find the right rhythm for the right pacing. I found myself running too fast, but the notifications from the intervals app were too all over the place to try to correct it in the moment. Last year I learned not to get too crazy over the intervals app timing, so I decided to try my best on the intervals, wait until I hit the 1 mile mark to see what my average pace was, and then adjust from there. After the first mile I realized I was too fast, so I tried to slow down the next one.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus: Marathon Training - 2 miles @ 80/30 sec @ 13:45/17:30 paces
Distance: 2.05 mi
Total Time: 0:29:10
Avg. Pace: 14'14"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'02"
2 = 14'20"
0.05 = 15'57"

(Intervals Pro)
Distance: 2.04 mi
Total Time: 0:28:58
Avg. Pace: 14'10"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'02"
2 = 14'22"
3 = 14'03"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:08
Avg. Pace: 18'12"/mi

Once I got home I completed a 5 min post-run stretch, and then had some chocolate milk and a half a bagel with peanut butter for breakfast.

Oh I almost forgot to mention, I tried out my new lululemon leggings for today's run. I realllllly like them! I felt like the waist was still a little too big, but I was able to tie the string to eliminate that issue. I also found the side pockets must sit differently compared to my old leggings, because I found myself hitting my hand on my phone during some of the walk intervals. Not a huge issue, but something I needed to be more aware of. Not having an inner seam was a game changer. Overall I was very happy with them. Hopefully they'll last a long time!

Thursday, August 12, 2021
I enjoy exercising in the summer, probably because I have more time. I can get a run done in early the morning before the heat and the exhaustion of the day really sets in. That being said, I do NOT enjoy the heat. To top it off, this morning was not an option for a run, and it was expected to be a hot day!

I knew today's run would have to happen this afternoon, and I was okay with it because it would be around the same time I'll need to be running once my schedule picks up again. What I wasn't prepared for was the heat advisory. I was determined to get this run in, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about how it would go. As the day wound down, I got myself ready and headed out.

With my nerves, I forgot to do a 5 min pre-run warmup, so I just did a quick stretch before I started.

START:
Weather Conditions: Sunny
Temp + Dew Point: 89 + 73 = 162
Feels Like: 99
Wind: SSW 13 mph
Humidity: 59%
Running Conditions Index: 1
Misc: Excessive Heat Warning
(I should note, before I got ready the running conditions index was a 4. Once I got started I saw it dropped to a 1 due to a high chance of thunderstorms. This was completely unexpected, and I was just hoping I'd finish before that started!)

END:
Weather Conditions: Fair
Temp + Dew Point: 85 + 72 = 157
Feels Like: 91
Wind: SSW 10 mph
Humidity: 65%
Running Conditions Index: 5
Misc: Excessive Heat Warning

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:21
Avg. Pace: 18'39"/mi

I decided before I left the house that I was going to do the run, but really take it easy and listen to my body. I added extra intervals to the intervals app, just in case my pace was slower than anticipated. I was going to listen to the walk/run intervals, but I was going to run at a feel good pace instead of worrying about the actual pace. If it was too hot, I'd just do what I could. The location I ran in today had a nice breeze, so that definitely helped. Almost halfway through the run, I started to see a large, dark cloud, and eventually started to feel rain drops. This was slightly crushing, because I was out there and I just wanted to finish. I started to head back early, but somehow I left the rain behind. Definitely a scattered shower type of rain! I was able to finish the 3 miles, and continued with the NRC app to 3.10 so I could count it towards my 2nd runDisney virtual series run!

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Marathon Training - 3 miles @ 80/30 sec @ 13:45/17:30 paces + runDisney Virtual 5K - The Broadway Phenomenon
Distance: 3.10 mi
Total Time: 0:44:59
Avg. Pace: 14'30"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'17"
2 = 14'36"
3 = 14'24"
0.10 = 16'57"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus: Marathon Training - 3 miles @ 80/30 sec @ 13:45/17:30 paces
Distance: 3.01 mi
Total Time: 0:43:28
Avg. Pace: 14'25"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'19"
2 = 14'36"
3 = 14'24"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:34
Avg. Pace: 19'07"/mi

When I got back I had some chocolate milk, did a 5 min post-run stretch, and did a 10 minute core workout before hitting the shower!

Today was another feel good run, this time mentally. I was so proud of myself for going out there and getting it done, even with the heat and my nerves. Not to mention, I ended up pretty much on pace even with a couple brief stops for water/Powerade. Earlier today I was almost wishing I owned a treadmill. Now I know that when things get tough I can look back on today's run and say "If you did it then, you can do it now!"

Yesterday was an incredibly busy day, so I decided to make this one post for both weekend runs.

Saturday, August 14, 2021
I decided to go back to my route I ran last year, because I've been getting a lot of mosquito bites recently. On the weekends, this requires me to wake up earlier than usual if I want to run in the morning, and of course on this day I woke up late. I quickly got myself ready and got out the door, but it meant missing my 5 min pre-run warmup, so I did a very brief stretch outside before starting.

START:
Temp + Dew Point: 78 + 73 = 151
Feels Like: 78
Wind: SSW 6 mph
Humidity: 86%

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 80 + 74 = 154
Feels Like: 86
Wind: SW 7 mph
Humidity: 81%

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:33
Avg. Pace: 19'03"/mi

Today's run was a hot one. I won't lie, it was tough. Thursday was worse, but I guess I was more mentally prepared for that one because it was so hot all day. I took my time this morning and put more focus on feeling instead of timing with each interval, due to how hot it was. Unfortunately I didn't think to add intervals to my 2 mile timer before I began running, so the Intervals app stopped short of 2 miles. I continued with the Nike app until I got to 2 miles.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Marathon Training - 2 miles @ 80/30 sec @ 13:45/17:30 paces
Distance: 2.01 mi
Total Time: 0:29:47
Avg. Pace: 14'49"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'38"
2 = 15'02"
0.01 = 12'09"

(Intervals Pro)
Distance: 1.96 mi
Total Time: 0:28:56
Avg. Pace: 14'44"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'37"
2 = 14'53"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:35
Avg. Pace: 19'05"/mi

I got back home, did a 5 minute post-run stretch, and then headed straight for the shower before eating breakfast and getting through the rest of the busy day.

Sunday, August 15, 2021
Despite being exhausted the night before, and falling asleep off and on a couple times throughout the night, I was able to wake up at a decent time this morning. I was slightly sore this morning, but nothing too terrible or limiting. I got myself ready and got a 5 minute pre-run warmup in before leaving the house. The weather today was so different compared to yesterday!

START:
Temp + Dew Point: 70 + 57 = 127
Feels Like: 70
Humidity: 63%
Running Conditions Index: 9

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 71 + 58 = 129

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:42
Avg. Pace: 19'18"/mi

Today's run was better than yesterday. It did get warmer, but overall it was much more comfortable. No complaints. I wish I had remembered that I could've done 3.10 to complete the summer virtual series, but I've still got time so I'll do that during my next 3 mile run.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Marathon Training - 3 miles @ 80/30 sec @ 13:45/17:30 paces
Distance: 3.03 mi
Total Time: 0:43:39
Avg. Pace: 14'23"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'12"
2 = 14'29"
3 = 14'24"
0.01 = 15'39"

(Intervals Pro)
Total Time: 0:43:32
Avg. Pace: 14'22"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'16"
2 = 14'29"
3 = 14'24"
4 = 13'01"

Outdoor Walk:
Avg. Pace: 18'06"/mi

I did a 5 minute post-run stretch, took a shower, and had chocolate milk and half a bagel with peanut butter for breakfast.

This weekend was a a decent running weekend. I did get tired after running some errands and actually took a nap earlier this afternoon. I'm not sure if it's from the heat we've had all week, the long day I had yesterday, not sleeping through the night the last two nights, the back to back runs (even though they were short and easy paced), or a combination of them all. I felt fine afterwards though, no soreness or anything.

During one of the times I woke up last night, I started looking into hydration options and found these from Nathan:
I looked back briefly at the marathon tips thread I started, but I didn't see them there. Did someone mention or recommend these in a different runDisney thread? Anyone have any experience with any of these types of hydration options? I'm not a fan of running and holding on to things, but I'm wondering if this will be more tolerable since it's strapped to your hand. They come in different sizes, and some have insulated bottles which could help keep the water a little colder. I'm willing to try one of them (or something similar) because if I like it it'll definitely help with trying out different fueling and hydration options.

Yesterday was an incredibly busy day, so I decided to make this one post for both weekend runs.

Saturday, August 14, 2021
I decided to go back to my route I ran last year, because I've been getting a lot of mosquito bites recently. On the weekends, this requires me to wake up earlier than usual if I want to run in the morning, and of course on this day I woke up late. I quickly got myself ready and got out the door, but it meant missing my 5 min pre-run warmup, so I did a very brief stretch outside before starting.

START:
Temp + Dew Point: 78 + 73 = 151
Feels Like: 78
Wind: SSW 6 mph
Humidity: 86%

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 80 + 74 = 154
Feels Like: 86
Wind: SW 7 mph
Humidity: 81%

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:33
Avg. Pace: 19'03"/mi

Today's run was a hot one. I won't lie, it was tough. Thursday was worse, but I guess I was more mentally prepared for that one because it was so hot all day. I took my time this morning and put more focus on feeling instead of timing with each interval, due to how hot it was. Unfortunately I didn't think to add intervals to my 2 mile timer before I began running, so the Intervals app stopped short of 2 miles. I continued with the Nike app until I got to 2 miles.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Distance: 2.01 mi
Total Time: 0:29:47
Avg. Pace: 14'49"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'38"
2 = 15'02"
0.01 = 12'09"

(Intervals Pro)
Distance: 1.96 mi
Total Time: 0:28:56
Avg. Pace: 14'44"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'37"
2 = 14'53"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:35
Avg. Pace: 19'05"/mi

I got back home, did a 5 minute post-run stretch, and then headed straight for the shower before eating breakfast and getting through the rest of the busy day.

Sunday, August 15, 2021
Despite being exhausted the night before, and falling asleep off and on a couple times throughout the night, I was able to wake up at a decent time this morning. I was slightly sore this morning, but nothing too terrible or limiting. I got myself ready and got a 5 minute pre-run warmup in before leaving the house. The weather today was so different compared to yesterday!

START:
Temp + Dew Point: 70 + 57 = 127

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 71 + 58 = 129

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:42
Avg. Pace: 19'18"/mi

Today's run was better than yesterday. It did get warmer, but overall it was much more comfortable. No complaints. I wish I had remembered that I could've done 3.10 to complete the summer virtual series, but I've still got time so I'll do that during my next 3 mile run.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Marathon Training - 3 miles @ 80/30 sec @ 13:45/17:30 paces
Total Time: 0:43:39
Avg. Pace: 14'23"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'12"
2 = 14'29"
3 = 14'24"
0.01 = 15'39"

(Intervals Pro)
Total Time: 0:43:32
Avg. Pace: 14'22"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'16"
2 = 14'29"
3 = 14'24"
4 = 13'01"

Outdoor Walk:
Avg. Pace: 18'06"/mi

I did a 5 minute post-run stretch, took a shower, and had chocolate milk and half a bagel with peanut butter for breakfast.

This weekend was a a decent running weekend. I did get tired after running some errands and actually took a nap earlier this afternoon. I'm not sure if it's from the heat we've had all week, the long day I had yesterday, not sleeping through the night the last two nights, the back to back runs (even though they were short and easy paced), or a combination of them all. I felt fine afterwards though, no soreness or anything.

During one of the times I woke up last night, I started looking into hydration options and found these from Nathan:
View attachment 597396
I looked back briefly at the marathon tips thread I started, but I didn't see them there. Did someone mention or recommend these in a different runDisney thread? Anyone have any experience with any of these types of hydration options? I'm not a fan of running and holding on to things, but I'm wondering if this will be more tolerable since it's strapped to your hand. They come in different sizes, and some have insulated bottles which could help keep the water a little colder. I'm willing to try one of them (or something similar) because if I like it it'll definitely help with trying out different fueling and hydration options.
DopeyBadger mentioned it on a thread recently. I just got one like the one pictured and used on my Thursday and Saturday runs and I love it. My hand cramps up holding a bottle of water, but I feel like I should have some with me. The little pocket holds my car keys (wrapped in a mask so I don’t have to listen to them jingle, and I have a mask in case I need to stop somewhere and need it)

I looked back briefly at the marathon tips thread I started, but I didn't see them there. Did someone mention or recommend these in a different runDisney thread? Anyone have any experience with any of these types of hydration options?

That's my go to type bottle when I run races. I never have to grip it, but the volume is small enough not to throw off my gait. It works well for races (like runDIsney) that have a lot of water stops. Because you can just slow down and refill the bottle on the run from the cups.

DopeyBadger mentioned it on a thread recently. I just got one like the one pictured and used on my Thursday and Saturday runs and I love it. My hand cramps up holding a bottle of water, but I feel like I should have some with me. The little pocket holds my car keys (wrapped in a mask so I don’t have to listen to them jingle, and I have a mask in case I need to stop somewhere and need it)
That's my go to type bottle when I run races. I never have to grip it, but the volume is small enough not to throw off my gait. It works well for races (like runDIsney) that have a lot of water stops. Because you can just slow down and refill the bottle on the run from the cups.
Excellent, thank you! They have good reviews too. I’m going to order one after I do some research on the different types.

Tuesday, August 17, 2021
Today starts week 2 of the marathon training plan. Easy 2 miles all week! One thing I've noticed in the last week is that the longer run intervals make each mile seem to go faster. Two miles feels like nothing, but I'm cherishing these runs now after the hot weather we had last week. I guess I can say I got some brief heat acclimation training in... :sunny:

START:
Weather Conditions:
Mostly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 70 + 66 = 136
Wind: SSE 4 mph
Humidity: 85%

END:
Weather Conditions:
Mostly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 74 + 66 = 140
Feels Like: 74
Wind: S 7 mph
Humidity: 77%
Running Conditions Index: 8

Outdoor Walk:
Focus:
Warm up
Total Time: 0:09:26
Avg. Pace: 18'47"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Distance: 2.08 mi
Total Time: 0:28:55
Avg. Pace: 13'53"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'44"
2 = 13'56"
0.08 = 15'11"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus:
Total Time: 0:28:52
Avg. Pace: 13'51"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'50"
2 = 13'56"
3 = 13'24"

Outdoor Walk:
Focus:
Cool down
Total Time: 0:09:17
Avg. Pace: 18'27"mi

I did a 5 minute post-run stretch and had some chocolate milk once I got home.

Last week I didn't think about my pace as much, and today I honestly couldn't remember what my target pace should be. I was surprised to hear "13" in my average pace announcement, and started to think I was going too fast because I've only heard 14 recently lol. Although I slowed down unnecessarily, I'm glad to know my easy/LR pace is coming naturally now.

One week from today is Princess half marathon registration! :cheer2:

Thursday, August 19, 2021
I've never trained in the fall/winter, but I have ran a number of 5Ks in January. I was missing that type of weather today!

I didn't sleep well last night at all. I slept off and on until I gave up and got myself ready. It was still a little dark, so I took my time. I had a little breakfast and did a 5 min pre-run warmup before heading out to start my run. The first thing I noticed was the humidity. The air felt so heavy. As an asthmatic I was a little concerned, but I was thankful that it was only a 2 mile run today.

START:
Temp + Dew Point: 78 + 76 = 154
Feels Like: 85
Wind: S 14 mph
Humidity: 91%
Running Conditions Index: 4

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 78 + 76 = 154
Feels Like: 85
Wind: SSW 13 mph
Running Conditions Index: 4

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:14
Avg. Pace: 18'16"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Total Time: 0:29:04
Avg. Pace: 13'58"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'00"
2 = 13'54"
0.08 = 14'19"

(Intervals Pro)
Distance: 2.07 mi
Avg. Pace: 13'54"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'02"
2 = 13'53"
3 = 13'15"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:26
Avg. Pace: 18'46"mi

I did a 5 minute post-run stretch once I got home.

Today's run was certainly not fun. I took it easy and got it done, but I was so thankful for the short mileage and the easy pace. This weekend calls for thunderstorms on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so it'll be interesting to see how I get those miles in. I might be able to run Saturday morning if it doesn't start too early, but Sunday isn't looking promising...

Two off topic notes:

- I finally ordered my Nathan handheld today. I ended up going with the SpeedShot Plus (12 oz), and added a set of Race Caps to try out vs the push/pull cap it comes with.
- I was doing some reading online, and developed an interest in learning more about the Marine Corps Marathon. Granted, I need to finish this plan and make it through my first WDW marathon first, but if I finish that and don't swear off marathons (hopefully I won't because Dopey was my next goal) I think that race might be added to my race goals list!

Last edited:
Saturday, August 21, 2021
Not sleeping well last night yet again lead to me oversleeping a bit this morning. I had enough time to get dressed and get out the door, but I like doing my 5 min pre-run warmup first and that didn't happen.

The weather wasn't too bad today, but it was very humid and I could feel the sweat, which was so uncomfortable. I know I keep saying this but I can't wait for steady cooler weather.

START:
Weather Conditions: Mostly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 72 + 72 = 144
Feels Like: 72
Wind: SSE 3 mph
Humidity: 100%

END:
Weather Conditions: Mostly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 75 + 72 = 147
Feels Like: 75
Wind: SSE 3 mph

Outdoor Walk:
Distance: 0.51 mi
Total Time: 0:09:01
Avg. Pace: 17'38"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Total Time: 0:29:02
Avg. Pace: 14'00"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'53"
2 = 13'57"
0.07 = 16'22"

(Intervals Pro)
Avg. Pace: 13'56"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'54"
2 = 13'58"
3 = 14'42"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:03
Avg. Pace: 18'03"mi

I'm doing a summer miles challenge so I walked an extra mile afterwards, and then did a 5 min post-run stretch when I got home, which for some reason was much needed today.

I know it doesn't look like it, but I did try to slow down my pace today. I've been fairly consistent in my pacing, but still faster than I should be, and I guess it's just a bad habit at this point. Luckily I've got about a month of Easy/LR pace only weeks so that's plenty of time to keep working at it.

Sunday, August 22, 2021

Today was supposed to be another 2 mile run, but a hurricane warning put an end to that. I was actually up early enough too (figures), and it wasn't raining right away, but I was too nervous to chance it. I'm glad I didn't because it was raining pretty steadily by the time I would've been running anyway. My plan at this point is to make it up tomorrow, so I'll be doing my back to back runs Monday/Tuesday instead. The air is so cool and refreshing right now, and I'm hoping that lasts through the morning!

Last edited:
Monday, August 23, 2021
This morning I woke up with intentions to make up my 2 mile run from yesterday. Clearly the weather had other plans, but I got ready anyway and figured I’ll just suck it up and get it done. Did my 5 min pre-run warmup, headed out, and found out my favorite running spot is closed since yesterday’s hurricane warning… :worried:

It’s only 2 miles so I decided to try the local track, but of course there’s practice going on there this morning… :sad2:

By that point I started getting hungry so I came back home and had breakfast. I’m keeping an eye on the forecast, so at this point the plan is to wait and see if the weather clears up at all, and then try to find a safe place to get these 2 miles in. I’m determined to get them done somehow because I don’t want to skip a run! I’m not a fan of treadmills, but at this point I wish I had one. I’d be done by now…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter