- Jul 4, 2015
Hi everyone! This is my first (ever) training journal, and despite saying I'd just use a notebook to keep track for myself, I decided to create my own thread here. If anyone decides to continue reading, please be patient with me! Despite being a fairly long time member of the Disboards, I've never done a lengthy thread of my own. We'll see how this goes!
Okay, so a little bit of information before I begin:
- When I was younger, I hated running.
- Fast forward many years, and somehow I wanted to do it and actually enjoyed it.
- I started out backwards. I signed up for many races, and never did any formal training. Not that I was a "I don't need to train" person, but I guess I used the races as my "informal training." I'd start in the back, informally run/walk as much as I could, and try to improve my time with each race I did. I've run numerous 5Ks, as well as some 5 mile and 10K races this way.
- In 2018 I ran my first runDisney race weekend (the Disney Princess Half Marathon weekend). I heard about runDisney and learned as much as I could from the runDisney forum. I registered for and ran the 5K and 10K that year and had a BLAST. That weekend was a weekend like no other. I decided that the following year I wanted to push myself to run my first ever half marathon in Disney.
- I signed up for the 2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend (5K and Fairy Tale Challenge), and continued signing up for races as my informal training. No real plan except to run more, and try to get faster. I signed up for a local 10K race for POT and just made it with a finish time of 1:14:36.
- Running my first half marathon, along with the 5K and the 10K in 2019 was another amazing experience. I know most people don't like Princess weekend, but it's the only one that has worked for my schedule, and I have no complaints! This could be because I have nothing to compare it to, but that's okay! I never felt more accomplished than the day I crossed my first half marathon finish line.
- I ran more races in preparation for 2020, along with a little running on my own. I ran the same local race for POT and strived to do better than I did before. Goal accomplished: finish time of 1:13:30!
- This year I completed all three races for the 2020 Princess Half Marathon weekend. The weather was pretty terrible (freezing and raining... until the sun came out during the half) and clothing/outfit wise I was no where near prepared. I was one of those people at Disney Springs the afternoon of the 5K shopping for cold weather gear! Although I enjoyed the overall experience, I'm glad it wasn't my first runDisney experience. I probably wouldn't have wanted to do it again!
This year I went through the nail biting registration experience again, and I'm in for all three races again for Princess Weekend 2021. With dismay, I noticed the POT requirements changed, and it's a pretty far reach for me.
The covid-19 pandemic has drastically changed my running plans, because all of my normal races have turned to virtual. This was a little heartbreaking, because that means my chances for POT got even slimmer. However, I will say it was also a positive because it lead me to realize how much I enjoy running for me, and how I want to change my methods and try an actual training plan.
I reached out on a thread here on the boards, and received my first training plan from @DopeyBadger!
I start tomorrow and I'm feeling all the feels!
So here it begins. I don't know how often I'll post here, but I hope to keep up with it and learn a lot in the process. Here are my current goals to push me through this new journey:
1. Get faster. (not a drastic improvement, but I want to see progress)
2. Run my first marathon at WDW (2022?)
3. Stretch goal = Complete my first Dopey Challenge (2023?)